Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
As always, plenty to agree with, but the notion that Ramsey is in decline is a little bizarre. If decline means making the pro-bowl rather being named all-pro then he declined last season :)

Considering how the offense played; the lack of pass rush and injuries in the secondary, that might just have been his best season...

Miami have pulled off one of the best trades in living memory simply because we need the cap space. Nothing else to see here. I think we can overcome Ramsey leaving even if it involves a drop off at CB but don’t tell me we are lucky to have traded him when we did
Nobody said " we were lucky to trade him when we did". At least not yet. But whenever that is, better too early than too late. And he'll be 29 in October, so that time ain't too far away.

Ramsey has been an all around CB. Nobody said, "my wife Emily can tackle better than him" like Bednarik said of Neon Deion. Is Ramsey prone to the dumb penalty? Yes. Does he shut down the opponents #1 WR? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Is he worth 27 mil cap hit? Not anymore. But thanks for the Lombardi!!!

Best trades in living memory? That's not an exagerration in the reverse, eh? I think that still resides in Dallas with the Herschel deal. And there are probably a half dozen deals better than Miami/Ramsey including the 3 way for E.D. and the Rams getting Faulk.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
But they won the Superbowl didn't they? Shit!!! No they didn't!¡!

Not looking good for what? A winning season? A playoff berth? A SB appearance? A Lombardi?

I see a lot of fans saying 2023 is going to be a shit year. Because we lost a 33 yr old declining ILB, 31 yr old OLB who had 9 sacks (11 games without a sack), a 29 yr old CB (in decline) and 7 guys who never saw the field?

Or is this a common case of over valuation? Right now we still have Stafford & Kupp on offense and the 3 time DPOY on defense. Plus, many young players around them. Free agency has yet to play out and we have 11 picks in the 2023 draft. But we're toast? Done? Non competetive?

Hell, I guess I should just watch the NHL and NBA this fall!!!
Damn bro, didn't know you wanted me to break it down, just ask lol ...Not looking good for a winning season at the moment as we have quite a few holes to fill. I also said we don't know the plan and there's time. At this particular moment as in right now, doesn't feel like we will compete this year for a chip which is all a fan truly wants to hope for. I'll state it again since people seem to miss my comments, there's time and it can change with some luck.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Nobody said " we were lucky to trade him when we did". At least not yet. But whenever that is, better too early than too late. And he'll be 29 in October, so that time ain't too far away.

Ramsey has been an all around CB. Nobody said, "my wife Emily can tackle better than him" like Bednarik said of Neon Deion. Is Ramsey prone to the dumb penalty? Yes. Does he shut down the opponents #1 WR? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Is he worth 27 mil cap hit? Not anymore. But thanks for the Lombardi!!!

Best trades in living memory? That's not an exagerration in the reverse, eh? I think that still resides in Dallas with the Herschel deal. And there are probably a half dozen deals better than Miami/Ramsey including the 3 way for E.D. and the Rams getting Faulk.
I don’t think it is if you are a Miami fan. Ramsey for a 3rd plus reserve TE. That’s pretty sensational, but heh ho. I checked and it was you who said he was in decline so I get your reaction. Let’s leave it there as I don’t agree and so what more is there to say?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don’t think it is if you are a Miami fan. Ramsey for a 3rd plus reserve TE. That’s pretty sensational, but heh ho. I checked and it was you who said he was in decline so I get your reaction. Let’s leave it there as I don’t agree and so what more is there to say?
Well then, thats it. It's no longer the greatest trade in recent history. It's only IF you're a Miami fan. It's morphed in 15 minutes! Miami to the SB!!!

Tano

Legend
Well then, thats it. It's no longer the greatest trade in recent history. It's only IF you're a Miami fan. It's morphed in 15 minutes! Miami to the SB!!!
Sarcasm much? At least use blue font in your statements.
Episode 14 Nbc GIF by One Chicago

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Getting a TE from the Dolphins saves them a draft pick this year. Long has average speed for the position. Said to have hands of glue with good body control as a receiver. A willing blocker who understands blocking concepts. To be honest sounds like a Higbee who can block. The fact the Rams had him included in the trade could be significant. This offense has missed having a TE who can actually block and be a good receiver both. Mundt was a decent blocker but a poor receiver. Higbee was a receiving TE and piss poor blocker. Don't forget Higbee is in a contract year and probably will be gone after the season. I think we are looking at his replacement in Long. Which is why I say Long saves the Rams a third round pick. That pick could be a LB or center.

So in essence the Rams are getting two third round players (Long was a 3rd round pick) for a disgruntled Ramsey. That is better than getting a single second round pick and no player. Hopkins was a 4th round pick in 2020 (a year earlier than Long) and has struggled as a blocking TE. If Long can be a blocking and receiving TE both the Rams have actually upgraded their TE position.

So best case scenario, the Rams unload a very expensive CB and receive a young (24 years old) TE and a 3rd round pick this year. Frankly I don't see the downside. That is especially true if Long is indeed an upgrade at TE.

The Rams are clearing cap space so Snead can go back to wheeling and dealing next year with first round picks to work with.

Yeah, I for one have no problem with this trade.
Les Snead is that you?!

Well you make some good points @oldnotdead. Hard to argue with your opinion. I guess I feel a little better now with the trade.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

This is an example of why I consider National Media pretty fucking useless for Die-Hard Rams' fans.

Albert Breer seems like a nice enough guy. I have no real opinion on him. However, to a Rams' fan that pays attention and is objective, this comment is pretty fucking stupid ... and Annoying.

The Rams like young 'CB Robert Rochell' ... REALLY!
Do you guys think Albert Breer has any fucking idea that throughout the miserable 2022 season, the Rams never put Robert Rochell on the field? In 17 games, Rochell was on-the-field for 26 plays (not counting STs).

Who knows that stuff? Fans who watch all the Rams' games and pay attention. Die-Hard Rams' fans.

We know that. Albert Breer and his colleagues do not.

Now I will give Breer the benefit of a doubt. that he spoke with someone in the Rams' Organization; and that comment about Rochell was made to Breer who simply reported it. However, a knowledgeable Rams' fan is probably thinking "Bull-shit"; and hoping that it's true but thinking ... "Nah, that's Bull-Shit"

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Huh? Not following your reasoning on this.

My take from the article was that OF COURSE Rams are looking to get max value from the highest bidder. But Ramsey's salary demands were lowering the number of potential suitors, and decreasing the Rams' leverage.

Snead of course did not "overlook more value from another team."

EDIT: A line from Jourdan Rodrigue's article about the trade:

It lacked guaranteed money on the back end, which Ramsey and the Rams have mutually understood for weeks would have to come from somewhere else, and the Dolphins were willing and able to add it.

To me, I interpret that as, Jalen said, "I want the back end $ guaranteed" and the Rams said, "I'm sorry but we're not gonna do that." So then Ramsey and the Rams "mutually" agreed that a trade was necessary because Rams were unwilling to increase the guaranteed $.
I think you are viewing the situation after the fact without looking at the context.
Ramsey was a loyal soldier last season, played the whole season even when other players "got injured" and took the rest of the season off and defended Morris when many criticized him. He is/was a true team player. When rumors first came out that he *could* be traded, he was clearly upset about it. I dont think he any intention of playing anywhere else.
Let's be 100% clear here, he didnt initiate the trade, didnt force his way out. He reacted to the speculation, which became rumors and frankly when it became reality that he was on the market, he did what was best for him. This is why players get the no-trade clause. He had his contract restructured once, helped the team out and didnt have guaranteed monies attached. So yeah, he now became a trade commodity, and made sure he got himself protected. Was a smart move to request the money being guaranteed (even though 2023 was virtually guaranteed anyway since he wasnt getting cut).
Cant imagine anyone would suggest that as a Ram, he should make it as easy as possible to trade him so they could get the most value.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
That’s not what I said in my original post. What are you, 10 years old :)

PARAM

Hall of Fame
That’s not what I said in my original post. What are you, 10 years old :)
Oh, you're one of "them". You don't know me from Adam.

Tackle said, "Miami have pulled off one of the best trades in living memory". I wasn't trying to parse words but "one of the best trades in living memory" could be construed as one of the best trades ever. Especially to someone like myself who has seen quite a few trades over the last 56 years and doesn't currently suffer from alzheimers. Living memory could cover a looong time?

But that's cool, insult the poster. Good form sport!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Maybe, he likes living in Florida as well.

He's rich and he's won a Super Bowl.
It's very possible, that he just wants to play out his last contract where he's happy.
It's a great conservative pro-law enforcement state that has a ton of hard-working families moving too.

A big difference between CA state income tax $$$$$$$ vs zero :hush:income tax for people who do make very big $$$$.

It's where Jalen wanted to return.

Last edited:

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto

PARAM

Hall of Fame
"Long missed time with an ankle injury last season, but also didn’t have a role on the offense behind Mike Gesicki and Durham Smythe. Much worse than that, tight ends coach Jon Embree openly questioned Long’s commitment to football. Embree went onto say that though he questioned it in the past, that he proved his commitment and “handled it very well” when the team transitioned to a new coaching staff. There were also rumors of Miami wanting to trade fellow tight end Mike Geisicki during the season and we’ll see if that happens."

Yeah, there were issues with Geisicki last year. 21 receptions, 4 TDs through the first 8 weeks while Miami went 5-3. 11 receptions, 1 TD over the last 9 weeks while Miami went 4-5. 19 receptions for a guy who averaged 33 over the previous 3 years with the old regime? So maybe this Miami staff doesn't use TEs like some other teams? Or maybe they don't know how to utilize a good one? Maybe Long is a bum? Who knows? But I don't think the inclusion of Long was the key factor in trading Ramsey!

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend

Dolphins coaching staff questioned Hunter Long’s commitment to football​

Yeah I've seen several versions of this article with this headline but is deceiving because the coaches basically say they wondered if he lacked commitment but he proved to them that he did. Overall, I'm kind of meh on this but he does show great ability as a receiver downfield. Just lacks physicality... which concerns me since we already have that exact TE in Hopkins. But will see what a change of scenery does.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Momento, no need to get personal we all have our viewpoints. I will tell you what. Go back and look at the Raider game last season. Watch the entire game and then say with a straight face how good Havenstein is and how I'm wrong about his struggles against speed and power. He was the worst of the OL that day. He also struggled against Carlos Dunlap when he was in Seattle. Go back and watch how Dunlap owned Rob.

And you don't get personal against the players and coaches you don't like and insult (i.e., Morris - and even a moderator had to tell you to cut it out when you went too far) - which, need I remind you, is against the rules? And one game? Look at the entire season. Look at the entire offensive line over that period of time. Havenstein is far from the worst.

But I digress. I won't take back what I said; I think you're pushing a narrative to justify this trade. I understand that as a fellow fan, and I've done that myself. I just don't think you can justify this exact trade.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Okay, best case scenario for Long and it's a his-name-shot: He can develop into a prototypical in-line TE and significantly improve his blocking while offering some benefit on seam routes and outlet targets. He takes over for Higbee in a year.

Tangentially, Rams probably look to target a move TE and not a traditional TE type in this draft. This guy will be able to share the Skowrenek role this season. Lining up off the line and in the backfield. Think LaPorta more than Washington (though I expect both to be there for Rams in 3rd).

Ram65

Legend
Many people here not realizing that Ramsey FORCED this trade due to his new increased salary demands.

Ramsey got over 25M in GUARANTEED money from Dolphins as a result of this trade.

And THAT is why Rams could only get a 3rd round pick in return.

Snead got the best offer he could, given Ramsey's insistence on increasing the guaranteed $.

My take from the article was that OF COURSE Rams are looking to get max value from the highest bidder. But Ramsey's salary demands were lowering the number of potential suitors, and decreasing the Rams' leverage.

It lacked guaranteed money on the back end, which Ramsey and the Rams have mutually understood for weeks would have to come from somewhere else, and the Dolphins were willing and able to add it.

To me, I interpret that as, Jalen said, "I want the back end $ guaranteed" and the Rams said, "I'm sorry but we're not gonna do that." So then Ramsey and the Rams "mutually" agreed that a trade was necessary because Rams were unwilling to increase the guaranteed $.

I liked the article.

Without a doubt, an unhappy Ramsey would be a pain in the ass for the Rams to keep. As stated he will most likely sulk and not play up to his ability or fake an injury. I didn't take this into consideration that Ramsey was wanting a better deal ie more guaranteed money over the past month or so. Considering the Rams cap situation taking on more guaranteed cap was not on the table. The Rams may have decided to trade him either way but, this pushes the trade thought moving along.

The debate about Ramsey losing speed and his coverage ability will take a couple of years to come to light. It will be entertaining watching the ROD posts. Considering Ramsey wanted and getting the rest of his contract guaranteed, Snead got what he could in the trade. The Rams need to rip off the band-aide by releasing the top-heavy salary cap drain players. Wagner, Floyd and Ramsey.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I don't like the way the article goes out of its way to draw parallels with 2019. I just think these situations are different.

My read on this (and maybe I'm wrong who knows) is that he was hurt by the Rams putting him on the market. And I think that because of how upset he seemed to be when the news broke. But also because of the way he defended Morris and the difference in this situation vs the 2019 trade where he wanted out of a bad team. He just seemed to me to be all-in with the Rams.

I do think it's possible that he had his agent play hardball to drive a destination he could stomach, after the fact. And one way to do that is to use the "well I want guaranteed money on the back end" gamesmanship the author alludes to. But I don't blame Ramsey for doing that, that's just a star player using his resources to try to affect his destination.

Seems to me that author of the article uses quite a bit of creative license.