Sammy Watkins to the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

UtahRam

Rookie
When Trumaine Johnson leaves at the end of the season we're screwed...LOL It's tough to find a decent cornerback.

TexasRam

Legend
I like the trade. You have to find a way to get better WR talent in here' or it's going to be the same crappy pass game.

Watkins is young - 24. He is a proven NFL talent with 1000 yards and 9 TD's in 13 games in 2015 which over a full season looks more like 12 TD's and 1300 yards. In a Bills offense.

Wr's start ascending after a few years. We may have a perennial pro bowler if he can stay healthy.

I am a huge Gaines fan, but depth is there to make this trade with Gaines slated as a #4 and Ty Hill and Johnson providing coverage depth.

As someone stated Tavon may be pushed out the door with that big contract since we need to make room for Donald.

A 2nd rounder is steep, but you have to give up capital to get a bona fide young WR in here of Watkins caliber.

And let's face it, we've always wanted Watkins before Buffalo snagged him!!!

UtahRam

Rookie
Can't wait to see how the season plays out. Either Snead gets a bomb bonus and extension or he's kicked to the curb like a deflated soccer ball.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
When Trumaine Johnson leaves at the end of the season we're screwed...LOL It's tough to find a decent cornerback.

What does that have to do with this thread. EJ is a FA after the year as well, so the Rams will be looking for new CBs anyway.

Anyway not worried about Tru's future when we got Sammy Watkins!!! Be happy

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Looks like a win for both sides. If healthy, Sammy gives the Rams a legit #1 wr and helps open the box even more for Gurley. While the Bills get a 2nd and a CB that has shown real talent and potential for a guy they werent going to bring back anyway

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Lots to unpack just from that video.

Cons: medium hands. He doesn't exactly have hands of stone, but he does bobble a lot of balls. He needs to work on softening up his hands.

That's about it for cons.

Pros: Legit deep speed.

Amazing body control not just when running routes, but also making a contested or sideline catch as well as recovering his own bobbles.

His functional catch radius (that'd be his catch radius in games) is amazing.

The good news is that he's coming into a system and to a couple of QBs that both have really nice touch (as we all know the issue for Goff was much more a function of WRs not running the correct route as well as an OL that was like a sieve.

Lastly, this changes the WR corps dramatically.

Even if we keep 6 WRs, we're now looking at Watkins (legit #1 now, no question), Woods (legit #2), Austin (slot), Kupp (versatile), Thomas and ? Even if it's not Thomas, then we only have two slots left.

One of the rookies or 2nd year guys isn't going to make it.

All that said, I LOVE this move. I think Buffalo traded him because they didn't want to pay a #1 receiver with their QB situation and Jordan Matthews won't break the bank and is functional.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I feel that the 2nd rounder is a bit high. I would have preferred just a second and no Gaines, or if Gaines needed to be part of the trade, then a 3rd or later instead.

That said, Watkins has legit NFL talent, and I think a change in scenery will be a big plus for him after playing under defensive minded coaches who couldn't involve him enough in the offense. I think he had some difficulties with the QBs there as well, as EJ was a worse QB than Tyrod, but could get the ball to Sammy more often. The dynamic there from what I understand was sloppy and probably quite frustrating.

A few things can be inferred from this trade.

1. The Rams are more comfortable at corner than most expect.

2. Tavon is out the door by this time next year, especially if Watkins has any sort of production. Sammy's expiring deal paired with everyone else means that Tavon's albatross of a contract won't be re-upped on as the Rams have far more valuable players to re-sign.

3. EJ Gaines didn't figure into the corner role on this team/EJ was expendable if there was a deal worth moving him. Perhaps they didn't like how he was still trying to recapture his pre-injury form, or perhaps his play style didn't mesh with Wade's high amount of man coverage concepts.

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out. Watkins has the talent and McVay has the mind. This could be interesting.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
giphy.gif

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
It's 2nd round loss and a decent CB. For a players that injury prone and on a contract year it's a big risk. I like Sammy but just hope he can stay healthy.

Uhhh Gaines got absolutely burned last year and was benched by the guys who drafted him at some points...he had one decent season and one AWFUL season...not sure how that means he's a decent CB...

He's the 2017 version of Bradley Fletcher...

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Remember how ticked people were that we couldn't get Watkins in the draft?
When they said Brian Quick's name over Cordy Glenn or Sammy Watkins you could have knocked me over with a feather.
Dude! Brian Quick was drafted 2 years before Sammy Watkins. If you wanted them to draft Watkins over Quick that would've been something to see.
You're right. I meant Alshon Jeffrey.

I'm getting my South Carolina players mixed up.