Road to Pick 36: My Round 1+ Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
— never liked the Jared Goff trade to Draft!! Foles & Case Keenum were Solid vale QB’s!!
Get a OC!!

Jared Goff was the right QB drafted.He is an excellent QB.
—Point his contract was BIG.
Why not make him play out his 5th year of his Rookie Year?
Say The Rams went into the draft thinking backup QB? Wolford never proofed himself.
—Jalen Hurt was the next pick after Cam Akers as a example.

What made The Rams look Great in their Goff Pick was his Rookie Contract Value(Sam Bradford) of The CAP!

The Gurley effect as well. The Rams & AD99 holdouts are examples of why I say make them holdout if needed. I’m a Fan of The Franchise Tag!!

Why The RAMS franchised J. Joyner of All Players & Tru Johnson 2x(TIMES) paying him more than ANY CB ?

—My point & why I’m UPSET at where The Rams are. They should be ABOUT WE not ME!

A player will get PAID. Lamar Jackson ?? Is he Worth IT? Stafford is making $57 Million & COST 2 First Rd draft Picks.

Is Matthew Stafford worth it ?
I’d say YES if The Rams draft & sign The Right FA!!

I guess Andrew Whitworth was THE DREAM!! Rams still have Rob Havienstien at RT & is Noteboom

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
This week, LOL, my guy is Tyler Steen, LT out of bama.
He has everything the Rams look for in an OL: lotta GP and starts, successful program, and versatility ( he can move inside and play guard).

If the Rams want a guy of this caliber, and he’s there at #36 (as he is in this premise), they have to pull the trigger. He won’t be around #69.

Steen and Jackson on the left side of the OL puts Noteboom back in his most productive and successful position—backup OT. He has played very well in spots, in spots.

Steen is prototype size and a solid player. He would eventually be our LT for the future. I have to consider the Rams are not interested in grabbing a top Center early after re-signing Shelton and restructuring Allen.
Steen at 36? I'm not seeing that myself. By most accounts, he is a 3rd-4th round talent. If we are taking a tackle that highly, I'd certainly be more excited about: Johnson, B.Jones, D.Wright, D.Jones, Mauch. I do love Steen though and he'd be a hell of a 3rd round pick if he was still there.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Steen at 36? I'm not seeing that myself. By most accounts, he is a 3rd-4th round talent. If we are taking a tackle that highly, I'd certainly be more excited about: Johnson, B.Jones, D.Wright, D.Jones, Mauch. I do love Steen though and he'd be a hell of a 3rd round pick if he was still there.

I hope you are right. Steen in the 3rd would be almost to good for even the Rams to pass up. I have to admit, I’m seeing rankings and mocks listing players everywhere. One actually had the Rams taking Steen in the 2nd (Walter football).

I really don’t get the TE rankings. Guys with the production and size like schoonmaker are well below guys with either little production or smallish for the pros. This is just one example of why I have struggled to put out a mock just yet.

I just don’t want our first 3 picks to be on guys with more potential than production. Low risk needs to be the theme this year and that’s why I like a guy like steen. It’s not IF he can make the Rams OL better instantly, but at which position.

Steen, Jackson, Allen/Shelton, Anchrum/Bruss, Havs.
Throw in Noteboom and that’s not the worst 8 OL the Rams have had heading into camp.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
LT is like the forgotten need for us because it just seems like it's impossible to expect them to find one without a high pick. Plus our line picks have been shit. Let's say Bruss comes in year two and plays well. That would be amazing right. But from there he'd be the first pick they've hit on with the OL in I don't even know how many drafts.

So I am hopeful of course but, uh, maybe it's better to wait for next year and that first round pick. :laugh3:

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
The pick is Bijan Robinson, and it will involve a trade into the first round.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
LT is like the forgotten need for us because it just seems like it's impossible to expect them to find one without a high pick. Plus our line picks have been shit. Let's say Bruss comes in year two and plays well. That would be amazing right. But from there he'd be the first pick they've hit on with the OL in I don't even know how many drafts.

So I am hopeful of course but, uh, maybe it's better to wait for next year and that first round pick. :laugh3:

You mean the one we're going to need for Caleb Williams ?

WestCoastRam

Legend
As a footnote, the next two players still available on my Rams board were Will McDonald, EDGE, Iowa State, and Cody Mauch, OT, North Dakota State.

Appreciate the love for Gibbs and I don't see a world where McDonald is there at 36 but if he was and they picked Gibbs, I'd punch someone. Gibbs will be good but McDonald is good and has a chance to be a game changer.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
A few general thoughts on the Rams 2023 draft strategy…

A trade up, ESPECIALLY for a RB, seems unlikely and a poor usage of precious draft capital. It would break my heart, tbh. Same thing for trading up for a QB.

A modest trade down from 36 (or two), otoh, would be a tremendous bonus if Snead can find trade partners. The value will definitely be there.

I see the following in some order as our first three picks:

Edge
CB
IOL

Edge and CB are no brainers in terms of need/value. A stud OG/OC could really solidify our OL and allow our O to start firing on all cylinders once again. My preference would be OC depending on who falls. Unfortunately, even Shelton doesn’t seem good enough.

Any Ram draft that doesn’t add a TE from THIS class by 5th round is a gigantic missed opportunity. They might take one on Day 2, actually.

A RB will surely be drafted but it will be on Day 3, probably in 5th or 6th round. Great RB class and Snead will take full advantage.

I wouldn’t be stunned if Moody were a pick as early as 5th round.

The Turk kid from Oklahoma could be a 7th round pick as Punter.

Don’t know what Snead/McVay are planning for backup QB. Could be a mid round draft pick or could be a 3rd tier career emergency backup while they wait to draft early in 2024. I suspect the latter.

The above are just my projected highlights of this draft strategy. But we can be sure that Snead will be sprinkling in picks he likes for depth at various positions such as DL, Edge, CB, S, OL, ILB, TE when players he likes fall.

As we can see, this draft, and the udfa circus to follow will not be sufficient to plug all holes now on this roster. That must somehow be finished with 3rd tier vets they will sign up to and including final cuts.

A daunting task for one offseason, huh? But they painted themselves into this damned corner and now it’s gonna take 2 years to climb out of this hole.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
A modest trade down from 36 (or two), otoh, would be a tremendous bonus if Snead can find trade partners. The value will definitely be there.

A RB will surely be drafted but it will be on Day 3, probably in 5th or 6th round. Great RB class and Snead will take full advantage.
If there's a trade down, I would bet the RB will be taken on Day 2.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
A few general thoughts on the Rams 2023 draft strategy…

A trade up, ESPECIALLY for a RB, seems unlikely and a poor usage of precious draft capital. It would break my heart, tbh. Same thing for trading up for a QB.

Edge
CB
IOL

Edge and CB are no brainers in terms of need/value. A stud OG/OC could really solidify our OL and allow our O to start firing on all cylinders once again. My preference would be OC depending on who falls. Unfortunately, even Shelton doesn’t seem good enough.

Any Ram draft that doesn’t add a TE from THIS class by 5th round is a gigantic missed opportunity. They might take one on Day 2, actually.

I wouldn’t be stunned if Moody were a pick as early as 5th round.

The Turk kid from Oklahoma could be a 7th round pick as Punter.

Don’t know what Snead/McVay are planning for backup QB. Could be a mid round draft pick or could be a 3rd tier career emergency backup while they wait to draft early in 2024. I suspect the latter.

The above are just my projected highlights of this draft strategy. But we can be sure that Snead will be sprinkling in picks he likes for depth at various positions such as DL, Edge, CB, S, OL, ILB, TE when players he likes fall.

As we can see, this draft, and the udfa circus to follow will not be sufficient to plug all holes now on this roster. That must somehow be finished with 3rd tier vets they will sign up to and including final cuts.

A daunting task for one offseason, huh? But they painted themselves into this damned corner and now it’s gonna take 2 years to climb out of this hole.
Dang dude, you’re like my long lost twin with this post - exactly what I think (without me having to say it lol).

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I would rather not give up capitol to move up, moving down is in play. A move in either direction IMO would be best as smaller moves to secure players we believe will help, up a handful or down a handful when multiple prospects that fit are avaiable.
I certainly hope we don't make a big move up for 1 of the RBs. IMO only Robinson is worth even considering a larger move and before that he would need to drop into the mid 20's to consider it.
BPA in a position of need is my hope

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Edge
CB
IOL
Yeah it's daunting indeed 43. This will need to be Snead & McVay's best draft to turn this roster around in a quick reload.

Your suggestion for the first three is entirely reasonable and I largely agree with it. But the caveat is that all of those three must be someone who can play immediately. First game of 2023 they need to be on the field, at least ideally. So in terms of prioritization among the countless options they need to prioritize impact. Can the guy play now.

Here's an example, an Edge sitting there with upside we like but he's gonna need a year or two. OR let's say a Corner is there who would start quickly. And say there's a Center there too who plays quickly. This situation they need to pass on Edge. Now ideally there's a point where they take a guy with upside, and for me that would be the round 4+ range. With the 2nd rounder let Snead do his move-down thing, add a pick, and start plugging holes.

Also and btw if there is a top prospect from ANY position at 36, i.e. a guy with a significantly higher grade than the others, you blow up your draft plan and take that MFer. This is where RB and QB etc enter the equation.

End of the day we're going to have a hole or two going into camp. It's almost unavoidable. So let the strengths of the draft speak to you, go BPA as much as you can, and try to maximize value. The better they do that the better the chances they do enough to get this roster enough pieces to compete.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The more I think about it, I think there's a high chance the Rams stay pat at 36 (call it 80/20) and draft a strong talent at edge or CB and probably look to trade back from their 1st 3rd round pick. There's most likely going to be some very good players at those positions at 36 and it's not worth losing out on them. There's a chance that there's a mini-run on edge and CB right before then and that's the scenario where I could see them looking to trade down from our 2nd.

I think we'd all like them to recoup a 4th in this draft through a trade somehow but I suspect if we do, that will look like a possible trade back from 3rd and possible trade up from 5th with capital from this draft or next years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah as things stand right now after that pick at 77 there will be time for a trip to Cabo. It's gonna suck to watch the next 90 picks go off without taking anyone.

Malibu

Pro Bowler

Merlin 100% right our OL picks never seem to pan out. Only one is Big Rob and he was a 2nd rounder. Corbett, Sullivan and Whit came from other teams.

I have said over and over LT/OLB are equally as important #1 priorities. Draft wise 4-5 LT will be gone before we pick so the odds that the 5th or 6th best is the answer is unlikely unfortunately.

I have been pounding the table for the #1 G O'Cyrus Torrence. We move up 7-8 slots giving up or 2nd 3rd rounder. He will be what Scaffold was for us. He has a 100% rated run blocker score and an 89% pass pro. This guy never gave up a sack in college 2 pressures given up last year this guy is a total monster and starts us into the road to success especially with a pocket passing QB. He starts day one at RG he will be the closest thing to a sure thing versus the 5th or 6th LT, 5th or 6th OLB or 5th or 6th CB the 3 most important needs imo.

He is 6'5" 347 lbs that is a monster.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I would rather not give up capitol to move up, moving down is in play. A move in either direction IMO would be best as smaller moves to secure players we believe will help, up a handful or down a handful when multiple prospects that fit are avaiable.
I certainly hope we don't make a big move up for 1 of the RBs. IMO only Robinson is worth even considering a larger move and before that he would need to drop into the mid 20's to consider it.
BPA in a position of need is my hope
If we can still get the OLB we want by dropping down I am cool with that and pick up another 3rd possibly. But I want quality over quantity. I always quote 2012 where we traded down 5 spots instead of taking Wagner (he was the Rams target) but greed cost us Wagner Seattle took him 3 picks later instead for getting an extra 5th we took a total bust at RB and same with a total bust with our 5th rounder versus getting a HOFer. So my thought this year is target the exact player and if it is a trade up for that RB or C or G or OLB do it. Target the next Wagner level player. Getting a ton of picks is a waste if they don't pan out just look at the 2019 draft terrible.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Merlin 100% right our OL picks never seem to pan out. Only one is Big Rob and he was a 2nd rounder. Corbett, Sullivan and Whit came from other teams.

I have said over and over LT/OLB are equally as important #1 priorities. Draft wise 4-5 LT will be gone before we pick so the odds that the 5th or 6th best is the answer is unlikely unfortunately.

I have been pounding the table for the #1 G O'Cyrus Torrence. We move up 7-8 slots giving up or 2nd 3rd rounder. He will be what Scaffold was for us. He has a 100% rated run blocker score and an 89% pass pro. This guy never gave up a sack in college 2 pressures given up last year this guy is a total monster and starts us into the road to success especially with a pocket passing QB. He starts day one at RG he will be the closest thing to a sure thing versus the 5th or 6th LT, 5th or 6th OLB or 5th or 6th CB the 3 most important needs imo.

He is 6'5" 347 lbs that is a monster.
Praying Torrence falls to us and McSnead are wise enough to grab him if so, but yeah he's definitely worth trading up for too.