Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Brad knows better. Roseman is sharp too. Neither of those guys are gonna buy on a corner who is in decline. But I am hopeful there is a GM out there who wants to act like the Rams. But badly.

54412dd4ecad04b82f7e5c8b

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I love Ramsey. But he has declined. And his decline is potentially going to accelerate as it often does with corners, given the importance of speed. The translation for us is that he is not going to be worth what we pay him.

This is the window to move him. Rams can still get something for him right now. This time next year all we'll get is cap hits.

There is potential to move him to safety, but that comes with a contract hit for him that he would probably not accept. Only other option is to play him via scheme to allow him protections with safety coverage but that also means a contract hit.

It is always sad to see a great player decline but we are there with Jalen and the team has to decide if they're going to be ruthless as they have consistently been under McVay with guys who do not play up to their contracts. Or if they're going to be sentimental and allow it to hurt the quality of the team we field.

If they trade Ramsey the biggest need/value that they’d should get in return instantly becomes a good corner. The hole that he would leave would be big enough to drive a bus through. I don’t think a team would trade a good young corner for a good old corner with a big contract. If they traded Ramsey it will create more problems and be the start of a rebuild. Kiss a Super Bowl run goodbye. The rest of the secondary isn’t good enough as a group. There are no highly rated safeties or corners to even produce half of Jalen’s production.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
If they trade Ramsey the biggest need/value that they’d should get in return instantly becomes a good corner. The hole that he would leave would be big enough to drive a bus through. I don’t think a team would trade a good young corner for a good old corner with a big contract. If they traded Ramsey it will create more problems and be the start of a rebuild. Kiss a Super Bowl run goodbye. The rest of the secondary isn’t good enough as a group. There are no highly rated safeties or corners to even produce half of Jalen’s production.

The Rams may have to deal him or get a restructured contract to keep him. Stafford, AD and Ramsey have huge 100+ million dollar contracts and something has to give.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If his game nosedives this season it might be worse. Because we will have a pouty star we owe money to and a shit defense leading us to another underwhelming season.

Rams distanced themselves from the pack by seeing the excessive value teams were putting on draft picks. Seeing that road ahead is how you find the edge on these other fucks like Ratboy. Here's hoping the Rams are looking that direction without assumptions.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If his game nosedives this season it might be worse. Because we will have a pouty star we owe money to and a shit defense leading us to another underwhelming season.

Rams distanced themselves from the pack by seeing the excessive value teams were putting on draft picks. Seeing that road ahead is how you find the edge on these other fucks like Ratboy. Here's hoping the Rams are looking that direction without assumptions.
That’s where we differ in opinion. I don’t think he’s really declined enough for McVay to want to move him,

If this was any other team with a coach that is not considering retirement at the end of every season, and is in it for the long haul, then I’d agree with you. Trade some aging stars to restock the roster with young talent. However, it really feels like McVay is trying yo win another SuperBowl, as long as his stars are in place. Stafford, AD, Kupp and Ramsey are the keys for success in the short term.

Unfortunately this means when McVay hangs it up he’s going to leave the next coach with a sorely depleted roster that is in Cap hell alike the Saints. A long term plan would be to slowly start a rebuild at certain positions, starting with Ramsey. But the Rams are in the short game.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Brad knows better. Roseman is sharp too. Neither of those guys are gonna buy on a corner who is in decline. But I am hopeful there is a GM out there who wants to act like the Rams. But badly.

54412dd4ecad04b82f7e5c8b

Did you have to choose such a big picture. Dude needs a dentist pronto.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s where we differ in opinion. I don’t think he’s really declined enough for McVay to want to move him,
I don't really think McVay wants to move him. I am simply saying now is the time to move him. Will the Rams see what I see? Probably not. But if I'm right this time next year we'll be sitting on a high paid corner who is done in this league and trying to figure out what to do with him.

Hope I am wrong as always with this kind of take. I do like Ramsey. I just think his window as a top corner is closed.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't really think McVay wants to move him. I am simply saying now is the time to move him. Will the Rams see what I see? Probably not. But if I'm right this time next year we'll be sitting on a high paid corner who is done in this league and trying to figure out what to do with him.

Hope I am wrong as always with this kind of take. I do like Ramsey. I just think his window as a top corner is closed.
I agree that’s the case if McVay is planning on giving another ten years to coach the Rams.

You were right about Woods. I think in part that was because he didn’t fit Stafford’s preferences nor McVay’s for his desire to air the ball out more. But, maybe it was purely a fiscal/age based decision.

jap

Legend
 I would not mind seeing Jalen begin the transition to free safety, with occasional soot duty at edge|slot corner. That way he can continue to mentor all our young DBs. Some consideration for restructuring his contract wud be necessary, of course.

TexasRam

Legend
I would only trade Ramsey after and if we were able to bring on a young proven shutdown corner. And I don’t mean a draft pick.

We are not competing for a Super Bowl without a shutdown corner.

Ramsey might not be an every down shut down corner anymore, but he still can be most snaps and especially when the game is on the line. Not to mention what he brings to a defense as a tackler.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm for tabling this conversation over a Ramsey trade until next year. Let's draft a couple CB's/Safeties this year and develop them before unloading an asset like Ramsey. He's only 28 years old and the CAP savings next year will be far more substantial, I certainly don't expect his play to go off a cliff this next season.
jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
 I would not mind seeing Jalen begin the transition to free safety, with occasional soot duty at edge|slot corner. That way he can continue to mentor all our young DBs. Some consideration for restructuring his contract wud be necessary, of course.
In full agreement lets Jalen is forced to back up his mouth. He enjoys that tremendously.

FS/deep safety would keep Jalen in attack mode & ball hawking mode.

DC Morris calling for his secondary to play passively is not how to use Jalen's talents to the max. When you are paying him so much $$$$.......????

When you have a super prized Bull & then let the vet(Morris) castrate him into Steer......I have very little understanding.

If Morris continues to run out of the same defense in 2023 might as well trade the Bulls of the defense Ramsey/ Floyd/ Donald & replace them with low-cost steers.

I would keep Jalen & take the hit @ OLB'er with Floyd first to get under the salary cap.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would only trade Ramsey after and if we were able to bring on a young proven shutdown corner. And I don’t mean a draft pick.

We are not competing for a Super Bowl without a shutdown corner.

Ramsey might not be an every down shut down corner anymore, but he still can be most snaps and especially when the game is on the line. Not to mention what he brings to a defense as a tackler.
Think The Rams are already screwed with Durant.I’m not a fan. I like Kendrick’s better with his upside.
Everyone has there say,JMO that his size & lack of tackling skills are very poor.
Kendrick is really young which I think gets overlooked in the future. He is that player in 3 years (2) Ram Fans will say wow he really improved.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Think The Rams are already screwed with Durant.I’m not a fan. I like Kendrick’s better with his upside.
Everyone has there say,JMO that his size & lack of tackling skills are very poor.
Kendrick is really young which I think gets overlooked in the future. He is that player in 3 years (2) Ram Fans will say wow he really improved.

If Powell is lost to free agency, I'm wondering if Kendricks might replace him as our K/P Returner. Before moving on to Georgia, Kendricks handled K/P returns for Clemson.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm for tabling this conversation over a Ramsey trade until next year. Let's draft a couple CB's/Safeties this year and develop them before unloading an asset like Ramsey. He's only 28 years old and the CAP savings next year will be far more substantial, I certainly don't expect his play to go off a cliff this next season.
jmo.
:thumbsup1:

The secondary will take a big hit here in March with 4 of the 5 starters being FA's (Rapp/ Scott/ Long/ Hill),

I think replacing the entire 2022 starting secondary is too much to ask Snead to accomplish.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
:thumbsup1:

The secondary will take a big hit here in March with 4 of the 5 starters being FA's (Rapp/ Scott/ Long/ Hill),

I think replacing the entire 2022 starting secondary is too much to ask Snead to accomplish.

True enough, and my own mock has us taking 2 CB's & 2 Safeties, both high & low in the draft order. Pair Ramsey with a top quality rookie & watch our Edge rushing game also improve.
jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
True enough, and my own mock has us taking 2 CB's & 2 Safeties, both high & low in the draft order. Pair Ramsey with a top quality rookie & watch our Edge rushing game also improve.
jmo.
Which unit ... CB unit or the safety unit at this time minus the 4 FA's is in better shape? Minus Jalen?

CB's
Durant
Kendrick
Rochell
Carter
Jolly

Safeties
Fuller
Yeast
Lake
LeCount

If it were my decision to make I am :

Releasing the injury-prone SS Jordan Fuller instant near $3 million in cap savings.

Move Jalen Ramsey into the deep safety post & assign Jalen Ramsey the secondary mature leadership duties.

Lake & Yeast fight it out for the SS post.

Corners Durant/Rochell as starters on the outside, and Kendrick as the Nickle.

I would resign Nickle corner UFA Grant Haley.

I would draft an outside corner on the 2nd day of the draft & then again on the 3rd day.

I would draft a FS on the 3rd day of the draft.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Which unit ... CB unit or the safety unit at this time minus the 4 FA's is in better shape? Minus Jalen?

CB's
Durant
Kendrick
Rochell
Carter
Jolly

Safeties
Fuller
Yeast
Lake
LeCount

If it were my decision to make I am :

Releasing the injury-prone SS Jordan Fuller instant near $3 million in cap savings.

Move Jalen Ramsey into the deep safety post & assign Jalen Ramsey the secondary mature leadership duties.

Lake & Yeast fight it out for the SS post.

Corners Durant/Rochell as starters on the outside, and Kendrick as the Nickle.

I would resign Nickle corner UFA Grant Haley.

I would draft an outside corner on the 2nd day of the draft & then again on the 3rd day.

I would draft a FS on the 3rd day of the draft.

Agree, but I give Fuller one last shot at proving himself, although he could easily become a CAP Casualty if McSnead has lost confidence in him getting on the field.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agree, but I give Fuller one last shot at proving himself, although he could easily become a CAP Casualty if McSnead has lost confidence in him.
Jordan Fuller is far more of a strong safety skilled DB than FS. Snead drafted 2 strong safeties skilled last year (Lake/Yeast) for 4 yr contracts plus Snead signed a strong safety skilled 2021 Browns 5th rd selection Richard LeCount for 2 seasons. Fuller past 3 seasons with the Rams & has been placed on the IR 3 times.:wow2::sur::thinking:

2020 season: Fuller suffered a shoulder injury in Week 5 and was placed on injured reserve on October 13, 2020.

2021 season: Fuller suffered an ankle injury and was placed on injured reserve.

2022 season: On October 8, 2022, Fuller was placed on injured reserve.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Regardless of what happens with Ramsey the Rams need two things:

1. A legit blindside threat.

2. Influx of talent in the secondary.

Now it can to some extent be a "one or the other" situation, where the defense could be settled if one is met. Which is to say good enough defense not necessarily a great defense. Also with limited resources plus McVay needing offensive talent added at LG (minimum) and TE, it is unlikely both get addressed sufficiently to upgrade them.

So it is that I see DBs as the best approach. Bring in one good safety option and another good young corner and we'd be way better off.

But who knows maybe they get lucky and hit big on an edge in the draft. And due to AD's presence if that happens it will again mask the secondary's issues greatly.