Sammy Watkins to the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would scratch him in tomorrow's game. Give him time to settle in and learn the offense and his role, and let him get some snaps starting in next week's game. We know this dude can play, keeping him healthy is paramount.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I feel that the 2nd rounder is a bit high. I would have preferred just a second and no Gaines, or if Gaines needed to be part of the trade, then a 3rd or later instead.

Totally agree!

That said, Watkins has legit NFL talent, and I think a change in scenery will be a big plus for him after playing under defensive minded coaches who couldn't involve him enough in the offense.

Now this would have been a totally ironic statement if Jeff Fisher was still in charge. :)

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Does this signal to anyone that the Rams are leaning towards extending Tru?

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Nah! Spruce still has a shot at the number 5-6 spots!! JMO
Idk man. Watkins, Woods, Kupp, and Austin are locks unless Austin is traded or injured.

Mike Thomas, Pharoah Cooper, and Josh Reynolds are all before him on that depth chart plus Bradley Marquez has a special teams advantage.

I just don't see a spot for him. Receivers drafted in the last two drafts don't have guaranteed spots.

nighttrain

Legend
Idk man. Watkins, Woods, Kupp, and Austin are locks unless Austin is traded or injured.

Mike Thomas, Pharoah Cooper, and Josh Reynolds are all before him on that depth chart plus Bradley Marquez has a special teams advantage.
Austin #2 running back, marquez? thot he was gone
train

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

There was enough man-love to go around for both Bradford and Watkins. :palm: After having gone through the Warner-Bulger wars over at RamsTalk, I could see that type of obsession would not end well. :poop:

Mick

Pro Bowler
Wow. Huge move.

I wonder if there is any opportunity out there to get any value for our receivers who aren't going to make the team now.

I also wonder what the long term cap plan is. Was this something that just presented itself and we jumped on it and we will figure out the numbers later or what? We still have Mr. Donald to pay, after all.
Was thinking the same, although they have to know we can't keep em all, so they'll come cheaper if they wait. Spruce have any trade value? I'd like to see the guy get a shot to get on the field.....Jets?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well, even though he's the guy I wanted in that draft, hopefully he won't get butthurt if enough targets don't go his way.

But if he's a good solider, along with Tavon, Robert Woods, and Cooper Kupp, look out.

Plus the two TEs and Todd Gurley? Oye (Mc)vay.

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Very funny how Rams fans, some at least, seem upset we gave up a 2nd. Bills fans are irate they only got a 2nd not a 1st.
2nd round and a player. Plus last year of a contract. But we needed to do something. I was at the Wednesday practice and the chargers Dbs stuck to our receivers like glue. Goff thru 3 passes to woods aiming for the back shoulder because woods couldn't separate going deep. Unfortunately woods wasn't on the same page and all three hit the ground 10 yards behind him.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Was thinking the same, although they have to know we can't keep em all, so they'll come cheaper if they wait. Spruce have any trade value? I'd like to see the guy get a shot to get on the field.....Jets?

I would think Reynolds or Cooper may be the only guys we may be able to get a 7th for - some other GM who liked their college tape. I want to keep Spruce - he is perfect as a 4th or 5th WR - I'm a little concerned as to special teams though.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...the-best-of-the-bills-rams-and-eagles-trades/

So who got the best of the Bills, Rams and Eagles trades?
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 11, 2017

621511674-e1502473243720.jpg

Getty Images

The two biggest trades so far this preseason happened simultaneously today, as the Bills announced a trade with the Rams and a related trade with the Eagles. So who got the best end of the deal?

To recap, here’s what each team ends up with after the two trades:

Bills get: The Rams’ second-round draft pick, the Eagles’ third-round draft pick, cornerback E.J. Gaines and receiver Jordan Matthews.

Rams get: The Bills’ sixth-round draft pick and receiver Sammy Watkins.

Eagles get: cornerback Ronald Darby.

For the Bills, this move was about acquiring draft picks for the future: The new regime has already decided to move on from Watkins, the prize pick of the old regime. So they decided to move on from Watkins a year early and get a second-round draft pick. They also picked up a third-round draft pick for Darby.

For the Rams, this was all about Watkins: They want to give young quarterback Jared Goff another weapon, and now they’ve done so.

And for the Eagles, this was about making the defense better right away: Darby should help immediately.

Watkins is heading into the final year of his rookie contract and is cheap for the Rams, at a salary of just $690,000 this year. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent next year unless the Rams slap the franchise tag on him. Watkins has 153 catches for 2,459 and 17 touchdowns in three seasons.

Matthews is also heading into the final year of his rookie contract and is a little more expensive, with a salary of $1.1 million. Matthews has 225 catches for 2,673 and 19 touchdowns in three seasons.

Gaines is heading into the final year of his rookie contract as well, with a salary of $1.8 million. He has started 25 games for the Rams but missed the entire 2015 season.

Darby has two more years left on his rookie contract, with salaries of $800,000 this year and $1 million next year. Darby has started 29 games in two years with the Bills.

So which team did the best? Tell us what you think.

Bills 49.52% (5,958 votes)

Eagles 32.33% (3,890 votes)

Rams 18.15% (2,184 votes)

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I still say Gaines was the third cornerback. He would have been first off the bench if an injury happened.

Robey Coleman is 5 foot 8 and will never be anything except a slot back.

And the old adage you can never have too many cornerbacks is very true.

Don't get me wrong, I love the trade. :D

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, even though he's the guy I wanted in that draft, hopefully he won't get butthurt if enough targets don't go his way.

But if he's a good solider, along with Tavon, Robert Woods, and Cooper Kupp, look out.

Plus the two TEs and Todd Gurely? Oye (Mc)vay.
Watkins becomes a priority I would guess. Woods and gurley are the only other who should expect touches. Everyone else will have to work to eat. Even the rookies