Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
One thing I don't is why the Rams who don't put value on safety will put a high priced guy like Ramsey at safety.
Not likely to happen but Ramsey would be much more than just a safety. He’d be a defensive field general, a heat-seeking missle bringing the wood and an emotional spark plug for the entire defense. Every defense needs a couple guys like that to lead the charge.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not likely to happen but Ramsey would be much more than just a safety. He’d be a defensive field general, a heat-seeking missle bringing the wood and an emotional spark plug for the entire defense. Every defense needs a couple guys like that to lead the charge.
He's that right now as a CB.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He doesnt cost 26 mill next year
You're mixing all sorts of metaphors here.
5 mill a year of dead cap for next 2 years recovering his signing bonus of 25 mill
3.2 mil a year of dead cap for next 3 years from his contract restructure that saved the Rams the cap space they needed to sign other players
Guaranteed salary in 2023, NOT in 2024.
So they trade him, it only saves 5.6 mill and you no longer have the player on the team.
You arent replacing his caliber of player with 5.6 mill nor a draft pick
In 2024, there is no "savings" because he's not on the payroll.
If he plays next yr in LA it's a $26M cap hit is it not?

Thus, you are saying this is his last yr here in your scenario. If that's the case why not just move him now for higher value and more savings over the next 2 yrs? Seems pretty straightforward to me.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He doesnt cost 26 mill next year
You're mixing all sorts of metaphors here.
5 mill a year of dead cap for next 2 years recovering his signing bonus of 25 mill
3.2 mil a year of dead cap for next 3 years from his contract restructure that saved the Rams the cap space they needed to sign other players
Guaranteed salary in 2023, NOT in 2024.
So they trade him, it only saves 5.6 mill and you no longer have the player on the team.
You arent replacing his caliber of player with 5.6 mill nor a draft pick
In 2024, there is no "savings" because he's not on the payroll.
Also, as of right now...this very moment, the Rams are projected to be over the 24' projected cap by $3M. That's for only the 36 players currently under contract in 24'.

So that defecit will balloon after they sign more guys to reach the 53 limit that will be under contract next yr. Now that INCLUDES Ramsey's 24' cap charge of $26M.

So if he is here next yr that is his cap number. So not sure why you are not taking that into consideration unless you are proposing that they keep him this yr and dump him next yr, which seems like a waste.

So if they move him now, they save 5.6M this yr and $26M next yr. And that's vs him staying here long-term past next yr.

If you want to compare the above scenario to keeping him only one more yr, we'll then the savings are less, but it seems to defeat the idea that some have of keeping him long-term.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Teams learn from other's mistakes. And he is older than Adams was. Age isn't ideal when it comes to CB value.

Also, it doesn't help that this is a strong CB draft and a strong CB FA class.
The Adams trade is the poster child for NOT trading much of anything for a defensive back. More realistic, or maybe still wishful thinking, is “the Rams might even get a first round pick” for Ramsay. And yes it’s a strong draft class for corners.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
There’s some pretty good cb talent this draft, if we could get one trading Ramsey makes sense.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Maybe from a National Media Point-of-View but I live in NYC; and the local sports media and fans were ecstatic from the moment Joe Douglas and the Jets got two first round picks for Jamal Adams. The thought and comments here were universally supportive of the trade, and amazed that Seattle gave-up so much.
New York also here . and that's my point. Course NY was elated. Ramsey is way better at everything or just about everything and could probably play Adams position better than him to boot.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
The Adams trade is the poster child for NOT trading much of anything for a defensive back. More realistic, or maybe still wishful thinking, is “the Rams might even get a first round pick” for Ramsay. And yes it’s a strong draft class for corners.
Sucker born every minute and the rams must find that sucker or hold onto Ramsey.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Mayfield is never taking over as our starter, that's where you lose me every time. Not trying to hate on the dude but he has a long track record and it's one of a career back up.
Ditto he is not the answer. The reason most teams don't go anywhere or deep into the playoffs usually stems from not having a baller at QB Mayfield is not a baller. Everyone got so excited based on our shit season and he was great in that game the rest of the games he came back to earth.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
he will be 31. Yeah, he was still elite this season, but, there were signs that he may have lost a step in there. IF we can get anywhere near what we paid for him to trade him out, I'm all for it. That said, seriously doubt he returns 2 1sts.

Absolutely true words above!
If at all possible, get a ton in trade for him right now. Would you accept two 1st round picks and an above average O-lineman, and they take over Ramsey's owed money .. in trade? I sure would!!! You'd be crazy not to.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Whit is the only one we truly missed. Von came at 8 games in plus some extra time off due to an injury. You're counting on Von like he was there all that year he wasn't and his stats only kicked in in the playoffs not the reg season. The DL/OLBs were doing great prior to Von coming.
Agree Whit was totally crucial but imo Von Miller was also critical to the championship run. AD and Miller applied the pressure which kept us in games, got us the ball back in the second half, and put the games away when we (finally) got the lead at the end. And we have missed that level of pressure big time since he walked.

Last edited:

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Because Lott ended his career playing for multiple teams in his last years, I want Ramsey to play for just the one he's on.
And fuck Ronnie Lott
Mentioning Ronnie Lott had nothing to do with the teams he played on at the end of his career to me.
Simply he ended up at safety and I want JR to finish as a Ram.
I think it could work for him but he has a few years left at CB.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Mentioning Ronnie Lott had nothing to do with the teams he played on at the end of his career to me.
Simply he ended up at safety and I want JR to finish as a Ram.
I think it could work for him but he has a few years left at CB.
Just an aside, Ronnie Lott actually played most of his career at Safety.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Rod Woodson probably a better comparison
That guy was So Good ... for So Long. Came-out of the 1987 Draft. Lots of good players in that Draft.

The Rams got Donald Evans, Cliff Hicks and Doug Bartlett. I don't even remember Doug Bartlett!!!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
That guy was So Good ... for So Long. Came-out of the 1987 Draft. Lots of good players in that Draft.

The Rams got Donald Evans, Cliff Hicks and Doug Bartlett. I don't even remember Doug Bartlett!!!
I remember Bartlett... white guy, undersized DT they moved to LB... he couldn't play LB.