Schottey out as OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
True. And here's where I'm torn and should be institutionalized due to my evil core.

I almost hope that the new OC doesn't have a QB, loses his WR1, and his offensive line falls apart.

Really man? You would wish those things on this team? Maybe don't worry about self validation so much.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Nice! We really needed something fresh for our offense. No more running Tavon Austin up the middle as a running back.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Wow! Something doesn't smell right - this doesn't even seem like a lateral move, it seems like a step back.
I'm thinking he got the feeling that he either wasn't doing a very good job with the Rams, or behind closed doors he was told "please look at other options" by Fisher. So he could save face and not be let go. Who knows, but you're right. From OC in the NFL to OC in college. Not a great career move.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Really man? You would wish those things on this team? Maybe don't worry about self validation so much.
Shhhh. It's all gon b k.

It was mostly tongue-in-cheek.

Marq

Marq My Wordz
Name
King
He no longer works here.
That's all that needs to be said.
Naw he let him find the door instead of showing him. If for some reason he needs him inthe future it's all good. It's a win win in the long run if that's how it went down.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
The problem I have had with Shottenheimer since 2012 was not the W-L record. It was the play calling and the play designs. When the defenses adjusted Shottenheimer never adjusted. When they started rushing more guys Shott had no answer. Not once in the first two years did I ever see a screen when this was happening, as one example. The other was play design. Many times announcers would comment on creative offensive plays by other teams but never the Rams. Shott did mix it up a bit this year with good results but never consistently. It always looked to me that the talent of the players was greater then the talent of the coach and that the offense has much more potential then what they were producing. I wish him well at Georgia.

wrstdude

Rookie
I don't think anyone is *terrified* about a new system in as much as we KNOW how those things don't typically take hold in one season. There are outliers where teams have picked it up and done well, but how often does it sustain? Take Martz off of the Rams and their HOF talent, and what do you get? You get his stint with the Lions and 49ers. He didn't suddenly become a bad teacher, did he? Not at all. The talent he had to work with dropped off considerably though. Teachers can only teach. From there it gets handed off to the players for execution.

I generally agree w/ the blue, but I do think coaches are responsible for adapting to their players. If he and Snead weren't on the same page, then it's a good thing he's no longer w/ the club.

To the red, sustaining is tough to account for, but the Eagles are on year 2 of success and the Giants and Dolphins had solid first years (#10 & #14 in yds/game respectively); much better than anything the Ram's have accomplished under Schottenheimer.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I generally agree w/ the blue, but I do think coaches are responsible for adapting to their players. If he and Snead weren't on the same page, then it's a good thing he's no longer w/ the club.

To the red, sustaining is tough to account for, but the Eagles are on year 2 of success and the Giants and Dolphins had solid first years (#10 & #14 in yds/game respectively); much better than anything the Ram's have accomplished under Schottenheimer.
True. But let's put it in context too. The Eagles went to the playoffs (and a Super Bowl) 9 times out of the past 14 years prior to Kelly arriving (Reid's years).

The Dolphins are yet to have a winning season under Mike Sherman (who had huge success in GB) and Lazor.
The Giants won 6 games with their new OC.
The Rams had 5 winning seasons in the past 20 years (their entire time in STL) prior to Schotty arriving.

As it relates to the Rams, I think the problem runs a bit deeper than one individual assistant coach.

wrstdude

Rookie
No, you're not wrong. They'll have anywhere between 2 or 3 years of experience by then, and that will help a little. My primary concern is with the idea that they'll have to learn a new offense and execute it together, when learning the first one was difficult on its own. You've heard the phrase, "As soon as I stopped thinking and started playing, everything was easier." A new offense (especially one that deviates greatly from the one they know) will come with quite a bit of thinking to start out.

I agree 100% w/ this when you're talking about a system like Schottenheimer's. College programs today deal w/ a ton of turnover much like the NFL. In the old days, if you couldn't learn it, you didn't play regardless of talent. I think that college coaches have adapted to the times much better than the NFL coaches in that rather than getting rid of amazing athletes, they're adapting to the players rather than making the players adapt to their system. Or, in most cases, the system is such that it's so easy to pick up, one can come in from a JuCo and be successful.

I say all that just to say, that I believe there are coordinators out there who can make this a seamless transition where players will be able to "play" fairly quickly w/out much time having to "think" as you so eloquently put it.

wrstdude

Rookie
True. But let's put it in context too. The Eagles went to the playoffs (and a Super Bowl) 9 times out of the past 14 years prior to Kelly arriving (Reid's years).

The Dolphins are yet to have a winning season under Mike Sherman (who had huge success in GB) and Lazor.
The Giants won 6 games with their new OC.
The Rams had 5 winning seasons in the past 20 years (their entire time in STL) prior to Schotty arriving.

As it relates to the Rams, I think the problem runs a bit deeper than one individual assistant coach.

On that I agree completely. As you've already noted numerous times, the injuries alone account for much of the failures.

I'm just tired of these old school offenses that are cumbersome on not only the brain, but the mouth as well w/ all the ridiculous verbiage.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Not quite sure what to think. There is going to be change hopefully it will be toward a more productive offensive unit. Hopefully it will not be a huge transition where it takes 3 or 4 years to come to fruition. Hopefully the young guys will be able to pick up whatever the system is and execute it in 2015. Hopefully he won't have to deal with the personnel issues the offense has been up against the last 2 seasons.

Hopefully we don't have to wait for weeks or months to find out who the new guy is.

wrstdude

Rookie
Sure it does. How can something be complicated and vanilla? I have no idea if it was TOO complicated, but I do know that college receivers who come up to this level of competition with absolutely zero experience with a playbook are going to come with some growing pains. Maybe he could have just scaled it down and ran a dozen plays instead, but then he would have been SUPER-unimaginative. Because as it stands, he wasn't creative enough even with the huge complicated playbook.

Look no further than the majority of the offense under Schottenheimer.

Package plays are ways to dumb down the offense and put stress on a defense. They're run/pass in the same play. WRs can have the same job on an entire series and the plays be different, but the same play every time. It's great.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Could this be good news for the Rams and Mizzou?

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Another thing to consider is.... Maybe Schottenheimer might have felt he was stuck in the OC position w/o any chance of career movement because of the drab style of the Rams offense we run (3 yards and a spray of rubber.....), by moving back (to a high profile SEC OC) he could actually get traction on getting his own program....NFL or College......
Understood. But with Rams running offense and Schotty, it was ( 1 yard and a spray of rubber )

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Hopefully the new OC can get Tavon to find the ball on this chart.
Route_medium.png

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah, it's not even about money if you take what Les Snead had to say about it. It's apparently "the best move for him and his family."
Which begs the question, what was so disadvantageous about staying here? Hmmmm?

"The best move for him and his family" could be as simple as, he saw the writing on the wall.

Or it could mean that he is tired of struggling with this Rams offense and possibly without a starting caliber QB so he is getting out, while the getting is good.

Or he could figure if he goes to a college then he can implement that spread attack that the Rams tried in early 2013.

Or maybe he felt Fisher was reigning him in too much and needed to have more control.

So many ways that could be interpreted.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Didn't Schott have a 400+ play playbook?
Didn't it take Kellen Clemens 10 years to fully grasp his offense?
Did we see any good half time adjustments since Schott was with the Rams?
Did we see any imagination beyond the scripted plays in the beginning of the game?
Didn't we often see a total divergence from plays that were working in the early going of the games?
Didn't we witness success with Tavon as a WO only to see it totally removed from the offense?

I get the defenses case that maybe it was personnel not executing and maybe it was just that the Rams drafted some dumb players, or maybe Fisher was controlling more of the offense than people realize. However there have been other OCs come into offense and make improvements in one season. There are other offenses that are more simplified and easier to learn and there are also offensive minds that seem to have success everywhere they go.

My guess is that Kyle Shanahan is the next OC for the Rams. I welcome a change. Sometimes it takes a move like this to make players feel like they needed to do more, and then they actually start to do more.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
:fighting:
Maybe Shotty learned at the exit meetings that the team has decided to go forward with Bradford and little else...and he didn't like it and left.