Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I just don’t see it. The team is trying to win now with AD, Stafford and McVay. Jalen is a big part of that.

Now factor in the fact that a post June 1st trade really is the only cap beneficial option for the Rams and even more the answer is no. The rams would want draft picks now not future ones.

Maybe he can have his deal restructured before the draft in order to facilitate a (cap beneficial) trade by the Rams - I have no idea if that’s even possible. Seems unlikely.

Now next season….I definitely can see a trade happening if the Rams don’t win big in 2023.
The thing is the cap is not just about this yr, but also next yr. I just looked and they are tight up against the cap for 2024. Normally teams are well under the cap that's over a yr away.

Trading Ramsey before June 1st saves his entire 2024' cap number. That is a big deal when you look at their 24' cap situation. They can save elsewhere for 23'. Might be that's where you designate Floyd as a post June cut to save $15.5M.

Not saying I endorse all that, but I can see the logic if they want to get the cap fixed longer term and add a few draft picks. And that could be part of a plan to get extra picks in order to position themselves for a young QB in next yrs draft.

The other option would be to extend him to at least lower his cap number over the next 2 yrs.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I don't really think McVay wants to move him. I am simply saying now is the time to move him. Will the Rams see what I see? Probably not. But if I'm right this time next year we'll be sitting on a high paid corner who is done in this league and trying to figure out what to do with him.

Hope I am wrong as always with this kind of take. I do like Ramsey. I just think his window as a top corner is closed.
I gotta disagree. Ramsey is still a top corner in the NFL and will continue to be next year. Rams would be dumb to consider getting rid of him considering how young and inexperienced our secondary is.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I gotta disagree. Ramsey is still a top corner in the NFL and will continue to be next year. Rams would be dumb to consider getting rid of him considering how young and inexperienced our secondary is.
Look at it this way. Did the Chiefs have a Ramsey type CB? Yet they went 14-3 and won the SB.

Again, I am not endorsing such a move just yet, but I get the logic. Healing your cap issues long term, and then adding high picks to draft cheap impact players or trading for young vet players to power up your offense.

I say offense because offense wins nowadays. And if you go defense then add a dynamic young pass rusher since that is the most important position on defense nowadays. Then again they could utilize picks to get a future franchise QB in next yrs draft.

Last edited:

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Look at it this way. Did the Chiefs have a Ramsey type CB? Yet they went 14-3 and won the SB.

Again, I am not endorsing such a move just yet, but I get the logic. Healing your cap issues long term, and then adding high picks to draft cheap impact players or trading for young vet players to power up your offense.

I say offense because offense wins nowadays. And if you go defense then add a dynamic young pass rusher since that is the most important position on degense nowadays. Then again they could utilize picks to get a future franchise QB in next yrs draft.
The Rams are more likely to kick the can down the road on some contracts and go all in for another run. I doubt Ramsey being traded is part of the plan as it would greatly diminish our secondary. Makes no sense to trade him if we really want to compete for a championship. There are other options to give us more cap space that will be utilized. Can't compare us to the Chiefs either because as much as I love Stafford, he ain't no Mahomes.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love Ramsey. But he has declined. And his decline is potentially going to accelerate as it often does with corners, given the importance of speed. The translation for us is that he is not going to be worth what we pay him.

This is the window to move him. Rams can still get something for him right now. This time next year all we'll get is cap hits.

There is potential to move him to safety, but that comes with a contract hit for him that he would probably not accept. Only other option is to play him via scheme to allow him protections with safety coverage but that also means a contract hit.

It is always sad to see a great player decline but we are there with Jalen and the team has to decide if they're going to be ruthless as they have consistently been under McVay with guys who do not play up to their contracts. Or if they're going to be sentimental and allow it to hurt the quality of the team we field.
First you wanted to dump Donald and now Ramsey? You a cold bastid…

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The Rams are more likely to kick the can down the road on some contracts and go all in for another run. I doubt Ramsey being traded is part of the plan as it would greatly diminish our secondary. Makes no sense to trade him if we really want to compete for a championship. There are other options to give us more cap space that will be utilized. Can't compare us to the Chiefs either because as much as I love Stafford, he ain't no Mahomes.
True, Mahomes is a different animal, but the one positive for such a move regarding Ramsey is that it would show that McVay is in it for the long haul.

They went all in to get Stafford, Donald, Ramsey, & McVay/Snead their rings. They now have them. Now might be the time to solidify the future a hit, clean up the balance sheet, add draft capital, and reset the path or goal from an all in 2023 SB or bust run and then followed by a likely crash in 24' & 25'.

To a nice bounce back goal of the playoffs in 23' and then future SB runs in 24', 25' and 26' or beyond if they can land a young top level QB.

Of the two, I would prefer the latter.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I say offense because offense wins nowadays. And if you go defense then add a dynamic young pass rusher since that is the most important position on defense nowadays. Then again they could utilize picks to get a future franchise QB in next yrs draft.
With Quarters coverage pass rusher will not get to the QB fast enough to make a big difference. Aaron Donald can’t even do that as much as he could in another defense. So a competent edge that can rush but more importantly set the edge to contain the run and the running QBs would be enough.

This defense is very good. They were a big factor in the Super Bowl win. Minus the Higgins facemask TD the Bengals only had 75 yards in the second half.

One thing that you can count on is injuries. I don’t think it’s wise to weaken the defense to bolster the offense. Just get some fresh Olinemen and an edge and keep rolling. McVay doesn’t seem to be staying long term.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Say the Lions call us up today and offer 6 (our pick) and 18 for him. This would help them out greatly IMO. They need a guy like Ramsey. On our end, we get a huge cap cut in '24 and with the picks, we can grab Devon Witherspoon (best CB in draft and a lock down) and something like DE Van Ness or another EDGE or OL.

I'm not saying I want Ramsey gone, I love him. I'm also not saying Lions would offer that, but, IF they did, what do you say to it? Personally, I take that offer and move forward with a couple young pieces and a large amount of cap to use in '24. To me, this keeps us in title contention still, as we can now afford some useful FA vets to maybe solidify our line.

I'd say its likely that the Rams are at least considering trading him. Where there is smoke, their is often fire.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
If Detroit offered 6 & 18, you’d HAVE to take that offer even if you wanted to keep Jalen. They won’t, so it’s a moot point.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ramsey fan here! :startstruck:
usa_today_19655938.0.jpg

I still maintain that if Jalen Ramsey was placed in a position where he was able to use his great skills to make plays all over then his super-sized contract would pay dividends.

If DC Morris is once again planning to make Jalen Ramsey "just another back 8 secondary components" :not:in his prevent play-it-safe defense style:yawn: then Rams better plan on trading #5 for the most draft selections possible!

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Say the Lions call us up today and offer 6 (our pick) and 18 for him
Aint happening. That's more than what the Rams traded to get him.
Probably would be more like a couple 2nd-4th round picks, which NFW do your trade him

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Jalen Ramsey appears to have undergone shoulder surgery

After the Rams’ season ended, Jalen Ramsey told reporters that he planned to have surgery to repair his injured shoulder at some point this offseason, whenever the time was right. It seems the time was this week.

On Tuesday, Ramsey posted a photo of himself on Instagram that showed his arm in a sling, suggesting he already underwent the procedure on his shoulder. It was the same surgery he had last offseason, repairing his AC joint injury suffered in both shoulders during the 2021 campaign.

Ramsey opted to have the procedure in June last year and he was still a participant in training camp a month later, so the timing of this surgery is even better. He should be ready by camp and could even participate in OTAs this spring.

IMG_9086.jpg

Flint

Pro Bowler
I was told he sucks on here and is washed up. This can't be true?
I don’t know if it was his best year in coverage but it would be a big loss for the run defense if he left and he’s still the best corner we have.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Aint happening. That's more than what the Rams traded to get him.
Probably would be more like a couple 2nd-4th round picks, which NFW do your trade him
You could get a late 1st from a contender and a 3rd and maybe a late pick. This spread over two drafts.

Might get more if you defer the 1st until next yr.

Or maybe a 1 & 5 this yr and a 2 next yr