Sammy Watkins to the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Idk. Between Tru Watkins Donald and ogletree we're gonna need to pinch pennies somewhere right ?

Yes - but we would save cap $$ signing Tru long term as opposed to him playing under the tag.

If Tru wants to be paid as the top corner in the game, then let him walk and take the 3rd round pick.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I would think Reynolds or Cooper may be the only guys we may be able to get a 7th for - some other GM who liked their college tape. I want to keep Spruce - he is perfect as a 4th or 5th WR - I'm a little concerned as to special teams though.

I'd rather keep Cooper, Reynolds, and Thomas with Austin as a backup running back/wide receiver/weapon. I think that Kupp is a superior option to Spruce, Cooper has kickoff/punt return ability, Reynolds was just drafted, and I can't see us cutting him, and Thomas is our best gunner.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...the-best-of-the-bills-rams-and-eagles-trades/

So who got the best of the Bills, Rams and Eagles trades?
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 11, 2017

621511674-e1502473243720.jpg

Getty Images

The two biggest trades so far this preseason happened simultaneously today, as the Bills announced a trade with the Rams and a related trade with the Eagles. So who got the best end of the deal?

To recap, here’s what each team ends up with after the two trades:

Bills get: The Rams’ second-round draft pick, the Eagles’ third-round draft pick, cornerback E.J. Gaines and receiver Jordan Matthews.

Rams get: The Bills’ sixth-round draft pick and receiver Sammy Watkins.

Eagles get: cornerback Ronald Darby.

For the Bills, this move was about acquiring draft picks for the future: The new regime has already decided to move on from Watkins, the prize pick of the old regime. So they decided to move on from Watkins a year early and get a second-round draft pick. They also picked up a third-round draft pick for Darby.

For the Rams, this was all about Watkins: They want to give young quarterback Jared Goff another weapon, and now they’ve done so.

And for the Eagles, this was about making the defense better right away: Darby should help immediately.

Watkins is heading into the final year of his rookie contract and is cheap for the Rams, at a salary of just $690,000 this year. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent next year unless the Rams slap the franchise tag on him. Watkins has 153 catches for 2,459 and 17 touchdowns in three seasons.

Matthews is also heading into the final year of his rookie contract and is a little more expensive, with a salary of $1.1 million. Matthews has 225 catches for 2,673 and 19 touchdowns in three seasons.

Gaines is heading into the final year of his rookie contract as well, with a salary of $1.8 million. He has started 25 games for the Rams but missed the entire 2015 season.

Darby has two more years left on his rookie contract, with salaries of $800,000 this year and $1 million next year. Darby has started 29 games in two years with the Bills.

So which team did the best? Tell us what you think.

Bills 49.52% (5,958 votes)

Eagles 32.33% (3,890 votes)

Rams 18.15% (2,184 votes)

The hate on the Rams is incredibly strong amongst writers and fans. They act like were the Browns of the NFC.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Sammy walks after this year - we would likely get a compensatory pick (3rd rounder) for him, right?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...the-best-of-the-bills-rams-and-eagles-trades/

So who got the best of the Bills, Rams and Eagles trades?
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 11, 2017

621511674-e1502473243720.jpg

Getty Images

The two biggest trades so far this preseason happened simultaneously today, as the Bills announced a trade with the Rams and a related trade with the Eagles. So who got the best end of the deal?

To recap, here’s what each team ends up with after the two trades:

Bills get: The Rams’ second-round draft pick, the Eagles’ third-round draft pick, cornerback E.J. Gaines and receiver Jordan Matthews.

Rams get: The Bills’ sixth-round draft pick and receiver Sammy Watkins.

Eagles get: cornerback Ronald Darby.

For the Bills, this move was about acquiring draft picks for the future: The new regime has already decided to move on from Watkins, the prize pick of the old regime. So they decided to move on from Watkins a year early and get a second-round draft pick. They also picked up a third-round draft pick for Darby.

For the Rams, this was all about Watkins: They want to give young quarterback Jared Goff another weapon, and now they’ve done so.

And for the Eagles, this was about making the defense better right away: Darby should help immediately.

Watkins is heading into the final year of his rookie contract and is cheap for the Rams, at a salary of just $690,000 this year. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent next year unless the Rams slap the franchise tag on him. Watkins has 153 catches for 2,459 and 17 touchdowns in three seasons.

Matthews is also heading into the final year of his rookie contract and is a little more expensive, with a salary of $1.1 million. Matthews has 225 catches for 2,673 and 19 touchdowns in three seasons.

Gaines is heading into the final year of his rookie contract as well, with a salary of $1.8 million. He has started 25 games for the Rams but missed the entire 2015 season.

Darby has two more years left on his rookie contract, with salaries of $800,000 this year and $1 million next year. Darby has started 29 games in two years with the Bills.

So which team did the best? Tell us what you think.

Bills 49.52% (5,958 votes)

Eagles 32.33% (3,890 votes)

Rams 18.15% (2,184 votes)
Lol fan bias I'm guessing. Bills reemed the eagles but how anyone thinks the eagles trade was better than ours is beyond me

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes - but we would save cap $$ signing Tru long term as opposed to him playing under the tag.

If Tru wants to be paid as the top corner in the game, then let him walk and take the 3rd round pick.
That's what I think we'll do

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Nothing to say but to echo the oft-made points..

A......Great trade !!!
B.......Realty dumb-Ass trade !!!
C.......Only difference between great and dumb-ass: HEALTH !!!

Ballsy move, for sure...

FRO

Legend
The Bills came out of this real well. Watkins is better than Matthews, but not by a wide margin. Gaines is a solid CB. Then they add a second and third round pick. Quite the haul.

Not to say the Rams got screwed, because they had to make this move.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
The Bills came out of this real well. Watkins is better than Matthews, but not by a wide margin. Gaines is a solid CB. Then they add a second and third round pick. Quite the haul.

Not to say the Rams got screwed, because they had to make this move.

They still have to sign Matthews and Gaines. So meh. They're not going anywhere this year anyways. So they better do some good with the picks.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They still have to sign Matthews and Gaines. So meh. They're not going anywhere this year anyways. So they better do some good with the picks.
Gaines also is a downgrade at CB for them. But the 2nd and 3rd are nice if they draft well.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
I have been reading the Bills Forum.
As you may expect Fans are Saying "Tank Is On" At least they can get there number 1 QB

AND THEN THIS HILARIOUS: Someone hand me a baby. I need to punch it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Bills came out of this real well. .

Sorry @FRO I disagree, Gaines was injured more often then Watkins last year and Watkins is a home run threat that is only 24 and can pay high dividends. Rams came out of this real well IMHO.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Watkins becomes a priority I would guess. Woods and gurley are the only other who should expect touches. Everyone else will have to work to eat. Even the rookies

Love the options though. Teams won't be able to double team anymore.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The hate on the Rams is incredibly strong amongst writers and fans. They act like were the Browns of the NFC.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much exactly what they have been for the past too many years !!! Now I think I understand why McVay suddenly made it clear that Webster was a starting corner...He's certainly putting his signature on this team to this point...