Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NCRamGuy

Rookie
Name
ManmadeRam
I don't know what everyone is upset about, Hunter Long looks like a stud!!!!!

1678667841136.png

oldnotdead

Legend
Getting a TE from the Dolphins saves them a draft pick this year. Long has average speed for the position. Said to have hands of glue with good body control as a receiver. A willing blocker who understands blocking concepts. To be honest sounds like a Higbee who can block. The fact the Rams had him included in the trade could be significant. This offense has missed having a TE who can actually block and be a good receiver both. Mundt was a decent blocker but a poor receiver. Higbee was a receiving TE and piss poor blocker. Don't forget Higbee is in a contract year and probably will be gone after the season. I think we are looking at his replacement in Long. Which is why I say Long saves the Rams a third round pick. That pick could be a LB or center.

So in essence the Rams are getting two third round players (Long was a 3rd round pick) for a disgruntled Ramsey. That is better than getting a single second round pick and no player. Hopkins was a 4th round pick in 2020 (a year earlier than Long) and has struggled as a blocking TE. If Long can be a blocking and receiving TE both the Rams have actually upgraded their TE position.

So best case scenario, the Rams unload a very expensive CB and receive a young (24 years old) TE and a 3rd round pick this year. Frankly I don't see the downside. That is especially true if Long is indeed an upgrade at TE.

The Rams are clearing cap space so Snead can go back to wheeling and dealing next year with first round picks to work with.

Yeah, I for one have no problem with this trade.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It sucks ass and return is not close to what anyone of us wanted. When first read the news was like wtf we got fleeced. We did short term but long term will help. As much as I hate it mcvay and snead brought us back to relevance and a sb, so will drink to Ramsey and how great he was for us and wish him the best, will believe in this staff till they prove me otherwise.

I just hope I'm still alive in 2025 when the Rams are back on top.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Rams will be back on top this next year, they gonna make some moves and people gonna be healthy, just you wait and see!!!!

I'd like to see it, although my optimism hasn't reached such heights just yet.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Getting a TE from the Dolphins saves them a draft pick this year. Long has average speed for the position. Said to have hands of glue with good body control as a receiver. A willing blocker who understands blocking concepts. To be honest sounds like a Higbee who can block. The fact the Rams had him included in the trade could be significant. This offense has missed having a TE who can actually block and be a good receiver both. Mundt was a decent blocker but a poor receiver. Higbee was a receiving TE and piss poor blocker. Don't forget Higbee is in a contract year and probably will be gone after the season. I think we are looking at his replacement in Long. Which is why I say Long saves the Rams a third round pick. That pick could be a LB or center.

So in essence the Rams are getting two third round players (Long was a 3rd round pick) for a disgruntled Ramsey. That is better than getting a single second round pick and no player. Hopkins was a 4th round pick in 2020 (a year earlier than Long) and has struggled as a blocking TE. If Long can be a blocking and receiving TE both the Rams have actually upgraded their TE position.

So best case scenario, the Rams unload a very expensive CB and receive a young (24 years old) TE and a 3rd round pick this year. Frankly I don't see the downside. That is especially true if Long is indeed an upgrade at TE.

The Rams are clearing cap space so Snead can go back to wheeling and dealing next year with first round picks to work with.

Yeah, I for one have no problem with this trade.

Hunter Long has one reception in two years as a pro, as a third round pick who should've gotten onto the field more, considering his draft status. He hasn't gotten onto the field. His scouting report said that while he was a willing blocker, he wasn't necessarily a good one. He's not especially athletic. He doesn't get a ton of yards after the catch. He doesn't have any aggressiveness in his game. So, hands of glue, sure, but rating him with Higbee - who has aggressiveness in his game, who could break tackles, who is a good blocker, who is fairly athletic - does a disservice to Higbee.

Honestly, I don't expect anything from Long because he's basically a less-athletic Hopkins and I would've asked for a higher pick or that third or, failing that, someone like cornerback Noah Igbinoghene, someone who actually has untapped potential. Long's not an upgrade over Hopkins right now, let alone Higbee; he's a number two tight end at best.

So yeah, I have all the problems with this trade. They literally dealt a HOFer in his prime for cap-relief that won't even come this year, a third round pick and what is probably our third best tight end on the roster - fourth if we draft a tight end highly.

I'm not a Snead basher, but I hate this trade.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Maybe it is just me but this was a perfect visual that had me laughing
  • Blocks with folded arms like a player from the old electric football game.

A Rodgers would be perfect for that
You can only hope to contain him...

Seriously though, I can see why he was a 3rd round pick. Led the nation in receptions by a TE...definitely good hands. Looks a lot like Higbee physically/athletically.

Just have to hope his blocking improved and that he was just simply buried behind Geisek on the depth chart on a team that only plays one TE.

View: https://youtu.be/PmIU1GD8ju4

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Hunter Long has one reception in two years as a pro, as a third round pick who should've gotten onto the field more, considering his draft status. He hasn't gotten onto the field. His scouting report said that while he was a willing blocker, he wasn't necessarily a good one. He's not especially athletic. He doesn't get a ton of yards after the catch. He doesn't have any aggressiveness in his game. So, hands of glue, sure, but rating him with Higbee - who has aggressiveness in his game, who could break tackles, who is a good blocker, who is fairly athletic - does a disservice to Higbee.

Honestly, I don't expect anything from Long because he's basically a less-athletic Hopkins and I would've asked for a higher pick or that third or, failing that, someone like cornerback Noah Igbinoghene, someone who actually has untapped potential. Long's not an upgrade over Hopkins right now, let alone Higbee; he's a number two tight end at best.

So yeah, I have all the problems with this trade. They literally dealt a HOFer in his prime for cap-relief that won't even come this year, a third round pick and what is probably our third best tight end on the roster - fourth if we draft a tight end highly.

I'm not a Snead basher, but I hate this trade.

Hard to say what measure of coaching Long has received over his two year span in the NFL (less if you subtract injury time), but I'll still count him as an asset even if he's only a TE3 next season. I also still want to trade Higbee & Van Jefferson, they are among the few who may yet provide us additional draft picks. Draft another TE high and one later, this is a class we should take advantage of.
I do agree though, I don't care for this Ramsey trade compensation. Can't believe Snead couldn't even get us another 6'th out of it, not that this would have appeased my disapproval.

oldnotdead

Legend
As I said, Long understands blocking concepts something neither Higbee or Hopkins seem to know or understand. Long is a willing blocker, something neither Hopkins or Higbee are. Blocking starts with a willingness to do it. The rest is coaching and practice.

Maybe Long didn't see the field because the Dolphins had 4 TEs on the roster and Long was the new kid on the block. It doesn't necessarily say anything about Long's ability. Long was number 3 TE and had been drafted in 2021. It looked like Long and their most recent draftee were being groomed to take over as #1 & 2.

We need to see what Long looks like here. Let's face it Higbee is not likely to be extended next year. Hopkins doesn't look like a #1 TE at this point and his blocking sucks. The Rams wanted Long specifically and IMO it's to become #1 TE in 2024.

I think most of us anticipated the Rams taking a TE either in the 3rd round or with their first pick in the 5th round. Long saves them a 3rd round pick and is a better prospect than a 5th round player would be. So the Rams essentially get 2 3rd round players in this trade. Both of whom they chose.

Like I've said in many posts, IMO this is all happening a year early and there has to be a reason for that.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
This is crazy that a lot of people stick around for the offseason fiascos. Too much. I hope we can compete next season. Hope we didn’t jettison too much firepower…Looking like a reboot.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As I said, Long understands blocking concepts something neither Higbee or Hopkins seem to know or understand. Long is a willing blocker, something neither Hopkins or Higbee are. Blocking starts with a willingness to do it. The rest is coaching and practice.

Maybe Long didn't see the field because the Dolphins had 4 TEs on the roster and Long was the new kid on the block. It doesn't necessarily say anything about Long's ability. Long was number 3 TE and had been drafted in 2021. It looked like Long and their most recent draftee were being groomed to take over as #1 & 2.

We need to see what Long looks like here. Let's face it Higbee is not likely to be extended next year. Hopkins doesn't look like a #1 TE at this point and his blocking sucks. The Rams wanted Long specifically and IMO it's to become #1 TE in 2024.

I think most of us anticipated the Rams taking a TE either in the 3rd round or with their first pick in the 5th round. Long saves them a 3rd round pick and is a better prospect than a 5th round player would be. So the Rams essentially get 2 3rd round players in this trade. Both of whom they chose.

Like I've said in many posts, IMO this is all happening a year early and there has to be a reason for that.

The bolded makes you so full of shit (not that your infatuation with wanting Havenstein - the only decent healthy linemen we had last year - gone doesn't say that as well). Higbee is actually a willing blocker - and a good blocker - at tight end. Did you read what the scouting report - the only thing we know about, given Long's inability to get on the field - said about Long? He's a willing blocker, sure, but he sucks at it, and obviously hasn't improved enough to see the field.

He's not an athletic tight end, nor is he a YAC threat. Hell, he's not aggressive at all when it comes to even corners using press against him or blocking edge rushers (something that was mentioned in said scouting report). He just has sticky hands, is an okay route runner, and has some willingness to block. Ultimately, I don't see him as more than a worse Hopkins.

Again, if I wanted a number three tight end behind Higbee and Hopkins and a third round pick, I wouldn't have traded Jalen fucking Ramsey for it.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Again, if I wanted a number three tight end behind Higbee and Hopkins and a third round pick, I wouldn't have traded Jalen fucking Ramsey for it.
They didn't trade Ramsey for that reason either. They traded Ramsey because he wouldn't restructure and it helped get them under the cap. They happened to get a 3rd round pick and a young TE in the process. This shit happens all the time in the NFL. We'll get over it.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I'm confused by all this angst........we draft rookies and hand them millions of dollars for having zero experience . We trade for a player who sat behind an established star and we start strutting scenarios in our head as to why.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just have to hope his blocking improved and that he was just simply buried behind Geisek on the depth chart on a team that only plays one TE.
Miami played a 2 TE set under Flores and Long couldnt sniff the field. McDaniel came in and brought a FB with him. Long was nowhere on the depth chart, couldnt even get ST snaps.
To make matters worse, Miami let Long walk even though they only have 1 TE currently under contract, Durham Smythe who is on the last year of his deal. They made no effort to re-sign Gesecki and showed him the door too.
The way it looks to me, Long was thrown in the deal to help offset some of Ramsey's salary, nothing more.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm confused by all this angst........we draft rookies and hand them millions of dollars for having zero experience . We trade for a player who sat behind an established star and we start strutting scenarios in our head as to why.
Established star? Gesecki? He wasnt even the starter last season and is now a free agent

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
They didn't trade Ramsey for that reason either. They traded Ramsey because he wouldn't restructure and it helped get them under the cap. They happened to get a 3rd round pick and a young TE in the process. This shit happens all the time in the NFL. We'll get over it.
True. The Eagles are about to let 7 starters walk in FA without getting a thing back for them outside of 24' conp picks. They are doing so because they are cap strapped due to $54M in dead money in 23'.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I hope so, but we won't know until the rest of the plan is unveiled. So far, not looking good for 2023, but there's time I guess.