Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The difference is I have far more confidence in Reid/Bienemeny (now gone) to make the right choice in drafting and coaching Hill replacement than I do in McSnead/Raheem. The drafting has been terrible lately.
I still have confidence in their drafting, Ernest Jones, Bobby Brown and even though we all wanted Creed Humphrey, Tutu showed something last year.

With additional draft picks and some in the 1st round I believe they can regroup and reload. They just won a super bowl and picks like Nick Scott, Van Jefferson & even Brycen Hopkins were huge, so I think we can give them the benefit of the doubt as I'm anxious to see how they remodel.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
There's not one particular thing you can sell me on with trading Ramsey.

He's 28, still one of the if not best CB in football. He's got several great years left.

He brings a physical presence that we lack on this team, ESPECIALLY DB. After him, we have a bunch of smaller, finesse, 3/4/5/PS dudes. Soft players. Players that can't even remotely hold up to the physicality that we see on the NFC West. Teams that already roll us.

Unless you're trading him for several first rounders or a first and another superstar, and using the freed money to sign a stud FA CB. It's dumb as hell.

It's not as if we're deep at CB and S or have another good CB and S and he's expendable. IF they trade him, DBs are depleted with little resources to rebuild.

We can talk about the players that have "been in the organization for awhile" but the reality is, they did the same shit with OL, EDGE and up until Wagner, ILB. And it's backfired.

The Rams are worse without Ramsey, and not even remotely possible to replace his talent.

The whole thing smells or mismanagement and bullshit.

We don't have a Jalen Ramsey declining problem, we have a he's massively misused in a shitty scheme problem.
Well said. It isn't as bad because Ramsey has played great being played away from his best position, but it reminds me of Kevin Green. We traded him to Pittsburg after he had a horrible season because Chuck Knox came back and installed a 4 down lineman system which forced Green to play defensive end. Way out of position for him. So we traded him for a bag of chips and he went on to be a hall of famer. Then there was the Bus. We were going to replace him with a way better back in the first round. NOT
We trade Ramsey and there will be nothing on the back end. IT WILL give the Morris lOVERS an excuse for how lousy the D will look giving up 30 a game though.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are really only 2 CB that have a shot at stepping in for Ramsey and being a top notch CB and they're both top 10 picks so unless we're getting one of those trading Ramsey cannot make us better. People piss and moan like kids about the lack of tight coverage so we're going to trade away the only guy capable of doing that right now? Good god the whining and childish exaggerations will be unbearable in GDT's next year. We'll have a dozen bitchfest threads weekly. I wonder what the record is for the most pages in a thread on this site is. Morris thread will destroy that if we trade Ramsey.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I still have confidence in their drafting, Ernest Jones, Bobby Brown and even though we all wanted Creed Humphrey, Tutu showed something last year.

With additional draft picks and some in the 1st round I believe they can regroup and reload. They just won a super bowl and picks like Nick Scott, Van Jefferson & even Brycen Hopkins were huge, so I think we can give them the benefit of the doubt as I'm anxious to see how they remodel.
I wish I had your confidence my friend! I'll do my best to quit being a debbie downer my friend :clinkingbeer:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I don't think many of us want to see Ramsey moved. Just think most of us expect it to happen at this point.

When Snead said it was a 're-set or re-tool' and they would have to 'pay-down some of the debt' incurred, I interpreted that to mean minimal additions and signings; and the 2023 Rams would have to win with what that got and hope for much better health and some bounce-back seasons.

Now, I think I was wrong ... one might think I would be use to being wrong ... and the re-set/re-tool / paying-down-debt is clearing contracts and eating the Dead-$ in 2023, with the benefits coming in 2024.

I hate Dead-$. If Wagner is designated a pre-June release, and Ramsey is traded, those two moves alone represent $27M of Dead-$ ... that's 12% of the cap.

Don't see these moves as giving-up on 2023 but also don't think the Rams are looking to try and put-out the best team they could fit under the cap without regard to future cap implications. And that is disappointing.

I got to recalibrate my expectations ... I hate recalibrating my expectations ... like saying recalibrating though.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
There are really only 2 CB that have a shot at stepping in for Ramsey and being a top notch CB and they're both top 10 picks so unless we're getting one of those trading Ramsey cannot make us better. People piss and moan like kids about the lack of tight coverage so we're going to trade away the only guy capable of doing that right now? Good god the whining and childish exaggerations will be unbearable in GDT's next year. We'll have a dozen bitchfest threads weekly. I wonder what the record is for the most pages in a thread on this site is. Morris thread will destroy that if we trade Ramsey.
I'm interested in the 2 your are referencing here. I would assume Witherspoon. Then Gonzalez? I think this is a pretty good CB class and was hoping we would grab one anyway. When you can grab a guy like Ringo in the 3rd potentially, that's not a bad gamble at all. He definitely has some things to work on, but, starts with a good solid base with elite size. A semi under the radar guy I like is Emmanuel Forbes from Miss St. Had a really nice year and played in a very similar defense (as far as CB schemes go). This dude is a ball hawk too.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There's not one particular thing you can sell me on with trading Ramsey.
Rams are at their best when they move the players who do not live up to their pay. This board had fans saying they would quit the fucking team when Goff was moved. Those same fans were all here celebrating when Stafford got the job done.

This sentiment that Ramsey is so amazing is out of touch with reality. He was that guy but not now. They won a ring in spite of him. I just hope he still has value. That we can get a good pick for him because teams watch film.

No matter how you slice it though paying a guy top money and accepting less than top level production sets a bad precedent.

And most importantly here is we have to get back to being a step ahead of the other teams. High paid corner in his early decline window... Cut bait now so you aren't left holding the bag when his decline is obvious. Right now hopefully a team will decide his issues are Morris and we get what we can for him and move on.

We Not Me. This is the way. Give me a young corner eager and willing to learn who isn't prone to freelancing to avoid exposure. Add a good safety too and let's fucking go.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
They haven’t made the playoffs in the 2 seasons and we won the Super Bowl. Nothing is for sure in the nfl. Rams far and away won that trade as of now.

After winning that Super Bowl with Stafford, the absolute worst this trade can be viewed is as breaking even. It's impossible for us to be losers on this trade at this point.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Rams are at their best when they move the players who do not live up to their pay. This board had fans saying they would quit the fucking team when Goff was moved. Those same fans were all here celebrating when Stafford got the job done.

This sentiment that Ramsey is so amazing is out of touch with reality. He was that guy but not now. They won a ring in spite of him. I just hope he still has value. That we can get a good pick for him because teams watch film.

No matter how you slice it though paying a guy top money and accepting less than top level production sets a bad precedent.

And most importantly here is we have to get back to being a step ahead of the other teams. High paid corner in his early decline window... Cut bait now so you aren't left holding the bag when his decline is obvious. Right now hopefully a team will decide his issues are Morris and we get what we can for him and move on.

We Not Me. This is the way. Give me a young corner eager and willing to learn who isn't prone to freelancing to avoid exposure. Add a good safety too and let's fucking go.

This is the way.

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

What people also fail to realize while this upcoming season could be a transition yr, with adding a lot of youth, and then assuming they do move on from Ramsey, Floyd, and Robinson. Then along with Wagner's release, they will have something like $60M in cap room in 24'.

And while that could be smaller depending on who they sign this offseason, it doesn't include other possible salary dumps in Allen & Noteboom. So they will likley have upwards of $60M of cap room in 24'

So my point is they could clear the deck for a big offseason next yr in regards to the draft and FA abd have a loaded roster again. The wildcard is Stafford and his health and the future QB plans, but this is a destination franchise and if they have $$ to spend, they will come.

Turducken

Starter
I think the FO is trying a to accomplish a 1 year reset where we clear cap space and develop young talent for another run in 2024 (Stafford and Kupp with a couple free agent additions and maybe AD).

But next season is probably going to look like some 7-9 bullshit.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well said. It isn't as bad because Ramsey has played great being played away from his best position, but it reminds me of Kevin Green. We traded him to Pittsburg after he had a horrible season because Chuck Knox came back and installed a 4 down lineman system which forced Green to play defensive end. Way out of position for him. So we traded him for a bag of chips and he went on to be a hall of famer. Then there was the Bus. We were going to replace him with a way better back in the first round. NOT
We trade Ramsey and there will be nothing on the back end. IT WILL give the Morris lOVERS an excuse for how lousy the D will look giving up 30 a game though.
Actually I recall Greene struggling in DC Jeff Fisher's 4 man front and then left as a FA. Plan B FA back then. Saved the Rams salary so they didn't protect him and he walked. I don't recall a trade.

And yes Jeff Fisher replaced Fritz Shurmur in Robinson's last yr. Fisher came from Philly's Buddy Ryan staff after he was fired in 91.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I don’t buy for one second that the Rams’ plan is to sacrifice 2023 for the sake of 2024.
Not sacrifice, reset the course with the idea they will be better in 24' and much healthier cap wise.

23' goal, fix the cap and get to the playoffs and see what happens. 24' goal load up for a #1 seed and deep run to the SB, while maybe also locating your future QB.

Kind of what Philly did in 21' then 22'.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Not sacrifice, reset the course with the idea they will be better in 24' and much healthier cap wise.

23' goal, fix the cap and get to the playoffs and see what happens. 24' goal load up for a #1 seed and deep run to the SB, while maybe also locating your future QB.

Kind of what Philly did in 21' then 22'.
We’ll see.

With McVay, Donald and possibly Stafford all in a “year to year” mode, I’m not convinced we won’t see more of an “all in” approach again this offseason.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
We’ll see.

With McVay, Donald and possibly Stafford all in a “year to year” mode, I’m not convinced we won’t see more of an “all in” approach again this offseason.
Any "all in" moves will include adding younger players to expand the window with back loaded cap friendly deals that hit once Donald and Stafford are gone.

Kind if like adding Ramsey in 19'. A deal for that yr and the future.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Any "all in" moves will include adding younger players to expand the window with back loaded cap friendly deals that hit once Donald and Stafford are gone.

Kind if like adding Ramsey in 19'. A deal for that yr and the future.
I get it…the two approaches are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Memphis Ram

Legend
This could just be a reallocation of resources. You have a deep CB draft class and approximately $25 million per year is probably too much to play for a CB that can be thrown away from. I thought about this watching the Super Bowl where Mahomes didn't seem to have much problem moving the ball down the field vs. a secondary with 2 pretty good CBs in Slay and Bradberry.

Perhaps, the organization is getting back to that kind of money being better used on other positions (pass rusher, LT). Or maybe even 2-3 good players.

Also, the 2024 cap savings could possibly be used for 2023 simply by the structure of a contract(s). How? Remember when the team was signing players with low initial base salaries and a significant roster bonus for the following season that was guaranteed?

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I don’t see a reset 2023 happening. There is no guarantee Stafford and AD would even play (or be healthy) in 2024. May even be lesser versions of themselves by then. Same for Kupp.

Seems it is either go for it now with some smart adds while hoping for good health; or
completely tear down in 2023 (2024 maybe too) for 1-3 years away.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Actually I recall Greene struggling in DC Jeff Fisher's 4 man front and then left as a FA. Plan B FA back then. Saved the Rams salary so they didn't protect him and he walked. I don't recall a trade.

And yes Jeff Fisher replaced Fritz Shurmur in Robinson's last yr. Fisher came from Philly's Buddy Ryan staff after he was fired in 91.
your right, not traded. and wrong coach. And Allen 2 is tired of being wrong. LOL