Should we make a trade?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I agree. I think the only thing that caused a change was a loss. Waiting until have 5 to make a change that seemed obvious prior to game 3 isn't what I'd call "quick and decisive" either. There's something to be said for staying the course if we're winning, but I'm always in favor of looking at how we improve. Other teams are always looking to improve against us, so if you aren't trying to move forward you're headed backward.

This makes me wonder how much attention you paid last year because Staley invented the Star position and was using Ramsey there last year. It was talked about last year. It was taken about on preseason how we were continuing to use it as a carry over from last year. I forget the exact number, but it was something like 20% of the time Ramsey was in Star last year. The major difference is that this year he's there over 50% of the time. There was an article on this about a week ago.

No it was different he was more lockdown with extra stuff sprinkled in. Ramsey himself said he was excited last year. However this year under Morris and you can find the articles everywhere he himself said the way he will be used is so exciting new ways similar but with a lot more new wrinkles and he can't wait but can't give away too much and I'm paraphrasing. So maybe Morris is doing to much of a good thing or he isn't picking and choosing when to use Ramsey in this special role at the correct times.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
No it was different he was more lockdown with extra stuff sprinkled in. Ramsey himself said he was excited last year. However this year under Morris and you can find the articles everywhere he himself said the way he will be used is so exciting new ways similar but with a lot more new wrinkles and he can't wait but can't give away too much and I'm paraphrasing. So maybe Morris is doing to much of a good thing or he isn't picking and choosing when to use Ramsey in this special role at the correct times.
He's definitely using it too much and probably at the wrong times. I'll agree with you there.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I love Jourdan but I for the first time ever disagree whole heartedly with her. Say that to Staley. Seems he used Ramsey perfectly. We lost JJ who I loved and Hill not Ronnie Lott and Daryl Green!!! Morris just watch the tapes from last year damn it!!!!!
But Staley did use him like that.
And the problems Thursday night? Did they have anything to do with how Ramsey was used? I'd say no.
Rest of the guys need to pick it up.
Moving Ramsey around created one of the ints.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Don't know who we would even trade for and who would even be worth anything. I think having Gilmore become available was an anomaly.

MachS

Hall of Fame
But Staley did use him like that.
And the problems Thursday night? Did they have anything to do with how Ramsey was used? I'd say no.
Rest of the guys need to pick it up.
Moving Ramsey around created one of the ints.
Staley used Ramsey at the star position last year yes, but usually on early base-set downs, and moreso against teams without a #1 alpha WR. VS the teams with an elite WR, Ramsey played outside a lot and shadowed them 90% of the game.

I get the theory Morris has spoken of, thay Jalen is such a good tackler and physical player, he should be used more in the box or to combat the running game. But when his usage inside becomes a detriment to our coverage scheme its inexcusable. He's the best damn cover corner in the league. He should be used inside as a luxury when he doesn't need to cover an elite WR. Thats how Staley deployed him. When he needs to lock down a WR he should play outside the whole game and shut them down like last year. I just dont get why Morris is trying to overthink things. It's like he's trying to live up to Staley's genius instead of just playing sound, fundamental football. The shit is foolish.

And this has nothing to do with how he's using Rapp, Fuller, and D Will and the soft 10 yard constant cushions. Thats an entirely different conversation he's failing at too. Its just an all around dumpster fire IMO in our secondary right now. Our saving grace is the DL is playing excellent. If they weren't playing as well the defense would be far worse given how bad our coverage has been.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Don't know who we would even trade for and who would even be worth anything. I think having Gilmore become available was an anomaly.

I can't imagine anyone listed earlier in this thread other than A'Shawn Robinson and/or a draft pick as having a cent worth of trade value, and which crazy team would be willing to pick up Robinson's CAP hit ? I suppose it's possible some play-off bound team could suffer a DL injury prior to Nov. 2'nd, ... but I'm not seeing it as viable at the moment. jmo.

TexasRam

Legend
Loved listening to the Jourdan Rodrigue rant on Ramsey and how he's being used.
People who think you stick a guy like him on the other team's number one and that's it may also be people who think you "have to establish the run" to win in the NFL.
You make it easier for an offense if you stay static in your fronts and coverages, that's why "multiple" has been the biggest NFL buzzword for the past few years.
It's not about Ramsey and how he is or isn't' being used.. it's about pretty much everything else around him.
The safeties got to do better and the other corners have to do better.
Morris probably has to do better, but I'm not sure how much of that is in coming up with a scheme as it is communicating what he wants and needs from his guys.
The good news is that we know he's not obstinate... his move to Rochelle was quick and decisive.
Let's hope Williams ain't down long.
The Rochell move was quick and decisive as mentioned and that was good to see.

Now we need him to get some play time to see if he can be the answer there. At a minumum he is a better tackler than Long.

Now man up the corners. Knock WR's off routes and force the QB to hesistate, rather than to see wide open guys running through zones, the hesistation will create more sacks and turnovers guaranteed.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Rams need to save picks for the next franchise LT they'll be trading for.
Any trade they make will be one of these 5th/6th round type deals. Although those normally mean taking on some salary which I doubt they want to do. However if they see a missing piece out there, especially if they suffer a key injury, they may do it.

Saw an article that mentioned potential players on the move. Joe Haden was an interesting name for a one or two yr run. Also, Dante Fowler was listed, but he would come with around a $4M cap hit.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Rams D lost 5 players whose new contracts add up to about 86 million dollars & the best young defensive mind in the game.
Of COURSE there was going to be a dropoff.
Morris ain’t Staley… who is?

Morris definitely needs to make some adjustments.

But ignoring what they lost when analyzing this D doesn’t give a fair picture.

Long has been a tremendous disappointment replacing an excellent defensive back and Rapp just ain’t Johnson. We all expected Burgess to be competing, but he’s not. The pass rush isn’t up to last year yet.
It’s going to take time, but this can still be a top 10 D, especially in points.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
What picks? That train left the station.
As of now they have 10 picks in this upcoming draft. Granted 5 are in rds 6 & 7, but they still have 4 picks in the first four rds as well. So they have picks and any trade would be for a vet worth about a 5th or 6th.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It took years before Troy Hill was good.
I'm hoping Long can still contribute at a high level, but it's probably going to have to be inside. For sure, they know they can't have him isolated on big guys outside. He just can't compete.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ramsey's potential is not being maximized, as demonstrated by Thursday's game.
How do you know? If he just guarded one WR, or shut down as it were, there are more than one decent receiver on the Hawks squad. The other CB's have to produce in whatever system we employ.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How do you know? If he just guarded one WR, or shut down as it were, there are more than one decent receiver on the Hawks squad. The other CB's have to produce in whatever system we employ.

Just look at Metcalf's first td. Ramsey was positioned on the goal line, 10 yards away from metcalf. A simple slant route and Ramsey was left there holding his dick while Metcalf strolled in for a td.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just look at Metcalf's first td. Ramsey was positioned on the goal line, 10 yards away from metcalf. A simple slant route and Ramsey was left there holding his dick while Metcalf strolled in for a td.

I'm just saying that "Star" idea seems to be to get the best CB in the NFL more active in different quadrants of the game, instead locking down a guy and getting ignored all game. I don't like what happened in that play either, but Staley didn't get rolling with his defense until almost midway into the season. There were calls early on about missing Wade then, too...

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Any trade they make will be one of these 5th/6th round type deals. Although those normally mean taking on some salary which I doubt they want to do. However if they see a missing piece out there, especially if they suffer a key injury, they may do it.

Saw an article that mentioned potential players on the move. Joe Haden was an interesting name for a one or two yr run. Also, Dante Fowler was listed, but he would come with around a $4M cap hit.
It's going to happen. The Rams move 1's for only sure things and they'll do it again so draftnik fans need to get used to no number one picks for awhile.

I'm comfortable saying that the Rams have no delusions of developing their next LT or that he's on the current roster or they might luck into one via rookie. They'll go get (trade) for another veteran stud because it's a vital position.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
What picks? That train left the station.
Future ones. They're free. Every team gets one every year. As far as other picks the Rams have had plenty every draft since 2016, despite the narratives that they have no draft capital.

Timing is everything of course in terms of when big Whit does decide to retire and when the Rams throw more #1's on the table. They may have to bridge a season with Noteboom or another stopgap.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Future ones. They're free. Every team gets one every year. As far as other picks the Rams have had plenty every draft since 2016, despite the narratives that they have no draft capital.

Timing is everything of course in terms of when big Whit does decide to retire and when the Rams throw more #1's on the table. They may have to bridge a season with Noteboom or another stopgap.
Or inject Whit with formaldehyde to keep him well preserved for another three years...