Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Maybe they're trying to restructure Stafford, Donald and Kupp to keep Ramsey.
You can restructure without the player consenting because it doesn't affect when or what he gets paid. The team just changes how it's accounted for..turning salary into bonus etc...

He made it sound like they want to change the contract in terms of dollars and or yrs. That's a bit different.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
His 2024 salary and bonus isnt guaranteed, so it's not saving that cap
Sure about that? This shows they incur dead cap space if he is released next yr before June 1st. And its definite that his already paid prorated signing bonus would still count next yr.

If he goes this yr you take that dead cap on now.

His contract

Screenshot_20230303_164956_Chrome.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure about that? This shows they incur dead cap space if he is released next yr before June 1st. And its definite that his already paid prorated signing bonus would still count next yr.

If he goes this yr you take that dead cap on now.

His contract

View attachment 58992
Yep, that says exactly the same.
2024 isnt guaranteed, nor is the roster bonus. So if he's cut, they only have the dead cap hit of 11.4 mill, which is the prorated signing bonus amount in '24 & '25, (Actually it's 5 mill of signing bonus + 6.4 mill from a previous re-structure)
Sportrac sums it up a little better:
1677881782770.png

Attachments

• 1677881673031.png
    1677881673031.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 38

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yep, that says exactly the same.
2024 isnt guaranteed, nor is the roster bonus. So if he's cut, they only have the dead cap hit of 11.4 mill, which is the prorated signing bonus amount in '24 & '25, (Actually it's 5 mill of signing bonus + 6.4 mill from a previous re-structure)
Sportrac sums it up a little better:
View attachment 58994
So instead of trading him this yr and saving 5.6M in 23' and his entire $26M next yr (eating his dead cap now), you are saying they can move him next yr, likely for less since he's a yr older, and take not only an $11M dead cap hit next, but you save nothing this yr (5.6M if traded this yr).

Now consider they currently stand at $3M over the 24' cap with only 36 players signed for 24'.

I prefer to move him this yr for more assets (could even get hurt this yr, completely killing his value) and save $5.6M this yr and $26M next yr.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Maybe they're trying to restructure Stafford, Donald and Kupp to keep Ramsey.
That would be the guess, but needing approval from Stafford means they are changing his compensation.

That would be ideal though in saving cap room over the next 2 yrs and keeping Ramsey.

To me Donald is set up to retire after this yr it would seem. They can designate him as a June 1st release in 24' and actually save $21M. Not sure if retiring changes that for the better. I can't see them asking for him to return any signing bonus money.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So instead of trading him this yr and saving 5.6M in 23' and his entire $26M next yr (eating his dead cap now), you are saying they can move him next yr, likely for less since he's a yr older, and take not only an $11M dead cap hit next, but you save nothing this yr (5.6M if traded this yr).

Now consider they currently stand at $3M over the 24' cap with only 36 players signed for 24'.

I prefer to move him this yr for more assets (could even get hurt this yr, completely killing his value) and save $5.6M this yr and $26M next yr.
He doesnt cost 26 mill next year
You're mixing all sorts of metaphors here.
5 mill a year of dead cap for next 2 years recovering his signing bonus of 25 mill
3.2 mil a year of dead cap for next 3 years from his contract restructure that saved the Rams the cap space they needed to sign other players
Guaranteed salary in 2023, NOT in 2024.
So they trade him, it only saves 5.6 mill and you no longer have the player on the team.
You arent replacing his caliber of player with 5.6 mill nor a draft pick
In 2024, there is no "savings" because he's not on the payroll.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think the idea of moving Ramsey to Safety is too premature.

Hes still one of the best CB in the league.
He's definitely physical enough to play Safety, but it would be a waste of talent at this time.

Most importantly. I don't see us paying a safety over $20 mill a year.
I would have thought the same but the Rams have not had a playmaker playing free safety centerfield with the talent of Jalen Ramsey either.

Snead never has been one to place a priority on the safety position & I fully agree with him on this but I believe that Jalen could be the best deep safety in the NFL in 2023 if he had a chance to play there.

The Rams will be forced to draft a deep safety in this upcoming draft no matter if Jalen remains in LA or not.

oldnotdead

Legend
If they trade Ramsey they could basically clear their cap deficit in one move. Along with not extending A'Shawn Robinson, Rapp and others they will be able to re-sign their priority FAs and have cap space to sign their draft class.

But it depends upon what kind of deal they make. If the trade with say Detroit can be made where they pickup Jalen's entire contract plus giving the Rams both their second round picks, that would be an outstanding trade. Detroit gets Ramsey, and keeps both their first round picks, the Rams clear $32M off the books and have 3 second round picks this year. They could fill all remaining needs with that cap space and picks. I'm not saying that will happen but saying one trade if structured well could really set the Rams up for the long haul.

It's also why I think Snead is looking at the next 5 years. If Mayfield stays and becomes the next starter in 2024 then their cap would be very manageable once again. Even with Stafford retiring in 2024 in that scenario, the Rams will clear enough off the cap to pay Mayfield who won't command a superstar contract. As a starter, Mayfield would be paid about half of what Goff is being paid now. Since Goff has established his worth Baker has yet to do so. If the Rams signed him as a starter in 2024 it would be very affordable. That's why if they can keep Baker they should sign him to a 5 year deal, i.e. one year as a backup and four years as a starter. His market value would probably be less than $15M / year to start with.

That's why IMO unloading both Ramsey this year and Stafford next year would free up the Ram's cap situation for years. Don't forget Donald is likely to retire next year leaving them with a $19.5M cap hit. IMO the next three years will be about restructuring the Ram's cap situation. That doesn't mean they still can't be in the hunt. They still can be but Snead needs to be very shrewd about his cap usage for the next 3 years.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they trade Ramsey they could basically clear their cap deficit in one move.
Sorry but no it's not even close. We're almost $15 million over the cap and his trade frees up $5.6 million.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
If they trade Ramsey they could basically clear their cap deficit in one move. Along with not extending A'Shawn Robinson, Rapp and others they will be able to re-sign their priority FAs and have cap space to sign their draft class.

But it depends upon what kind of deal they make. If the trade with say Detroit can be made where they pickup Jalen's entire contract plus giving the Rams both their second round picks, that would be an outstanding trade. Detroit gets Ramsey, and keeps both their first round picks, the Rams clear $32M off the books and have 3 second round picks this year. They could fill all remaining needs with that cap space and picks. I'm not saying that will happen but saying one trade if structured well could really set the Rams up for the long haul.

It's also why I think Snead is looking at the next 5 years. If Mayfield stays and becomes the next starter in 2024 then their cap would be very manageable once again. Even with Stafford retiring in 2024 in that scenario, the Rams will clear enough off the cap to pay Mayfield who won't command a superstar contract. As a starter, Mayfield would be paid about half of what Goff is being paid now. Since Goff has established his worth Baker has yet to do so. If the Rams signed him as a starter in 2024 it would be very affordable. That's why if they can keep Baker they should sign him to a 5 year deal, i.e. one year as a backup and four years as a starter. His market value would probably be less than $15M / year to start with.

That's why IMO unloading both Ramsey this year and Stafford next year would free up the Ram's cap situation for years. Don't forget Donald is likely to retire next year leaving them with a $19.5M cap hit. IMO the next three years will be about restructuring the Ram's cap situation. That doesn't mean they still can't be in the hunt. They still can be but Snead needs to be very shrewd about his cap usage for the next 3 years.
Mayfield is never taking over as our starter, that's where you lose me every time. Not trying to hate on the dude but he has a long track record and it's one of a career back up.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter

Aresolution to the Jalen Ramsey situation could be coming in the next few weeks. With the new league year and free agency starting on March 15, the Los Angeles Rams could have a decision made before then.

Ian Rapoport provided an update on the matter during NFL Network’s combine coverage, sharing what the Rams might be able to get for Ramsey, as well as the timeline for this to play out.

According to Rapoport, the Rams have had talks with teams in the last few weeks and he believes they could get as much as a first-round pick. Rapoport believes it will get sorted out prior to free agency, too.

“The Los Angeles Rams really have had conversations over the last couple of weeks as they look to maybe trim some payroll and reallocate some resources,” Rapoport said. “I know they’ve had some interest in Jalen Ramsey. We’ll see if he ends up getting traded. As far as what that price could look like, it might even be a first-rounder. Certainly something that the Los Angeles Rams at least would consider. Is going to play out probably prior to free agency.”

If the Rams do trade Ramsey, they’ll free up $5.6 million in cap space this year, taking on $19.6 million in dead money. Although Ramsey is still an important part of the team, the Rams are looking for cap space and draft picks as they attempt to rebuild a roster that went 5-12 last season.

It was reported that Ramsey is “very likely” to be dealt in the coming weeks, according to league sources that Tom Pelissero talked to, but nothing seems imminent.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I've said this a million times I will say it again because it blows my mind.

How the hell do the jets trade Jamal Adams for wt 2 firsts plus at the safety position and he doesn't tackle and these morons are saying second or getting a first is a stretch or possible etc.

Sorry there's no way in hell Ramsey should not fetch more than Adams or at the least the same and the same is even laughable. Adams had to get a new contract technically Jalen does not. I don't get it at all. One player is far superior to the other.

And when trade was made it was in the know that Seattle sucked or heading down hill .... amazing
Teams learn from other's mistakes. And he is older than Adams was. Age isn't ideal when it comes to CB value.

Also, it doesn't help that this is a strong CB draft and a strong CB FA class.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Teams learn from other's mistakes. And he is older than Adams was. Age isn't ideal when it comes to CB value.

Their best chance to get actual value for Ramsey is after draft. Or well into the draft. Once the premier CBs are taken and a team in need hasn't grabbed one. But then it might be a 2023 3rd round pick, a 2024 1st and 3rd. At that point the Rams are out a premier CB and too far into the draft to get a possible replacement. If they desire another position, like say....a premier Edge, then they're going to have to take less. Maybe just a 2023 1st and a 2024 2nd or 3rd. I'm certainly not advocating a trade but I wouldn't be devastated if it happened. This could all be nothing more than due diligence listening to offers with no real intention....or not. Get the popcorn.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

I hear ya but still only 28 and top 3 in the game also of note it's the undervalued safety position and had to hand him a bag of cash too. To me while teams learn I find it amusing all the talk about giving up 2 picks for Stafford or even Jalen but the Adams trade is hardly ever mentioned or god forbid ridiculed. I still use that as a template they aren't even close in value. I hope this doesn't blow up in our face.
I'd do Ramsey for Tunsil though lol.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
To me while teams learn I find it amusing all the talk about giving up 2 picks for Stafford or even Jalen but the Adams trade is hardly ever mentioned or god forbid ridiculed.
Maybe from a National Media Point-of-View but I live in NYC; and the local sports media and fans were ecstatic from the moment Joe Douglas and the Jets got two first round picks for Jamal Adams. The thought and comments here were universally supportive of the trade, and amazed that Seattle gave-up so much.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

Aresolution to the Jalen Ramsey situation could be coming in the next few weeks. With the new league year and free agency starting on March 15, the Los Angeles Rams could have a decision made before then.

Ian Rapoport provided an update on the matter during NFL Network’s combine coverage, sharing what the Rams might be able to get for Ramsey, as well as the timeline for this to play out.

According to Rapoport, the Rams have had talks with teams in the last few weeks and he believes they could get as much as a first-round pick. Rapoport believes it will get sorted out prior to free agency, too.

“The Los Angeles Rams really have had conversations over the last couple of weeks as they look to maybe trim some payroll and reallocate some resources,” Rapoport said. “I know they’ve had some interest in Jalen Ramsey. We’ll see if he ends up getting traded. As far as what that price could look like, it might even be a first-rounder. Certainly something that the Los Angeles Rams at least would consider. Is going to play out probably prior to free agency.”

If the Rams do trade Ramsey, they’ll free up $5.6 million in cap space this year, taking on $19.6 million in dead money. Although Ramsey is still an important part of the team, the Rams are looking for cap space and draft picks as they attempt to rebuild a roster that went 5-12 last season.

It was reported that Ramsey is “very likely” to be dealt in the coming weeks, according to league sources that Tom Pelissero talked to, but nothing seems imminent.
So aka, no one knows doo doo.....guess the media needs something to talk about to keep the NFL news cycle interesting hahaha

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing I don't is why the Rams who don't put value on safety will put a high priced guy like Ramsey at safety.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I would have thought the same but the Rams have not had a playmaker playing free safety centerfield with the talent of Jalen Ramsey either.

Snead never has been one to place a priority on the safety position & I fully agree with him on this but I believe that Jalen could be the best deep safety in the NFL in 2023 if he had a chance to play there.

The Rams will be forced to draft a deep safety in this upcoming draft no matter if Jalen remains in LA or not.
I think with their success drafting safeties, then letting them walk, leads me to believe it's not a high dollar position for them.

But never say never.