Reasons for WR at 19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
Yes. A 2nd for Watkins in 2017. A 1st for Cooks in 2018.

McVay clearly prioritizes the position very highly.
I remember when the Rams signed Watkins. It was at that moment that I knew the Rams weren’t just trying to improve from a dismal 2016 but they were committed to competing.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
His body type and speed remind me of Bobby Trees. He does have jet sweep ability.
He's 6'-1" 189 lbs.
pear walls main weakness seems to be that he doesn't get off the line well against physical dbs on the line and he's not a good blocker. He's not a disciplined route runner and plays slower than his timed speed. But he sure makes makes some sweet catches.

Maybe those things can be fixed in the weight room and training camp.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Neither of them like Brian Thomas as much as everybody else seem too.
Yeah. I don't think he's WR14 or anything crazy. Also don't think he's WR2 (Simms is an idiot). I figure someone will take him in round one and it'll be due to his size, ability to take the top off, and projecting what he'll become down the road. So my list is a bit different from theirs though I have only really made the effort to watch maybe 8 or 9 of the top wideouts.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I'm really starting to love Javon Baker in the 3rd if we are going WR in the top 100. He didn't blow anyone out of the water at the combine, but was more the adequate. His only concern is some drop issues, but he averaged 21.9 yards a catch last year and isn't a small guy (6'1). He also played his best in the biggest games. I'd rather him in the 3rd then Thomas in the 1st personally (or Mitchell and Worthy for that matter).
I like him too.
I put him in my mock after the 3rd, though.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I keep thinking they will want someone who can do it all, like Jaylen Polk or Ladd McConkey

I’ve heard some say they think at least 8 receivers in this draft would be sure first rounders in other drafts.

The Steelers have had several visits with Pearsall according to Dane Brugler

God no, not Worthy.
I like Polk to the Rams. Size, speed, and production. That’s exactly what Nacua had going for him last year coming out—probably more speed than Polk, though.

Polk caught over 70 passes for nearly 1200 yards on the same team as Odunze. He seems more NFL ready than most of the WRs rated above him.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Robinson proved to be a good WR3 last year. His one year contract indicates he is a stopgap WR while the Rams find a true running mate for Nacua. With Kupps injuries over the last couple years and Nacuas style of play the Rams also know they need a WR that can become a primary weapon if needed. For those reasons I could see a run for a WR with one of their first two picks. My guess being with R2.52.

I think the Rams will draft 2 WRs, one in the first 3 rounds, and another one on day 3. They do a good job of drafting ahead of what’s coming. They really need to beef of the WR corps in case this is Kupp’s last season—one way or the other. Nacua will need a running mate moving forward.

Another option is to wait until camp cuts release another Robinson type player.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The Rams haven’t drafted any player in the 1st round in the McVay era.
Excluding WR or any position from consideration based on 1st round draft history is disingenuous as there is no history.
Any history prior to McVay is irrelevant as well
That's a fair point re: no 1st round picks. But I still don't think it discounts the point I was making. The Rams have done very well mining the draft for WR talent in the mid to late rounds. And the WRs we have taken with early picks (Van Jefferson, Tutu Atwell) have been underwhelming, albeit the sample size is small for early round WR draftees under McVay.

I'd be more than fine taking a WR at 19th overall if the Rams brass thinks that is the way to go. I trust their roster planning. Kupp is getting older, is injury prone, and his contract is running out. Robinson is only on a 1 year deal. Passing offense reigns supreme in today's NFL. Stacking our WR room for the short-term while establishing a long-term WR cadre beyond Puka has real appeal. But my preference would be the use the pick elsewhere, and continue to mine the mid to late rounds of the draft for WR talent, given that this staff has a proven track record of doing so successfully.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a fair point re: no 1st round picks. But I still don't think it discounts the point I was making. The Rams have done very well mining the draft for WR talent in the mid to late rounds. And the WRs we have taken with early picks (Van Jefferson, Tutu Atwell) have been underwhelming, albeit the sample size is small for early round WR draftees under McVay.

I'd be more than fine taking a WR at 19th overall if the Rams brass thinks that is the way to go. I trust their roster planning. Kupp is getting older, is injury prone, and his contract is running out. Robinson is only on a 1 year deal. Passing offense reigns supreme in today's NFL. Stacking our WR room for the short-term while establishing a long-term WR cadre beyond Puka has real appeal. But my preference would be the use the pick elsewhere, and continue to mine the mid to late rounds of the draft for WR talent, given that this staff has a proven track record of doing so successfully.
I feel like the goal posts keep getting moved.
They will take (if they keep the pick) the best player who fits their need most. The success or failure of that pick will be completely independent from previous draft history.
While they have been successful in the mid rounds on some positions, it’s a bit of a fallacy to believe they’ll continue to be that fortunate. They’ve had success and failure mid rounds on many players, the highs stand out the lows are par for the course.
As long as it’s not a kicker, I’m good with whoever they take round 1

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I feel like the goal posts keep getting moved.
They will take (if they keep the pick) the best player who fits their need most. The success or failure of that pick will be completely independent from previous draft history.
While they have been successful in the mid rounds on some positions, it’s a bit of a fallacy to believe they’ll continue to be that fortunate. They’ve had success and failure mid rounds on many players, the highs stand out the lows are par for the course.
As long as it’s not a kicker, I’m good with whoever they take round 1
How have the goal posts been moved?

My point was always that, given Rams' successful track record mining the draft for WRs in the mid to late rounds, I'd prefer they do that, rather than go WR at 19. Though I'd be fine if they went WR ultimately.

I added that their high picks at WR have been under-whelming, in Tutu and Jefferson (which is true), while acknowledging that they haven't really taken a prototypical #1 WR in the 1st round before, to be fair.

You then brought up Holt (irrelevant, as I specified the Snead era, given that it's the regime that will oversee the 2024 draft) and that Rams have traded high picks for WRs before (again irrelevant, as this thread is talking about who the Rams should draft).

I feel like you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

I don't think it's a fallacy to think the Rams can continue to be successful at mining the draft for great WRs.

I think a huge part of the reason the Rams have been able to do so - and IMO can and will continue do so - is because of the excellent offensive coaching staff and ecosystem the Rams' WR selections end up in.

It's not a case of highs standing out from the lows. No WR drafted under McVay has flopped, though Tutu and Van underwhelmed for their draft slot IMO. That's unreal, and speaks to their ability to scout and develop WRs.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think the Rams will draft 2 WRs, one in the first 3 rounds, and another one on day 3. They do a good job of drafting ahead of what’s coming. They really need to beef of the WR corps in case this is Kupp’s last season—one way or the other. Nacua will need a running mate moving forward.

Another option is to wait until camp cuts release another Robinson type player.
Lot of solid concept here, imo.
If there's a guy who really fits as a three down WR in the first-three rounds and brings value, I can easily see them drafting a WR high. And I've been on board for drafting another WR, more of a return/yac guy who can develop. Brandon Powell-ish.. but hopefully with a little more speed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes and the role that would best complement those players they have found midround at wideout tends to be the role that you need to expend higher picks to find. And they have taken shots on guys with deficiencies (Jefferson, Tutu) and missed on them trying to fill that role. Fortunately this particular draft is so deep that I am guessing if they prefer to address WR in round 2 they can do so without too much fear of the position being picked over. They won't be looking at Tutu at 2, should be a much more well rounded prospect.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes and the role that would best complement those players they have found midround at wideout tends to be the role that you need to expend higher picks to find. And they have taken shots on guys with deficiencies (Jefferson, Tutu) and missed on them trying to fill that role. Fortunately this particular draft is so deep that I am guessing if they prefer to address WR in round 2 they can do so without too much fear of the position being picked over. They won't be looking at Tutu at 2, should be a much more well rounded prospect.
All I know is that the Rams can never seem to have enough offensive talent, Tutu is the best example of that. Not only did they double down on WR with his pick they also had signed Desean Jackson prior to the draft. Pretty uncharted waters if we actually pick a player at 19, nothing would shock me. I think the "fuck them picks" attitude could also lend itself to "overdrafting" a guy if there is a guy there they like and dont want to risk him not being there for them later.
Going to be interesting for sure and nothing will surprise me, namely watching the ticker when they are on pick 18 and we notice that the team at 19 is no longer the Rams

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know is that the Rams can never seem to have enough offensive talent, Tutu is the best example of that. Not only did they double down on WR with his pick they also had signed Desean Jackson prior to the draft. Pretty uncharted waters if we actually pick a player at 19, nothing would shock me. I think the "fuck them picks" attitude could also lend itself to "overdrafting" a guy if there is a guy there they like and dont want to risk him not being there for them later.
Going to be interesting for sure and nothing will surprise me, namely watching the ticker when they are on pick 18 and we notice that the team at 19 is no longer the Rams
Yes they are quite practical. McVay knew DJax and who he was. Probably figured he'd flame out, so he was probably intended to bridge that gap while Tutu learned the ropes. They just whiffed on Tutu.

So I think some of that approach has been them seeking an answer with non-optimum resources. Tutu being the best WR on the board that year in round 2 is pretty sad tbh. And on the positive side they succeeded in Kupp & Nacua, though both are cut from the same cloth which is a cloth you can get in the picks they've had to work with.

Finding the speed to unlock the vertical stretching side of things is going to be a key strategy I think in this draft. I'll be surprised if the guy they bring in doesn't add significant speed to the group. And if they don't then I think the draft will be a bit of a failure because you're not fully tapping into Stafford without that element. Lastly before someone swoops in with Kupp or Nacua catching deep passes it is a different deal to have a guy who surprises defenses with a deep ball vs a guy who a DC spends sleepless nights worrying about because he knows he can't dedicate a safety to him when you have Kupp and Nacua eating up your corners underneath.

If they can find that speed threat this offense has a chance to take a leap back into that 30ppg elite range.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yes they are quite practical. McVay knew DJax and who he was. Probably figured he'd flame out, so he was probably intended to bridge that gap while Tutu learned the ropes. They just whiffed on Tutu.

So I think some of that approach has been them seeking an answer with non-optimum resources. Tutu being the best WR on the board that year in round 2 is pretty sad tbh. And on the positive side they succeeded in Kupp & Nacua, though both are cut from the same cloth which is a cloth you can get in the picks they've had to work with.

Finding the speed to unlock the vertical stretching side of things is going to be a key strategy I think in this draft. I'll be surprised if the guy they bring in doesn't add significant speed to the group. And if they don't then I think the draft will be a bit of a failure because you're not fully tapping into Stafford without that element. Lastly before someone swoops in with Kupp or Nacua catching deep passes it is a different deal to have a guy who surprises defenses with a deep ball vs a guy who a DC spends sleepless nights worrying about because he knows he can't dedicate a safety to him when you have Kupp and Nacua eating up your corners underneath.

If they can find that speed threat this offense has a chance to take a leap back into that 30ppg elite range.
Devontez Walker keeps coming up on my radar when playing around with mock drafts. He could still be there at 83 but I think the Rams are probably in the market of trading up with that pick as well as moving up with 99. I think you could get 4 starters with this draft. We did that last year with less picks and no 1st rounder. This draft seems to have more talent than the last few drafts to me. Am I wrong thinking that? Of course, if true, every team knows it and finding trading partners won't be easy, unless you have a poker playing GM and a mastermind HC. Hmmmm, who could possibly have that combo in the house?

MachS

Hall of Fame
Devontez Walker keeps coming up on my radar when playing around with mock drafts. He could still be there at 83 but I think the Rams are probably in the market of trading up with that pick as well as moving up with 99. I think you could get 4 starters with this draft. We did that last year with less picks and no 1st rounder. This draft seems to have more talent than the last few drafts to me. Am I wrong thinking that? Of course, if true, every team knows it and finding trading partners won't be easy, unless you have a poker playing GM and a mastermind HC. Hmmmm, who could possibly have that combo in the house?
This draft is very deep and right now we have what 11 picks? Given our recent history I would expect us to try and stick with the "many picks strategy." Not saying we dont move up, I just think its far likelier we move back. Especially now with AD gone creating a huge hole.

But with that being said, this will be the highest pick McVay has ever had. He's never had a chance to draft this level of talent. Who knows who we have 1st round grades on at WR, or who we feel will be a perennial star. But IMO even with our other needs WR will be in consideration at 19. The big four WRs will be gone, so unless we have huge grades on Coleman, Mitchell, or Legette... it will hard to pass on Latu/Murphy.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Malik Nabers’ pro day showed what I already thought. He would be the first receiver taken in most drafts. If Rams trade up for a receiver, it better be for him. He’d be the most explosive receiver rams have had since Holt.

With that said, I’m in the stand pat or trade down club. Rams have a solid receiving corps. The defensive side needs help, especially with a new defensive coordinator. We got good production last year due to Rah coaching his ass off. This year we need talent.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Honestly, I'd be more than OK with a WR at 19.
After Coop and Puka, we really have nothing - love Skow and Toots, but let's be real.
I saw what OBJ brought to this offense, and I would love to get one of Odunze, Thomas or Mitchell.
I'll even volunteer to be a "Mod for a Day "to help quell the rioting.:clinkingbeer: