Ranking true No. 1 pass-catchers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Drew Bennett did with 80 catches one year.(I know that's like uttering Voldemort here)

Haywood Jeffires had 61 catches in Fisher's first full year as a HC.

Yep. 80 catches, 1247 yards, 11 TDS for Bennett. For one season he was a so-called #1 WR.

Welker not a #1 is laughable- it really is. kinda makes everything else you said moot. He has been one of the best wrs for the last 5 years- I don't even think it is debatable.

No one is disputing Welker as a very good WR. But, I wouldn't call him a #1 WR just because he was able to expose defenses in the slot and put up numbers in a very pass happy offense. No more than I would call a healthy Amendola a #1 WR because he could do the same in the slot and produce numbers due to Bradford locking in on him.

In the end, if a #1 WR can be a slot type, then let's forget all the Sammy Watkins / Mike Evans talk and let's give Tavon Austin the time to develop into one. Few, if any, are talking about him developing into a #1 WR. Even many of the same posters that plastering Rams message boards calling for the Rams to do anything to get him. I wonder why?:whistle:

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
:rolleyes:so a #1 wr has to be an outside wr? got it

He's got to be able to produce and draw coverage playing inside and outside, IMO.

And tbux, you were one of the those posters calling for Tavon Austin last year. But, now all of the sudden, the team supposedly still needs a #1 WR and can't afford to pass up on Sammy Watkins. Again, why can't Tavon Austin (again the guy you were calling for last year) be that #1 WR?:oops:

Last edited:

tbux

Rookie
I didnt say he couldnt- im saying Watkins is an outside thread- Tavon an inside one- you think Denver minds having essentially 2 #1 caliber wrs? doubtful. Or Atl or Chi. Im sure they dont mind it. I am not regretful of Tavon like some- I still love the move. I think he is going to be a serious problem for D's. Watkins is a totally different player and will only help.

and I absolutely disagree with your def of #1 wr.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
It'll be interesting to see how Erick Decker does in NY...and also Demaryius Thomas when Manning retires.

Well we've seen D. Thomas when Tebow was the QB. Can't see them having someone worse than that.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I didnt say he couldnt- im saying Watkins is an outside thread- Tavon an inside one- you think Denver minds having essentially 2 #1 caliber wrs? doubtful. Or Atl or Chi. Im sure they dont mind it. I am not regretful of Tavon like some- I still love the move. I think he is going to be a serious problem for D's. Watkins is a totally different player and will only help.

and I absolutely disagree with your def of #1 wr.

So now the Rams need two #1 WRs? An outside threat #1 and an inside threat #1?

Yeah, I'll stick with the NFL personnel executives who say that there aren't really that many #1 WRs in the entire NFL.

Last edited:

tbux

Rookie
So now the Rams need two #1 WRs? An outside threat #1 and an inside threat #1?

Yeah, I'll stick with the NFL personnel executives who say that there aren't really that many #1 WRs in the entire NFL.

I don't get caught up in labels Memphis- what is clear is that right now- we don't have a great outside threat- Watkins is surely that. NEVER once said need- I think he is the best fit for our team- you don't- np. If Tavon and Watkins (if we draft him) end up both #1 caliber wrs- nice problem to have - like in ATL, Den, Chi. nothing wrong with that. Currently we don't have any.

tbux

Rookie
Yep. Because the slot WR is a slot WR.

yeah disagree strongly. Welker was Bradys #1, Harvin when healthy was Minny's #1. Graham as a TE is Brees' #1 option. We all must have different definitions of a #1. I don't think he is relegated to be an outside wr.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't get caught up in labels Memphis- what is clear is that right now- we don't have a great outside threat- Watkins is surely that.

Watkins wasn't even all that much of a deep outside threat in college!! So he is going to come to the NFL with that mediocre speed and start scaring defenders?? Watkins = Givens. Shot yardage WR that has the ability to break it long. If watkins ends up in horns, I will love him, no doubt, but I do not see why some people have such a crush on this guy....I just don't.

tbux

Rookie
Watkins wasn't even all that much of a deep outside threat in college!! So he is going to come to the NFL with that mediocre speed and start scaring defenders?? Watkins = Givens. Shot yardage WR that has the ability to break it long. If watkins ends up in horns, I will love him, no doubt, but I do not see why some people have such a crush on this guy....I just don't.

Mediocre speed? first time I heard that one- you realize that game speed and track speed are two different things right? on the field, he is anything but mediocre. And he= givens? WOW sorry man- that is out there.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't get caught up in labels Memphis- what is clear is that right now- we don't have a great outside threat- Watkins is surely that. NEVER once said need- I think he is the best fit for our team- you don't- np. If Tavon and Watkins (if we draft him) end up both #1 caliber wrs- nice problem to have - like in ATL, Den, Chi. nothing wrong with that. Currently we don't have any.

What's actually true is that we don't know what we have yet or what Watkins is "surely," unless NFL unknown is the description. For all we know the guys already on the roster could develop into what many here, who seem to have totally disregarded the typical young WR development timetable, want so badly.

ATL, Den. Chi.? If the Rams plan to pass as often as those teams do vs. running the football, I'd love to have that problem.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
OK, maybe not mediocre, I am just spoiled by Tavon. ;)

Givens 40 - 4.41
Watkins 40 - 4.43

So in that regard, yes, they cancel each other out. Givens had a solid rookie year with his deep speed, which is something he utilized in college. Last year, it seemed as if defenses were able to take that away by rolling coverage his way. The Rams then used him a lot more on short screens (where he had some success) and on intermediate routes (not so much success). I would expect NFL defenses to react the same way to Watkins as they did to Givens. I think Watkins will do well on the WR screens, but it is anyone's guess as to how he will fare on the intermediate stuff at this level. Watkins should certainly be the better WR, but I am just not convinced it will be by a wide margin. Especially in a Schotty offense (pun intended). We shall see.

tbux

Rookie
I hope you can see the difference in skill set between the two- because other than straight line speed- they are EXTREMELY dissimilar.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yeah disagree strongly. Welker was Bradys #1, Harvin when healthy was Minny's #1. Graham as a TE is Brees' #1 option. We all must have different definitions of a #1. I don't think he is relegated to be an outside wr.

Being a #1 WR and a #1 target in the passing game are two different things. There are 32 #1 targets. There are not 32 #1 WRs. Slot WRs are not #1 WRs in my book. That title is reserved for players that play and win outside.

tbux

Rookie
Being a #1 WR and a #1 target in the passing game are two different things. There are 32 #1 targets. There are not 32 #1 WRs. Slot WRs are not #1 WRs in my book. That title is reserved for players that play and win outside.

I agree there aren't 32 #1 wrs- I disagree it has to be an outside wr.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree there aren't 32 #1 wrs- I disagree it has to be an outside wr.

If a player is so limited in his skill-set that he must play the slot...how can be a #1 WR? That's my issue with this. I wouldn't call a slot CB a "#1 CB".

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wow someone is smokin the weed again I think....:eek: