Reasons for WR at 19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The Rams seem to do their best work with WRs in the mid to late rounds of the draft.

Kupp. Nacua. Josh Reynolds was great for his draft slot. Same for Benny Skow and Pharaoh Cooper, even if role players. Stedman Bailey was a home run IMO. I was extremely high on him and what he showed when given targets under Fisher - I think he would've became a Pro Bowler if he had the chance to develop under McVay.

What high picks (round 1 or 2) have the Rams even spent on WRs under Snead?

Tavon Austin? Tutu Atwell? Van Jefferson? I would say all failed to live up to expectations, though I wouldn't classify any as busts, and Austin at his peak could be a game-breaker with explosiveness.

We've never taken a traditional WR1 in rd 1. Austin was highly touted, but lacked prototypical size and routes, so I'd be open to it if the brass thinks it best. I trust them. But their body of work in the mid to late rounds is proven, drafting players that might not have all the measurables, but posses specific traits the organization believes will see them excel as Rams. I'd keep mining for that at WR, and spend the 1st elsewhere.
I mean, I think you have to add Brandin Cooks and Sammy Watkins to this discussion.

Rams have actually spent considerable draft capital at WR including 1st and 2nd rounders.

And, it's a prudent cost value move. WR market is crazy and only going up so benefits you to grab a guy on a rookie contract. Jourdan argues that Kupp was a special case and an anomaly and that Rams not that interested in giving out big contracts to WRs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Those are the two that had the Rams pass on Verse and select Mims in their mock draft.
Yeah I don't always agree with them but they're always enjoyable to listen to. I like how they differ in their takes but team up well to break players down.

The deviation in their WR lists btw is funny. Similar to what we're looking at here in fact. WRs in the draft are gonna have surprises for sure on draft night.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One interesting comment in that vid was that they felt 4-15 are interchangeable. Talking WR list only.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes but I specified earlier in my post under Snead. I wasn't talking all time.
Well the word “never” sort of threw me off, and implied all time. In any event, trading a 1st for Cooks is virtually the same thing as drafting a WR, so….

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I agree that trading 1st round pick for a young player is similar to drafting someone, and so you can consider the asset allocation comparable, but I don't think it is relevant for this thread, as it is talking about actually drafting someone. Trading for NFLers removes college/amateur scouting from the equation almost entirely unless you're trading for someone truly right out of college. And the Rams pro scouting department is the best in the business. Not really apples to apples. Cookes. Woods. Watkins. Whitworth. Wagner. Clay Matthews. Mark Barron. Weddle. OBJ. Miller. Corbett. Doctson. Ramsey. Fowler. Talib. Matt Gay. The list goes on and on and on. Almost every pro level acquisition works out great here. Those that don't usually still prove adequate. Other than Allen Robinson and kickers, has there ever been a legitimate bust under this regime? It defies the reality of NFL life.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree that trading 1st round pick for a young player is similar to drafting someone, and so you can consider the asset allocation comparable, but I don't think it is relevant for this thread, as it is talking about actually drafting someone
The Rams haven’t drafted any player in the 1st round in the McVay era.
Excluding WR or any position from consideration based on 1st round draft history is disingenuous as there is no history.
Any history prior to McVay is irrelevant as well

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams haven’t drafted any player in the 1st round in the McVay era.
Excluding WR or any position from consideration based on 1st round draft history is disingenuous as there is no history.
Any history prior to McVay is irrelevant as well
I did a little search and it's funny because the first player the Rams have taken under McVay (whether 2nd or 3rd round) is pretty evenly split between OL, WR and RB. OL has the slight edge. And people say McVay never prioritized the OL or RB and doesn't draft WR early yet the history speaks to the fact he does those 3 more than anything else. Yes in a very limited sample size :)

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
If there was a chance we'd draft a WR at 19, doubt we would have brought Robinson back

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
We've never taken a traditional WR1 in rd 1...

The Rams haven't taken ANY position in the 1st round under McVay. If we're gonna go by that we'd have to eliminate every position from consideration.

If we're talking about Snead's tenure as GM, here are the 1st round picks he's taken since 2012: 2 DT, 1 WR, 1 OLB, 1 LT, 1 RB, 1 QB.

No edge players. No CBs.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams haven't taken ANY position in the 1st round under McVay. If we're gonna go by that we'd have to eliminate every position from consideration.

If we're talking about Snead's tenure as GM, here are the 1st round picks he's taken since 2012: 2 DT, 1 WR, 1 OLB, 1 LT, 1 RB, 1 QB.

No edge players. No CBs.
They trades and second round picks count. I think they gave up a first for Cooks. I don’t recall about Watkins.

dang

Legend
If there was a chance we'd draft a WR at 19, doubt we would have brought Robinson back
Robinson proved to be a good WR3 last year. His one year contract indicates he is a stopgap WR while the Rams find a true running mate for Nacua. With Kupps injuries over the last couple years and Nacuas style of play the Rams also know they need a WR that can become a primary weapon if needed. For those reasons I could see a run for a WR with one of their first two picks. My guess being with R2.52.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

Looking at this post two weeks later, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Rams pick Brian Thomas Jr. at 19. It would drive me crazy they maybe passed up on an Edge or CB but suppose their favorite Edge and CB are gone already and Thomas was high on their list? I think they'll be an Edge, CB, DT, OL, and WR probably there that are worthy of the pick, especially if 5 QBs come off the board in the first 18. The Rams will have a lot of options that feed needs at 19. So that means they are trading out of 19. :explode1:

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
They trades and second round picks count. I think they gave up a first for Cooks. I don’t recall about Watkins.
Yes. A 2nd for Watkins in 2017. A 1st for Cooks in 2018.

McVay clearly prioritizes the position very highly.