Rapeis Winston gets a 3 game suspension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well the Ray Rice, Zeke, Greg Hardy and Winston cases all seem to have the same gray area. None of them are being convicted of any crimes. For various reasons the charges get dropped or not filed. So the NFL IMO wades thru the abyss of offering enough punishment to please the public while having to deal with the NFLPA if seemingly too strict.
And in the end I see "the NFL" draws the ire of the public for whatever fine/punishment they come up with or try to get away with when the NFLPA seemingly gets away without any bad publicity.
I have yet to see the NFLPA ever say, "that punishment isn't enough"
That's my .02 on it

That’s not true in Greg Hardy’s case. In NC there is a very odd procedural loophole where a defendant can ask for a non-jury trial and then if found guilty, ask for a jury trial.

Greg Hardy was found guilty by a judge on the evidence. He asked for a jury trial and then paid off the person he attacked. How that’s not witness tampering and obstruction of justice is beyond me. But, that’s what he did. And they couldn’t use her prior testimony unless she was incapable of testifying and she simply refused having settled with Hardy for what had to be a pretty large sum. And because in NC, rape and sexual assaults aren’t crimes against the state, the jury trial was moot.

So, Greg Hardy in almost any other state would have been in jail for a very long time for his crimes. He was, in fact, found guilty in court based on evidence.

I’m not sure of the reasoning behind the NC procedural stuff, but it failed to put a criminal behind bars and that’s a shame.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
That’s not true in Greg Hardy’s case. In NC there is a very odd procedural loophole where a defendant can ask for a non-jury trial and then if found guilty, ask for a jury trial.

Greg Hardy was found guilty by a judge on the evidence. He asked for a jury trial and then paid off the person he attacked. How that’s not witness tampering and obstruction of justice is beyond me. But, that’s what he did. And they couldn’t use her prior testimony unless she was incapable of testifying and she simply refused having settled with Hardy for what had to be a pretty large sum. And because in NC, rape and sexual assaults aren’t crimes against the state, the jury trial was moot.

So, Greg Hardy in almost any other state would have been in jail for a very long time for his crimes. He was, in fact, found guilty in court based on evidence.

I’m not sure of the reasoning behind the NC procedural stuff, but it failed to put a criminal behind bars and that’s a shame.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/25/greg-hardy-ufc-nfl

By Robert Klemko

Sitting in the kitchen of the no-frills suite of dorm rooms above an MMA gym where he has lived these last 18 months, Hardy was calm and deferential, and growing annoyed that his calmness and deference hadn’t quashed the big question: Do you maintain the position that you’ve never put hands on a woman?

“Let me ask you this,” Hardy shoots back. “What’s the point of the question?”

As a reader sits there and tries to decide whether Greg Hardy should get a second chance, I say, that’s the first question: Does Greg still maintain his innocence? “I don’t maintain my innocence,” Hardy says. “The United States government maintains my innocence.”

It goes on like that.

There’s a difference between the government maintaining your innocence and you personally maintaining your innocence.

“I’m an American,” Hardy says, smiling coyly. “Why would I not go with my government?”

You know what I’m saying.

“I don’t. You’ll have to explain it better. I prefer not to get caught in the same trap by being put on the spot and asked the same question I’ve repeatedly answered before.”

I’m not trying to trap you. I just want to make sure that you haven’t changed your stance.

“That’s my answer,” Hardy says now, the smile gone. “My stance has been the same—it’s always been the same. I would ask the readers what their next question is, and why you would you still judge me off of my maintaining my innocence more so than for what I’m doing with my life and moving towards the future. I do maintain my innocence. I do regret what happened. I do feel like that is something that has happened, it’s in the past.”

What people questioned was when you suggested the photos could have been doctored.

“I did not suggest that at all.”

Didn’t you say something like “They can do anything with pictures”?

“Yessir—do you know where the pictures came from? It is in the case file, the one that was supposed to be locked away and never seen again, and what happens when case files are released is people take them and write their own story. ... If you’re going to ask a question, it should be a question that pertains to something relevant and that makes sense, because you can do anything to photos.”

What’s your theory on how the bruises came about?

“I’m not going to get into all that. I’m gonna keep the same answer I’ve always kept.”

And so here is Greg Hardy, after his ascent to NFL stardom and rapid fall. In May 2014, following his breakout season with the Panthers, Hardy was arrested in Charlotte and charged with assaulting and threatening to kill his then-girlfriend, Nicole Holder. Found guilty by a judge in a bench trial, he appealed for a jury trial under his rights in North Carolina.

Before that trial, however, prosecutors say he came to a settlement with Holder, who declined to testify, and the case was dismissed. The release of photos and graphic accounts of the incident in November 2015, while Hardy was with the Cowboys, turned the public against him for good, and no NFL team would sign him.

He then dedicated his life to a new sport, and is still not apologizing or admitting fault. He says he didn’t do it, and the state of North Carolina isn’t arguing otherwise, and another sports league is putting him back on television, back in your living room.
----------------------------------------
This is a long article which you can read in its entirety by clicking the link above.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The players union doesn't need to give "buy in". In fact they have on occasion sued Goodell and the NFL to change suspensions, or provided support for players who are suing. The Players Association has agreed in the CBA to violations and what the penalties are for first offense second offense and so on, but the NFL has a broad range and does not have to get anything OK'd by the NFLPA.

The two sides have been at odds regarding drug testing, conduct policies, HGH testing, domestic violence and other stuff including length of suspensions. In fact the original 2 games for domestic violence was something the NFLPA wanted in the CBA rather than a higher number of games.

If you mean buy-in as in "agreement" with a suspension with a public statement they almost always look at issues on a case by case basis and unless it's really a crazy situation where they stay quiet they side with the player. DSmith even sued the NFL to have a court revisit and re-decide the Ray Rice suspension.

I'd be all for a different system, maybe a committee of people outside of NFL or NFLPA employment who review facts and decide on punishment within parameters set by the union and league. The league needs to sit down with the union and get the freaking priorities straight and define the rules more thoroughly.

According to the rule that went into place a couple of years ago Winston should be getting 6 games. This is an excerpt from a memo Goodell sent out after the PR nightmare he and the union went through. They have the "out" to suspend a player more than six games depending on circumstances and in this case they should have..........in my opinion anyway.

“Effective immediately, violations of the Personal Conduct Policy regarding assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault that involve physical force will be subject to a suspension without pay of six games for a first offense, with consideration given to mitigating factors, as well as a longer suspension when circumstances warrant.” (This will not affect Rice’s current suspension.) A second offense will result in a ban from the league, with the opportunity to apply for reinstatement after one year.
But there is one thing they have complete agreement on;

The success of the NFL.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
this_thread_wont_die.jpg

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I can't recall the union ever saying punishment wasn't enough either. For fucks sake they tried to appeal Rice's suspension.
They have a fiduciary duty to appeal suspensions if the player requests it.

They are a union for individual players but the overall health of the league is overall more important because they represent all players.
The healthier the league the more money the players make.

The NFL and the players union have a very strong common interest.

The NFL looking as good as possible.