Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend

She basically breaks down what happened last season (a bit more than her article) and lays out the plan for this season and next.

- Rams are pivoting with an eye for 2024
- They want to fix offense for this season
- Ramsey's contract was always set up this way so a possible trade could happen and he's the chip they're looking to use to add resources now that they feel like the old team model doesn't work (it's efficiency ended a year too early)
- Rams aren't just shopping Ramsey, people are calling and they're calling with potential offers but teams trying to figure out corners in draft before making final offer
- They figure with a fixed offense they can be "competitive" next year but maybe just an 8-9 win team
- Defense is gonna take a big hit with losses due to cap but they are still looking to find a star passrusher in trade/draft/FA to help Donald and eventually take over for him
- Rams will look at D with Donald and a bunch of guys to try to hold teams to 20 points a game and have the fixed offense do the rest
- In 2024, they'll have a bunch more cap, a 1st round pick and make one last big push for SB with remaining core of Stafford, Kupp and Donald before an actual rebuild has to happen

I really encourage everyone to give it a listen, I'm paraphrasing here but Jourdan's reporting has been impeccable. Seems to confirm some of what Cowhard has already reported from his sources. There is a boatload more info in the pod. No way I can summarize everything. Just about every question is answered about last year and this year.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
She basically breaks down what happened last season (a bit more than her article) and lays out the plan for this season and next.

- Rams are pivoting with an eye for 2024
- They want to fix offense for this season
- Ramsey's contract was always set up this way so a possible trade could happen and he's the chip they're looking to use to add resources now that they feel like the old team model doesn't work (it's efficiency ended a year too early)
- They figure with a fixed offense they can be "competitive" next year but maybe just an 8-9 win team
- Defense is gonna take a hit but they are still looking to find a star passrusher in trade/draft/FA to help Donald and eventually take over for him
- In 2024, they'll have a bunch more cap, a 1st round pick and make one last big push for SB with remaining core of Stafford, Kupp and Donald before an actual rebuild has to happen

I really encourage everyone to give it a listen, I'm paraphrasing here but Jourdan's reporting has been impeccable. Seems to confirm some of what Cowhard has already reported from his sources. There is a boatload more info in the pod. No way I can summarize everything. Just about every question is answered about last year and this year.
Reports like this are not going to draw new Rams fans in LA.

We don’t even think we’ll be competitive but, come on out and pay thousands of dollars to watch our shitshow. :explode1:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Really hope last year was an aberration but, it isn’t looking good for 23 and who knows after that. Maybe by the time we get to the draft prospects will be looking better.
Don't let yourself get too down. They decided that their core wasn't gonna cut it in the next year or two so bit the bullet and these are good decisions because they were correct. Even aside from the injuries last year's team was not up to snuff. That championship run and following celebration simply blinded the organization to the problem areas.

But McVay is still that coach who turned a roster around quickly after many years of losing. He's better now than he's ever been too, as he's learned (hopefully) some hard lessons on the areas where he has blind spots. Fans aren't going to realize this in this moment of here and now, but the Rams making the hard calls on the roster not being good enough is a positive. It would have been much worse had they doubled down on a core that would let them down again. We're not gonna win shit thinking Ramsey is a shutdown corner, or that Floyd will bounce back to the guy we paid, or that Boom is the great LT only the staff and a percentage of fans see, or that our safeties are going to turn the corner magically, or that Rochell and Long will suddenly be good players, or that Allen will suddenly be healthy, and so on. I mean we could keep going there and when you have that going on it's time to cut fucking bait and rebuild.

I am just happy that McVay's gonna stay the course. And I think this change of approach is going to be good for him and the Rams. I just pray that he's finally ready to get the goddamn run game going. He has to realize by now that the run game has been his greatest problem, even with the team that won it all. And hopefully there will be investment in this secondary as well, because they're garbage and not remotely good enough. Do those two things and this team will win plenty of games and probably get eliminated still in the playoffs but we'll be back in winning form.

Oh and draft Haener midrounds. I want that kid for our backup role in 2024.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I think the figure she used was $100 million. We could do a lot with that.

dang

Legend

We don’t even think we’ll be competitive but, come on out and pay thousands of dollars to watch our shitshow. :explode1:
There’s one winner at the end of each year in the NFL. In 2021 that was the Rams. 2022 was the Chiefs. 2023 will likely be one of Chiefs/Eagles. Not enough can be done to put the Rams up there. I do like hearing there is a 2 year plan to put the Rams up there in 2024. I’ve been a Rams fan long enough to be satisfied with the 2 year plan. I see little FA action from the Rams (other than keeping some of their own) but I expect them to solidify the OL and find an RB (to likely replace Akers) via the draft this year.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
IMO Detroit is the logical landing place for both Ramsey and Floyd. If Holmes agrees to give the Rams both of Detroit's second round picks and to assume the restructure guaranteed money for both players they would get a pass rusher to play opposite Hutchinson and much needed help in their secondary.

The Rams get two second round picks, but more importantly cap relief, enough so they won't have to be post June 1 designations. More importantly the Rams gain about $19M in cap relief. Paired with Wagner and that would be over $24M in cap clearance, erasing their deficit cap and giving them $10M clearance.

Detroit would then be a legit playoff contender. They have the cap space and the need. With 3 second round picks 36, 48 and 55 they would own the second round and fill all their needs on the second day. Or they could move into the first round as well. Trading 36 and 48 gets them into the middle of the first round and they would still have a second round pick.

If we’re giving them a top 5 corner and an edge rusher who has 9+ sacks three years straight with nobody opposite him, they better damn well give us both firsts. Fuck the seconds. Floyd’s production opposite Hutch would easily be a double digit sack season. Ramsey commands more than a first. Giving Floyd with him ups the demand IMO

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I'll say it again, if we are trading an elite player like Ramsey (I still wouldn't do it), we better fleece the shit out of the other team. I was able to listen to part of Jourdan's podcast and trading Floyd is to free up cash to sign players to bigger bonuses to allow us to use cash vs cap. Makes me wonder why we can't keep Ramsey using some of that or if that option is on the table. She called Van a good #2 and borderline #1 on other teams which was laughable as hell, however if teams view him that way, I'd trade him for some high picks although I doubt we'd fetch much for him. Those draft picks could be used as trade ammo for a better player.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'll say it again, if we are trading an elite player like Ramsey (I still wouldn't do it), we better fleece the shit out of the other team. I was able to listen to part of Jourdan's podcast and trading Floyd is to free up cash to sign players to bigger bonuses to allow us to use cash vs cap. Makes me wonder why we can't keep Ramsey using some of that or if that option is on the table. She called Van a good #2 and borderline #1 on other teams which was laughable as hell, however if teams view him that way, I'd trade him for some high picks although I doubt we'd fetch much for him. Those draft picks could be used as trade ammo for a better player.

Well, I think we can agree that we're selling high on Ramsey. I hope you're right that we'll fleece someone but I suspect the value will come in around a mid-low 1st round pick (or that value in total picks). My reasonable hope is we could get a low 1st value with a little more, say an early 4th. I'd be pretty happy with that but I'm not sure you would be. My worry is we get a little less than a low 1st in value.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Well, I think we can agree that we're selling high on Ramsey. I hope you're right that we'll fleece someone but I suspect the value will come in around a mid-low 1st round pick (or that value in total picks). My reasonable hope is we could get a low 1st value with a little more, say an early 4th. I'd be pretty happy with that but I'm not sure you would be. My worry is we get a little less than a low 1st in value.
Mid 1st is the least but I'd want multiple picks along with it. Ultimately I won't be happy, but I'll accept it, move on and cheer on the Rams in hoping they make all the right moves afterwards.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Hopefully that means it's a bunch of BS. They're not trading him but giving him a new deal to lessen the blow this year and next.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don

Don't worry about the Rams economically they will always have the stadium and yes it is one of the characters. The team which will continue to build a fan base and the opposing teams fans which are represented by L.A residents. It is a model that will endure restructuring.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Don't worry about the Rams economically they will always have the stadium and yes it is one of the characters. The team which will continue to build a fan base and the opposing teams fans which are represented by L.A residents. It is a model that will endure restructuring.
Not to mention, the word is they are trying to upgrade the offense, which is always a crowd pleasure :)

Rams43

Hall of Fame
One thing I gleaned from the last Jourdan podcast is that Rams made too many ‘emotional’ decisions in the SB afterglow.

And that they’ve learned their lesson. Love them or hate them, I think we can at least be assured that these current decisions have been unemotionally thought out.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
As long as there is a plan. Whatever that plan is - I don’t care. I just want them to have a well thought ought out plan and adhere to it. That’s all I ask for really. Nothing worse, as a fan, having your team be rudderless.

WestCoastRam

Legend
As long as there is a plan. Whatever that plan is - I don’t care. I just want them to have a well thought ought out plan and adhere to it. That’s all I ask for really. Nothing worse, as a fan, having your team be rudderless.
I agree. And I appreciate this about this front office, that up until last year there was always a plan. If you listen to Jourdan's pod you'll see though that "running it back" was probably a little emotional and less thought out plan but even then there was an okay plan and Miller was part of it. When he shocked them, they really didn't have a plan B (first time I can think of this admin not having a plan) and that's when they made the mistake with ARob. LISTEN TO THE POD!

Still, thankfully they're not the like some of those GMs and Coaches who just throw money/draft or trade players just cause they feel like they need to (ARob being the exception*) without really having an idea of what their process is and why they're doing it.

*Not that ARob isn't a player who can be average - if not - good but they went after him for a role he cannot play anymore (X receiver), did no due diligence and just grabbed him to make a splash and stubbornly did not move him to other roles when it was obvious he was not gonna make plays being the backside receiver other than in the endzone.