Sammy Watkins to the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
The only part of the trade I hate is the 2nd rounder. If Watkins stays healthy and has a "good" year, he will get paid next year. He is young and has enormous talent. Someone will take a shot with him and pay him. There will be no "team friendly" deal.

The Rams already have the 3rd highest cap allocation to WR in the NFL.......are you really going to resign Watkins?

Watkins is either a rental, which makes no sense for a team rebuilding or someone has to go

Sammy, Robert, and Cooper Kupp has great hands, and Tavon doesn't. Robert got a decent deal; Sammy is essentially on a "prove it!" deal; Cooper is on his rookie contract, and Tavon has an inflated deal. Pretty easy to see who stands to lose, doesn't it?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't forget Watkins has to want to sign for the team after this year unless we franchise him then that's another problem, TBH Austin cap hit next year really doesn't effect much in the terms of who they plan on re-signing next year. That's why I don't get all this Austin is gone let us play out this year see how everything comes together first because in my eyes this move just made Austin a lot more valuable

Big Game

Living The Dream
Don't forget Watkins has to want to sign for the team after this year unless we franchise him then that's another problem, TBH Austin cap hit next year really doesn't effect much in the terms of who they plan on re-signing next year. That's why I don't get all this Austin is gone let us play out this year see how everything comes together first because in my eyes this move just made Austin a lot more valuable

I agree it does not mean that Austin is gone. But right now it does not look good for him. I will wait to see how McVay uses him in the offense this year to decide. But if the Rams win 8 or more games and the money is right I can see Watkins re-signing

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
An expensive underachiever who's injured?

I think I know why. :D

I definitely don't think he's and underachiever playing on the worst offensive team in the history of the NFL. With 4 punt returns called back 2 rushing touchdowns called back 2 receiving touchdowns called back and hundreds of yards lost because of those penalties, if we can give Goff another year to show what he can do I definitely think we can do the same with Austin, Watkins isn't even a lock to play the entire season

jap

Legend
1st 2 seasons he had 2,000 yards and 15 td
Can look past 2016
And he looked pretty good last night

I am not really talking against you. I was more or less putting things in perspective as far as how NFL teams work contracts with formerly injured players. I want Sammy to stay healthy, believe me! We got fly guys with uber hands now; The Golden Boy at QB, and the Gurley Express! has been overhauled and upgraded. Who the hell wants to face us now? Even the SonOfBum's defense has to give our improved offense some serious respect!

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I think it's a GREAT move! We desperately needed a true #1. Having that opens everything else up. Thinking of our track record with 2nd round picks in the last 20 years.... Well worth it. I'm a big Gaines fan, but.... we have the depth and as many have mentioned, Gaines is also injury prone.

At the end of the day the simple question is... Did our team get better? I think it's a resounding YES!!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'm not sure about this trade.
I get the logic... i.e. try and get a number 1 WR.... but...
Sammy's health is suspect...and more importantly, he's entering a contract year where he will be an unrestricted FA this coming March. How are the Rams going to work that out? They are still in the middle of the AD and Tru negotiations etc.

Not saying it cant work beyond this year, just that it seems problematic given the Rams current position.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler

Watkins absolutely was not going to sign with the Bills after this year. I imagine living in SoCal is going to be like heaven compared to Buffalo. He's in a great location with a good market. I imagine the warm weather is a plus for him too considering his soft tissue injuries in the past.

nighttrain

Legend
I think it's a GREAT move! We desperately needed a true #1. Having that opens everything else up. Thinking of our track record with 2nd round picks in the last 20 years.... Well worth it. I'm a big Gaines fan, but.... we have the depth and as many have mentioned, Gaines is also injury prone.

At the end of the day the simple question is... Did our team get better? I think it's a resounding YES!!

FRO

Legend
This was a great move by the Rams. They desperately needed a receiver. It's a risky move, but there is risk to every move. You couldn't go into the season with the current group and expect everything to be ok.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Me likey. Me likey a lot. Stay healthy Sammy!! Does anyone know what his current contract is?
$3.1 million

Buffalo also acquired WR Jordan Matthews from the Eagles
Wow....you saw Mack Hollins last night? Great SPARQ guy.
there used to be a ROD member who went into stalker mode for months about the Rams needing to draft Sammy Watkins and then imploding when they didn't. He was eventually bounced.
Tell us who? I'm sure it's a TST member I know....

It really was quite a few fans...that wanted a true #1 wr...Sammy fit the bill....guess what??

the fans WERE right...there...I feel better.
They must like what they see from Hill and Jordan im guessing
Pention...is that how you say his name? That UDFA....and C. Marqui is pretty damn good too....probably wanna move him to corner.

Right side of the O line? Please.
To me this raises more questions than it answers.
I was thinking about this...they MUST know something about Brown and Havenstein that we DON'T....and I find that hard to believe.
What is Watkins contract status?
Last year rookie deal....$3.1 million this season.

I remember a reporter asking McVay about his conversation with Gaines after his scrum Wednesday vs. the Chargers, and McVay replied that he told EJ he supports him.
Ole kiss of death....that reminds me of Fisher a lil bit.

Cons: medium hands. He doesn't exactly have hands of stone, but he does bobble a lot of balls. He needs to work on softening up his hands.
Mack....baby...you are gonna LOVE Sammy Watkins and the way he catches the ball....contested passes...tough passes...trust me on this one.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
This sure makes Grob not working out a lot better. He was one of the guys I wanted other than Grob. If only it could have been Mack.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Wow. I love Gaines as a player and as a person, but Watkins could be a legit number one receiver. The second round pick stings a little, but at least we aren't giving up a first.

I do want us to re-sign Watkins because this could be a real shitty deal otherwise. All in all, though, I love this trade.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am a little concerned for the contracts in the coming years, but am SUPER DUPER excited about this year.