Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Saw a cowboys trade idea where we trade Ramsey for Zeke.

1. No thank you.
2. I'll lose nearly all faith in the FO if they trade Ramsey. Drafting had already been sketchy since Brad Homes left.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well and Zeke is burnt… Tony Pollard had his job next year until he got injured…

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

1. No thank you.
2. I'll lose nearly all faith in the FO if they trade Ramsey. Drafting had already been sketchy since Brad Homes left.
This is the "throw out the retarded as fuck ideas" season. This ain't happening.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Of Ram's top 10 highest-paid players on the salary cap roster, Jalen is the 2nd youngest! with only Noteboom being younger @ 27yrs old. Ramsey (is only 28 yrs old!)! 6 are over 30 yrs old & 6 of the top 10 are far lower-skilled players than JR. I would certainly look at trading or releasing those older 6 before looking at dumping a 28 yr old all-star DB who is playing in this season's pro bowl!

The Ram's secondary is a full-blown :crap:show mess without Jaylen Ramsey.

JR
is
an instant cure-all if he was moved to the Deep/ Free Safety post where he could work with strong safety youngsters Quentin Lake/ Russ Yeast & Robert LaCount. Jalen could also play outside the corner whenever there is a need. The Rams can cut Strong Safety (always injured) Jordan Fuller = cap saving nearly $3 million. Decent Strong safeties are a dime to the dozen after the final cuts before the regular season begins. Jalen roaming free in that deep secondary is a nightmare :scream:for opponents QB's

If you did the above it leaves Snead just half of the secondary (the corners) for repairs.

Snead has a trio of young recent draft selections Decobie Durant / Robert Rochell & Derion Kendricks plus rookie TJ Carter. Snead also could easily resign economy CB ERFA's veteran Grant Haley (who started for the Rams in 2022) & rookie Shaun Jolly.

If you want a vet I'll bet you veteran Troy Hill would sign very cheaply $$$ too after the regular season begins. All Snead needs to do is draft a couple of skilled corners in this yrs draft to beef up this corner unit. Remeber now Snead has 10 selections!

Jaylen a fifth overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, earned his top draft position by playing free safety/ corner/ nickel & Spur position during his time @ FSU.

I can hear it now that we are going to see posts claiming it would be really bad to move Jaylen from corner to safety .........then we will hear how bad it would be to have NFL's top run defenders playing safety ........:not:

Last edited:

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

1. No thank you.

Sounds like something a Cowboys fan would come up with. Wishful thinking + overblown opinion of their players. We’d need a lot more than Zeke.

Ram65

Legend
I love Ramsey. But he has declined. And his decline is potentially going to accelerate as it often does with corners, given the importance of speed. The translation for us is that he is not going to be worth what we pay him.

This is the window to move him. Rams can still get something for him right now. This time next year all we'll get is cap hits.

There is potential to move him to safety, but that comes with a contract hit for him that he would probably not accept. Only other option is to play him via scheme to allow him protections with safety coverage but that also means a contract hit.

It is always sad to see a great player decline but we are there with Jalen and the team has to decide if they're going to be ruthless as they have consistently been under McVay with guys who do not play up to their contracts. Or if they're going to be sentimental and allow it to hurt the quality of the team we field.

Has he really declined or has he been overrated as a cover corner (since becoming a Ram)? Offenses haven't been afraid to test him as they once were.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1613657072582762516/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1613657072582762516%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

He is a physical tackler and a great run defender.

This is pre June 1 trade numbers. Not much saving this year.

YearAgeBase SalaryProrated BonusRoster BonusGuaranteed SalaryCap
Number
Cap %Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension
202026$1,203,000$5,000,000$0$1,203,000$6,203,0003.0%
202127$1,500,000$8,200,000$0$1,500,000$9,700,0005.2%
202228$15,000,000$8,200,000$0$15,000,000$23,200,00011.5%
202329$17,000,000$8,200,000$0$5,000,000$25,200,00011.2%$19,600,000$5,600,000
202430$14,500,000$8,200,000$4,000,000$0$26,700,00010.4%$11,400,000$15,300,000
202531$15,500,000$3,200,000$4,000,000$0$22,700,0008.0%$3,200,000$19,500,000
Total$64,703,000$41,000,000$8,000,000$22,703,000$113,703,000

This post June 1 Trade with much better savings.

YearAgeBase SalaryProrated BonusRoster BonusGuaranteed SalaryCap
Number
Cap %Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension
202026$1,203,000$5,000,000$0$1,203,000$6,203,0003.0%
202127$1,500,000$8,200,000$0$1,500,000$9,700,0005.2%
202228$15,000,000$8,200,000$0$15,000,000$23,200,00011.5%
202329$17,000,000$8,200,000$0$5,000,000$25,200,00011.2%$8,200,000$17,000,000
202430$14,500,000$8,200,000$4,000,000$0$26,700,00010.4%$8,200,000$18,500,000
202531$15,500,000$3,200,000$4,000,000$0$22,700,0008.0%$3,200,000$19,500,000
Total$64,703,000$41,000,000$8,000,000$22,703,000$113,703,000

The big problem is if the Rams trade Ramsey an already poor secondary becomes much worse. I like him as a safety with moving him around. The Rams would still need help at CB. He would be overpaid but, could be more of a difference-maker at safety. (He needs to work with the JUGS machine. In a trade, the Rams would have to get at least one starter and multiple picks in 2024. I'm not sure what is the best move, but I do like him as a move safety if......

Safety Cap Hits

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Has he really declined or has he been overrated as a cover corner (since becoming a Ram)? Offenses haven't been afraid to test him as they once were.
He was still an eraser when we traded for him. We did start to see some chinks in his coverage ability a couple years back where certain wideouts he had to pull and hold to stay with them. He is the best in the league at disguising his holds IMO. But last year was pretty bad. There were some wideouts running by him, and the trend is pretty clear. To me at least and I'm fine with disagreement on this just throwing out my take as always.

My deal is the combination of these things plus his age plus his pay mean there's a good football decision to be made. This is why they have started to use his strengths as a star. They make a big deal out of it, but basically you put the lesser athletes in the slot because it's easier to protect them there vs outside the hash. And in his case he's like an ILB in his tackling ability. It's very rare strength for a CB to be able to manhandle guys like he does.

So idk. Is there a role they can invent to maximize him for another year or so? I'm sure there is. But there is also room to move him and add some draft capital that we can use to quicken the reload, as it can remove the worst case scenario from happening where his speed drops off the cliff as you see it happen with DBs at times.

I love his ability on the rush too btw. The guy has good instincts on the blitz and is physical and good at edging blockers. But again his cap hit is the issue. Fine player who simply isn't any longer what we're paying him for.

Ram65

Legend
My deal is the combination of these things plus his age plus his pay mean there's a good football decision to be made. This is why they have started to use his strengths as a star. They make a big deal out of it, but basically you put the lesser athletes in the slot because it's easier to protect them there vs outside the hash. And in his case he's like an ILB in his tackling ability. It's very rare strength for a CB to be able to manhandle guys like he does.

So idk. Is there a role they can invent to maximize him for another year or so? I'm sure there is. But there is also room to move him and add some draft capital that we can use to quicken the reload, as it can remove the worst case scenario from happening where his speed drops off the cliff as you see it happen with DBs at times.

I love his ability on the rush too btw. The guy has good instincts on the blitz and is physical and good at edging blockers. But again his cap hit is the issue. Fine player who simply isn't any longer what we're paying him for.

What's your plan?

Trade before the draft?
$19.6 Cap Hit with $5.6M Savings

Trade after the draft?
$8.2M Cap Hit with $17M Savings

What do the Rams look to get in a trade?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's your plan?

Trade before the draft?
$19.6 Cap Hit with $5.6M Savings

Trade after the draft?
$8.2M Cap Hit with $17M Savings

What do the Rams look to get in a trade?
No idea what his value is 65. Just think it's a possibility we do something with him. Could just be a restructure or maybe they suck it up for a year.

Ram65

Legend
No idea what his value is 65. Just think it's a possibility we do something with him. Could just be a restructure or maybe they suck it up for a year.

I'm more confident than not that they will look at all the possibilities for Ramsey including a trade. A trade after June 1 gives the Rams more cap savings that they could use for late FA signings and/or carryover. However, the Rams are running out of time with this current so Believe they need to make a run now.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
He was still an eraser when we traded for him. We did start to see some chinks in his coverage ability a couple years back where certain wideouts he had to pull and hold to stay with them. He is the best in the league at disguising his holds IMO. But last year was pretty bad. There were some wideouts running by him, and the trend is pretty clear. To me at least and I'm fine with disagreement on this just throwing out my take as always.

If we do end up trading Ramsey - or move him to safety next year - I'd love to see us draft Kris Abrams-Draine and Ennis Rakestraw Jr. out of Missouri in 2024 and have them alternate with Durant in the slot. They're both outstanding ballhawks whom I loved to watch.

KAD would definitely go before Rakestraw, probably in the late-first/mid-second range. KAD's small and slight (5'11", 178 lbs., according to Mizzou's website), but he's - without a shadow of a doubt -one of the best cover corners in the nation (was second in the SEC in pass breakups), and quite physical for his size.

Rakestraw could probably go mid-second as well, but he had an ACL tear in his freshman year. I don't know if Rakestraw declares early; he's a smart kid who made the SEC Honor roll twice thus far, but it's possible. He's 6'0", 176 lbs., so he's also quite slight, but he's also a physical player and willing tackler.

I know we probably won't take them, given that they've never really taken players I pounded the table for, but it's worth thinking about.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm more confident than not that they will look at all the possibilities for Ramsey including a trade. A trade after June 1 gives the Rams more cap savings that they could use for late FA signings and/or carryover. However, the Rams are running out of time with this current so Believe they need to make a run now.
If The Rams make a trade after June then there would be a good indication after the draft what the thought process is going to be.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we do end up trading Ramsey - or move him to safety next year - I'd love to see us draft Kris Abrams-Draine and Ennis Rakestraw Jr. out of Missouri in 2024 and have them alternate with Durant in the slot. They're both outstanding ballhawks whom I loved to watch.
I definitely value ball skills with the corners. The way the Rams offense is when it's doing its thing means any player who can flip the field back to us brings extra advantage. Obviously the offense needs to do better, but philosophically here's hoping they're going back to ball skills with their DBs, and targeting guys who can track and show some ball awareness at the least.

Now to what extent Morris can take advantage of that we will see. But it would benefit him greatly IMO to tell Les to go get him at least one corner who can add some INT threat to this defensive backfield. It has been a very sad and shitty group of late.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

3 Teams Who Should Pursue A Trade For Rams’ Jalen Ramsey​

The 2022 season was a rocky one for Los Angeles Rams cornerback Jalen Ramsey. That is hard for some to believe because when taking a look at his counting statistics, it was arguably the best one of his career.

Jalen Ramsey had the first two sacks of his career and set career highs with 88 tackles, four tackles for loss, two quarterback hits and 18 passes defended. The four interceptions he recorded were tied for the most in a single season.

Despite that, 2022 was the first time since his rookie season that Jalen Ramsey didn’t earn either a Pro Bowl or All-Pro nomination. Part of that is likely because some of his luster in coverage faded as top-tier opponents were finding success with regularity against him.

Short on assets and up against the salary cap, Jalen Ramsey could be someone the Rams look to trade this offseason while he still has some value. Where could he end up? Here are three teams that should pursue a trade for the standout cornerback.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers

The Pittsburgh Steelers aren’t normally in the business of adding high-priced veterans to the roster, but they could consider making an exception for Jalen Ramsey. If the opportunity presents itself to upgrade the secondary at a reasonable price, Pittsburgh needs to explore it.

With Cameron Sutton and James Pierre hitting free agency, this is a group that could be in need of some reinforcements this offseason. The Steelers’ secondary is a solid group overall but they are lacking that true No. 1 to bring it all together.

While Jalen Ramsey’s performance was ridiculed by some, he did still have a solid season and would be an upgrade for Pittsburgh. Playing behind the Steelers’ vaunted pass rush could also help him get back on track as the front seven getting after the quarterback makes life easier for the secondary.

2. Philadelphia Eagles

The Philadelphia Eagles could have some major holes to fill in their secondary this off-season. C.J. Gardner-Johnson and James Bradberry have played pivotal roles in their success this season but both are entering free agency.

If they are unable to retain them, especially Bradberry, looking into acquiring someone such as Jalen Ramsey would make a lot of sense. The pressure of being the lockdown No. 1 corner would be alleviated with Darius Slay playing on the opposite side of the field.

With two first-round picks in the 2023 NFL Draft, their own and one courtesy of the New Orleans Saints, the Eagles can aggressively pursue upgrades this offseason. If a bidding war ensued for Jalen Ramsey, they could be able to still make a competitive offer.

1. Detroit Lions

For the first time in a long time, the Detroit Lions look to be on the right path. General manager Brad Holmes and head coach Dan Campbell have done an excellent job of quickly turning things around in the Motor City.

The offense was explosive throughout the 2022 season, but the defense left a lot to be desired. After going 9-8, this is a team on the verge of potentially becoming one to worry about in the NFC. if they can improve defensively to match the offensive production, watch out.

The secondary is currently their biggest weakness. Armed with two first-round picks, the Lions should aggressively pursue an upgrade, making Jalen Ramsey an ideal target. Detroit owns the Rams’ first-round pick in the 2023 NFL Draft so they could certainly do some haggling to bring in the former All-Pro to upgrade their secondary.