Reasons for WR at 19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hard to guess what we’ll do.

Nacua and Kupp were draft day steals, both later rounds. Harris the only true bust.

2017 - Kupp and Reynolds
2018 - None
2019 - None
2020 - Van Jefferson
2021 - Atwell, Harris, Skow
2022 - None
2023 - Nacua
I keep thinking they will want someone who can do it all, like Jaylen Polk or Ladd McConkey
FWIW, most drafts average 15-20 actually graded 1st round players. That being said, poor talent in other drafts can definitely push receivers up the board and those receivers will be available at the top of the 2nd this year.

Nate Tice and Bruglar have about 20 1st round grades this year. Which, if their scoring is right, puts us in an interesting spot at 19.
I’ve heard some say they think at least 8 receivers in this draft would be sure first rounders in other drafts.
I’ll be wrong but I’m calling it here…
For the NFLs Round 2 52nd pick, the LA Rams select Ricky Pearsall WR Florida.
The Steelers have had several visits with Pearsall according to Dane Brugler
Imagine if they draft Worthy at 19...the board would explode
God no, not Worthy.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
It would seem that the Rams biggest need in the passing game is a tall receiver that can stretch the field. However, I question, after the Van Jefferson experiment, if McVay isn’t really interested in a receiver with a limited skillset like that. Atwell ran a lot of crossers in college. In the NFL Tutu’s skillset hasn't worked and was used sparingly to stretch the field. Nacua can do it all. Kupp can do it all. I think that would make Odunze so appealing. McVay has his receiver type and Odunze is it.

I don’t think they’d take an early receiver that is just a field stretcher. That’s why McConkey seems like a good fit. He can do it all too. I know they spoke with Piersall, but I’m guessing he gets picked too early for their liking. He seems to be gaining momentum with teams.

I keep thinking they will want someone who can do it all, like Jaylen Polk or Ladd McConkey
I agree that McVay is probably looking for someone who can do it all. I also agree that their biggest need in the passing game is a tall, bigger bodied, vertical threat. I think the most important need to McVay though is a consistent speedy vertical threat that requires safety help over the top.

I love both Polk and McConkey but I question if they meet the need of someone who can consistently threaten that third level and stress the defense. They are more of the Nacua and Kupp type. As good as Nacua and Kupp are, they can win deep but aren't consistent deep threats that require safety attention.

McVay has been searching for the consistent X deep threat since he got here.

In 2017, he traded a 2nd for Watkins.
In 2018, he traded a 1st for Cooks.
In 2020, he used a 2nd round pick on Van Jefferson.
In 2021, he realized Van wasn't it and used another 2nd on Tutu.

In 2024, I think he wants both - someone who can do it all AND finally fills the field stretcher role.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
What if that WR ends up being a good player scoring 8-10 tuddys a season?
What if our defence ends up being so bad that it concedes 8-10 tuddys a game?

A WR at nineteen would be a luxury pick when we have so many holes to fill on the other side of the ball. Sure, if by some miracle Harrison, Nabers or Odunze is still there you take him. But that is very unlikely.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
19 is more about a stud than the position. Rams are higher than usual in this order so try to cash in with as high end a player as you can then worry about the other spots as you go.

This is why I say it might be someone the board doesn't like. Someone who represents risk and reward. Like the Penn St edge for example, or Latu where there is concern with the neck because otherwise we wouldn't be looking at him there.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree that McVay is probably looking for someone who can do it all. I also agree that their biggest need in the passing game is a tall, bigger bodied, vertical threat. I think the most important need to McVay though is a consistent speedy vertical threat that requires safety help over the top.

I love both Polk and McConkey but I question if they meet the need of someone who can consistently threaten that third level and stress the defense. They are more of the Nacua and Kupp type. As good as Nacua and Kupp are, they can win deep but aren't consistent deep threats that require safety attention.

McVay has been searching for the consistent X deep threat since he got here.

In 2017, he traded a 2nd for Watkins.
In 2018, he traded a 1st for Cooks.
In 2020, he used a 2nd round pick on Van Jefferson.
In 2021, he realized Van wasn't it and used another 2nd on Tutu.

In 2024, I think he wants both - someone who can do it all AND finally fills the field stretcher role.
He had a good one with Cooks. Cooks racks up 1K yards every year. I think too many of these tall deep threats are too one dimensional for his liking. That’s part of why he liked Atwell. Tutu was not just a deep ball guy in college.

Plus, if Kupp or Nacua are injured, that creates a hole in the versatility department. The deep threat, red zone guy is more of the role filled by Robinson right now. Even he isn’t a pure deep threat.

We may think that the Rams just need the deep ball type, but McVay hasn’t seemed to be content with any one trick ponies he’s had in that role.

I think he’d want another Kupp and Nacua. He could have signed some of Stafford’s deep pass receivers from Detroit but didn’t. So imo versatility, especially the ability to block and being able to get off of the line cleanly will be important traits, if they go WR. That makes each receiver a threat anywhere on the field and helps confuse the defense.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
He had a good one with Cooks. Cooks racks up 1K yards every year. I think too many of these tall deep threats are too one dimensional for his liking. That’s part of why he liked Atwell. Tutu was not just a deep ball guy in college.

Plus, if Kupp or Nacua are injured, that creates a hole in the versatility department. The deep threat, red zone guy is more of the role filled by Robinson right now. Even he isn’t a pure deep threat.

We may think that the Rams just need the deep ball type, but McVay hasn’t seemed to be content with any one trick ponies he’s had in that role.

I think he’d want another Kupp and Nacua. He could have signed some of Stafford’s deep pass receivers from Detroit but didn’t. So imo versatility, especially the ability to block and being able to get off of the line cleanly will be important traits, if they go WR. That makes each receiver a threat anywhere on the field and helps confuse the defense.
I think we're largely agreeing. I don't believe McVay wants a one trick pony either. A deep threat and a one trick pony aren't synonymous.

I think McVay wants someone who's versatile like a Kupp/Nacua PLUS has real speed to be a vertical threat. A la Cooks. Or a Mike Evans type.

WestCoastRam

Legend
McVay has always wanted an X. But X's come in different flavors. You can have a Cooks but you can also have a OBJ but you really want Julio Jones. He wants a guy who can tilt the field either through size or speed or a combo of both. But the guy needs to be able to run precise routes so prob not too big cause he's gonna want him to run digs, DIGS ALL DAY!

But... we need a guy to take over for Kupp eventually. So maybe we draft an X or maybe we draft Kupp's heir apparent. We'll prob draft one though.

Memphis Ram

Legend
1711208092873.png

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
What if our defence ends up being so bad that it concedes 8-10 tuddys a game?

A WR at nineteen would be a luxury pick when we have so many holes to fill on the other side of the ball. Sure, if by some miracle Harrison, Nabers or Odunze is still there you take him. But that is very unlikely.

This is exactly why I hate hate hate what the draft has become. Something that used to be fun to talk about that provided some hope and fun watching these players develop has become this overanalyzed, bastardized thing where if they take this guy, and its not one side's guy, it's the wrong guy because of arbitrary labels like "reach" and "value" and "steal".

Last I checked a single pick isn't the end all be all. So if they take a D player in another round and both end up being good, what the heck is the difference come September? I don't care if they do it the other way around either.

Point is if they take a WR it's probably b/c they like that player. Or whatever other position...and it doesn't equate to these other "holes" elsewhere that won't be addressed in some form of fashion.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Know of anyone in the draft who can do both?
That's tough, kinda different skill sets. Though you could put Kupp at X and he'd be okay.

Oddly, the best backup we have to Kupp on the team is Atwell. Different guys, different abilities but both operate best from the F spot.

dang

Legend
I had a thought regarding the Rams strategy for this years FA/Draft. There were 2-3 years left for Donald, Stafford and Kupp. Donald let them know he was out after the Lions game. So the focus will be to take advantage of Stafford and Kupp being around for the next 2 years. Prioritize the offense to take advantage of this and commit to a rebuild of the defense with Donald’s departure. With that said I see a WR and RB added in the draft for depth and serious contributions.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The Rams seem to do their best work with WRs in the mid to late rounds of the draft.

Kupp. Nacua. Josh Reynolds was great for his draft slot. Same for Benny Skow and Pharaoh Cooper, even if role players. Stedman Bailey was a home run IMO. I was extremely high on him and what he showed when given targets under Fisher - I think he would've became a Pro Bowler if he had the chance to develop under McVay.

What high picks (round 1 or 2) have the Rams even spent on WRs under Snead?

Tavon Austin? Tutu Atwell? Van Jefferson? I would say all failed to live up to expectations, though I wouldn't classify any as busts, and Austin at his peak could be a game-breaker with explosiveness.

We've never taken a traditional WR1 in rd 1. Austin was highly touted, but lacked prototypical size and routes, so I'd be open to it if the brass thinks it best. I trust them. But their body of work in the mid to late rounds is proven, drafting players that might not have all the measurables, but posses specific traits the organization believes will see them excel as Rams. I'd keep mining for that at WR, and spend the 1st elsewhere.

Last edited:

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
This is exactly why I hate hate hate what the draft has become.
I find it quite entertaining as, despite all the draft nerds arguing that Player A is 3/8 of an inch too short and Player B’s forty time was 0.05 seconds too slow, ultimately what we all think matters not one iota.

All we can do is trust McSnead to do the right thing; they haven’t done too badly so far.