Schottey out as OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Fish said that there are going to be Scheme Changes next year in his end of the year presser. I believe that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Fish said that there are going to be Scheme Changes next year in his end of the year presser. I believe that.
Yeah, that was weird when he said it because of his choice of words.
"... a change to our overall scheme." He didn't say just offense for some reason.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yeah, that was weird when he said it because of his choice of words.
"... a change to our overall scheme." He didn't say just offense for some reason.

It's had me thinking too.

Alan

Legend
-X- thinking it's minor:
that will help a little.
Just a little? However much it will help us we have no choice now but to hope it will be more than just a little. At least we'll not be in the same position we were in when McDaniels came. Lack of a full offseason in which to train his troops was a killer.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
And then there's the other 500 lb gorilla in the room.
If Bradford is the starting QB next year, this will make his 4th OC in 6 years.
How ya like them Apples, Alex Sam Bradford?
Personally, I've long grown tired of the Bradford excuses...but I bet that I'm preaching to the choir.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Just a little? However much it will help us we have no choice now but to hope it will be more than just a little. At least we'll not be in the same position we were in when McDaniels came. Lack of a full offseason in which to train his troops was a killer.
True. And here's where I'm torn and should be institutionalized due to my evil core.

I almost hope that the new OC doesn't have a QB, loses his WR1, and his offensive line falls apart.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Personally, I've long grown tired of the Bradford excuses...but I bet that I'm preaching to the choir.
You are. To be clear, that wasn't an excuse for Bradford. Just an observation.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
No, you're not wrong. They'll have anywhere between 2 or 3 years of experience by then, and that will help a little. My primary concern is with the idea that they'll have to learn a new offense and execute it together, when learning the first one was difficult on its own. You've heard the phrase, "As soon as I stopped thinking and started playing, everything was easier." A new offense (especially one that deviates greatly from the one they know) will come with quite a bit of thinking to start out.

I know for various reasons you didn't want to get rid of Schotty. But it can't be ignored that several players on the Jets had said his offense was one of the hardest that they ever had to learn (terminology wise).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I know for various reasons you didn't want to get rid of Schotty. But it can't be ignored that several players on the Jets had said his offense was one of the hardest that they ever had to learn (terminology wise).
Too much innovation, eh? Well, that won't make people happy if we have to dumb it down.

MrMotes

Starter
Well then let me ask you this. In all honesty, do you think personnel has more than a little bearing on how well/what an OC can do on offense?

Absolutely personnel matters. But so does coaching.

Look what Martz did with Green, Warner, Bulger and Kitna. None of these guys were established, accomplished, or expected to do much.

I've asked you this before, where are Schotty's success stories? Sure we can find Martz failures or Cam Cameron failures or Norv Turner failures or Rob Chudzinski failures, but where are BS's successes? He has nothing comparable to any of these guys.

You can't put it all on the players. He's been at it for 9 years now. He's culpable in his own failure...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Too much innovation, eh? Well, that won't make people happy if we have to dumb it down.

Innovation? Where's that? I'm talking about something as simple as calling the plays. If you make a play call 7 words long, instead of 3 or 4, it's much harder to remember.

Alan

Legend
-X- with his secret desire:
I almost hope that the new OC doesn't have a QB, loses his WR1, and his offensive line falls apart.
Vindication can be a wonderful elixir. :LOL:

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

complicated does not = innovation. Both for scheme and terminology. I worry that his system was actually holding back our young players....now I worry that it makes them difficult to change systems....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Absolutely personnel matters. But so does coaching.

Look what Martz did with Green, Warner, Bulger and Kitna. None of these guys were established, accomplished, or expected to do much.

I've asked you this before, where are Schotty's success stories? Sure we can find Martz failures or Cam Cameron failures or Norv Turner failures or Rob Chudzinski failures, but where are BS's successes? He has nothing comparable to any of these guys.

You can't put it all on the players. He's been at it for 9 years now. He's culpable in his own failure...
When I tried to answer his success stories, by naming players on the Jets who improved under him and then fell off the face of the earth when he left the Jets, that wasn't good enough. How can you have success stories with players who weren't successes before, and didn't become successes after? But how about the improvement Bradford made under him as opposed to how he played under Shurmur and McDaniels? How about how well Austin Davis played in a few games for someone that couldn't even stick to a practice squad? The development of Brian Quick? All of our RBs having success running the ball? Jared Cook and Kenny Britt having their best seasons under him? Chris Givens breaking a rookie record?

Did the Jets offense take off once he was gone?
Have the Rams done better under Schottenheimer than they did under Shurmur, McDaniels, Saunders and Olsen?
Have they had any continuity on offense since he came aboard?

Doesn't matter. If our offense has the same problems with injuries and the QB-carousel we've had lately, I'll defend the next guy too. If the next guy has the benefit of a healthy QB for 16 games and NOT receivers like Gibson and Givens, then I'll just say, "See?"

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My thoughts:
  • I am nervous about his replacement
  • Not thrilled with the thought of the team learning a new offense
  • I worry about a slow start in 2015
  • I worry about our ability to recruit being Fisher's 4th season and a lot of pressure to deliver
  • Another new O for Sam, or are we considering a change at QB
  • I think Schotty got more blame at times than deserved, from myself included
  • I found this offense puzzling. Hot and cold. Poor 2nd half adjustments. Predictive tendencies which frustrated me.
  • This offense had many years, pre Rams, of below average result. The potential for a more explosive offense makes me somewhat excited about this change
  • This seemed like a hard offense to learn
  • I wish Brian well. He was a good coach in the media and represented us well

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
complicated does not = innovation. Both for scheme and terminology. I worry that his system was actually holding back our young players....now I worry that it makes them difficult to change systems....
Sure it does. How can something be complicated and vanilla? I have no idea if it was TOO complicated, but I do know that college receivers who come up to this level of competition with absolutely zero experience with a playbook are going to come with some growing pains. Maybe he could have just scaled it down and ran a dozen plays instead, but then he would have been SUPER-unimaginative. Because as it stands, he wasn't creative enough even with the huge complicated playbook.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I don't think anyone is *terrified* about a new system in as much as we KNOW how those things don't typically take hold in one season. There are outliers where teams have picked it up and done well, but how often does it sustain? Take Martz off of the Rams and their HOF talent, and what do you get? You get his stint with the Lions and 49ers. He didn't suddenly become a bad teacher, did he? Not at all. The talent he had to work with dropped off considerably though. Teachers can only teach. From there it gets handed off to the players for execution.
Good points all. As for any single season turn around, I'm not sure that matters (so much) any longer (dare I mention LA?). Anyway, as frustrating as it's been, I suspect Mr. kroenke is more patient and a longer term strategist than many. At this point, it's sad to say, being competitive may just be "good enough"... at least until "all" the pieces are in place. :heh: