Road to Pick 36: My Round 1+ Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Honestly, that is my hope. If he isn't there, then another guy drops and we don't have a dilemma.

I legit think that if Gibbs is on the board at #36, McVay is going to be pounding the table to take him. I'm also hoping that Snead over rules and factors in the valuation of positions and holes in our roster, while also considering the talented backs that can still be had later that aren't that much below his talent.
Going to agree on The Fact Mcvay won’t let this guy pass The Rams at #36. Just as if you want to believe your first part of your statement is true.
Mcvay has more POWER in player personnel.Which means Les will stand down.Have to believe Tutu & Bruss we’re Mcvay picks which has put The Rams in a lossing way.

We can Cherry Pick The 2022 draft.I’d say I liked Tyler Allgiere
Better than Williams.The reason was because of his size & age. He was more NFL ready & probably older than Cam Akers?

Dameon Pierce #107 rb​

Braxton Jones#168 ot​

Logan Bruss #104 og
K. Williams. # 164 rb

The Rams would have had a much better season if they drafted better. (Hindsite)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two main reasons why we take a RB early:
1) Williams is not a "bell cow" type of back. He lacks the size and power to function in that role. He was drafted in the 5th round as a depth piece who can also catch when called on.
2) Cam Akers is a free agent after the '23 season and considering that he and the Rams have had some issues it's wise to be prepared for him to potentially leave for greener pastures.
Just my .02

~ArkyRamsFan~
I agree we should take a RB early, on day three of the draft.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I guess my point is The Rams still need a swing LT/RT & a bigger RB. How that is addressed will determine a lot for me.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
1) I just don't think that the Rams' brain trust is going to go with an undersized RB at 36 (despite his 40 time and what @Loyal and now @AvengerRam have to say....)

2) Although this may be a deeper draft than most it's highly unlikely if not impossible for their to be 32 first round grades.
Most years it's less than half that....

~ArkyRamsFan~
What did you say? -Tutu Atwell

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
1) I just don't think that the Rams' brain trust is going to go with an undersized RB at 36 (despite his 40 time and what @Loyal and now @AvengerRam have to say....)

2) Although this may be a deeper draft than most it's highly unlikely if not impossible for their to be 32 first round grades.
Most years it's less than half that....

~ArkyRamsFan~
I'm going to disagree somewhat here. If the plan is to truly go all in more so in 24, the smart play is to grab as many players with elite traits. Gibbs has those in terms of speed, accleration, elusiveness, and receiving skills. He may or may not be the pick (which is totally fine by me), but if he is, I totally get the thinking there. Besides, we can further supplement the roster with some bad ass FA pick-ups next year too.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Gibbs is a quality back, everybody says so.

But for THIS team in THIS draft? I’d much prefer Edge, CB, or OG/OC, probably in that order.

If Snead could find a trade partner out of 36 down to 50 or so then they could pick up a late 3rd.

Then Snead has 4 Day 2 picks and I would grab a TE With one of them, probably the last one.

Good RB’s are reportedly gonna be there in 5th and 6th round in this draft. THAT’S when I’d get my RB.

This Rams team is no longer one player away. Now we need maximum picks with maximum value at numerous positions. More positions than we have picks for even if Snead hits on 100% of them.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Gibbs is a quality back, everybody says so.

But for THIS team in THIS draft? I’d much prefer Edge, CB, or OG/OC, probably in that order.

If Snead could find a trade partner out of 36 down to 50 or so then they could pick up a late 3rd.

Then Snead has 4 Day 2 picks and I would grab a TE With one of them, probably the last one.

Good RB’s are reportedly gonna be there in 5th and 6th round in this draft. THAT’S when I’d get my RB.

This Rams team is no longer one player away. Now we need maximum picks with maximum value at numerous positions. More positions than we have picks for even if Snead hits on 100% of them.
The failure in The Past drafts & NEVER finding an EDGE since OBO is CRAZY!!

Terrell Lewis & Terrell Burgees shows when released last season shows. How Bad Les Snead drafted in those spots!!

2020 draft should have been a CORE Draft!! 2019 was a SOLID DRAFT!!

PARAM

Hall of Fame
LOL…tell me how you really feel!

I get it…some feel very strongly about not taking a RB at #36. I believe there are two worth taking at that point.

It very well may be a moot point. Both Robinson and Gibbs could go on Day 1.
They NEED to take a RB in the first 3 picks. In fact they need to go TE too. Any combo of RB, Edge and TE would be the most productive IMHO.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
They need go Edge, OL, CB and TE (some of those double too) before they should consider a RB. Heck, I’d definitely add DL as a position that needs to be addressed before RB. Just mho

oldnotdead

Legend
Rd2: Edge
Rd3: CB, ILB
Rd5: QB2, PK, RB
Rd6: P, OG/C, WR
Rd7: LS, OLB

The caveat is assuming Tanner McKee doesn't drop. If he is on the board the Rams need to grab him at 36. Then Rd3 is edge and CB with ILB at the top of the 5th.

Why McKee? Tanner played in a west coast style offense in college. That has a lot of similarities to playing in McVay's offense. The west coast style has a lot in common with McVay's offense. The west coast uses the short, mostly outside throws to open the vertical passing game by drawing the safeties up. McVay uses the running game. If you will note that the version of McVay's 2018 offense used the outside zone running of Gurley to setup the deep strikes. Same basic principal.

McVay's offense requires a pocket passer QB with a strong accurate arm. His QB must be good at reading defenses, which McKee can do. The Rams will not find a better McVay offense ready QB in a rookie. He would be worth moving up into the first round if he drops into the second half of it. This would insure they control his rights for 5 years. So if they spend 2 of them grooming him as a backup behind Stafford it's time well spent.

Edge: Keion White or Wil McDonald
CB: Deonte Banks
ILB: DeMarvion Overshown

QB2 if not McKee: Clayton Tune - Looks like a solid tier 2 QB, with an under rated arm. Projects as a solid journeyman type QB which is what you want in a QB2. He will probably go in the mid to late 3rd or the 4th round. But he could drop to the top of the 5th roud.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Not sure if I'm off track, but OL killed us last season. Don't we need OL help and with significant departures, we need help at edge, ILB, DB and other spots, not to mention Kicker, punter and long snapper. I recall the wild crap we endured the season after Greg the leg departed. The rams could still be good but it will depend on a good draft and good coaching.

muggmeister

Rookie
Like I said, I just would NOT spend one of our 1st 3 picks on any RB. I live in Mississippi only an hour from Tuscaloosa. My best friend is THE Bama diehard fan therefore I was forced to watch almost every Bama game last year. Gibbs is pretty good, NOT elite! From the 10+ Bama games I watched, Gibbs to me, projects as a 3rd down back with some good skills and speed, just like a dozen other RBs who will be drafted after him. James Cook from Buffalo (and Georgia) is a good comparison and he was drafted 63rd last year. However, we have so many other holes in this roster we can't afford "luxury" picks like Gibbs. I know some people say draft "best available" and some say draft for team "needs", but we need to fill massive holes all across the defense and those 2nd and 3rd round picks will be invaluable to address them. Sorry for when I rant like an asshole, had a lot on mind recently.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
However, we have so many other holes in this roster we can't afford "luxury" picks like Gibbs.
This may prove to be accurate. That he's a luxury pick. Because it can be argued that we could get a back later.

But I don't think he's some run of the mill RB. He can do a bit of everything and he'd be a real threat underneath in the pattern. Our screens would instantly be more dangerous with him on the field, year one, first game. McVay would move him around, put him in space, etc. The guy might even be a Kamara type who can line up in trips for you and threaten seams or break it off underneath.

Really comes down to whether he's going to be able to threaten in the pass game. I think he will but of course who knows.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
This week, LOL, my guy is Tyler Steen, LT out of bama.
He has everything the Rams look for in an OL: lotta GP and starts, successful program, and versatility ( he can move inside and play guard).

If the Rams want a guy of this caliber, and he’s there at #36 (as he is in this premise), they have to pull the trigger. He won’t be around #69.

Steen and Jackson on the left side of the OL puts Noteboom back in his most productive and successful position—backup OT. He has played very well in spots, in spots.

Steen is prototype size and a solid player. He would eventually be our LT for the future. I have to consider the Rams are not interested in grabbing a top Center early after re-signing Shelton and restructuring Allen.

oldnotdead

Legend
I guess my point is The Rams still need a swing LT/RT & a bigger RB. How that is addressed will determine a lot for me.
Alaric Jackson is probably going to be their swing OT this year and starting at RT next year. IMO they are forced to carry Havenstein one more year due to his cap number. They can sign Ngsekhe again if they need a 2nd reserve OT. I think Arcuri could be on the bubble this year. If he doesn't improve under Wendell then I don't see him on the team in 2024. Also, Thomas can play OG and RT as well. Though I hope he can start at LG this year. He should be an upgrade to Edwards. If Thomas and Bruss can play up to expectations they would have an OL better than the 2021 version. I don't see a downgrade at center if Shelton takes over next year. IMO he's got better field vision than Allen.

Personally, if these guys stay healthy this could be a good OL this year and into the future. I realize most on this board don't share in that perspective, but no team is perfect at all levels on both sides of the ball. 2021's OL was good but hardly elite. I think Snead and McVay are basically using that as their standard of measure. I think Shelton, Thomas, and Bruss are underrated. I've been high on Shelton and Allen both since they were rookies. Allen is a very good center but he simply can't play an entire season. I believe the aforementioned three IOL can be a good starting interior unit. If Noteboom can return to form they can have a LT capable of elite play at LT. We know Jackson is solid and should be a very good RT. He's stronger with better feet than Havenstein. I agree with the Rams that they need to see what they have before they simply add to the mix.

I would like them to sign a FB who is about 6', 250 lbs, who attacks the LOS like a MIKE LB. Play him as a lead blocker or short yardage. FBs are often dropped in coverage after play action and provide a convenient dump off when needed. Monte Pottebaum was a converted LB who transitioned to FB but plays the game like a LB. That's what this offense is lacking. A big FB would also be a better pass blocker in the backfield. The Rams love smaller RBs for some reason. Todd Gurley was 6'1" 225 lbs timed at 4.5. Cam Akers is 5'10" 217 lbs and is trying to become a power runner. FBs are rarely drafted so there are many to pick from as UDFAs. Another RB is simply going to sit on the bench. They need a legit FB for lead blocking and pass protection. McVay could play 21 personnel and the defense will have to align to respect the run and it would slow the rush down. It would still give Stafford 4 receivers, i.e. 2 WRs, TE & RB to threaten all 3 levels of the secondary.

Marty Schottenheimer used it to great effect, with Rivers taking deep shots on play action and Tomlinson running through big holes with a lead blocking FB. Ask the Niners, they used it to destroy soft zones like Morris plays. 21 personnel forces defenses to play zone in the secondary which Stafford usually cuts up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They do seem to not consider iOL early. Whether they feel up for taking a shot on LT we will see. Wouldn't mind the attempt but I think Jackson and Boom will get another shot this season.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
I think a lot of the Buzz regarding the Rams trading up to select QB Levis is coming from talks Snead is having with teams about what it will take to trade up. If Bijan Robinson falls below the 20 spot I think Snead and McVay pull the trigger on a trade up to select him at spot 22, 23, maybe 24.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Alaric Jackson is probably going to be their swing OT this year and starting at RT next year. IMO they are forced to carry Havenstein one more year due to his cap number. They can sign Ngsekhe again if they need a 2nd reserve OT. I think Arcuri could be on the bubble this year. If he doesn't improve under Wendell then I don't see him on the team in 2024. Also, Thomas can play OG and RT as well. Though I hope he can start at LG this year. He should be an upgrade to Edwards. If Thomas and Bruss can play up to expectations they would have an OL better than the 2021 version. I don't see a downgrade at center if Shelton takes over next year. IMO he's got better field vision than Allen.

Personally, if these guys stay healthy this could be a good OL this year and into the future. I realize most on this board don't share in that perspective, but no team is perfect at all levels on both sides of the ball. 2021's OL was good but hardly elite. I think Snead and McVay are basically using that as their standard of measure. I think Shelton, Thomas, and Bruss are underrated. I've been high on Shelton and Allen both since they were rookies. Allen is a very good center but he simply can't play an entire season. I believe the aforementioned three IOL can be a good starting interior unit. If Noteboom can return to form they can have a LT capable of elite play at LT. We know Jackson is solid and should be a very good RT. He's stronger with better feet than Havenstein. I agree with the Rams that they need to see what they have before they simply add to the mix.

I would like them to sign a FB who is about 6', 250 lbs, who attacks the LOS like a MIKE LB. Play him as a lead blocker or short yardage. FBs are often dropped in coverage after play action and provide a convenient dump off when needed. Monte Pottebaum was a converted LB who transitioned to FB but plays the game like a LB. That's what this offense is lacking. A big FB would also be a better pass blocker in the backfield. The Rams love smaller RBs for some reason. Todd Gurley was 6'1" 225 lbs timed at 4.5. Cam Akers is 5'10" 217 lbs and is trying to become a power runner. FBs are rarely drafted so there are many to pick from as UDFAs. Another RB is simply going to sit on the bench. They need a legit FB for lead blocking and pass protection. McVay could play 21 personnel and the defense will have to align to respect the run and it would slow the rush down. It would still give Stafford 4 receivers, i.e. 2 WRs, TE & RB to threaten all 3 levels of the secondary.

Marty Schottenheimer used it to great effect, with Rivers taking deep shots on play action and Tomlinson running through big holes with a lead blocking FB. Ask the Niners, they used it to destroy soft zones like Morris plays. 21 personnel forces defenses to play zone in the secondary which Stafford usually cuts up.

I think I’m going to disagree & we can see how right you are.

Zach Thomas was drafted after Bruss,but before Arcuri.Don’t know much about him.Maybe I’ll have to YT him.

A@Jackson IMO will mainly start to play on The Left Side of the O’Line.Can’t see him playing RT at all. Then again Arcuri(Thomas) are wild cards.Against the Hags he got a lot of reps at LT.
Bruss never looked good at guard & Anchrum has never proved anything to impress me.
Breakdown
Noteboom-A’Jackson,A or S,Anchrum or Bruss, Havenstien.

—Hard to tell depth & RG ? RT as well(swing).I guess that is the hope?

FB- just want a 220 RB. Don’t see Mcvay with a FB.Lafluer would be the TELL(OC) of his past.

I can see The Rams drafting a bigger TE.

Defense- a player to come off The Edge(Floyd,Hollins,Lewis)to fill in the loss of players.

CB is a must.I’d say at least 2 CB’s especially for special teams(gunners) to add.

April 21 teams have players back in facility’s. That will give just a little bit more info on Rams health going into 2023.There are a few players I’d draft if available,so like any mock draft is when the direction The Rams should go real comes to LIFE!

-I wanted the 2 bigger RBs in the draft.Such as the BYU guy.I believed in The Rams & Mcvay pounding The Table wanting to move up for Bruss is what makes me upset that he didn’t look good at anytime IMO. He was placed at starting RG before getting hurt. Bobby Evans was still in the mix which was upsetting as well. Shelton is a swing C/G because Brian Allen can’t play guard.

Truth is I’m not a Colbie Duarrant Fan.I like the kid & he makes plays all The Time.Was The Rams rookie of the year 2022.I just don’t like the way he misses to many tackles.He got hurt as well early with a Hammy.Kendrick to me will be the better CB IMO & was a steal. Players(drafted late)that a team hits on is where The Rams do well.
—I wanted Coby Bryant from Cinncy. - verdict still out ?Reason was big (strong)enough to play press Corner.Having Jalen on the other side could just come up on weak WR groups.
Then Allgeier would have been the pick instead of Durant.I guess that is why I think The Rams messed up?
—Tutu Atwell never understood w/DJ1 signing & stop gap WR/PR.
(Powell was savior).
—A’ Robinson never understood.WR shouldn’t have been a need. Adding to the pick of Atwell.
—Resigning if Floyd- Comp Pick price & finding an Edge/DE in draft.
—Here we are & IMO The Rams need to Eat there mistakes & find an Edge. CB is a need. Can NEVER pass on a Swing OT(LT).

We have different views . These are just my thoughts & part of what has gone wrong. Thought finding a backup QB — continue.

dang

Legend
Not sure if I'm off track, but OL killed us last season. Don't we need OL help and with significant departures, we need help at edge, ILB, DB and other spots, not to mention Kicker, punter and long snapper. I recall the wild crap we endured the season after Greg the leg departed. The rams could still be good but it will depend on a good draft and good coaching.
The Rams OL woes last year were not just bad luck. They are reliant on players that may not be built to sustain the rigors of a full NFL season (e.g. Allen, Note, Anchrum,etc). They need warriors like Whit/Hav who’s best ability is availability.