LEGEND Rate the Last Film You Saw

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Deadly Code 7.8 / 10

from IMDB.com:
Deadly Code is a crime drama based on the memoir Siberian Education by Russian writer Nicolai Lilin.

In the movie, two-time Academy Award nominee John Malkovich (Red) stars as the patriarch of a Siberian criminal clan who is banished to live in the punishment town of Transnistria in 1985. There, he schools his grandson on the “honest criminal” code of their community, which must never be broken.

good story about 2 siberian kids growing up in a small russian community. based on a memoir, its enjoyable to watch but I figured out some things before they happened, so maybe the writing wasnt all that as I usually figure things out as / after they happen on screen.

the issue i've read in reviews is the inaccuracy of the portrayal of siberians in a Ukra community. As another commenter pointed out, its not a documentary, so creative liberties will be taken.

I decided to watch it because John Malkovich was in it and I was rather pleased with another movie he was in (Bullet Head) so I decided to take a chance on this one. May have to start looking up some other films he's acted in that I havent watched yet.
Reprising his Teddy KBG accent?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hellboy 2

This one is Rated R

This beats every single "Superhero" movie to me. Mainly because it's not meant for kids. Lots of bad language, gore, and killer special effects / cool monsters.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
My lady called me when I was watching something on Prime and she wanted to know what was so funny. It was an old Julie Strain movie it was so bad I loved it but couldn't stop laughing :D
A Julie Strain strain.:yay:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm giving the new Lion King a 10/10, because I love the story and I don't care about the CPD constantly beating the "money grab drum".

Hakuna Matata, bitches.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I'm giving the new Lion King a 10/10, because I love the story and I don't care about the CPD constantly beating the "money grab drum".

Hakuna Matata, bitches.
What's Chicago police have against making money?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Rogue Male
8/10

Nice movie with Peter O’Toole as a guy on the run after taking a pot shot at Hitler. It’s on Amazon Prime - a real bad print - but excellent storytelling

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Joker
8/10

slow start but when it starts to move, it moves well. Leaves you thinking, which is always a good thing in a film.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Joker
8/10

slow start but when it starts to move, it moves well. Leaves you thinking, which is always a good thing in a film.

We went to see it last week. I have to disagree on moves well. Personally, I think this whole film could have been cut down to about a half hour and not lost anything.

It seems that people either really liked it or hated it. I personally hated it but my wife really liked it. My youngest hated it but my oldest really liked it.

I'll admit though that I just don't like this kind of movie and was looking for a character development with more action and Batman type stuff. I suppose I really don't care that much about EVERYTHING that made the Joker the Joker.

2/10

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We went to see it last week. I have to disagree on moves well. Personally, I think this whole film could have been cut down to about a half hour and not lost anything.

It seems that people either really liked it or hated it. I personally hated it but my wife really liked it. My youngest hated it but my oldest really liked it.

I'll admit though that I just don't like this kind of movie and was looking for a character development with more action and Batman type stuff. I suppose I really don't care that much about EVERYTHING that made the Joker the Joker.

2/10

it is certainly not a super hero movie. Like - not at all. But I kind of knew that coming in.
I can see where some people hated it - especially if they were hoping that it would be in that genre.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Joker: 1/10.

The only saving grace was Joaquin Phoenix's performance (which still wasn't better than Heath Ledger's, despite what critics will have you believe). Not only did the film have a terrible message, but it made zero sense. Joker should've been arrested and institutionalized a long time before he was able to kill the host...over and over again.

Now, I'm willing to overlook things in a superhero movie, but even then, some logical things have to be there.

And the message was terrible. How the director and the actors can defend this pile of shit is beyond me. Aside from the whole defending incels thing (which I'm not going to get into), it basically shat on people with legit mental illnesses (such as me).

I watched it with a friend hoping that it would be good. I was wrong.

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Joker: 1/10.

The only saving grace was Joaquin Phoenix's performance (which still wasn't better than Heath Ledger's, despite what critics will have you believe). Not only did the film have a terrible message, but it made zero sense. Joker should've been arrested and institutionalized a long time before he was got to kill the host...over and over again.

Now, I'm willing to overlook things in a superhero movie, but even then, some logical things have to be there.

And the message was terrible. How the director and the actors can defend this pile of shit is beyond me. Aside from the whole defending incels thing (which I'm not going to get into), it basically shat on people with legit mental illnesses (such as me).

I watched it with a friend hoping that it would be good. I was wrong.

I totally respect your take but I have to ask:
The message? What message did you take away from it?
What I saw is a drama about mental illness in a broken system/society and how that can create a monster.
There was no glorification of the violence or his sickness.

I thought it was very sad, very creepy and I thought a realistic look at a villain was refreshing.
The really scary villains in our world (like Hitler) are created when violent delusional psychopaths are celebrated by the angry masses, but I don't think there is just one message or one that is that direct.
If anything, this movie is about a simple question - if the Joker lived in the real world, what circumstances might it take to create someone like that?
I thought is was very well written, directed and acted.
Not everyone likes depressing psychological dramas and people who dont like that sort of film normally wont like one about a classic comics character - that might not be true for everyone who didn't like it but for a lot I think it is.
Also- I just like to debate and discuss movies. Don't mind me ;)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I totally respect your take but I have to ask:
The message? What message did you take away from it?
What I saw is a drama about mental illness in a broken system/society and how that can create a monster.
There was no glorification of the violence or his sickness.

I thought it was very sad, very creepy and I thought a realistic look at a villain was refreshing.
The really scary villains in our world (like Hitler) are created when violent delusional psychopaths are celebrated by the angry masses, but I don't think there is just one message or one that is that direct.
If anything, this movie is about a simple question - if the Joker lived in the real world, what circumstances might it take to create someone like that?
I thought is was very well written, directed and acted.
Not everyone likes depressing psychological dramas and people who dont like that sort of film normally wont like one about a classic comics character - that might not be true for everyone who didn't like it but for a lot I think it is.
Also- I just like to debate and discuss movies. Don't mind me ;)

I saw something that glorified the violence in the part where poor people were genuinely celebrating his accomplishments in the last part. That was incredibly direct to me, and it really disturbed me. There's the part where he basically stalked the female lead as well that would've been more at home with the incel community - which, though I admittedly didn't want to get into this - is also disturbing as a message.

And if it was in the real world, the Joker would've been caught right after he killed the three in the subway. There was a witness, he got fired from his job for having a gun with the exact same costume, etc. Then there was the stalking of Bruce and Thomas Wayne. Then the fight at Arkham Asylum with a witness. Then smothering his mother, where he was the only person in the room. Then killing his coworker - with a witness, of course. The two cops at the end would've called in backup to arrest him, given that he killed five people at the time.

There was absolutely no sense. None whatsoever. He would've been caught a long time before he killed the TV host, and even with the typical "supervillain" movie genre, it was unrealistic, and it really bugged me.

It was well-acted by Phoenix, honestly, but I had a hard time with the director defending it after watching it myself. I thought it was a trash message with the suspension of disbelief cranked up beyond the maximum.

EDIT: Oh, and the typical "mentally-ill people are predisposed to violence" thing. That bugged me the most.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I saw something that glorified the violence in the part where poor people were genuinely celebrating his accomplishments in the last part. That was incredibly direct to me, and it really disturbed me. There's the part where he basically stalked the female lead as well that would've been more at home with the incel community - which, though I admittedly didn't want to get into this - is also disturbing as a message.

And if it was in the real world, the Joker would've been caught right after he killed the three in the subway. There was a witness, he got fired from his job for having a gun with the exact same costume, etc. Then there was the stalking of Bruce and Thomas Wayne. Then the fight at Arkham Asylum with a witness. Then smothering his mother, where he was the only person in the room. Then killing his coworker - with a witness, of course. The two cops at the end would've called in backup to arrest him, given that he killed five people at the time.

There was absolutely no sense. None whatsoever. He would've been caught a long time before he killed the TV host, and even with the typical "supervillain" movie genre, it was unrealistic, and it really bugged me.

It was well-acted by Phoenix, honestly, but I had a hard time with the director defending it after watching it myself. I thought it was a trash message with the suspension of disbelief cranked up beyond the maximum.

EDIT: Oh, and the typical "mentally-ill people are predisposed to violence" thing. That bugged me the most.

Honestly there is a lot there that I could discuss point by point - horrible crimes are committed all of the time and not solved.
He was a perverted sexual deviant who knew he needed help, was only psychotic after they took him off his medication.
His stalking was disturbing- but not a "message".
I think the issue is that the lead is not a protagonist and that is aggravating for some viewers.... the film never asks the viewers to accept his sick behavior.
Most serial or spree killers and sexual predators are sick and many are off their meds when they commit their acts.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
it is certainly not a super hero movie. Like - not at all. But I kind of knew that coming in.
I can see where some people hated it - especially if they were hoping that it would be in that genre.
Nah. I knew kind of what to expect but I'm just not really into movies based on showing how deep and dark they can get. I get it. This deeply disturbing history is what made the Joker who he is. Or he could have been some creep kid who liked to torture animals. I just don't find the need to watch two hours of explaining why a guy is a total scum bag. Is he a product of what he went through? Yeah... He's not a real person so.... Don't care. Certainly don't need to be beat about the head with it for a couple hours.

I wasn't expecting a super hero movie. But I WAS expecting a bit more entertainment, intrigue maybe, a likeable character or two...

Like I said, just really not my cup o tea.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

I will watch this when it's on tv or something. But what you describe is exactly why I won't want watch it now. People will say it's about the message but I want to watch a movie about the Batman villain, not some social message.

I was very excited when they made the announcement for this movie, expecting an origin story leading into a story about Joker being the Batman's arch villain.

Not this. And Wonder Woman still remains DC's best movie. Yes, even over Dark Knight.