Should we make a trade?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I disagree when I see Long and Rochelle getting burned over and over. Rochelle at least has an excuse being a rookie and should improve with more experience.
I saw Rochelle make a really nice play late in the game when he stepped in front of the receiver 15 yards down field to knock the ball away. Our corners are better in man than zone. Why is Morris having so much trouble seeing this?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I saw Rochelle make a really nice play late in the game when he stepped in front of the receiver 15 yards down field to knock the ball away. Our corners are better in man than zone. Why is Morris having so much trouble seeing this?
He seems to not have the touch, as Staley did. It's like he's trying to force them into his scheme.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If you like to think about realistic trade possibilities, it makes sense to look at rebuilding / teams, or players that are unlikely to be retained beyond the current season.

I was really high on C.J. Henderson, and thought Carolina made a terrific trade.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
No traded needed. Rams need a different DC. Morris needs to change and adapt. Because having the DBs and LBs give huge spaces for opposing RBs, WRs and TEs easy open lanes to run through, Rams will not go to the playoffs or SB. When the defense is giving huge chunks of yards, it won’t matter if you have two HOF defensive players at their best when opposing offenses are dictating your defense at will with your players playing out of position.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought the "Star" position was meant to maximize Ramsey's potential? We may not have have the Corner talent to operate Staley's next level plan for the defense, but Ramsey is being utilized more than just locking down one corner of the field, but actually affects more territory with the Star.
Ramsey's potential is not being maximized, as demonstrated by Thursday's game.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Another team 4th CB

Trade Bait?
SS-Taylor Rapp
RT- Bobby Evans
DL- A'Shawn Robinson
CB- David Long
FS-Nick Scott
ILB/SS Travin Howard

Trade bait for what, a late round pick? Most of these guys aren't going to get much value, especially not a starting calibre player, likely nobody to be a major upgrade at CB without losing more than we're gaining.

Long isn't a scheme fit, maybe if they keep him inside they can protect him from some of the weaknesses, but allowing him to match up against players who the entire league can outmatch him is a coaching error more than anything. Similar with Rapp, he's being used wrong more than anything. Regardless none of the other guys would fetch more than a late round pick, if that, other than maybe Robinson, and I really don't see any reason to get rid of him, especially without anybody really to slot into his spot.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Loved listening to the Jourdan Rodrigue rant on Ramsey and how he's being used.
People who think you stick a guy like him on the other team's number one and that's it may also be people who think you "have to establish the run" to win in the NFL.
You make it easier for an offense if you stay static in your fronts and coverages, that's why "multiple" has been the biggest NFL buzzword for the past few years.
It's not about Ramsey and how he is or isn't' being used.. it's about pretty much everything else around him.
The safeties got to do better and the other corners have to do better.
Morris probably has to do better, but I'm not sure how much of that is in coming up with a scheme as it is communicating what he wants and needs from his guys.
The good news is that we know he's not obstinate... his move to Rochelle was quick and decisive.
Let's hope Williams ain't down long.

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
No traded needed. Rams need a different DC. Morris needs to change and adapt. Because having the DBs and LBs give huge spaces for opposing RBs, WRs and TEs easy open lanes to run through, Rams will not go to the playoffs or SB. When the defense is giving huge chunks of yards, it won’t matter if you have two HOF defensive players at their best when opposing offenses are dictating your defense at will with your players playing out of position.
I agree. Rams gotta stop giving up 6,7,8,9 yards of first down. Hard to win game when you let the opponent have 2nd and short every time.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The good news is that we know he's not obstinate... his move to Rochelle was quick and decisive.

Although I've heard this message being repeated here a few times by a couple of posters, not sure I'm willing to buy into it just yet. The first 4 games brought a lot of deserved criticism for David Long and how Morris was utilizing him, and this scrutiny may have finally caught up to Morris, so I'm not quite ready to allow that he is 100% responsible for making the change, although however it was accomplished, I'm happy it was done, ... but I'm not really qualifying it as 'quick and decisive'.
I don't know if Morris' continuation for playing his DB's in zone and so far off opposing receivers is being obstinate, or whether Burgess' inability to get on the field remains a health issue or is something else, or why JuJu & Scott get little playing time as Rapp appears so often as misused, ... it would be great to have a better understanding.
With the Giants, Lions & Texans coming up, hopefully we'll get an opportunity to see something a bit different.
jmo.

MachS

Hall of Fame
He seems to not have the touch, as Staley did. It's like he's trying to force them into his scheme.
Yea I get why McVay wanted Morris to try and keep Staley's scheme, but it was overly optimistic. Its like losing an all pro player, and asking his replacement to try and do things the exact same way. When will that ever work? Why would a lesser talented player who's used to doing things their own way be forced to change their technique and philosophy for the sake of continuity? Morris doesn't have the defensive mind Staley does, and he seems to be a worse play caller too.

Time for McVay to end this experiment. IMO we need to adapt more to Morris' natural tendencies and play less cover 4, more cover 2 and man defense. Our secondary looks too bad for this to continue. And we will have no shot to beat the Packers, Cardinals, Chiefs, Bills will our secondary playing this awful. Time for Burgess to start at safety the next few weeks as well.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
The defense is fine when the offense plays well. That is our path to the Super Bowl.

There isn't any player we can acquire to make a significant difference with how the defense plays.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
What about D Will looking terrible this year, getting burned non stop? How about Fuller who looked like a pro bowler last year and has been invisible through 5 games? How about Rapp getting picked on constantly in coverage? Because we are insistent on playing him as a deep cover safety instead of in the box, coming downhill where he could excell. What about taking an all pro CB and putting him in the slot, and LB more than outside? Is that a good idea?

This all falls on Morris' shoulders. These players didn't start just sucking all of a sudden. We have gone from the #1 defense to now currently ranked #27. This scheme is absolute shit. Its the coaches and coordinators job to put the players in the best situation to succeed. And to build a defense that accentuates their strengths and hides their weaknesses. Morris has failed miserably at this so far.

We dont know what Long is after 3 years and thats concerning. Rochelle is a rook like you said. But its impossible to put all the blame on them when we see how our other talented players have played so horribly.

Couldn't agree more. Morris seems like he is trying to reinvent the wheel. He wants to put his stamp on this defense especially with this new Ramsey role.
He definitely has put a stamp on it as terrible but your absolutely right it's not the players it's the scheme. It's not the same they can keep saying that but it isn't.

Just go back to putting your all Pro corners on the other teams best two receivers and worry about Long and Rochelle on 3rd wideout. Now with a team like Tampa we still would have issues the thing is regardless of schemes if the qb looks at Metcalf then Lockett and they covered your making the qb take more time (football 101) allowing us to get home for a sack pressure fumble or a mistake.
To me the whole key besides some missed tackling is this Ramsey crap. You want to look like a genius do it against teams that don't have excellent wide receivers 3+ or super mobile qbs like Murray or Wilson etc. then let Ramsey float if that's your brilliant plan against those weaker teams.

I know most of us in here know football and I'm not saying putting Ramsey back where he belongs fixes everything. You may still need a corner because the young guys aren't ready or are horrible.

That said I think for reasons mentioned above it helps solidify everyone knows good coverage gets you good results up front and vice versa. Ramsey as a 20 million dollar safety/linebacker/CB is not working and a waste of his talents.

McVey needs to speak up once you settle that aspect you can see if you need another corner via trade etc.

Only way this would have been okay and I'm not ok with this Ramsey role at all but would of been better is if you were able to get Gilmore then it's a luxury but realistically I still wouldn't want that. I'd want Gilmore outside as well as Ramsey and DWill inside. We didn't or couldn't do it so moot point but please stop with this Ramsey experiment.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Although I've heard this message being repeated here a few times by a couple of posters, not sure I'm willing to buy into it just yet. The first 4 games brought a lot of deserved criticism for David Long and how Morris was utilizing him, and this scrutiny may have finally caught up to Morris, so I'm not quite ready to allow that he is 100% responsible for making the change, although however it was accomplished, I'm happy it was done, ... but I'm not really qualifying it as 'quick and decisive'.
I don't know if Morris' continuation for playing his DB's in zone and so far off opposing receivers is being obstinate, or whether Burgess' inability to get on the field remains a health issue or is something else, or why JuJu & Scott get little playing time as Rapp appears so often as misused, ... it would be great to have a better understanding.
With the Giants, Lions & Texans coming up, hopefully we'll get an opportunity to see something a bit different.
jmo.
Yeah... I think giving a new starter a few games to see what he has is normal.
I'm also happy to say it's likely that Rochelle benefitted from a few games of limited exposure and learning.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Loved listening to the Jourdan Rodrigue rant on Ramsey and how he's being used.
People who think you stick a guy like him on the other team's number one and that's it may also be people who think you "have to establish the run" to win in the NFL.
You make it easier for an offense if you stay static in your fronts and coverages, that's why "multiple" has been the biggest NFL buzzword for the past few years.
It's not about Ramsey and how he is or isn't' being used.. it's about pretty much everything else around him.
The safeties got to do better and the other corners have to do better.
Morris probably has to do better, but I'm not sure how much of that is in coming up with a scheme as it is communicating what he wants and needs from his guys.
Let's hope Williams ain't down long.

I love Jourdan but I for the first time ever disagree whole heartedly with her. Say that to Staley. Seems he used Ramsey perfectly. We lost JJ who I loved and Hill not Ronnie Lott and Daryl Green!!! Morris just watch the tapes from last year damn it!!!!!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
jmo.
I agree. I think the only thing that caused a change was a loss. Waiting until have 5 to make a change that seemed obvious prior to game 3 isn't what I'd call "quick and decisive" either. There's something to be said for staying the course if we're winning, but I'm always in favor of looking at how we improve. Other teams are always looking to improve against us, so if you aren't trying to move forward you're headed backward.
Couldn't agree more. Morris seems like he is trying to reinvent the wheel. He wants to put his stamp on this defense especially with this new Ramsey role.
He definitely has put a stamp on it as terrible but your absolutely right it's not the players it's the scheme. It's not the same they can keep saying that but it isn't.

Just go back to putting your all Pro corners on the other teams best two receivers and worry about Long and Rochelle on 3rd wideout. Now with a team like Tampa we still would have issues the thing is regardless of schemes if the qb looks at Metcalf then Lockett and they covered your making the qb take more time (football 101) allowing us to get home for a sack pressure fumble or a mistake.
To me the whole key besides some missed tackling is this Ramsey crap. You want to look like a genius do it against teams that don't have excellent wide receivers 3+ or super mobile qbs like Murray or Wilson etc. then let Ramsey float if that's your brilliant plan against those weaker teams.

I know most of us in here know football and I'm not saying putting Ramsey back where he belongs fixes everything. You may still need a corner because the young guys aren't ready or are horrible.

That said I think for reasons mentioned above it helps solidify everyone knows good coverage gets you good results up front and vice versa. Ramsey as a 20 million dollar safety/linebacker/CB is not working and a waste of his talents.

McVey needs to speak up once you settle that aspect you can see if you need another corner via trade etc.

Only way this would have been okay and I'm not ok with this Ramsey role at all but would of been better is if you were able to get Gilmore then it's a luxury but realistically I still wouldn't want that. I'd want Gilmore outside as well as Ramsey and DWill inside. We didn't or couldn't do it so moot point but please stop with this Ramsey experiment.
This makes me wonder how much attention you paid last year because Staley invented the Star position and was using Ramsey there last year. It was talked about last year. It was taken about on preseason how we were continuing to use it as a carry over from last year. I forget the exact number, but it was something like 20% of the time Ramsey was in Star last year. The major difference is that this year he's there over 50% of the time. There was an article on this about a week ago.