Reasons for WR at 19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
Hard to guess what we’ll do.

Nacua and Kupp were draft day steals, both later rounds. Harris the only true bust.

2017 - Kupp and Reynolds
2018 - None
2019 - None
2020 - Van Jefferson
2021 - Atwell, Harris, Skow
2022 - None
2023 - Nacua
Considering Harris was drafted to play TE, 2/5 of our WR picks becoming superstars is a pretty damn good track record. And all of the WR picks contributed in some way eventually.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If you consider McSnead's pattern, they always try to stay ahead of the curve. They routinely draft replacements a year ahead of key players hitting free agency. The Kobie Turner pick last year was likely b/c they knew AD was leaving after this season. Per Jourdan, they've been strategizing for his eventual retirement since the 2022 SB.

Point being, they probably do know something about Kupp that we don't know about and are getting ahead of it. He's had two down years in a row, he's now 30, and has always been an injury concern. Why else would we see the interest in Evans, Odunze, Pearsall? All signs that point to WR being high on the list.

We know their strategy this year is to have an elite offense carry an average defense. What happens if Kupp has another year like 2022 and 2023? At that point, the WR room is just Puka and mediocrity. Definitely not elite.

Not saying there is a high likelihood but I can see a decent possibility of a trade up for one of the big three if one falls to say the 8-9 range and them staying put at 19 and taking Brian Thomas, Jr.
I sorta wonder if what was said to be the Rams interest in Evans was legit and not just kicking the tires or agent speak given his age and contract demands. He's older than Kupp. Odunze would be a find if he fell into their laps at #19. I'd guess that Jimmy Lake talked him up while he was with the team.

Evans and Odunze offer the Rams something that they don't have on the roster which is someone very good at those 50/50 balls Stafford threw a lot of in Detroit.

WR may be high on the list. I just doubt it happens in the 1st round. It's possible. I just don't see it happening. Especially since WR just might be the deepest position in the draft. I can imagine his buddy Shula has got to be in his ear. Something like "My first NFL DC gig, I've lost Donald, and we going WR here?" :laugh1:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm really starting to love Javon Baker in the 3rd if we are going WR in the top 100. He didn't blow anyone out of the water at the combine, but was more the adequate. His only concern is some drop issues, but he averaged 21.9 yards a catch last year and isn't a small guy (6'1). He also played his best in the biggest games. I'd rather him in the 3rd then Thomas in the 1st personally (or Mitchell and Worthy for that matter).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I sorta wonder if what was said to be the Rams interest in Evans was legit and not just kicking the tires or agent speak given his age and contract demands. He's older than Kupp. Odunze would be a find if he fell into their laps at #19. I'd guess that Jimmy Lake talked him up while he was with the team.

Evans and Odunze offer the Rams something that they don't have on the roster which is someone very good at those 50/50 balls Stafford threw a lot of in Detroit.

WR may be high on the list. I just doubt it happens in the 1st round. It's possible. I just don't see it happening. Especially since WR just might be the deepest position in the draft. I can imagine his buddy Shula has got to be in his ear. Something like "My first NFL DC gig, I've lost Donald, and we going WR here?" :laugh1:
It would seem that the Rams biggest need in the passing game is a tall receiver that can stretch the field. However, I question, after the Van Jefferson experiment, if McVay isn’t really interested in a receiver with a limited skillset like that. Atwell ran a lot of crossers in college. In the NFL Tutu’s skillset hasn't worked and was used sparingly to stretch the field. Nacua can do it all. Kupp can do it all. I think that would make Odunze so appealing. McVay has his receiver type and Odunze is it.

I don’t think they’d take an early receiver that is just a field stretcher. That’s why McConkey seems like a good fit. He can do it all too. I know they spoke with Piersall, but I’m guessing he gets picked too early for their liking. He seems to be gaining momentum with teams.

dang

Legend

I’m thinking WR with the R2.52 or R3.83 pick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I believe with Kupp’s health always in question, that not getting a WR in the first 3 rounds of this draft, would be a huge mistake.

When a draft is strong at certain position like WR is this year, a team can get a player that would be first round receiver in other drafts, in rounds two or three. The value of that is not arguable.

I’d like to see the Rams address bigger needs like Corner, DT and edge, but at the same time I’d love them to get a receiver out of the top of this draft.

WestCoastRam

Legend
WR may be high on the list. I just doubt it happens in the 1st round. It's possible.
Yeah, I agree, I think it's possible but not likely. If a guy like Thomas was there (I don't think he will be) I think they would consider it.

I don't love any of the edges in this draft. Turner, Verse, Laitu are all solid but not spectacular blue chip rushers. I don't know that there's a huge drop off from them and guys like the Murphy twins, Booker, Darius Robinson, and Kneeland.

I suspect that talent at 19 will be better at DT, WR, OG/OT, corner.

I think going corner is the right call if the choices are Arnold or Mitchell (one may fall) and Dejean.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
When a draft is strong at certain position like WR is this year, a team can get a player that would be first round receiver in other drafts, in rounds two or three. The value of that is not arguable.
FWIW, most drafts average 15-20 actually graded 1st round players. That being said, poor talent in other drafts can definitely push receivers up the board and those receivers will be available at the top of the 2nd this year.

Nate Tice and Bruglar have about 20 1st round grades this year. Which, if their scoring is right, puts us in an interesting spot at 19.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah and I also think that in prior offseasons they were able to benefit in having a HoF DT in place for their roster build, which meant they could get production from rotational edges and not get pushed around with a DL that felt a bit light in the pants. But AD leaving changes that equation.

Rams are very unpredictable in the draft. But I think this particular offseason has positioned them as a team who probably takes that edge or DT you covet on your board. Guessing around the league they are seen at 19 as a break point for some of the edges falling for example.

Doesn't mean they won't go WR or something else if it is clearly the value. But they seem to have a well defined need list as of now and if that means someone dips in front of them for Edge or DT they simply go to plan B whatever that is.

Also it would not surprise me if they were to ink Campbell to a one year and lessen the DT need. But closer the draft gets the more likely this is the plan.

dang

Legend
I’ll be wrong but I’m calling it here…
For the NFLs Round 2 52nd pick, the LA Rams select Ricky Pearsall WR Florida.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I’d like to see the Rams address bigger needs like Corner, DT and edge, but at the same time I’d love them to get a receiver out of the top of this draft.
Yeah I'd be happy with that too. If that is the board value take it and figure it out from there. And they always say they have scenarios pre-strategized. So there is undoubtedly one for wideout at the top.

WestCoastRam

Legend
He sure was fun in his first pre-season though
I loved the swing with him. It felt appropriate for that team's depth chart at that time, it was a end of the 4th round pick, he had ST value. We had been filling other needs before that in the draft.

But was a long shot.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
NO to a WR at 19. No no no. Makes no sense. This thread should be put out to pasture.
I don't disagree.... that is unless hell freezes over and one of the big 3 are not drafted by 19. That is my ONLY path to happiness with a WR in 1st.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like ROD is doing its best to make a WR the pick by vehemently not liking the idea