Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If he was a corner that QBs avoid we wouldn't be having this conversation. What is going on here is the team correctly sees that....

:helmet: He is paid as an elite corner QBs avoid but is no longer that level of corner.

:helmet: What happens next year if his decline continues. With corners it can come very quickly and he already looks sluggish vs some matchups.

:helmet: Timing is crucial. Why not get something for him now that hastens a reload we badly need.

IMO, the switch to the star position, which was probably needed to keep his head in the game, has affected his play as a cover CB.

I think he can still be an elite CB. He just gets bored locking down one side and loses focus. If that somehow could be fixed, he'd be back to his old self.

But, my point remains. Even paying a elite CB is probably not the investment to be made given that they can be avoided by opposing offenses and especially with so much zone coverage is being used.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There's not one particular thing you can sell me on with trading Ramsey.

He's 28, still one of the if not best CB in football. He's got several great years left.

He brings a physical presence that we lack on this team, ESPECIALLY DB. After him, we have a bunch of smaller, finesse, 3/4/5/PS dudes. Soft players. Players that can't even remotely hold up to the physicality that we see on the NFC West. Teams that already roll us.

Unless you're trading him for several first rounders or a first and another superstar, and using the freed money to sign a stud FA CB. It's dumb as hell.

It's not as if we're deep at CB and S or have another good CB and S and he's expendable. IF they trade him, DBs are depleted with little resources to rebuild.

We can talk about the players that have "been in the organization for awhile" but the reality is, they did the same shit with OL, EDGE and up until Wagner, ILB. And it's backfired.

The Rams are worse without Ramsey, and not even remotely possible to replace his talent.

The whole thing smells or mismanagement and bullshit.

We don't have a Jalen Ramsey declining problem, we have a he's massively misused in a shitty scheme problem.

Well - won’t tell you what to think,but I have a different view.

I agree with all The Value that Jalen Ramsey brings.He has been excellent for The Rams. He also gave value in the trade.

The reasons I give of why Trading Jalen Ramsey would make sense.

1 - salary cap
2- trade value(return is important) has to be right price.
3.Distraction
4.He wants to move on!!

The Rams will honor Jalen Ramsey & he needs to grow as a veteran.He IMO will be a HOF player.Those reports about a 2nd pick or 1st rd pick seem a little light in for his value?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I remember all the snark towards Jalen in the NFC divisional and Super Bowl, and all the "burnt toast" Memento after week 1. Comments calling him overrated and losing it.

Now fans of other loser teams are pining to trade for him.

Hypocrites. All of them.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
I have to think a 1st & 3rd or a valuable contributor and a 1st dependent on the value of the player.
24, 88 & DJ Wonnum

WestCoastRam

Legend
I have to think a 1st & 3rd or a valuable contributor and a 1st dependent on the value of the player.
24, 88 & DJ Wonnum

The best case scenario probably is some combination of a pick in the 20-30 range and an established player of need who could be extended (an edge, oline, etc...)

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
IMO, the switch to the star position, which was probably needed to keep his head in the game, has affected his play as a cover CB.

I think he can still be an elite CB. He just gets bored locking down one side and loses focus. If that somehow could be fixed, he'd be back to his old self.

But, my point remains. Even paying a elite CB is probably not the investment to be made given that they can be avoided by opposing offenses and especially with so much zone coverage is being used.

Yeah, today's NFL is about offense. A team is probably better off loading up their OL and adding weapons on offense, then go get some fast young dudes on D to fly around and see what happens.

KC & the Eagles built great lines around their QB and have plenty of weapons for their QBs.

Philly tried to load up their D for one yr, since they have a rookie QB contract, and the better QB still beat them.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Problem with Miami is they have no 1st - and only four total picks in the 2023 draft.
Take their 2 this yr, but then get their 1st and 2nd next yr as well since they essentially deferred the trade a yr. Maybe give them back a 6th this yr or next.

A 1st and two 2nds isn't bad. And there is always a chance they implode at the QB position next yr and it's a great #1.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Take their 2 this yr, but then get their 1st and 2nd next yr as well since they essentially deferred the trade a yr. Maybe give them back a 6th this yr or next.

A 1st and two 2nds isn't bad. And there is always a chance they implode at the QB position next yr and it's a great #1.
If you are going the blowing things up route, then sure this type of deal would be good value.

But if you trying the reload KC route, then you would need/want 2023 picks to contribute now.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If you are going the blowing things up route, then sure this type of deal would be good value.

But if you trying the reload KC route, then you would need/want 2023 picks to contribute now.
I guess I am torn about whether they can contend in 23' or not and I also want a great young QB. So having 2 #1's in 24' is the best shot to make that happen.

I want my last 10-15 yrs of coherent fandom to have a special QB to root for.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
The best case scenario probably is some combination of a pick in the 20-30 range and an established player of need who could be extended (an edge, oline, etc...)
yep, It is all speculation at this point. the 28th is a tad low, Wonnum has upside would contribute right away 6'5' 260 and gets to the QB but still not an overly established payer going into his 3rd season. The 3rd brings up the value of the low 1st and the not yet established player that would fit nicely into our system. He could do what Lewis should have

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I remember all the snark towards Jalen in the NFC divisional and Super Bowl, and all the "burnt toast" Memento after week 1. Comments calling him overrated and losing it.

Now fans of other loser teams are pining to trade for him.

Hypocrites. All of them.

What? I never called him burnt toast; hell, he’s one of my favorites.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams are at their best when they move the players who do not live up to their pay. This board had fans saying they would quit the fucking team when Goff was moved. Those same fans were all here celebrating when Stafford got the job done.

This sentiment that Ramsey is so amazing is out of touch with reality. He was that guy but not now. They won a ring in spite of him. I just hope he still has value. That we can get a good pick for him because teams watch film.

No matter how you slice it though paying a guy top money and accepting less than top level production sets a bad precedent.

And most importantly here is we have to get back to being a step ahead of the other teams. High paid corner in his early decline window... Cut bait now so you aren't left holding the bag when his decline is obvious. Right now hopefully a team will decide his issues are Morris and we get what we can for him and move on.

We Not Me. This is the way. Give me a young corner eager and willing to learn who isn't prone to freelancing to avoid exposure. Add a good safety too and let's fucking go.
Ramsey hatin' bastid! He's a tractor of cornerbacks! ~ LACHAMP46

oldnotdead

Legend
I find it interesting that the media speculation driving the trade is Ramsey himself. He wants more money and wanted a new contract which the Rams couldn't afford. That would make more sense.

A first, and second round pick and they pickup his entire contract. Otherwise the Rams could get stuck with about $10M dead cap. If they have to eat that then a second round pick in 2024 as well as a first and second this year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who's the scary guy in your new avatar? If it's a relative, I apologize in advance ... he's a very handsome man.
He was my 2nd great grand uncle Carl E. Osborne. Convicted in 1912 of being part of the Kansas City based "Black Hand" ring before World War One. He was incarcerated at Leavenworth for 8 months and died the following year at 34 years of age.

oldnotdead

Legend
Jourdan brings up a valid point. They really wanted Burns last year. So what's to stop the Rams from going back to Carolina with a straight player swap, Ramsey for Burns. The Panthers need a second CB. Burns will be playing on his 5th year option this year. The Panthers have a top 10 first round pick which they probably are going to grab a QB. But they have two second round picks one at 39. They could replace Burns in the second round.

The Rams have to be able to immediately extend Burns which will cost them about $75M over 4 years tacked on to the $16M Burns is getting now. That's a huge savings over Ramsey for a top DE.

Since Ramsey set this in motion himself it's not the same as the Rams giving up on him. It's a win win for both Panthers and Rams.

It will be interesting to see who the Rams are dealing with and how it comes out.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Moving Ramsey would likely be a huge mistake. Every player has a price, but for Ramsey, I would only move him for a very big return.

This secondary was already poor with Jalen. I'd hate to see it without him. Despite the haters, he is still playing at a high level, and I think has at least another year or two left of high level play.

If the Rams want to re-load as opposed to re-build, and I do think this core has at least another year or two left in it to contend, then moving Ramsey would likely be a step in the WRONG direction and send the wrong message to the players.

We shall see though. Maybe a team offers a high pick for him, and the Rams can draft a young elite CB. I would not hold my breath on finding another Sauce Gardiner, but a player in that vein, even if not as good, I think you have to think long and hard about taking that trade. Can you find a young CB that can lock down players now, provide more longevity, and comes on a rookie contract? Of course, then you have to hit on the pick..... Ramsey is a sure thing at a must-have position, so if the Rams do look to move him, he should have big value.
Perfectly said. We will suck without JR.