Reasons for WR at 19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Devontez Walker keeps coming up on my radar when playing around with mock drafts. He could still be there at 83 but I think the Rams are probably in the market of trading up with that pick as well as moving up with 99. I think you could get 4 starters with this draft. We did that last year with less picks and no 1st rounder. This draft seems to have more talent than the last few drafts to me. Am I wrong thinking that? Of course, if true, every team knows it and finding trading partners won't be easy, unless you have a poker playing GM and a mastermind HC. Hmmmm, who could possibly have that combo in the house?
I think to comment on how strong the draft is overall you'd need to stack boards every year and have a relative feel for all that. I just watch players I think the Rams may target. So I never have that perspective stacking an entire board would give you.

I watched a little bit of Walker but was quickly turned off. Not a fan of poor hands so guys who I see a lot of drops I tend to disregard.

Personally for this draft overall I think the only thing they need to do is ensure their defensive front is bolstered. Losing AD is a big hit to that front seven. As to how they'll do it... My guess is they diversify things a bit with better depth, basically. Have more of a group effort with guys in specific roles. Which means maybe we see a rangy add to play over tackles, along with a run stuffer. I figure they'll try to have personnel groups that equate more into what they're trying to accomplish for that part of the field or the down and distance they're defending.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think to comment on how strong the draft is overall you'd need to stack boards every year and have a relative feel for all that. I just watch players I think the Rams may target. So I never have that perspective stacking an entire board would give you.

I watched a little bit of Walker but was quickly turned off. Not a fan of poor hands so guys who I see a lot of drops I tend to disregard.

Personally for this draft overall I think the only thing they need to do is ensure their defensive front is bolstered. Losing AD is a big hit to that front seven. As to how they'll do it... My guess is they diversify things a bit with better depth, basically. Have more of a group effort with guys in specific roles. Which means maybe we see a rangy add to play over tackles, along with a run stuffer. I figure they'll try to have personnel groups that equate more into what they're trying to accomplish for that part of the field or the down and distance they're defending.
Yeah, I'd rather have Malik Washington with the new KO rules now. He'll find a way onto the field on O too. I just liked Walker's size and ability to stretch the field. Can hands be coached you think?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yes they are quite practical. McVay knew DJax and who he was. Probably figured he'd flame out, so he was probably intended to bridge that gap while Tutu learned the ropes. They just whiffed on Tutu.
I may be in the minority, but I believe that Tutu could be a pretty decent #3 WR. He's just not the best fit for this team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The more I watch of these top pas catchers and the more I see of Brock Bowers, I see a raw cooper Kupp. I think he could be drafted and used as a receiver. Just watch some highlights and see what I mean.

So, with Kupp’s age and injury past in consideration. Would anyone here be against the Rams trading up to draft Bowers?

I don’t know what it would take, or how his character checks out, but adding him to the offense would be crazy. I know that there are only so many balls to go around, and down the road having to sign Nacua and Bowers to big contracts in consecutive years may be hard to fit in the cap, BUT, the Rams top two receivers have injuries in their past.

Also consider that every DLineman and edge at the top of this draft are not complete in some way and the best aren’t likely to reach 19. Would it be worth it?

Also consider that if the Rams traded this years 1st (19) and next years first (32):laugh1: It would likely be a good value, because in most drafts anything after 10-16 are usually viewed as second round grades.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
On the draft pick value chart the compensation looks like it would equal this years first and second round picks.

Or like I said, this years first and next years.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Brock Bowers
short arms, so-so hand size --- not that tall ... could be a good player, kind of a slot/H-back but at 19? Would be a bit of a reach. Has great speed and hands, according to reports but just don't think he's what Rams need that high, unless you're talking 2nd round

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
The more I watch of these top pas catchers and the more I see of Brock Bowers, I see a raw cooper Kupp. I think he could be drafted and used as a receiver. Just watch some highlights and see what I mean.

So, with Kupp’s age and injury past in consideration. Would anyone here be against the Rams trading up to draft Bowers?

I don’t know what it would take, or how his character checks out, but adding him to the offense would be crazy. I know that there are only so many balls to go around, and down the road having to sign Nacua and Bowers to big contracts in consecutive years may be hard to fit in the cap, BUT, the Rams top two receivers have injuries in their past.

Also consider that every DLineman and edge at the top of this draft are not complete in some way and the best aren’t likely to reach 19. Would it be worth it?

Also consider that if the Rams traded this years 1st (19) and next years first (32):laugh1: It would likely be a good value, because in most drafts anything after 10-16 are usually viewed as second round grades.
To assure yourselves Bowers (likely), you'd have to trade to 9 with the Bears. Given most mocks also have Oduze here, which would you rather given the choice?

I'm all for grabbing Bowers, but only if he starts to fall. We cannot afford to give up our 2nd round pick this season IMO. Yes, we could give up next years 1, but we would be scrambling to fill gaping holes on D the rest of the draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
short arms, so-so hand size --- not that tall ... could be a good player, kind of a slot/H-back but at 19? Would be a bit of a reach. Has great speed and hands, according to reports but just don't think he's what Rams need that high, unless you're talking 2nd round
He’s projected as a top ten player.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
To assure yourselves Bowers (likely), you'd have to trade to 9 with the Bears. Given most mocks also have Oduze here, which would you rather given the choice?

I'm all for grabbing Bowers, but only if he starts to fall. We cannot afford to give up our 2nd round pick this season IMO. Yes, we could give up next years 1, but we would be scrambling to fill gaping holes on D the rest of the draft.
If they did trade up to get Bowers, I’d say McVay’s plan is to outscore everyone.

I’d prefer Odunze, but he’d get picked at 9 or sooner imo. Bowers would have to fall a bit, past 10, maybe to 14-16 for a trade up imo.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
He’s projected as a top ten player.
I know --- but IMO it's a reach. I wouldn't take him at 19 ... now a team who NEEDS a guy like him ... fine, but for the Rams? No, wouldn't take him that high. He's a tweener, with speed, but shorter arms and hands, small size...

pass

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All the rage is the Jets picking him at 10 right now, since they filled their immediate needs in FA.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
All the rage is the Jets picking him at 10 right now, since they filled their immediate needs in FA.
He’d be a fit for the Jets if he was a true TE. I don’t see him as one. But yea, that seems to be the consensus. He’d fit any Shanahan/McVay offense.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I know --- but IMO it's a reach. I wouldn't take him at 19 ... now a team who NEEDS a guy like him ... fine, but for the Rams? No, wouldn't take him that high. He's a tweener, with speed, but shorter arms and hands, small size...

pass
His hands and arms are slightly longer and bigger than Kupp’s. But he’s faster. If many had it to do over they’d have taken Kupp in round one.

The only thing I’d see preventing the Rams from picking him at 19 is similarly rated players being available at positions of greater need.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He’d be a fit for the Jets if he was a true TE. I don’t see him as one. But yea, that seems to be the consensus. He’d fit any Shanahan/McVay offense.
He's a fit for the Jets at TE or WR. All they have at WR is Wilson and a injured Williams

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
His hands and arms are slightly longer and bigger than Kupp’s. But he’s faster. If many had it to do over they’d have taken Kupp in round one.
Different positions, different route tree, different reads as a TE. Kupp made himself into great player, but was always a lot. You're projecting him to a position he really doesn't play.

COULD he do it? Maybe. Would it be smart to draft a tweener that high?

I cannot see it. He's not some world-beater, good, but --- you look at the slot-type TEs like Kelce ... over an inch longer arms and still a 4.61 and 257 pounds coming out.

I could be wrong, but just don't see that kind of projection.

The only thing I’d see preventing the Rams from picking him at 19 is similarly rated players being available at positions of greater need.
Agree that it is part of it ... but that is not only thing preventing it. They can get a top guy at that that also fills their needs. But drafting a TE to play F is a real question mark in my book. Juts too big a risk for 19 overall.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M

Concept yes! Player no!

I can't say I'd be compelled by moving up for Bowers. I need to look into him more but I don't like the projection of different positions.

But the concept of trading up for a Top 10 talent is compelling and something I consider worth it in general. I agree that it would be good value because at 19 there's already a strong chance we don't get a true 1st round talent.

Right now, the only players I would consider moving to the 10 range for are one of the top 3 WRs, one of the top LTs, and maybe Turner.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. He is a bigger Kupp. Lot of similarities in their games. So if he were to slide far enough McVay would probably lose his shit and we'd move up for him.

Nacua was the same by the way. McVay definitely has a type when it comes to wideouts, at least in terms of the ones he is best at using.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Different positions, different route tree, different reads as a TE. Kupp made himself into great player, but was always a lot. You're projecting him to a position he really doesn't play.

COULD he do it? Maybe. Would it be smart to draft a tweener that high?

I cannot see it. He's not some world-beater, good, but --- you look at the slot-type TEs like Kelce ... over an inch longer arms and still a 4.61 and 257 pounds coming out.

I could be wrong, but just don't see that kind of projection.

Agree that it is part of it ... but that is not only thing preventing it. They can get a top guy at that that also fills their needs. But drafting a TE to play F is a real question mark in my book. Juts too big a risk for 19 overall.
Okay, but they did try to trade up for a similar TE in round one last year(Kincaid) or so the story goes. They also took an athletic TE in round two when they took Everett. Then McVay didn’t really use him as much as I’d expect for a high second round pick.

If they did draft Bowers I’d be inclined to think it was to use him as something other than just a TE. But we won’t find out because he’s likely gone.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Concept yes! Player no!

I can't say I'd be compelled by moving up for Bowers. I need to look into him more but I don't like the projection of different positions.

But the concept of trading up for a Top 10 talent is compelling and something I consider worth it in general. I agree that it would be good value because at 19 there's already a strong chance we don't get a true 1st round talent.

Right now, the only players I would consider moving to the 10 range for are one of the top 3 WRs, one of the top LTs, and maybe Turner.
I don’t think there is a defender in this draft that Id want them to trade up for. Turner is not a good run defender. Maybe Murphy. I don’t know how they view their OLT position, but I think Aleric has played well enough for them not to press and move up to take a tackle.

Pass catcher though? Yes I could see that as a position they’d move up for. McVay loves weapons. The receiver position needs another body added that can make a big impact in the case of an injury.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay, but they did try to trade up for a similar TE in round one last year(Kincaid) or so the story goes. They also took an athletic TE in round two when they took Everett. Then McVay didn’t really use him as much as I’d expect for a high second round pick.

If they did draft Bowers I’d be inclined to think it was to use him as something other than just a TE. But we won’t find out because he’s likely gone.
Small, hybrid TE/WRs are what McVay has made most of his money with in the NFL. He had a hell of a good one in Washington. Year one in LA he drafted Everett to be that, but Everett had shitty hands and probably some other issues like being stupid. Kupp was basically the same size as those previous two, same type of skill set with a little power a little shake 'n bake, and dominant over the middle. Nacua had the same skill set, similar size again and not a burner but the same types of trait.

Bowers fits that. He's a little small for a TE but bigger than the guys McVay has had. Probably stronger and tougher on YAC too. And with Stafford throwing him the ball he'd be a YAC monster, because you gotta have the receiver and the QB for that to shine.