Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Raiders are nearly even money to trade for Ramsey? That seems like a horrible bet. What on earth could the Raiders offer if they are hoping to trade for ARod? And if they don't trade for him, they lack a very real thing, a QB.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I speculate we will get more than he is worth now.

In McSnead I trust.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Decline + Rams are paying him as an eraser + we had a bottom third defense in many metrics. We need to reinvest in the defense, in particular the secondary. Does it make sense to try to do that while you're pissing cap space away to a moody corner whose best days are behind him. Truth is we are fortunate that the league at large seems to hold him in high regard right now.

Also re: Durant the kid barely got a chance early on to contribute but he led the secondary in key metrics after only a handful of games. Disregarding him is silly. Rams hit on him, question is whether he can adjust to playing outside the hash in the NFL because you must be able to tackle. But worst case he will be a top slot corner for us.

Rams biggest problems are at safety. Ramsey could move to safety, but he's not gonna take a demotion from corner yet. He won't do that until it's obvious to everyone that his skills are gone. And his pay prevents a move to safety making sense.

Personally I am a big fan of Durant and his game. I think his aggressiveness and ball skills are required outside the hash, thus I see him as one of our boundary corners and I expect him to have a fantastic season in 2023. We hit on him IMO. What we need to do now is hit on another corner who can play outside the hash and we'll be good to go. Kendrick is simply too limited athletically and will end up in the slot. But he's got some really nice skills to him as well, in particular his ability to control the opponent when he's on top of him. Which is easier to accomplish in the slot and it is where you have resources around you.

Safety is very irritating to me. I don't know what Morris is looking for with those guys but hopefully we get back to having a duo who can switch it up to allow for playing pre-snap games with QBs. We might need two safeties.

This draft is probably going to be quite heavy in the secondary. Safety and Corner for sure, at a minimum, IMO. And we might see a FA safety as well given that there are guys on that FA list who can help us plus they're relative bargains during that window.
Hey @Merlin as you may know you are one of my favorite posters and I tend to agree with your Rams takes about 95% of the time. But in the case of Ramsey I don't quite follow your reasoning. Basically-- do you see a scenario where the Rams trade Ramsey for draft picks, and are still serious SB contenders in 2023?

From my POV, if Rams are counting on a starting CB duo of Durant and a rookie first-round DB, it's hard for me to imagine that duo taking us to the big game. Yes, I'm high on Durant also, but he still could go either way... he could develop into a solid starting CB, or he could end up disappointing like Rochell. (Of course I hope he pans out).

In my mind, the only way Rams can have a chance of a. trading Ramsey and b. remaining Immediate SB contenders is if they somehow get a vet CB to take Ramsey's place as the number one CB. Relying on Durant or a rookie to be our #1 CB sounds to me like a major risk. Just my 2 cents.

So, basically just curious about how you can manage to be optimistic about the CB's in 2023 if we trade away Ramsey.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
My bottom line...

If trading Ramsey resulted in us being able to draft a LT who ends up starting for us for the next 5+ years and maybe makes a Pro Bowl or two along the way, I'd be satisfied.
I've gotten spoiled by the Rams' "F them picks" strategy. Now I'm greedy and want the Rams to trade picks for PROVEN players. Sure wish they had been able to swing the trade for either CMC or Burns.

Now, I'm freaked out by the thought of "appreciate dem picks". Seems like such a gamble to trade a PROVEN all-pro like Ramsey for the "unknown" of a mid to late 1st rounder.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I was just thinking that when the Rams offered all those picks for McCaffrey or Burns, that back then they already planned on recouping those picks with a Ramsey offseason trade?

Cowherd, who does seem to have some source with the Rams based on past reporting on McVay retirement talk before it became a huge story and Stafford's offseason injury being serious before the Rans admitted it was...I think this comment might be legit.

Today he stated that he was told that they want to move Ramsey and then load up picks and FAs on the offense to give McVay the tools to put together a top 5 offense again.

That makes sense to me as I stated before. It's an offensive league. It's all about keeping your QB clean and controlling the LOS so your QB can deal.

Add some athletes on D to run around and hit guys and just outscore teams.

dang

Legend
I was just thinking that when the Rams offered all those picks for McCaffrey or Burns, that back then they already planned on recouping those picks with a Ramsey offseason trade?

Cowherd, who does seem to have some source with the Rams based on past reporting on McVay retirement talk before it became a huge story and Stafford's offseason injury being serious before the Rans admitted it was...I think this comment might be legit.

Today he stated that he was told that they want to move Ramsey and then load up picks and FAs on the offense to give McVay the tools to put together a top 5 offense again.

That makes sense to me as I stated before. It's an offensive league. It's all about keeping your QB clean and controlling the LOS so your QB can deal.

Add some athletes on D to run around and hit guys and just outscore teams.
One thing the Rams aren’t under McSnead is stagnant. Always on the move. As I’ve stated before the offensive shit show they fielded last year had to eat into McVays sanity. So I’m kinda hoping they load up the OL with the best FA/Draft picks they can muster. Add OBJ and a bruiser RB. Then rock and roll on offense.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
One thing the Rams aren’t under McSnead is stagnant. Always on the move. As I’ve stated before the offensive shit show they fielded last year had to eat into McVays sanity. So I’m kinda hoping they load up the OL with the best FA/Draft picks they can muster. Add OBJ and a bruiser RB. Then rock and roll on offense.
Dangerous way to set up a team. The Whiners are already beating the shit out of us yearly by playing physical ball and we respond by trading one of our most physical players? I just don't see it. Not sure how trading Ramsey really allows us to go all in for offense so we have a top notch unit. We don't save much for this year and are asking our old vets like Stafford and Donald to essentially wait a year. The only scenario that I can think of is them getting rid of Floyd as well and backloading the shit outta contracts, but if they can do that, why can't they extend Ramsey and lower his cap hit? Also it'll really weaken our defense and create more holes than we started with which is crazy. No guarantees either that we'll get the FAs we target just like we missed out on Von Miller. I personally think we are panicking after just one bad year full of catastrophic injuries.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Paranoia has set in at ROD.

Look Spying GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fleece the Lions for #6 & #18. They owe the Rams a solid. IMO

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Basically-- do you see a scenario where the Rams trade Ramsey for draft picks, and are still serious SB contenders in 2023?
No I don't. But I don't think Ramsey affects the equation much either. Keeping him means we will be stuck with his overpaid ass which is worse.

So moving him hastens the reload.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
No I don't. But I don't think Ramsey affects the equation much either. Keeping him means we will be stuck with his overpaid ass which is worse.

So moving him hastens the reload.
Ah. Gotcha.

Guess I'll just have to spike my Kool aid with a little something extra this year...

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
This guy goes a little overboard.He forgot to mention The Hags though,they made the Playoffs.COBE Bryant was the CB I liked,but they also drafted Tariq Woolen who had an excellent season & was better.

View: https://youtu.be/LYLJKsj9lbw

The vid in the link is interesting and worth watching. Basically, the guy is saying that trading Ramsey would be a great move for the Rams. He argues that losing teams tend to invest too much cap space for one "shut down" corner. He says it's a better strategy to have several mid-level, medium-paid corners instead.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The vid in the link is interesting and worth watching. Basically, the guy is saying that trading Ramsey would be a great move for the Rams. He argues that losing teams tend to invest too much cap space for one "shut down" corner. He says it's a better strategy to have several mid-level, medium-paid corners instead.
Kind of like Snead, McDuffie, and Williams with the Chiefs.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

This is what I think we are seeing. An offseason investment in the offense.

If you can’t be elite on both sides, pick one. In this case, bet on McVay.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is what I think we are seeing. An offseason investment in the offense.

If you can’t be elite on both sides, pick one. In this case, bet on McVay.
Yeah going after Montgomery from the Bears as a player The Rams sign.