Russell Wilson: Either listen to me or let me go. Seattle taking calls?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
If I'm being honest any and all of this "proposed" Wussell aka AD99's Bitch trade talk is all a joke-click bait and pure bullshit just like a lot of other things I/We don't disclose on ROD.. because in the end it's just not worth it ya know. Worst off-season magnet piece, this Seacocks drama.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

tenor.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All of Chicago is mourning the loss of Russell Wilson, not made better by the arrival of that ginger Andy Dalton....lol.

DA Bears!

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Honestly, I don't think Andy Dalton is that bad. He's better than Foles and Trubisky and had won.

People keep dogging on the Bears, but they did everything they could to get Wilson, and supposably aren't done in the Watson sweepstakes. But it's not for lack of trying.

They went out and signed one or the best available QBs on the market, so no matter what, they have someone serviceable to start.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Honestly, I don't think Andy Dalton is that bad. He's better than Foles and Trubisky and had won.

People keep dogging on the Bears, but they did everything they could to get Wilson, and supposably aren't done in the Watson sweepstakes. But it's not for lack of trying.

They went out and signed one or the best available QBs on the market, so no matter what, they have someone serviceable to start.

I agree on Dalton. He‘s among the better options.

The heckling has some merit when you consider they remain stuck in QB purgatory. Man, that’s gotta suck.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto

The heckling has some merit when you consider they remain stuck in QB purgatory. Man, that’s gotta suck.
I could still see (hopefully) them make a move for Watson. Just not the 9ers!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

You know darn well it sucks. We all lived it. Bradford was our Trubiskey, then we were cycling through Foles and Keenum, getting our hopes up by a few good games early only to see them dashed with several sucky performances. We suffered with it through the 90's for a decade, with guys like Tony "They don't know what they got" Banks. Yeah, it sucks to be in QB purgatory. At least as long as McVay is the head coach I think the Rams can be competitive enough to make the playoffs most year even with a retread QB, but I don't ever want to see it come to that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Maybe next year we get Wussell out of the division.

It looks like Russell Wilson will be staying with the Seahawks this season, but don't count on it for 2022

At this point, it is quite likely that Russell Wilson will be in Seattle for 2021. And it is also quite likely that he will not play out the duration of his contract with the Seahawks.

That is the reality.

A contentious offseason between player and team has moved the camps further apart, and done nothing to quell the superstar quarterback's reservations about where the franchise is headed and how well he will be incubated from future sacks and beatings. The Cold War between these parties remains icy, I'm told, and -- though there is ample time remaining in this offseason -- with just three picks at their disposal currently in the draft, and the impactful wave of free agency over, it's safe to assume Wilson is still harboring concerns about his weekly wellbeing this fall.

Sources said the quarterback was very hopeful the Seahawks would land powerful guard Kevin Zeitler, a fellow Wisconsin Badger and someone Wilson would love to play with again after spending a year together in college. The Ravens ended up securing his services for effectively $16 million for two years, and to this point Seattle has managed to re-sign center Ethan Pocic and dealt a fifth-round pick to the Raiders for Gabe Jackson, who otherwise was likely to be cut with Las Vegas believing he was no longer worth his $9.4 million salary.

In the meantime, the four teams Wilson would waive his no-trade clause for -- the Saints, Raiders, Cowboys and Bears -- are essentially unable to, or uninterested in, consummating a deal for the quarterback … though that could change significantly in 2022. If I were a betting man, I wouldn't wager on Wilson finishing out this contract or career in Seattle. The marriage has wavered in the past and is rocky now, and the landscape and economics of the NFL will change drastically post-pandemic (as the just-announced broadcast deals and Roger Goodell's fully-throated embrace of legalized sports gambling speaks to) and the attempts to lure this future Hall of Famer away will only intensify in about 10 months.

Don't mistake a lack of a trade this offseason for a lack of interest. It was anything but. However, this is the most unique offseason in NFL history, with more teams dealing with significant salary cap situations than ever before, though the floodgates will begin to open come 2022. By 2023 the cap growth will be stratospheric. And by then, I strongly suspect, Wilson will be gone.

Asshole Face was paying as close attention to the fissures between the QB and his longtime team as anyone in the NFL from what I gather. He was also dealing with the worst cap situation in the NFL, which required shedding several veterans, on top of transitioning away from retiring future Hall of Famer Drew Brees. The Saints' ability to get as creative as necessary was severely hamstrung. But with Wilson, 33, vowing to play until he is 45, and possessing the singular mental approach of Tom Brady in order to do so, and with him being a big fan of Payton's offense and play calling, that mutual admiration will not die anytime soon. And, I'd point out that Jameis Winston and Taysom Hill each only signed through this season. Barring New Orleans falling in love with a QB in the top of the draft and having him fall in their laps, I'd put them atop this list again for 2022.

At this point, consider the Raiders out of the mix. One of the primary reasons they were included in this quartet was because of a proven and experienced offensive line, with Las Vegas having invested in that unit to historic proportions. Well, that has been systematically torn apart this offseason, with Trent Brown, Rodney Hudson and Jackson all gone, and the Raiders spending in curious ways (doubling down on running backs?) and losing their most productive receiver from last year to New England. Um, safe to say that Wilson would not okay a deal to the Raiders and lift his no-trade for them as presently constructed. They should try again next year.

The Bears were always going to have to think outside the box to land Wilson, and well, that's hardly a specialty of theirs. Mismanaging the quarterbacks position, however, is. It showed again. Holding just the 20th overall pick, and with no quarterback the Seahawks would even think about on their roster, they either needed to acquire a pick in the top 10 (I'm old enough to remember 2016, and the Eagles moving up twice to eventually draft Carson Wentz second overall), or get a third team involved in order to land a QB that Seattle would want.

Alas, they accomplished neither, and one can't help but wonder how hard they tried either. They were already a playoff team in 2021 with the postseason field expanded, and adding an All-Pro-caliber QB would only enhance their chances in the future, so it stands to reason that their three first-round picks included in the offer could all be in the bottom third of the first round. To that they added a third-round pick (woohoo!) and the chance to acquire older players like Kyle Fuller and Akiem Hicks -- who other teams already knew were potential cap casualties -- or Khalil Mack, who is entering his age-30 season. They lacked cheap, talented players still on their rookie deals -- one potential avenue to offset the lack of a top 10 draft pick.

Easy offer to turn down, frankly. Not even close.

As for the fourth team, the Cowboys, well, they were never a very realistic option with Jerry Jones already up to his cowboy hat in negotiations with Dak Prescott after it became an inevitable that Dak would be getting $40 million a year from Dallas. Which he did a few weeks ago. He ain't going nowhere and Russ isn't going to be quarterbacking Ciara's hometown team anytime soon, either.

I'm told there is no other team that Wilson would be inclined to waive his no-trade clause to go to right now, and that, too, is unlikely to change in the coming months. Of course, as franchises evolve and coaches move around and rosters develop, things will change by 2022.

As to the odds of a kumbaya between him and the Seahawks, them getting all simpatico for the long term? Nothing is impossible, but it would take some dramatic reversals and things have not been trending in that direction for quite some time. Both sides have seen enough of what concerns them in the other to keep this thing together for the long haul. By next January, they could very well be in a place quite similar to where the Lions and Matt Stafford were a few months ago.

Next year the quarterback trade market will not be nearly as crowded (although I'd keep a close eye on that Aaron Rodgers situation in 2022). Teams won't be dealing with a downward cap. Coronavirus -- we all hope and pray -- will be well behind us. The quarterback draft class won't be this top heavy. Wilson will have just two years left on his deal -- with far fewer QBs now earning $40 million a year or more -- at a point in time where contract extension talks would normally start to make sense (Wilson will be a massive bargain with $51 million total due him in 2022 and 2023, and Seattle will be left with a more manageable dead cap of $26 million).

There will be plenty of teams eager and willing to upgrade at the most important position in all professional sports. And barring a dramatic turn of events and some significant bridge building, this team and this quarterback will be right back where they are now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Russell Wilson rumors: Warren Moon predicts divorce between Seahawks and Pro Bowl QB

It's been quite the rollercoaster this offseason for the Seattle Seahawks, fueled by a very public proclamation from Russell Wilson that he wanted to be more involved with front office decisions. His wildly unexpected break from his normal adoration of the organization sparked a maelstrom of speculation regarding if he'd still be in a Seahawks uniform this coming season -- his agent going so far as to name four teams he'd waive his no-trade clause to play for. In the end, it was the Chicago Bears as the only team willing to run the race, but the Seahawks weren't impressed with their offers, despite their most recent one being a humdinger that reportedly included three first-round picks, one third-round pick and two starters.

That wasn't the end of it, however, with the Bears still reportedly holding out hope they can pry away Wilson even after signing Andy Dalton and naming him starter for 2021, and amidst the latest headline that has defensive lineman Carlos Dunlap revealing Wilson's promise to stay put in Seattle going forward. How this ultimately ends is anyone's guess, but Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon isn't afraid to venture one.

He believes the differences are irreconcilable at this point.

"I think it's kind of headed, unfortunately, in the same direction [as Marshawn Lynch and Richard Sherman]," Moon said on the "Huddle & Flow podcast" with Jim Trotter and Steve Wyche, via NFL.com.

Both Lynch and Sherman were vocal about their displeasure with the Seahawks before ultimately being sent on their way.

"I think right now it's almost like a marriage that's started to just have squabbles," Moon added. "And they're squabbling about certain little issues -- whether it's pass protection, whether it's talent. There's all these little squabbles going on right now."

Moon also believes the no-trade clause simply adds more tension to the situation and, for that reason primarily, the two sides will remain together in 2021, but he views it as a coming swan song, of sorts.

"I think because of Russell's contract situation, there's not a whole lot the Seahawks can do as far as moving him somewhere else, even if they wanted to," he said. "So, I think he's definitely there this year unless they just want to take a hit and not become a really good football team for a year or so. But I think that the marriage is not going to end very well going down the road. I think this squabble is going to turn into more of a separation and then a divorce at some point. And that usually happens with most players anyway.

"You just don't like it to happen because of the two sides not getting along."

As it stands, the Seahawks are presumably taking measures to at least try and smooth Wilson's ruffled feathers, evidenced in the trade for and subsequent contract extension on offensive lineman Gabe Jackson, followed by awarding Wilson's favorite target -- All-Pro wide receiver Tyler Lockett -- an extension of his own. Wilson took to social media to convey his excitement upon hearing about Lockett's new deal, and that's good news for Seahawks faithful who are also tying that into what Dunlap unveiled this week. What the team does in the upcoming NFL draft will also say a lot about if they've begun accepting input from Wilson or, at the very least, if they're finally all-in on building a wall of protection in front of him to help extend his NFL career ... and time in Seattle.

Time that Moon believes is running out quickly.

TheTackle

Starter
I hope the Seahawks implode but does anyone else think it ironic that Wilson‘s contract has taken up huge amounts of cap space and yet he is unhappy with the talent around him

I might be wrong but I expect Stafford to sign a very team friendly deal that helps him win more games and hopefully one or more rings

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope the Seahawks implode but does anyone else think it ironic that Wilson‘s contract has taken up huge amounts of cap space and yet he is unhappy with the talent around him

I might be wrong but I expect Stafford to sign a very team friendly deal that helps him win more games and hopefully one or more rings

I hope that you are right. It would make it so much easier to continue to compete at a high level.

I guess we don’t know how we would feel about it unless we were NFL players. I like to think that at some point winning becomes more important and making more money less important, once a guy has already made a certain amount of money.