Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This has been a helluva thread and I find myself very conflicted regarding a Ramsey trade. I suspect that I’m not alone. There seems to be no clear ‘Right’ or ‘Wrong’ answer.

My brain is reminding me that Rams REALLY value just 4 positions.

QB
LOT
WR
CB

And even his critics agree that Ramsey is still an elite CB if used properly. Cough, cough…

So, why couldn’t Rams just keep him (with a possible restructure) and address Edge, another CB, TE, and IOL with some combination of trade, FA, and draft? Frankly, I think they could and that was my hope before reading this thread.

But what if some team made an impossible-to-refuse trade offer for Ramsey? It could happen, you know, if a team on the cusp of SB contention felt it was just that one player away. Sound familiar?

In that case the Rams could acquire the ammo to draft a difference making CB with a cheap contract and so much more while keeping their own juicy 2nd and 3rd. THAT would be tempting. Sigh…

I guess there’s no ‘wrong’ answer here if Snead/McVay play their cards right and I’ll be satisfied either way.

About the fans who’ve fallen in love with Ramsey. I, too, greatly admire Ramsey and want to thank him for all he’s done for the team. But the team ALWAYS trumps any individual player in my mind. We, not me IOW. I was forced to learn that lesson decades ago.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm interested in the 2 your are referencing here. I would assume Witherspoon. Then Gonzalez? I think this is a pretty good CB class and was hoping we would grab one anyway. When you can grab a guy like Ringo in the 3rd potentially, that's not a bad gamble at all. He definitely has some things to work on, but, starts with a good solid base with elite size. A semi under the radar guy I like is Emmanuel Forbes from Miss St. Had a really nice year and played in a very similar defense (as far as CB schemes go). This dude is a ball hawk too.
Yes I'm talking about those two they're well above the rest of the class. And no Ring wouldn't be a bad guy and there are others that are good. But a team with the Rams mentality wanting to win first off doesn't trade Ramsey before the season starts, I could conceive doing it at the deadline if we falter again next year. Add to that are we going to go into next year with a gamble as our #1 CB with unproven guys in support of him? It doesn't make any sense at all, you can keep Ramsey and support him with a draft pick and coach up the other young guys and use that top pick or two on much bigger needs like a pass rusher and OL help.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
your right, not traded. and wrong coach. And Allen 2 is tired of being wrong. LOL
Knox may have been the one who decided to let him walk, but he struggled the yr before under Fisher.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This has been a helluva thread and I find myself very conflicted regarding a Ramsey trade. I suspect that I’m not alone. There seems to be no clear ‘Right’ or ‘Wrong’ answer.

My brain is reminding me that Rams REALLY value just 4 positions.

QB
LOT
WR
CB

And even his critics agree that Ramsey is still an elite CB if used properly. Cough, cough…

So, why couldn’t Rams just keep him (with a possible restructure) and address Edge, another CB, TE, and IOL with some combination of trade, FA, and draft? Frankly, I think they could and that was my hope before reading this thread.

But what if some team made an impossible-to-refuse trade offer for Ramsey? It could happen, you know, if a team on the cusp of SB contention felt it was just that one player away. Sound familiar?

In that case the Rams could acquire the ammo to draft a difference making CB with a cheap contract and so much more while keeping their own juicy 2nd and 3rd. THAT would be tempting. Sigh…

I guess there’s no ‘wrong’ answer here if Snead/McVay play their cards right and I’ll be satisfied either way.

About the fans who’ve fallen in love with Ramsey. I, too, greatly admire Ramsey and want to thank him for all he’s done for the team. But the team ALWAYS trumps any individual player in my mind. We, not me IOW. I was forced to learn that lesson decades ago.
I think a trade would be about the cap and adding premium youth...maybe a future cornerstone player. Maybe ammo to get a top QB prospect at some point.

Maybe getting a #1 this yr allows them to take a Hendon Hooker in round 2. Maybe you convert that #1 into 3 premium picks this yr with trade downs later into rd. It does open up a lot of options and cash for quality FAs that might help to protect your old franchise QB.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

I hope that is the way things turn-out. My concern is that the primary focus is cleaning-up the cap situation for 2024; and Ramsey does not get back nearly as much in draft capital as some posters anticipate.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I just read an MSN article about the Rams and Ramsey. The author (John Vaccaro) wrote the following:
"Trading Ramsey would save $25.2 million in cap space for the Rams. The move would put them under the cap, freeing them up to make some other offseason moves and should get them their first rounder in years in return."

Of course that is not at all accurate.

I'm telling you ... 80% of the football stuff out there is complete and utter trash written by total incompetents.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You have a deep CB draft class and approximately $25 million per year is probably too much to play for a CB that can be thrown away from.
If he was a corner that QBs avoid we wouldn't be having this conversation. What is going on here is the team correctly sees that....

:helmet: He is paid as an elite corner QBs avoid but is no longer that level of corner.

:helmet: What happens next year if his decline continues. With corners it can come very quickly and he already looks sluggish vs some matchups.

:helmet: Timing is crucial. Why not get something for him now that hastens a reload we badly need.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Also and btw... If I was Jalen's agent I'd be pushing him to attend an offseason speed program to allow for maybe extending his time out a bit. Get him to drop a little weight first off and then work hard on his mechanics to help shave a little time off his form when he flips his hips to run with the wideout. Because that's his biggest problem though I am not sure he can fix that.

It's either that or get him to see safety is a good route for his future.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
There is nothing uglier than a defense that can't stop a teams passing game. I would hold onto Ramsey if it were up to me.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
We’ll see.

With McVay, Donald and possibly Stafford all in a “year to year” mode, I’m not convinced we won’t see more of an “all in” approach again this offseason.
Exactly why I said this is dumb. You really think AD and Staff want to hear, yeah wait til next year, we'll be ready? Time to win is now and the hard reset will be when AD retires

F. Mulder

Starter
Could it be possible that they create the necessary cap space to complete the offseason, and not trade Ramsey at that point. Then, if they are off to a poor start in 2023, make a Ramsey trade by the deadline to a team that specifically knows they need someone like Ramsey to get closer to winning a championship. That way the Rams will still get valuable asset capital for 2024 (and maybe beyond), be rid of at least a large portion of Ramsey’s future salary impact, and at least gave 2023 an honest start without looking like you are throwing in the towel before the season even begun.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I can't pretend to know how this plays out but taking the "first-movers" comment by Rams brass into account, I think think that's the most interesting lens to look at this move through.

How will this trade make them "first-mover" and gaining an advantage on the rest of the league. A lot of people look at what the Chiefs did with Tyreek Hill and that's probably a good comp. Chiefs were able to use the money saved to bring in a number of solid mid-level contributers (MVS, JuJu, Ronald Jones) and add some nice young talent in the draft (I can't find the one-to-one correlation with the trade picks and who they drafted).

What about this way of building around your other core player (it's the QB, it's always the QB) will allow the Rams to do what others aren't? If Rams gained a competitive advantage by trading picks for star players at key positions when no one else was and when everyone else was valuing picks over players, how might gaining picks and cap space allow them a competitive advantage now when everyone and their brother now want to trade picks for players.

It's time for everyone to break out Moneyball on streaming right now. What was old is new again!

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Yep just noticed that. Hmmm send me jaelan phillips, 2024 first rounder, and 2023 2nd rounder :thinking:
LOL, we'd be lucky to just get Phillips in an offer. Seriously doubt they'd even offer him, let alone a 1st and a 2nd on top. But, I'd LOVE it :)

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
LOL, we'd be lucky to just get Phillips in an offer. Seriously doubt they'd even offer him, let alone a 1st and a 2nd on top. But, I'd LOVE it :)

I would say yes to Phillips and their 2nd this year if the cap savings made sense. But I agree the first is def added on bc of my rams homerism lol

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Could it be possible that they create the necessary cap space to complete the offseason, and not trade Ramsey at that point. Then, if they are off to a poor start in 2023, make a Ramsey trade by the deadline to a team that specifically knows they need someone like Ramsey to get closer to winning a championship. That way the Rams will still get valuable asset capital for 2024 (and maybe beyond), be rid of at least a large portion of Ramsey’s future salary impact, and at least gave 2023 an honest start without looking like you are throwing in the towel before the season even begun.
This is a much more reasonable approach. I highly suspect we'll bounce back next year if we don't trade away Ramsey and move money around elsewhere via restructures and/or trading/releasing others.