Ranking true No. 1 pass-catchers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'd cut that list in about half, but that's just me. To me some of those players have to do it for a couple more years to be on the same list as the Johnsons etc.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not on list that def should be- Welker, S Smith, D Jack,A Brown, Roddy WHite,Garcon

Watkins then becomes a little more comparable.

Height is surely an asset- but the 7 I listed have been highly productive without elite height. Every expert out there considers Watkins a top 10 talent for a reason- he can ball!

Welker's a slot guy. DeSean Jackson's not very good over the middle. Antonio Brown has good numbers, but is he really a #1 WR or simply the leading WR on his team.

Roddy White 6012, 207 lbs., 4.46/40, 41" vertical jump
Pierre Garcon 5117, 210 lbs., 4.42/40, 36 1/2" vertical jump
Steve Smith 5090, 184 lbs. 4.41/40, 38 1/2" vertical jump

tbux

Rookie
Welker's a slot guy. DeSean Jackson's not very good over the middle. Antonio Brown has good numbers, but is he really a #1 WR or simply the leading WR on his team.

Roddy White 6012, 207 lbs., 4.46/40, 41" vertical jump
Pierre Garcon 5117, 210 lbs., 4.42/40, 36 1/2" vertical jump
Steve Smith 5090, 184 lbs. 4.41/40, 38 1/2" vertical jump

so you cant play the slot and be a #1? somehow Gronk and Graham got nominated and accepted as TE's? and thanks for posting the other three who are similar in size/speed. So is it your contention he cannot be a #1 caliber WR? Im kinda confused. And yes A Brown is the goto #1 guy on his team. You don't have to be 6'3 and jump 40+ vertical to be a #1.

RamsFan14

Starter
Okay idk about Wes Welker right NOW but at one point, he was a number 1 WR (a TOP WR might I add). Just because he was/is a slot WR, doesn't mean he can't be classified as a #1 wideout, that just seems absurd to me that ppl believe that!!! Tom Brady constantly relied on him in NE, isn't that what you WANT in a WR?!?! Play consistent, get open, make catches, make big plays, be RELIED on by your QB?!?! Those seem like attributes I'd look for in a #1 WR, idk about some of you guys. Granted, he might not be your TRADITIONAL WR, he's more then gotten the job done for the last 7ish years. He was as quick as anyone and that's what made him special, he could get open easily on the underneath rounds and gain yards after the catch (using his brain to dictate coverage and using the quickness to gain separation). He's not your Calvin Johnson kind of player, if anything he's as close to an opposite as you can get (when you think about it, that's probably what makes Welker special...). Welker was a dominate WR based on his skills and his brain, idk why on earth people say he wasn't a #1 WR just because he plays different then most WRs... Using the slot as an excuse to say a guy isn't a #1 just sounds absurd. Wow NE didn't give him as much money as he wanted, thus he must not be a #1 WR... :mad: o_O

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Again. You know a #1 when you see one. I don't think people should rely on the old standard where a #1 was a X or Z receiver like Bruce or Holt. Nowadays a #1 can come from anywhere - including the Y and TE spot (see: Jimmy Graham, Welker/Amendola, or old school Tony Gonzo). This is purely a subjective definition now when you take into account the way the passing game has evolved with pseudo-spread and ball-control offenses. Whoever that guy is ... the one who's going to be the go-to in critical situations, and tends to lead the team in receptions, that's a #1. They come in many shapes and sizes now (shut up Les).

tbux

Rookie
Again. You know a #1 when you see one. I don't think people should rely on the old standard where a #1 was a X or Z receiver like Bruce or Holt. Nowadays a #1 can come from anywhere - including the Y and TE spot (see: Jimmy Graham, Welker/Amendola, or old school Tony Gonzo). This is purely a subjective definition now when you take into account the way the passing game has evolved with pseudo-spread and ball-control offenses. Whoever that guy is ... the one who's going to be the go-to in critical situations, and tends to lead the team in receptions, that's a #1. They come in many shapes and sizes now (shut up Les).

agreed

Memphis Ram

Legend
so you cant play the slot and be a #1? somehow Gronk and Graham got nominated and accepted as TE's? and thanks for posting the other three who are similar in size/speed. So is it your contention he cannot be a #1 caliber WR? Im kinda confused. And yes A Brown is the goto #1 guy on his team. You don't have to be 6'3 and jump 40+ vertical to be a #1.

Sorry, I didn't accept Gronk or Graham as #1 WRs. They are TEs.

And no I don't believe that a slot WR is a true #1 WR. To me a legit #1 WR can make plays and be a matchup problem inside and outside. If Welker is a #1 WR then so was Amendola. And Amendola was also the go to guy with the Rams, but that doesn't make him a #1 WR either.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Okay idk about Wes Welker right NOW but at one point, he was a number 1 WR (a TOP WR might I add). Just because he was/is a slot WR, doesn't mean he can't be classified as a #1 wideout, that just seems absurd to me that ppl believe that!!! Tom Brady constantly relied on him in NE, isn't that what you WANT in a WR?!?! Play consistent, get open, make catches, make big plays, be RELIED on by your QB?!?! Those seem like attributes I'd look for in a #1 WR, idk about some of you guys. Granted, he might not be your TRADITIONAL WR, he's more then gotten the job done for the last 7ish years. He was as quick as anyone and that's what made him special, he could get open easily on the underneath rounds and gain yards after the catch (using his brain to dictate coverage and using the quickness to gain separation). He's not your Calvin Johnson kind of player, if anything he's as close to an opposite as you can get (when you think about it, that's probably what makes Welker special...). Welker was a dominate WR based on his skills and his brain, idk why on earth people say he wasn't a #1 WR just because he plays different then most WRs... Using the slot as an excuse to say a guy isn't a #1 just sounds absurd. Wow NE didn't give him as much money as he wanted, thus he must not be a #1 WR... :mad: o_O

If Welker was a #1 WR, then so was Amendola. Yet, many say that Bradford has never had one.:whistle:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If Welker was a #1 WR, then so was Amendola. Yet, many say that Bradford has never had one.:whistle:
I thought he had multiple #1's over the course of his career.

Alexander
Amendola
Clayton
Lloyd

Problem is, none of them were available to him for a full year.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
of your top 14 which ones helped their team make the playoffs? so is a #1 needed or does a very good o line make everyone better?

RamsFan14

Starter

Amendola vs Welker is not really an argument IMO. Amendola wasn't reliable when it came to health. If he stayed healthy and continued to produce for us, I'd consider him a #1 WR and he'd probably still be with this team because Bradford REALLY trusted him with the football. Again, Amendola has to continue to produce and be a difference maker if he stayed healthy, but he did show signs of that. Think about it this way, why did NE sign him to replace Welker? They both play the game the same, but there's one huge difference between the two: health. Amendola is doing what he did here, he played pretty solid football (okay maybe not his best in NE, but next year I totally expect him to have his offensive system down) BBUUTT he couldn't stay healthy (AGAIN).

So for Welker, posting 1,500 yards in a season and having receiving of at least 1,000 yards 5 out of 6 years in NE doesn't make him a #1 type of WR?!?!?! I think that's nuts personally, the man produced and created a LOT of problems for defenses... He did have Gronk and Moss to help at certain times, but I mean you can't say Welker didn't put up numbers, because he did! Brady trusted him and Welker knew how to get first downs.

Amendola and Welker don't really compare when it comes to being a top WR because we haven't seen what Amendola can do being the full time starter because he gets hurt! They have similar game styles, but only one has consistently played and that's honestly the biggest difference to me.

tbux

Rookie
Amendola vs Welker is not really an argument IMO. Amendola wasn't reliable when it came to health. If he stayed healthy and continued to produce for us, I'd consider him a #1 WR and he'd probably still be with this team because Bradford REALLY trusted him with the football. Again, Amendola has to continue to produce and be a difference maker if he stayed healthy, but he did show signs of that. Think about it this way, why did NE sign him to replace Welker? They both play the game the same, but there's one huge difference between the two: health. Amendola is doing what he did here, he played pretty solid football (okay maybe not his best in NE, but next year I totally expect him to have his offensive system down) BBUUTT he couldn't stay healthy (AGAIN).

So for Welker, posting 1,500 yards in a season and having receiving of at least 1,000 yards 5 out of 6 years in NE doesn't make him a #1 type of WR?!?!?! I think that's nuts personally, the man produced and created a LOT of problems for defenses... He did have Gronk and Moss to help at certain times, but I mean you can't say Welker didn't put up numbers, because he did! Brady trusted him and Welker knew how to get first downs.

Amendola and Welker don't really compare when it comes to being a top WR because we haven't seen what Amendola can do being the full time starter because he gets hurt! They have similar game styles, but only one has consistently played and that's honestly the biggest difference to me.

Welker not a #1 is laughable- it really is. kinda makes everything else you said moot. He has been one of the best wrs for the last 5 years- I don't even think it is debatable.

tbux

Rookie
Welker not a #1 is laughable- it really is. kinda makes everything else you said moot. He has been one of the best wrs for the last 5 years- I don't even think it is debatable.

Sorry meant to quote Memphis there. you were dead on Ramsfan14

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I don't think that Jeff Fisher has ever had a #1 WR. Derrick Mason was good, and there were a few other guys, but beside Mason has any Fisher WR every caught over 60 passes? THis is a question...usually the TE had the most catches on the team for him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think that Jeff Fisher has ever had a #1 WR. Derrick Mason was good, and there were a few other guys, but beside Mason has any Fisher WR every caught over 60 passes? THis is a question...usually the TE had the most catches on the team for him.

Drew Bennett did with 80 catches one year.(I know that's like uttering Voldemort here)

Haywood Jeffires had 61 catches in Fisher's first full year as a HC.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Yep, I was thinking about him....so he did have 60+...I guess that is how he got that ram's contract!

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought he had multiple #1's over the course of his career.

Alexander
Amendola
Clayton
Lloyd

Problem is, none of them were available to him for a full year.

You think those four guys were #1 wr's???

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yep, never a #1 wr and never drafted OL in round 1.

Will EITHER of those things change May 8th?

Stay tuned.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep, never a #1 wr and never drafted OL in round 1.

Will EITHER of those things change May 8th?

Stay tuned.

IMO, Derrick Mason was a #1 WR. 12,000+ career receiving yards, nearly 1000 catches, and 8 1000+ yard seasons...that's a #1 WR in my book.