Reasons for WR at 19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
There have been a lot of first round Tight ends. Hockenson was a first round tight end, and he fit the Shanahan/McVay model for the Vikings.
And he was not worth it. Not a game changer. A good player.

Vernon Davis was picked sixth in round one and had a very good career.

Jeremy Shockey went at 14 and he had a good career.

Now, name the ones taken high in the past 10 years. THose guys were good, but you can find 890 receiving yards in the 3rd, 4th, 5th round. No need to go that high.

I know that McVay tries to stay ahead of defensive trends or other league changes. He has made some changes to his offense, even last year.

If he coveted Bowers and traded up a few spots to get him, then I’d trust he has a good plan to use him. Bowers is a considered a top ten pick and higher than ten on most big boards. McVay could see him as another piece to make his offense even harder to defend.
yeah, sure. Maybe. But you cannot win in the NFL without good pass rush. At some point you gotta pressure the QB.

Rams need edge and are down two DTs. And have again CBs.

TOp ten?

So was Hockenson, Pitts, Ebron. Those are a couple of these "game changing" guys rated in the top 10.

Then the 15-30 guys ----

Worth it? I dunno ...

Just not going to buy the hype on a TE. LaPorta is about as good as you can hope for. He was 2nd rounder.

No need to spend that kind of capital on that kind of player. Even if he pans out to be as good a Hockenson or Pitts or Ebron

They are not top-10 players in production.

Memphis Ram

Legend
@JimY53

We don't see Bowers the same way and that appears to be the main sticking point as I see it. I see a potential Kyle Juszczyk, Sam Laporta, and some Debo Samuel rolled into one that leans more towards a positionless football ideology on offense. But you have set position limits that I don't. And that's fine.

You also appear to have more of an immediate need based draft mindset and I do not. I take Cee Dee Lamb whom I didn't need like Dallas did when he falls into my lap while desperate for an EDGE and targeting K-Lavon-Chaisson.

Again, we don't have a clue of what the Rams draft board will look like, but IMO, the only reason a team should take the highest rated player that fills a need in the 1st round is if said player is clearly the BPA on their board or it's close. Otherwise, I believe they should target a potential difference maker in the 1st round and go BPA at a need spot in the following rounds. Difference makers are what wins football games. Not trying to do what appears to be the impossible in filling every hole.

BTW, teams can get an EDGE, DT, WR, and CB later in the draft, too. This is the deepest WR & CB draft class there has been in years.

DT? As far as the top rated guys, everything hinges on how they view Kobie Turner. If they see him better as a 3-Tech and see Murphy and Newton the same, are they really filling a need?

EDGE rusher? If Will McDonald or Will Anderson could magically appear in this draft class and be available at #19, I'd take them over every other EDGE in this class. Anyway, while each draft class is different, the success rate of EDGEs selected #19 or below in the 1st round this past decade hasn't been anything to write home about. In fact, like at QB minus a top 7-10 selection there are and have been very few elite EDGE talents and/or immediate impact players.

Last edited:

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
@JimY53

We don't see Bowers the same way and that appears to be the main sticking point as I see it. I see a potential Kyle Juszczyk, Sam Laporta, and some Debo Samuel rolled into one that leans more towards a positionless football ideology on offense. But you have set position limits that I don't. And that's fine.

You also appear to have more of an immediate need based draft mindset and I do not. I take Cee Dee Lamb whom I didn't need like Dallas did when he falls into my lap while desperate for an EDGE and targeting K-Lavon-Chaisson.

Again, we don't have a clue of what the Rams draft board will look like, but IMO, the only reason a team should take the highest rated player that fills a need in the 1st round is if said player is clearly the BPA on their board or it's close.
Have always said that, BPA among the group of needs ... don't reach, trade down if you need to

Otherwise, I believe they should target a potential difference maker in the 1st round and go BPA at a need spot in the following rounds. Difference makers are what wins football games. Not trying to do what appears to be the impossible in filling every hole.
That's the thing -- guys like Bowers --- is he a difference maker? How many TEs rated that highly are? Very few. You can get guys like Debor LaPorta, etc in later rounds. 19th overall for a guy like him may be the reach you are talking about. College production does not always translate to the NFL as per the Ebron, Hock, Pitts and those guys --- Bowers does not strike me as a better prospect then those guys or even guys taken later.

Sure, he looks good and maybe he will be ... but at 19? I don't see it for the Rams right now.

BTW, teams can get an EDGE, DT, WR, and CB later in the draft, too. This is the deepest WR & CB draft class there has been in years.
Always true, but look at success rate of 3-4 edges taken after round 2... quality drops fast.

DT? As far as the top rated guys, everything hinges on how they view Kobie Turner. If they see him better as a 3-Tech and see Murphy and Newton the same, are they really filling a need?
Agree and have been saying that. Kobie seems like a 3-tech so Rams might want to go with more of a 3-4 DE-type. Don;t know what they are thinking. Could be Turner is versatile enough that they could build around him

EDGE rusher? If Will McDonald or Will Anderson could magically appear in this draft class and be available at #19, I'd take them over every other EDGE in this class. Anyway, while each draft class is different, the success rate of EDGEs selected #19 or below in the 1st round this past decade hasn't been anything to write home about. In fact, like at QB minus a top 7-10 selection there are and have been very few elite EDGE talents and/or immediate impact players.
I know, but that's just a projection. Any of these edges could end up better than those guys or worse. Chop Robinson could be great. Or not. Anderson would be out of conversation he was a top 5 pick. So, that does not fit. Of course he would be better than this year's guys --- he'd be projected a top 5 in most drafts.

McDonald, though, is kind of similar to Chop. Not super college production, needs to learn a lot more. I don't know that anyone can say Chop is a worst prospect that McDonald IV

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
They are if they are seen to be all rolled into one guy.
Well, come on now. That's a bit much hyperbole. I don't see that when I see him play. I am not an NFL scout but I have seen a little bit of football. Difference of opinion. He could be Dalton Kincaid, too.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
FYI. Laporta had medical red flags. That's what probably made him last into round two.
Possibly -- but you are suggesting he was worth a 19th overall pick if healthy? I am not going to drink the Kool-aid on any TE being with drafted ahead of the Rams needs----edge, CB, DT and maybe WR.

Just not worth it in my mind. Nothing says this guy is something that has never been seen before. And the ones hyped this high have not been worth the top 10 pick that was spent on them. I wouldn't have given a 8th overall for Hock or Pitts or a 10 for Ebron. Wouldn't do it for this kid, either, and for the Rams? No. Get the best at edge or DT or CB and then do the same on the 2nd round.

No TE is going to make Rans offense so much better that it alleviates the need for a better defense.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Have always said that, BPA among the group of needs ... don't reach, trade down if you need to
But I said target a potential difference maker first. Also, I'd probably go with trade down, if you can as it takes two to tango.
That's the thing -- guys like Bowers --- is he a difference maker? How many TEs rated that highly are? Very few. You can get guys like Debor LaPorta, etc in later rounds. 19th overall for a guy like him may be the reach you are talking about. College production does not always translate to the NFL as per the Ebron, Hock, Pitts and those guys --- Bowers does not strike me as a better prospect then those guys or even guys taken later.

Sure, he looks good and maybe he will be ... but at 19? I don't see it for the Rams right now.
Again, you still see him as just a TE and are comparing him as such. I don't. I see him as a WEAPON capable of filling many roles.
Always true, but look at success rate of 3-4 edges taken after round 2... quality drops fast.
I agree. But that shouldn't force any team to take a lesser rated player just to try to fill a hole.
McDonald, though, is kind of similar to Chop. Not super college production, needs to learn a lot more. I don't know that anyone can say Chop is a worst prospect that McDonald IV
McDonald had double digit sacks for two seasons and played on a 3 man front his final season. He used his hands well, bent the edge with control, and has great length. Chop Robinson doesn't have his length or production coming out of college. Great first step though.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
But I said target a potential difference maker first. Also, I'd probably go with trade down, if you can as it takes two to tango.

Again, you still see him as just a TE and are comparing him as such. I don't. I see him as a WEAPON capable of filling many roles.
No, I get what you are saying. I am saying I disagree. There are guys that do that. I used the term "TE" because I don't want to type TE/HB/FB over and over again. He's a "move" TE it's nothing new. Kelce is what I call a "move" TE. Kittle, too ... all these guy.

I just don't think, no matter what you call him, that he'd be worth 19th for us. Maybe for an offensive depleted team or someone who didn't have Puka (A Z, but also can play F, and blocks well.

So, don't infer I don't understand what you are saying. I just don't agree that it means all that much, over and above, anyone else.

I agree. But that shouldn't force any team to take a lesser rated player just to try to fill a hole.
I would never suggest a team reach --- I am saying that given position value that when there are highly rated players at 19, take the one that will help the most. Edge is what Rams need. If there isn't one worth 19, take a DT, if there is not one that you think is worth it take a CB. There will be someone that the Rams need with a high first-round grade.

McDonald had double digit sacks for two seasons and played on a 3 man front his final season. He used his hands well, bent the edge with control, and has great length. Chop Robinson doesn't have his length or production coming out of college. Great first step though.
That's what I mean about McDonald, he was in a 3-man line and wasn't playing what he would in the NFL. And he was a fine talent, I looked into him. And what happened? A rotational player as a rookie. Chop could easily do that.

McDonald needed to add some strength and muscle and I expect his role to increase but there are people.

To me, I just don't think if Bowers were available 1t 19 and there was a Turner dropping ... I would take Turner easily. I don't think that will happen but this TE (TE/H-Back/FB. Slot) is so special that Rams should take him over a more glaring need if equal talents arte there.

Odds are both will be gone, but we're talking hypotheticals anyway.

Bottom line --- even talent --3-4 edge vs TE/G-back/FB/Slot? take the 3-4 edge every time. That is just positional. Then add it for Rams? Need? Take the edge every time.

But that's just me.

dang

Legend
Let’s start with listing positions of NEED. I’ll define NEED as a position where the Rams don’t have an effective player.
With that definition I offer the following as positions of NEED:
-Edge
-DE
-ILB2
-RB2 (unless Evans takes a huge step up)
-CB2 (until T White is validated as ready to go)
-K

Memphis Ram

Legend
No, I get what you are saying. I am saying I disagree. There are guys that do that. I used the term "TE" because I don't want to type TE/HB/FB over and over again. He's a "move" TE it's nothing new. Kelce is what I call a "move" TE. Kittle, too ... all these guy.

I just don't think, no matter what you call him, that he'd be worth 19th for us. Maybe for an offensive depleted team or someone who didn't have Puka (A Z, but also can play F, and blocks well.

So, don't infer I don't understand what you are saying. I just don't agree that it means all that much, over and above, anyone else.
I already pointed out that we saw the kid differently. Any inference would be because how you've labeled him and of whom you compared him. For example, maybe he's done it or no, but I've never seen Kelce line up at FB.
I would never suggest a team reach --- I am saying that given position value that when there are highly rated players at 19, take the one that will help the most. Edge is what Rams need. If there isn't one worth 19, take a DT, if there is not one that you think is worth it take a CB. There will be someone that the Rams need with a high first-round grade.
I understand your view on this, too. I just pointed out that obtaining a potential difference maker (someone teams have to gameplan for) is more valuable and the better target in the 1st round, IMO.
That's what I mean about McDonald, he was in a 3-man line and wasn't playing what he would in the NFL. And he was a fine talent, I looked into him. And what happened? A rotational player as a rookie. Chop could easily do that.

McDonald needed to add some strength and muscle and I expect his role to increase but there are people.
McDonald played on a three man line a lot, but he did get some opportunities to rush on the EDGE and excelled. Byron Young would have been a rotational player as a rookie on a deep Jets team, too.
To me, I just don't think if Bowers were available 1t 19 and there was a Turner dropping ... I would take Turner easily. I don't think that will happen but this TE (TE/H-Back/FB. Slot) is so special that Rams should take him over a more glaring need if equal talents arte there.

Odds are both will be gone, but we're talking hypotheticals anyway.

Bottom line --- even talent --3-4 edge vs TE/G-back/FB/Slot? take the 3-4 edge every time. That is just positional. Then add it for Rams? Need? Take the edge every time.

But that's just me.

Even talent. 3-4 EDGE trumps Bowers. Couldn't agree more.

But I don't believe the talent is even. I believe Bowers to be the higher rated player. BTW, I'm in what may be a minority that likes Bama's Braswell more than Turner.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I already pointed out that we saw the kid differently. Any inference would be because how you've labeled him and of whom you compared him. For example, maybe he's done it or no, but I've never seen Kelce line up at FB.

I understand your view on this, too. I just pointed out that obtaining a potential difference maker (someone teams have to gameplan for) is more valuable and the better target in the 1st round, IMO.

McDonald played on a three man line a lot, but he did get some opportunities to rush on the EDGE and excelled. Byron Young would have been a rotational player as a rookie on a deep Jets team, too.

But I don't believe the talent is even. I believe Bowers to be the higher rated player. BTW, I'm in what may be a minority that likes Bama's Braswell more than Turner.
Wow - Memphis that’s a wild call imo on Bama’s Braswell.It depends on what your looking for ?
—Bowers has been your guy,still wonder what happens if The Rams draft him in the future ? The first year it’s a little crowed at TE.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And he was not worth it. Not a game changer. A good player.

Now, name the ones taken high in the past 10 years. THose guys were good, but you can find 890 receiving yards in the 3rd, 4th, 5th round. No need to go that high.

yeah, sure. Maybe. But you cannot win in the NFL without good pass rush. At some point you gotta pressure the QB.

Rams need edge and are down two DTs. And have again CBs.

TOp ten?

So was Hockenson, Pitts, Ebron. Those are a couple of these "game changing" guys rated in the top 10.

Then the 15-30 guys ----

Worth it? I dunno ...

Just not going to buy the hype on a TE. LaPorta is about as good as you can hope for. He was 2nd rounder.

No need to spend that kind of capital on that kind of player. Even if he pans out to be as good a Hockenson or Pitts or Ebron

They are not top-10 players in production.
Bowers could be more than LaPorta or Hockenson. He’s so much more versatile.

I’m not disagreeing with you about needing a pass rush. I’m not so sure they need a first round corner. I actually am hoping that they draft JerZhan Newton or Chop. They may be able to get either with a slight trade back. I think Chop has the right personality and character traits they look for.

But, if you consider that there is no perfect edge rusher or DT in this draft, and the Rams want to go BpA, I think it’s reasonable to think that Bowers may be the guy they target in a trade up scenario. I think the top three receivers will be out of reach.

They could draft a left tackle but I think Aleric Jackson is playing well enough that a LT won’t make a big impact in the next two years over what they have….unless they think Jackson is unreliable for some reason. The new emphasis on protecting Stafford may lead them to wanting a better OLT. I’d be fine with it but it wouldn’t be my favorite move. Most of the tackles in this draft have questions one way or another. A few of the top guys project to Guard or ORT.

But, I still view receiver/pass catcher as a need. Kupp’s injuries are worrisome. So I could get behind the Rams drafting Bowers as a universal weapon that can do so many things. Playing with Kupp will only improve his skillset. But only if Snead doesn’t have to trade away too many picks.

In the end, I doubt he’d get past close enough to 19 to make it feasible.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I do also, and Braswell is looking like a second round possibility. Newton and Braswell would be a nice beginning to the Rams draft

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
He's been H-back, slot, all that other stuff. The one difference may be FB. And in McVay's 11 personnel offense, or even 12 he uses a lead blocker once in a blue moon. Not enough to classify someone differently, IMO. If Rams ran lead blocking from I formation or power I, then it might be a "thing" but really SF, Tennesee and a few others are the ones that do it.

With McVay, it's not a thing.

If it were a true difference-maker, fine. But a TE, IMO, is just not one

I didn't see McDonald in a 3-man line in NY --- he was a rotational edge player, stand-up DE when I saw him, mostly 2nd half of season and that is likely where Young would have been, agree there.

My point all along

Well, if we are getting in to personal views, that is something that cannot really be discussed ... sure, you could be right, but few agree that Braswell > Turner.

So, really, you are advancing a strong opinion that is out of the box --- which is what I sensed. I don't know personally, but Turner is as highly rated as Bowers according to most accounts... the ones I read. And that was what I was using as a basis. I don't know what Rams thing but draftkicks like Kiper, Cosell and all those guys have Turner and Bowers top 5-15-ish ...

So, I go by them and it was that basis that tells me if the talent is equal then go with the 3-4 edge both in general and for Rams specifically this year.

Really what you are saying is you like Bowers more than Turner ... that's fine. Nothing wrong with being in the minority. But all of this discussion comes down to your opinion versus everyone else
1. That Bowers is somehow more valuable that others think
2. Biowers' talent is far greater than Turner

I simply have a difference of opinion on those two points.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Bowers could be more than LaPorta or Hockenson. He’s so much more versatile.
Or could be less than them

I’m not disagreeing with you about needing a pass rush. I’m not so sure they need a first round corner. I actually am hoping that they draft JerZhan Newton or Chop. They may be able to get either with a slight trade back. I think Chop has the right personality and character traits they look for.

I don't know what Rams are thinking ... and they may not go CB in first round, but if guys they like are gone and, say, the Toldo kid isthee at 19 but no Turner, Latu, Fla State kid, or even Bowes... and maybe their top DT ... they could grab a CB

Not what I want but I don't rule it out.
But, if you consider that there is no perfect edge rusher or DT in this draft, and the Rams want to go BpA, I think it’s reasonable to think that Bowers may be the guy they target in a trade up scenario. I think the top three receivers will be out of reach.
I don't know what they will do. And if Bowers is "all that" then he won't be there anyway. And trading up for a TE? I don't know.

They could draft a left tackle but I think Aleric Jackson is playing well enough that a LT won’t make a big impact in the next two years over what they have….unless they think Jackson is unreliable for some reason. The new emphasis on protecting Stafford may lead them to wanting a better OLT. I’d be fine with it but it wouldn’t be my favorite move. Most of the tackles in this draft have questions one way or another. A few of the top guys project to Guard or ORT.
Yes, I don't rule it out, if an elite LT falls, they might consider it.

But, I still view receiver/pass catcher as a need. Kupp’s injuries are worrisome. So I could get behind the Rams drafting Bowers as a universal weapon that can do so many things. Playing with Kupp will only improve his skillset. But only if Snead doesn’t have to trade away too many picks.
Sure, Kupp is closer to the end of his career every moment ... but my point has been no matter how much you talk up Bowers, people did it with tons of other guys over the years. I am not buying this "generational talent" thing.

Guys can be good, very good without being all the stuff that is said by them. I have seen him play. I like him fine. But I am not seeing anything worth trading up for. That is my opinion.

In the end, I doubt he’d get past close enough to 19 to make it feasible.
And if he's there we will see if you are right. If he's there and Turner is there, my point all along is I'd go with Turner.

But I agree, there are teams that need a TE, need a guy like that who will grab him. -- like the Jets. To them he's a good talent and fits a big need ... their offense stinks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Or could be less than them

I don't know what Rams are thinking ... and they may not go CB in first round, but if guys they like are gone and, say, the Toldo kid isthee at 19 but no Turner, Latu, Fla State kid, or even Bowes... and maybe their top DT ... they could grab a CB

Not what I want but I don't rule it out.

I don't know what they will do. And if Bowers is "all that" then he won't be there anyway. And trading up for a TE? I don't know.

Yes, I don't rule it out, if an elite LT falls, they might consider it.

Sure, Kupp is closer to the end of his career every moment ... but my point has been no matter how much you talk up Bowers, people did it with tons of other guys over the years. I am not buying this "generational talent" thing.

Guys can be good, very good without being all the stuff that is said by them. I have seen him play. I like him fine. But I am not seeing anything worth trading up for. That is my opinion.

And if he's there we will see if you are right. If he's there and Turner is there, my point all along is I'd go with Turner.

But I agree, there are teams that need a TE, need a guy like that who will grab him. -- like the Jets. To them he's a good talent and fits a big need ... their offense stinks.
What concerns me about Turner is his lack of moves and he didn’t play the run well. He’s got the right body and athleticism but some guys don’t put it all together. It’s hard to say if he will or not. That’s up to the coaches to try to figure out. I have seen a few mock drafts where he drops past the Rams.

Verse is mostly a power rusher and seems like more of a DE type to me.

Chop Robinson is a bit undersized but so is Byron Young and the two are very close in the RAS scores. I know he didn’t get the production that a few others did. That could be circumstantial though. Manny Diaz brought the house. A lot of players made plays and sometimes, a QB running from one, runs into another. I am a PSU fan so I’m aware of his leadership and character. He and Olu Fashanu were revered players on that team.

Latu looks like he’s a pass rusher only type. Sure, I want more pass rush but I’d also like to see some containment of scrambling QBs and setting the edge. The Niners worked the Rams on the edge pretty steadily over the years.

So, while Chop may not be as good as a pass rusher as Latu, who most seem to prefer, he is well rounded enough not to create a weak spot on the defense. He plays the run well. Plus he may be available at 19 or later.

I think Newton has some developing to do but I think he has a higher ceiling than Murphy. Many disagree. I love Murphy’s speed but think Newton is more technically sound. He just needs to get stronger.

Newton may be within reach. It depends on who you read. I’ve seen him as high as 11th and 8th on some big boards. With QBs and OTs, Latu, Arnold and Mitchell off the board, Newton and Murphy could be available. However, I know nothing about their personality. So I have no way of knowing if the Rams covet either of them. That’s always the missing piece for fans trying to project draft picks that match a coaches and teams personality, obviously.

So I don’t see any of these guys as a slam dunk. I do see Bowers as that though. But like you said, his position may not warrant him being drafted too high. If some teams think he can be as good as LaPorta though, he could go close to his big board rating around pick ten. Robert Saleh may look at him as being a Deebo 2.0. (A big physical YAC receiver/hback). He knows what that type of player can do for an offense. And I’m sure Aaron Rodgers would love a weapon like that. He may be hard for him to pass up, and like you said, we won’t ever know if the Rams liked him enough to draft him in round 1.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
So I don’t see any of these guys as a slam dunk.
No one is. Agree

I do see Bowers as that though.
No one is a slam dunk. Even Bowers. Just like Ebron and the others I mentioned. He could end up just being a good player. Not some elite game-changer. I don't know. No one does.

But like you said, his position may not warrant him being drafted too high. If some teams think he can be as good as LaPorta though, he could go close to his big board rating around pick ten. Robert Saleh may look at him as being a Deebo 2.0. (A big physical YAC receiver/hback).
I understand, but Salah would be looking for him as a Laporta with an expanded role. This kid does not look like Deebo, to me.
But Jets are a strong landing spot for him.

And I’m sure Aaron Rodgers would love a weapon like that. He may be hard for him to pass up, and like you said,
Agree. Even if he's a very good TE who never reaches Kelce or Kittle's productivity (which is unlikely).

we won’t ever know if the Rams liked him enough to draft him in round 1.
Been saying it all along.