Skip Bayless on Kyler Murray

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I would not be shocked if Kyler Murray wins MVP. I've got Tom Brady as my favorite right now, but Kyler is right there at 1A for me. More @Undisputed, now on FS1

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't know he was so high on Murray. I am really high on Murray as well. Many aren't, however.

I named Kyler Murray as my fifth best QB in a Twitter reply, not on that Tweet. I got a lot of grief for it. I also got a lot of grief for it on here the other day lol. I'm a believer.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm a believer.
Well hopefully by the time the season is over you'll look more like a belieber. Because him winning MVP is really bad for the Rams.

Probably why you don't get a lot of buy-in on this on a Rams site too btw. It may happen but I'm not gonna get myself all psyched up for an asshole playing for another team in my division.

dang

Legend
I used to think Bayless had decent takes even when i didn’t agree but that was 8-10 years ago. relevance has passed him by and his dramatic schtick is no longer entertaining.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I don't believe he'll be MVP. But I do think he's gonna do well and maybe lead the Cards to the Playoffs. There is an extra Wild Card slot. But it also wouldn't surprise me if they miss out entirely.

I believe the NFCW has a great chance of being the best division in football this year. ARZ is gonna be good and still might finish last in their division. That's impressive. But ARZ is not a complete team, as Shannon eluded.

oldnotdead

Legend
He's done nothing yet. :palm: This is the kid who had 20 TDs and 12 INTs and 4 of the TD's were rushing. He hasn't proven he can read NFL defenses yet or carry a team with his arm. He's a runner first and passer second. He's like Baker, take away his early reads and he doesn't know what to do so he forces the ball or runs. Like Baker, DCs have a book on the kid so let's see how he does now. Don't forget he's playing in the same offensive scheme as he was in college. He should have actually played better.

Actually Murray and Mayfield played about the same last year. Like Murray, of Baker's 21 TD's 3 were running. Both had pretty much the same number of attempts and fairly close to the same yardage passing. Neither one has proved they are legit franchise QB's or can play at this level yet. To once again show you how messed up PFF is they rate Mayfield almost 10 points higher than Murray even though he threw more INTs than passing TDs.

Speaking of Baker, IMO this is a make or break year for him. If he continues to slide I think the Browns will be drafting their next franchise QB in 2021. In his second year Mayfield appeared to regress. Actually, he didn't regress as much as he didn't improve and defenses now know how to beat him by keeping him in the pocket taking away his early reads and forcing him to make a throw. After last year's debacle there are once again question about Mayfield's work ethic. The Browns have a contract out year in 2021. LMAO

Murray needs to show development in being able to read NFL level defenses. I expect teams to play him like they do Baker Mayfield, i.e. to take away his first reads and make him beat you by being patient and reading defenses. Otherwise he will be on the same career trajectory as Mayfield.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't know he was so high on Murray. I am really high on Murray as well. Many aren't, however.

I named Kyler Murray as my fifth best QB in a Twitter reply, not on that Tweet. I got a lot of grief for it. I also got a lot of grief for it on here the other day lol. I'm a believer.

You deserved to get grief. It's one thing to be optimistic about his future outlook; it's another thing entirely to believe he's shown something he hasn't. He hasn't shown nearly enough to be a top 15 QB yet, much less a top 5 QB.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
You deserved to get grief. It's one thing to be optimistic about his future outlook; it's another thing entirely to believe he's shown something he hasn't. He hasn't shown nearly enough to be a top 15 QB yet, much less a top 5 QB.

Your 6-15, insert Kyler on those teams and those team's QB's in ARZ last year. For example, had Chiefs played DET last year with Murray in for Stafford, we would have lost.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Skip Bayless is ok, y'all. He is a really intelligent writer, and I wish most of them stuck to that instead of the shock jock/argumentative analysis we see in sports these days. Skip cherry picks his stats to back his argument up, and I will admit that it is nauseating. It doesn't matter if it is about the Rams or not. I just can't take anybody's take seriously when the manipulate data. Shannon Sharpe knows his stuff, and although his antics get quirky, he is a good listen.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your 6-15, insert Kyler on those teams and those team's QB's in ARZ last year. For example, had Chiefs played DET last year with Murray in for Stafford, we would have lost.

What are you talking about, man? The numbers tell a completely different story:
Stafford
8 games
187/291
64.3%
2499 yards
8.6 YPA
19 TDs
5 Ints
106.0 Passer Rating

Murray
349/542
64.4%
3722 yards
6.9 YPA
20 TDs
12 Ints
87.4 Passer Rating

Top 16 QBs in no order:
Patrick Mahomes
Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson
Lamar Jackson
Deshaun Watson
Carson Wentz
Jared Goff
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Ryan
Dak Prescott
Kirk Cousins
Matt Stafford
Philip Rivers
Jimmy Garoppolo

Murray had a good year for a rookie QB. He didn't have a good year for a starting NFL QB.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What are you talking about, man? The numbers tell a completely different story:
Stafford
8 games
187/291
64.3%
2499 yards
8.6 YPA
19 TDs
5 Ints
106.0 Passer Rating

Murray
349/542
64.4%
3722 yards
6.9 YPA
20 TDs
12 Ints
87.4 Passer Rating

Top 16 QBs in no order:
Patrick Mahomes
Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson
Lamar Jackson
Deshaun Watson
Carson Wentz
Jared Goff
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Ryan
Dak Prescott
Kirk Cousins
Matt Stafford
Philip Rivers
Jimmy Garoppolo

Murray had a good year for a rookie QB. He didn't have a good year for a starting NFL QB.
You needed to BOLD Jared Goff's name...

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think the Cardinals will either be really good or really bad.
Here's my reasons why;
1. If the Cardinals end up being really bad which is the way I'm leaning. Is because it takes about a full season for the rest of the NFL to completely adjust to a whole new coaching staff. No team really new what to expect with Kingsbury coaching staff. Also a rookie qb. I think NFL teams will know how to attack them better this next season causing major problems for Murray.
2. If Kingsbury doesn't make the same mistake as mcvay made in year 3. If Kingsbury evolves his offense even more giving opponents new looks and gameplans the Cardinals could be a surprise team. They are young and have experience in all the right places.
I think the Rams gave the league a pretty good blueprint on how to beat Murray. He's a very small QB and if you get pressure up the middle he's going to struggle because of his height. He also doesn't have Wilsons speed or elusiveness.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Let's just Skip this or other people known as Skip or Skippy.
1590448492217.png

1590448347667.png

1590448379781.png

1590448552608.png

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Cardinals will either be really good or really bad.
Here's my reasons why;
1. If the Cardinals end up being really bad which is the way I'm leaning. Is because it takes about a full season for the rest of the NFL to completely adjust to a whole new coaching staff. No team really new what to expect with Kingsbury coaching staff. Also a rookie qb. I think NFL teams will know how to attack them better this next season causing major problems for Murray.
2. If Kingsbury doesn't make the same mistake as mcvay made in year 3. If Kingsbury evolves his offense even more giving opponents new looks and gameplans the Cardinals could be a surprise team. They are young and have experience in all the right places.
I think the Rams gave the league a pretty good blueprint on how to beat Murray. He's a very small QB and if you get pressure up the middle he's going to struggle because of his height. He also doesn't have Wilsons speed or elusiveness.

The big problem for the Cardinals is that Kliff Kingsbury isn't Sean McVay. Kingsbury couldn't win in the Big 12.

DVontel

Rookie
The big problem for the Cardinals is that Kliff Kingsbury isn't Sean McVay. Kingsbury couldn't win in the Big 12.
Dennis Green also couldn’t win in the PAC 12, but he had a rather successful tenure with the Vikings.

Definitely not saying the same will happen to Kliff, but I wouldn’t 100% rule it out. There’s stuff you can get away in the NFL that you couldn’t in college.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dennis Green also couldn’t win in the PAC 12, but he had a rather successful tenure with the Vikings.

Definitely not saying the same will happen to Kliff, but I wouldn’t 100% rule it out. There’s stuff you can get away in the NFL that you couldn’t in college.

While that's true, Kliff performed worse than his two predecessors, Mike Leach and Tommy Tuberville. And it wasn't like he couldn't get talent. Look at the QBs he had. And yes, that was a testament to his ability to find talent at the position, but the big problem with him has always been an inability to field a defense. I don't see Vance Joseph being the answer to his prayers.