Skip Bayless on Kyler Murray

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DVontel

Rookie
While that's true, Kliff performed worse than his two predecessors, Mike Leach and Tommy Tuberville. And it wasn't like he couldn't get talent. Look at the QBs he had. And yes, that was a testament to his ability to find talent at the position, but the big problem with him has always been an inability to field a defense. I don't see Vance Joseph being the answer to his prayers.
Mike Leach is a good college coach. I won’t argue that. Both Tuberville & Kingsbury never finished higher than 8-5, so idk about that one.

Both Mahomes & Mayfield were 3 stars. That’s okay. Especially for a school like Texas Tech where they never even had a 5 star recruit at any position. It’s not like Trevor Lawerence or Deshaun Watson dropped into his hands.

I don’t believe in Vance Joseph either, so, yea. Either he learns from his mistakes or he’ll get the pink slip before the season ends. Especially with the talent upgrades.

One thing I loved that Kliff showed last year is adaptability. He’s not going to force a square peg in a round hole. That’s what separates the good coaches from the great ones. Now, it’s all about continuing up.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What are you talking about, man? The numbers tell a completely different story:
Stafford
8 games
187/291
64.3%
2499 yards
8.6 YPA
19 TDs
5 Ints
106.0 Passer Rating

Murray
349/542
64.4%
3722 yards
6.9 YPA
20 TDs
12 Ints
87.4 Passer Rating

Top 16 QBs in no order:
Patrick Mahomes
Drew Brees
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson
Lamar Jackson
Deshaun Watson
Carson Wentz
Jared Goff
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Ryan
Dak Prescott
Kirk Cousins
Matt Stafford
Philip Rivers
Jimmy Garoppolo

Murray had a good year for a rookie QB. He didn't have a good year for a starting NFL QB.
Would Stafford had put up those same numbers in ARZ? But shoot, I'd say Hop and Fitz is better than the DET duo anyhow. Kid is gonna light it up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both Mahomes & Mayfield were 3 stars. That’s okay. Especially for a school like Texas Tech where they never even had a 5 star recruit at any position. It’s not like Trevor Lawerence or Deshaun Watson dropped into his hands.

What? Star rating doesn't matter once guys step on the field. Mayfield was a #1 pick, and Mahomes went top 10 before becoming arguably the best QB in the NFL. Hat's off to Kliff for finding them. But he should have done better with QB talent like that.

Would Stafford had put up those same numbers in ARZ? But shoot, I'd say Hop and Fitz is better than the DET duo anyhow. Kid is gonna light it up.

Who knows. Would he have put up better numbers than Murray? Yes. But Murray was a rookie. That's not surprising. Regardless, he hasn't shown enough at this point to call him a top 5 QB. Here are 5 QBs: Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, and Russell Wilson. Which of those five QBs does Murray best? That's without even adding the 2019 NFL MVP (Lamar Jackson).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All this Murray talk is just like all the Baker Mayfield talk before last season. Will see what he's got after the coaches have an off season watching tape and being prepared for him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both Tuberville & Kingsbury never finished higher than 8-5, so idk about that one.
Tuberville was a bad fit offensively which is why he jumped to Cincinnati. Dude had a winning record at every program he coached. Kingsbury was a disaster at T-Tech. Mayfield was a walk on at Tech, not even a recruit, and he left because Kingsbury favored Davis Webb over him. Yikes.
Then he couldnt even post a winning record with Mahomes as his QB.
4 losing seasons out of 6, which is bad on its own right, but made worse when you consider that Texas Tech had only 4 losing seasons from 1986 to 2013.
We'll see what happens, but I'm seeing more Freddie Kitchens than Sean McVay in Arizona

Ram65

Legend
Hopkins gives him a chance to move up the QB latter but not near the top-level. He will need more help. As stated NFL defenses have seen video and know how to attack him. Year two will be very telling for both Murray and the media darling Cardinals.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Hopkins gives him a chance to move up the QB latter but not near the top-level. He will need more help. As stated NFL defenses have seen video and know how to attack him. Year two will be very telling for both Murray and the media darling Cardinals.

Rapp figured out how to read Murray like a damn children's book, if Murray can't complicate whatever Taylor saw, NFL defenses are going to be quick to adapt.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
What? Star rating doesn't matter once guys step on the field. Mayfield was a #1 pick, and Mahomes went top 10 before becoming arguably the best QB in the NFL. Hat's off to Kliff for finding them. But he should have done better with QB talent like that.

Who knows. Would he have put up better numbers than Murray? Yes. But Murray was a rookie. That's not surprising. Regardless, he hasn't shown enough at this point to call him a top 5 QB. Here are 5 QBs: Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, and Russell Wilson. Which of those five QBs does Murray best? That's without even adding the 2019 NFL MVP (Lamar Jackson).

Perhaps he would have put up bigger numbers than Murray in ARZ. But I believe Stafford would rather be throwing to Jones and Galladay than Fitz and Kirk.

As for top 5, no QB over 35 is in mine and mobility weighs heavy with me. I like the new age QB's like Watson and Murray. The X factor is just how good will Murray be as opposed to finished product that is Stafford. I expect Hopkins to have a big impact on this conversation when the season starts.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Perhaps he would have put up bigger numbers than Murray in ARZ. But I believe Stafford would rather be throwing to Jones and Galladay than Fitz and Kirk.

As for top 5, no QB over 35 is in mine and mobility weighs heavy with me. I like the new age QB's like Watson and Murray. The X factor is just how good will Murray be as opposed to finished product that is Stafford. I expect Hopkins to have a big impact on this conversation when the season starts.
New Age? Like RGIII, Mariota and Andrew Luck? Michael Vick perhaps? I don’t understand why you think QB who can run is something new

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The ability to move the football and score points while minimizing turnovers is what matters to me. I don't care if you're a slug or a cheetah. And no, the X factor shouldn't be how good Murray will be. We're talking about who is in the top 5 now, right? Like I said before, I have no issue with anybody being optimistic about Murray's future. But he hasn't played anywhere close to the level of a top 10 QB yet, much less a top 5 QB.

Rapp figured out how to read Murray like a damn children's book, if Murray can't complicate whatever Taylor saw, NFL defenses are going to be quick to adapt.

Murray is a talented kid who very could have a bright future. I liked him as a prospect and think he can be dangerous if he develops. But he wasn't impressive against us last year. He unsurprisingly played like a rookie QB. He was absolutely horrendous the first time we played them. The Cardinals couldn't move the ball until we pulled our starters. And in the second game, I recall Murray being very sloppy with the football despite the fact that we were down our two starting CBs.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
New Age? Like RGIII, Mariota and Andrew Luck? Michael Vick perhaps? I don’t understand why you think QB who can run is something new

A RB catching the ball out of the backfield wasn't unheard of. Then Faulk came along.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
The ability to move the football and score points while minimizing turnovers is what matters to me. I don't care if you're a slug or a cheetah. And no, the X factor shouldn't be how good Murray will be. We're talking about who is in the top 5 now, right? Like I said before, I have no issue with anybody being optimistic about Murray's future. But he hasn't played anywhere close to the level of a top 10 QB yet, much less a top 5 QB.

Murray is a talented kid who very could have a bright future. I liked him as a prospect and think he can be dangerous if he develops. But he wasn't impressive against us last year. He unsurprisingly played like a rookie QB. He was absolutely horrendous the first time we played them. The Cardinals couldn't move the ball until we pulled our starters. And in the second game, I recall Murray being very sloppy with the football despite the fact that we were down our two starting CBs.

In the past he didn't have Hopkins. I liked him as a prospect as well. I was never a fan of Baker, however.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A RB catching the ball out of the backfield wasn't unheard of. Then Faulk came along.

Okay, but wouldn't the "Faulk" be Michael Vick or Lamar Jackson Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson or Cam Newton? Why pick Murray and Watson?

In the past he didn't have Hopkins. I liked him as a prospect as well. I was never a fan of Baker, however.

WRs don't make QBs.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Okay, but wouldn't the "Faulk" be Michael Vick or Lamar Jackson Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson or Cam Newton? Why pick Murray and Watson?

WRs don't make QBs.

Because they weren't in your top five, but they were mine lol.

Faulk would be Mahomes anyhow.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Bucky Brooks from nfl network thinks Murray wins mvp as well. He also said something about the cards going worst to first. I don’t think anybody’s winning mvp without having a good record or at least above .500, especially with Lamar and Mahomes still on the rise. I don’t see any reason to expect the cards to win the west this year, if anything everybody ends up 9-7.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because they weren't in your top five, but they were mine lol.

Faulk would be Mahomes anyhow.

Fair enough. (Murray shouldn't be in anybody's top five.)

Bucky Brooks from nfl network thinks Murray wins mvp as well. He also said something about the cards going worst to first. I don’t think anybody’s winning mvp without having a good record or at least above .500, especially with Lamar and Mahomes still on the rise. I don’t see any reason to expect the cards to win the west this year, if anything everybody ends up 9-7.

The Cardinals are a paper tiger. That defense still isn't good, their OL is shaky, and people are assuming Murray makes a massive jump. That is far from guaranteed.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't understand why sports media gets so excited about a qb that runs. What's so exciting about it?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And while Faulk was good at it, he wasnt the same RB out of the backfield with the Colts as he was with the Rams. Whats your point again? That Michael Vick and RGIII revolutionized the game?