Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Trading a future Hall of Fame player at a key position with lots of miles left for a 12 pack of cheap beer is seldom a good thing.
I hate it. If you overpay for Ramsey like we did you run the wheels off him until he is done.
Build for the long term now, through the draft.
Stop overpaying on 2nd contract players (worst value) and draft young ones that can retire as a Ram.
I stopped watching the Dodgers because of stuff like this.
And save it with that "its worth it to get a ring" garbage.
Sell outs in all forms of life suck.
I wonder what AD thinks of this ? What he can not say publicly.

oldnotdead

Legend
Momento, no need to get personal we all have our viewpoints. I will tell you what. Go back and look at the Raider game last season. Watch the entire game and then say with a straight face how good Havenstein is and how I'm wrong about his struggles against speed and power. He was the worst of the OL that day. He also struggled against Carlos Dunlap when he was in Seattle. Go back and watch how Dunlap owned Rob.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Speaking of which... does anyone know anything about Long? Seems like a big target (6'5", 250+ lbs) with some athleticism. Does he have the potential to start and maybe replace Higbee?
I would guess that someone on the Rams staff liked him in the draft when he came out. Guys who disappoint that happens. It's probably why we added Corbs for example, even though Cleveland thought he was shit. That draft evaluation sort of lives in the GMs minds IMO, that and the draft status. Going round three is no small thing.

The fact he couldn't crack that lineup means he's probably not gonna move the needle. But then again our depth is the same way. So who knows but I will say the Dolphins have been dysfunctional with their TEs, trying to make Gesicki work and he's not really a TE but doesn't really win in the pattern despite all his gifts.

If the Rams draft a TE then we'll have the pick plus Higs plus Long which would equal a completely different TE room. Might be by design.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Many people here not realizing that Ramsey FORCED this trade due to his new increased salary demands.

Ramsey got over 25M in GUARANTEED money from Dolphins as a result of this trade.

And THAT is why Rams could only get a 3rd round pick in return.

Snead got the best offer he could, given Ramsey's insistence on increasing the guaranteed $.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't buy that article. He makes some good points but the Rams aren't going to move Ramsey where he wants to go so he can make $25M. He made $25M because the team wanted to move him and the Dolphins were the top bidder.

This idea the Rams would move him where he wants to go and overlook more value from another team is ridiculous. Ramsey is not behind this, outside of the fact that due to age/decline and that huge contract the Rams felt they had to make that move.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
UotJyNS.gif

To be honest Maximus, that would be no...

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
This idea the Rams would move him where he wants to go and overlook more value from another team is ridiculous.
Huh? Not following your reasoning on this.

My take from the article was that OF COURSE Rams are looking to get max value from the highest bidder. But Ramsey's salary demands were lowering the number of potential suitors, and decreasing the Rams' leverage.

Snead of course did not "overlook more value from another team."

EDIT: A line from Jourdan Rodrigue's article about the trade:

It lacked guaranteed money on the back end, which Ramsey and the Rams have mutually understood for weeks would have to come from somewhere else, and the Dolphins were willing and able to add it.

To me, I interpret that as, Jalen said, "I want the back end $ guaranteed" and the Rams said, "I'm sorry but we're not gonna do that." So then Ramsey and the Rams "mutually" agreed that a trade was necessary because Rams were unwilling to increase the guaranteed $.

Last edited:

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Huh? Not following your reasoning on this.

My take from the article was that OF COURSE Rams are looking to get max value from the highest bidder. But Ramsey's salary demands were lowering the number of potential suitors, and decreasing the Rams' leverage.

Snead of course did not "overlook more value from another team."

Thank you! Isn't that the same reason we gave the Lions Goff (#1 overall pick) for Stafford (#1 overall pick) plus two first rounders even though Goff was much younger? It was the salary issues that dictated the compensation I believe.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
When it’s all said and done, I STILL want the Rams to draft a TE (Higbee’s eventual replacement) this year. This draft is loaded with them and Long should not dissuade the Rams from snagging one.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Many people here not realizing that Ramsey FORCED this trade due to his new increased salary demands.

Ramsey got over 25M in GUARANTEED money from Dolphins as a result of this trade.

And THAT is why Rams could only get a 3rd round pick in return.

Snead got the best offer he could, given Ramsey's insistence on increasing the guaranteed $.

Shhhhh it's ok :) We don't deal in reality right now :D We also know that the Lions wanted him to but Ramsey asked not to go there. The Rams have done this kind of trade before with Woods it really shouldn't surprise anybody that they did it again for Ramsey.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Shhhhh it's ok :) We don't deal in reality right now :D We also know that the Lions wanted him to but Ramsey asked not to go there. The Rams have done this kind of trade before with Woods it really shouldn't surprise anybody that they did it again for Ramsey.
It is the reality of the business and for the most part, it appears because of the dollar & cents, it was the best the Rams could do, even though it lacked common sense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Good to see a solid number of reasonable responses on here and not just the outrage.

Unless you have Mahomes as your QB... I think this is part of the game to get back to the Super Bowl in the NFL now.. it's just that some teams may have greater variance with it. As someone pointed out.. look at the Eagles and how many FA's they're set to lose because of the cap. They also have AJ Brown's deal structured VERY favorably the first two years.. it's much pricier in 24.

You build a championship roster by getting ahead of the cap with the cash-heavy deals.. but even that catches up. Rams were hoping that this past year they could keep it going and maybe add a star pass rusher mid-season.. we know how it turned out.

On to the next version of the McVay-Snead-Kroenke Rams.. I'm still enjoying the ride.

Wish they got more in the trade.. but the various factors here played out the way they played out.
Yes, they took less than what they could've maxed-out on him.. but they weren't getting a first rounder.. and keeping him out of the NFC worked for me.

For people outraged.. the Rams weren't going to guarantee his $$.. you see the player differently at this point than they do. And.. and unhappy Ramsey is not a Ramsey you want around. We all know this.

The Rams have a bunch of picks.. I hope they play around with the 2nd and some of the 5ths and 6ths and can end up with 4 picks in the top 100... that'd be good in this draft and, if they have a 2017 draft, sets the stage, moving forward.

Go Rams.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Would Jalen want to play on this newly revised 2023 Ram team? Appears to me the Rams decided it would be best for them & Jalen that a trade is made.

Jalen might have had many Rapp slapping events playing with young DB's like Lake, Kendrick, Rochell, Durant & Yeast.

It also appears that ROD & Jalen Ramsey held a different opinion of Jalen's talent than the rest of the NFL does. The NFL would not barter for anything higher/more than a 3rd rd selection says soooo much.

Myself, I believe going forward that Jalen's career will rise higher playing in the Phins defense than the Rams D. Jalen must be elated about this.
Maybe, he likes living in Florida as well.

He's rich and he's won a Super Bowl.
It's very possible, that he just wants to play out his last contract where he's happy.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe, he likes living in Florida as well.

He's rich and he's won a Super Bowl.
It's very possible, that he just wants to play out his last contract where he's happy.
Ramsey apologist!

PARAM

Hall of Fame
True. The Eagles are about to let 7 starters walk in FA without getting a thing back for them outside of 24' conp picks. They are doing so because they are cap strapped due to $54M in dead money in 23'.
But they won the Superbowl didn't they? Shit!!! No they didn't!¡!
I hope so, but we won't know until the rest of the plan is unveiled. So far, not looking good for 2023, but there's time I guess.
Not looking good for what? A winning season? A playoff berth? A SB appearance? A Lombardi?

I see a lot of fans saying 2023 is going to be a shit year. Because we lost a 33 yr old declining ILB, 31 yr old OLB who had 9 sacks (11 games without a sack), a 29 yr old CB (in decline) and 7 guys who never saw the field?

Or is this a common case of over valuation? Right now we still have Stafford & Kupp on offense and the 3 time DPOY on defense. Plus, many young players around them. Free agency has yet to play out and we have 11 picks in the 2023 draft. But we're toast? Done? Non competetive?

Hell, I guess I should just watch the NHL and NBA this fall!!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But they won the Superbowl didn't they? Shit!!! No they didn't!¡!

Not looking good for what? A winning season? A playoff berth? A SB appearance? A Lombardi?

I see a lot of fans saying 2023 is going to be a shit year. Because we lost a 33 yr old declining ILB, 31 yr old OLB who had 9 sacks (11 games without a sack), a 29 yr old CB (in decline) and 7 guys who never saw the field?

Or is this a common case of over valuation? Right now we still have Stafford & Kupp on offense and the 3 time DPOY on defense. Plus, many young players around them. Free agency has yet to play out and we have 11 picks in the 2023 draft. But we're toast? Done? Non competetive?

Hell, I guess I should just watch the NHL and NBA this fall!!!
The Kings will maybe good this year?

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
As always, plenty to agree with, but the notion that Ramsey is in decline is a little bizarre. If decline means making the pro-bowl rather than being named all-pro then he declined last season :)

Considering how the offense played; the lack of pass rush and injuries in the secondary, that might just have been his best season...

Miami have pulled off one of the best trades in living memory simply because we need the cap space. Nothing else to see here. I think we can overcome Ramsey leaving even if it involves a drop off at CB but don’t tell me we are lucky to have traded him when we did!