Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams had a star CB who was asking for a huge cap investment. This trade was about two reasons IMO. Lockerroom peace and next year's cap. When I look at the moves Snead is making it's all about setting up next year. Look at Snead's history, he's always looking a year ahead. This all is about resetting the Ram cap outlook for next year.

AD is set to retire next year leaving them with $19.5M in dead cap. As a contingency, if they have to unload Stafford due to medical retirement that will be another $36M. But with Wagner, Floyd, and Ramsey gone it really clears the roster of their mega contracts.

Case in point. Let's say Snead signs Ngakoue they can backload the contract because they will have the room starting next year and beyond. I don't like the trade, but I definitely understand why it was made. It's part of the culture here in LA that attracts talent. They know the FO isn't going to fuck them over. Wagner wanted out because he wanted to be on a team that had a better chance at another ring. The Rams bent over backward when they moved Bobby Trees. These things aren't unnoticed. Leonard Floyd asked for permission to look for a trade. It didn't happen but the Rams gave him that permission.

This isn't a rebuild, this is a cap reset year. This team has enough core talent to be competitive. It all comes down to health and how well Snead drafts this year. He's got to hit on their first three picks with players who can contribute immediately. Edge, Center, LB, but most of all QB2 if they can't keep Mayfield. IMO Mayfield, Gaines, and Scott are their three biggest priority FAs. Get them signed and the roster is reset with its core players.

Floyd will be replaced in the draft. If Howard can stay healthy he is actually becoming a decent ILB. That isn't to say they won't be drafting an ILB because IMO they will. With Shelton gone they lost their option to Allen if he goes down again. So I see one of those 3rd round picks being used on a center. I think they could use one of the comp 5th round picks on a PK or they can sign Gould or Pineiro. Pineiro is a decent PK with decent accuracy and was 2-2 over 50 yds with a long of 54 yds. They can probably sign him between $1-$2M. He's a proven kicker that they can sign cheap.

No reason to panic. The way Morris plays his secondary he wasted Ramsey's talent. If Ramsey would fucking play Rochell there wouldn't be this mess because then Rochell would be further along in his development. Rochell was drafted specifically for this moment.

If the Rams can't sign Mayfield I think they will be looking for a prototypical QB2 later in the draft. With all the extra 5th round picks I wouldn't be surprised to see them take Clayton Tune. He had a good showing at the Senior Bowl and the Rams really scout that game. The only thing he lacks is a strong arm for the very deep throws. Tune shows good accuracy and arm strength out to 20-25 yds which IMO covers 95% of NFL passes. But again accuracy is far more important as arm strength can be improved with proper training. Tune has three traits that McVay likes. He's a pure pocket passer and he goes through his progressions quickly, finally, he's got good accuracy. Tune's issues are coachable things and he's viewed as a one to two year project but likely able to contribute early in a backup role.

With a good draft with their first 3 picks being able to contribute quickly this team will be reset to be a playoff contender again. It would all depend upon team health and luck of the draw in the playoffs. If things fall right this team can get to another SB. I know I'm in the minority but again I was high on 2021 roster when many weren't this time of year back then.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This obviously isn't a trade to help the team now, it's all about 2024. We'll have all our draft picks and the money available to field a competitive team again. Sure this makes the Dolphins better this year, but it doesn't guarantee them a championship or that Ramsey doesn't fall completely off the cliff the following year. He already helped us get to the promised land, it's time to move on and build for the future.
The Dolphins really need to do what the Rams did last yr. They need to trade for a very good vet QB that is stuck in a bad situation. Not sure aby are available. I guess Jackson, but injury concerns are there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One thing I hate about this team is I have no idea wtf is up with Fuller. Maybe it's me and I haven't been paying attention. That's possible because I have avoided the big sites through last season so might have missed out on the info.

But if he can be expected to return that's a boost. Then you add one good safety next to him in FA, which might be affordable, and all of a sudden a good CB draft pick changes how we look. That is best case but at this point it's pretty clear we require a big time draft to get back in things.
Ref. Jordan Fuller...

Believe it or not Fuller is #9 from the top of the salary cap costs. His cap cost this season is $2.8 million. In the final year of his 4 yr contract. DC Morris really likes JF. I would guess Morris will have JF play the leadership role in his secondary this season.

Morris prefers to play JF most of the time deeper than he should. IMO JF doesn't have the range to play single-high. His time coming out of college before his rash of injuries ...40 times between 4.67 to 4.7 seconds.

In his rookie season, JF won the starting SS post & started 6 gms until he was injured & was never fully healthy for the rest of the season.

In 2021 he started all 16 gms @ FS until the injured in the 9ers gm #16 & missed the playoff run & SB due to injuries.

In 2022 JF started 1 gm was injured again & never started another gm was available for 2 other gms though.

Three straight seasons being placed on the injured reserve, and missing major portions of those 3 seasons is why I would prefer not to plan to have JF in 2023 be the leader or to start.....he is a liability on the field even if he was healthy. You will not hear his name called during the game...he just disappears.

Last edited:

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter

Rams trade CB Jalen Ramsey to Dolphins​

Los Angeles Rams get: No. 77 pick, TE Hunter Long
Miami Dolphins get: CB Jalen Ramsey

Rams' grade: B
Dolphins' grade: A-

The Dolphins just signaled they're going for it in 2023. As they should. Their 2022 season ended poorly -- with an exit in the wild-card round -- but in the process they revealed tremendous upside.

When quarterback Tua Tagovailoa was on the field, Miami recorded 0.13 expected points added (EPA) per play -- more than the Bills with Josh Allen (0.12) or the Bengals with Joe Burrow (0.08). The Dolphins' defense was middling, however, despite serious players on that side of the ball, including corner Xavien Howard, edge rusher Jaelan Phillips, safety Jevon Holland and (after the trade deadline) pass-rusher Bradley Chubb.

All of that shows this is a team with Super Bowl potential. Tagovailoa's health remains a question mark for the future, but this move shows they're trying to maximize his value on a rookie contract. It's best to build strength in the roster now and assume he'll be able to play a full season. Hence, a superstar addition to a defense now coached by Vic Fangio.

The Dolphins are getting good value for Ramsey because he is coming off a tough season. He allowed 1.5 yards per coverage snap, per NFL Next Gen Stats, worse than the league average for corners (1.2). Despite intercepting four passes, he allowed plus-7 EPA overall when he was the nearest defender in coverage.

The 28-year-old Jalen Ramsey has made six Pro Bowl teams and is a three-time All-Pro. AP Photo/Abbie Parr
Corners are notoriously variant from year to year, and Ramsey's long track record of greatness and relative youth (he's 28) makes me believe he and Howard have an excellent opportunity to rebound, particularly playing with each other. This could be the best corner pairing in the league next season. And with Fangio at the helm, this defense has tremendous upside.

Yes, Miami is giving up a pick to pay a player, which is never ideal, but it's only a third-rounder and it is getting Ramsey at below market value.

For the Rams, this is a cost-saving measure. Is it a sign of more cuts to come? It should be. They should recognize this might be their last opportunity to cash in big on a teardown. If they really want to turn things around, their next moves should be cutting quarterback Matthew Stafford and trading receiver Cooper Kupp and defensive tackle Aaron Donald, as painful as that sounds.

Stafford's minuscule $1.5 million salary is already guaranteed, but if the Rams don't cut him, they'll be committing an additional $57 million guaranteed for future seasons. As for Kupp and Donald, trading them would mean not paying them their big salaries, but the real payoff would be the draft capital in return. If they don't make these moves, they'll simply be a weaker, older version of their 2022 team, which went 5-12.

The Rams' grade here gives the benefit of the doubt that more rebuilding moves will follow. -- Walder

What this means for the 2023 draft: With the release of cornerback Byron Jones and the limited growth of Noah Igbinoghene, the Dolphins needed to add a starter this offseason. Trading for Ramsey crosses off their biggest need and allows them to focus on running back as the next priority. Miami doesn't own a first-round selection but picks at No. 51 overall.

For the Rams, cornerback now becomes a huge need for 2023. The Rams' first pick comes in Round 2, at No. 36 overall, and it could target corners such as Kelee Ringo (Georgia) and Julius Brents (Kansas State) there. L.A. also now has two third-round picks. -- Miller

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
You missed the part about teams being scared off by his contract demands, which obviously affected their offers.
A substantial contract already and Ramsay apparently wanted it reworked or extended. For a 29 year old who can still play but is coming off an uninspiring year and apparently not elite as he was. Just assuming the contract is a big deal let alone extensions giving up high picks etc.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Still think we could have gotten a much better deal but what's done is done. Time to turn the page and then turn it back from time to time to bitch about the trade when we don't do well :laugh2:..... hoping we make some good moves after this one, that's all we can do
And let's be realistic. Ramsey is not the "good soldier" who, wherever he gets traded, he would be happy to go do his best.

Had they tried to trade him where he did not want to be, say Detroit, he would let it be known and and the Rams and the rest of the league knew that.

So his personality certainly hurt his trade value in that teams know if he isn't happy, then nobody is happy.

So that forced the Rams hand and affects his trade value. The Dolphins knew they had us over a barrel so to speak.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Well we got our new TE so now we can draft some receivers.
~ McVay
Speaking of which... does anyone know anything about Long? Seems like a big target (6'5", 250+ lbs) with some athleticism. Does he have the potential to start and maybe replace Higbee?

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
And let's be realistic. Ramsey is not the "good soldier" who, wherever he gets traded, he would be happy to go do his best.

Had they tried to trade him where he did not want to be, say Detroit, he would let it be known and and the Rams and the rest of the league knew that.

So his personality certainly hurt his trade value in that teams know if he isn't happy, then nobody is happy.

So that forced the Rams hand and affects his trade value. The Dolphins knew they had us over a barrel so to speak.
If the Rams didn't see that coming, they should have tried to trade his ass long ago if that truly impacted the trade which I can't see happening. Still think we could have gotten more. Lions got a 3rd and 5th for Slay who also wanted a new contract for comparisons sake. Ramsey is a much better player than Slay in my eyes.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Speaking of which... does anyone know anything about Long? Seems like a big target (6'5", 250+ lbs) with some athleticism. Does he have the potential to start and maybe replace Higbee?
We essentially got a guy that caught 1 career pass. Talk about Miami being like here's some lint we pinched off of our nuts too :laugh1:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Last edited:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion

Rams trade CB Jalen Ramsey to Dolphins​

Los Angeles Rams get: No. 77 pick, TE Hunter Long
Miami Dolphins get: CB Jalen Ramsey

Rams' grade: B
Dolphins' grade: A-

For the Rams, cornerback now becomes a huge need for 2023. The Rams' first pick comes in Round 2, at No. 36 overall, and it could target corners such as Kelee Ringo (Georgia) and Julius Brents (Kansas State) there. L.A. also now has two third-round picks. -- Miller
Lol, kind of absurd to suggest that the Rams might take Brents at 36. For 1, he's a safety (or played one), not a CB (if he's a corner, he's slow). For 2, isn't he a late round pick? I know we got fleeced by the Dolphins today, but I'd sure home Snead isn't that dumb.

FYI - of our 2 recorded visits so far, one is Brents, two is WR, Tank Dell. Please do not do that Rams.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
What is really funny is the overall completion percentage by our secondary. So terrible. No matter who we played it was pitch 'n catch.

Then the one guy who can fucking play back there (aside from Ramsey) it took them a long time to install because they wanted to work their way through the shitters they missed on prior. Durant is going to be great for us, kid led the team in INTs in limited looks which is ridiculous. I think he's a gem. Time to build around him.

They need to hit on at least one corner in this draft. Two is what we need, but if they can hit on one minimum and improve the safeties then we might have a defense that can make QBs hold the ball a beat longer.

Yeah depending what they do this month I'm expecting corner, RB, and WR.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Not a first, not a second, but a fuckin THIRD?! Who the hell is Hunter Long!?!?

WHAT A SHIT SHOW OF A TRADE
You're new TE2.

Celebrating Episode 18 GIF by The Simpsons

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
It's getting pretty hard to get excited about the upcoming season but lets see how the team shapes up and performs this season before jumping off the roof.

The first thing this team needs is available quality OL muscle and the other first thing it needs is more pass rushing firepower.

Also, we won a whole 5 games with Ramsey. I feel confident we can equal, or perhaps surpass that feat without him.

McVay must feel the same way.
There will be plenty of time to jump off the roof later. Or not.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Article seems to think he can block ok including inline: "His most unique trait is probably that he was used more like an NFL tight end in BC’s pro-style offenses, which asked him to block as an in-line tight end, a rarity in college football today."

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
The PFF Mock tool now shows the pick swap. So I tried to trade Ramsey for Long before starting another mock.

AI wouldn't do it.

Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The PFF Mock tool now shows the pick swap. So I tried to trade Ramsey for Long before starting another mock.

AI wouldn't do it.

Fran Healy Reaction GIF by Travis

All of these corporate mock games are nonsense.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Well, I for one ( and among many) are upset Ramsey was traded.....for a third round pick. But I also remember 2022 like it was 3 months ago. I remember many fans saying how Ramsey wasn't the player he used to be. How often he was either burnt or not a factor. I remember fans being pissed off because Floyd (and our D) wasn't getting any pressure. Sure he could set the edge but we needed pressure! I don't remember too many negatives flowing Wagners way but I do remember our run D got worse in 2022 both in yards per game and yards per carry. And though I was surprised he was still a good player, I didn't see a huge impact. But of course Morris sucks! Wagner will be older in 2023. So maybe the Rams got this right? Maybe the fans were just wrong?