Ramsey traded to Miami for ‘23 3rd rd pick(#77 overall) and TE Hunter Long

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
They needed to trim 14.8 mil off the payroll prior to the league year (3/5). Wagner takes off 5 mil. So that leaves 9.8 mil. In a pre June trade Ramsey takes off 5.6, which leaves them 4.2.
Cutting Fuller would give them another 2.7 leaving 1.5. If Shelton opts out they save another 2.5. There are many ways around it (including restructures) but a Ramsey trade has the most affect. And of course, reporters would have that information.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We don't really need this discussion in multiple threads do we?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Per overthecap.com here are the cap savings from post June 1st trades. I believe they can designate the trade as happening after June 1 (not sure whether that still helps us get under the cap before the upcoming league deadline though).
View attachment 58924
I know they have the ability to a designate a move as a post June 1st transaction but I'm not sure of the parameters. I know it puts more dead money into the next year, which in Ramsey's case that would be 11.4 mil.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Detroit owes us a little for the Goff/Stafford trade. I love Stafford for getting us the Super Bowl but I sure felt like Detroit bent us over a bit at the time because McVay was so in love with Stafford. And Getting Goff plus the picks boosted that offense.
They haven’t made the playoffs in the 2 seasons and we won the Super Bowl. Nothing is for sure in the nfl. Rams far and away won that trade as of now.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Given his contract and what teams will have to take on, everyone here is going to be extremely disappointed in the trade return. It's a salary dump for '24, imo.

"The team that gets the CB in a trade will then essentially have a one-year, $17 million Jalen Ramsey contract on its hands. He will still be under contract for two more seasons at $18.5 million and $19.5 million, but with no dead cap if the team decides to cut him."

This horrible contract? Seems like a lot of teams would look at this contract as a benefit.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Given his contract and what teams will have to take on, everyone here is going to be extremely disappointed in the trade return. It's a salary dump for '24, imo.
I’m already disappointed that we need to discuss this seriously.:hot:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don’t know what to think and enjoyed reading these opinions.

To me Ramsey is still super elite. He is only 28 and he’s a stud out there… I am not buying into any dropoff.

His attitude sets the tone for our moxy on defense overall. That would be missed, too.

At the same time, we have too many big contracts and our cap is whack. The Rams need to deal with this and no matter the players involved it won’t feel good.

I tend to think the return on a Ramsey trade might not feel like enough to most fans.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
We don’t NEED to trade him. There are countless other ways to address our cap situation.

If we trade him, it will be to get something the team considers to be better.

That is why the “salary dump” concept is a largely a fallacy when applied to a player traded in his prime. You don’t just dump such a player solely for the sake of cap $.

Assuming there is a trade, the thing that will determine how fans react, of course, will be the perception of the deal’s immediate impact. Most big deals, though, cannot be fully evaluated right away.

Still…good fodder for a message board.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The fact that people think he's a bad CB 1 is what baffles me.
It's not that, my comments about Safety is I see him transitioning there when say he is 31 or 32. Kind of like Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson. His hitting, tackling, blitzing, and ball skill abilities could make him a premier S even after he loses a step at CB.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Per overthecap.com here are the cap savings from post June 1st trades. I believe they can designate the trade as happening after June 1 (not sure whether that still helps us get under the cap before the upcoming league deadline though).
View attachment 58924
I don't think you can designate a trade early as a June cut.

Found this in an article from an Eagles site.

Screenshot_20230225_095516_Chrome.jpg

dang

Legend
View attachment 58924
So let’s see. Bye bye Leonard, Noteboom, Wagner (boohoo), and Allen saves $46m. Now we have to have replacements and stay under the cap
Until then. that requires thinking way above my skillset because that will not be covered by the draft or by anything but FA scraps.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I will get lambasted for this, but here we go:

Ramsey was not very good during the Super Bowl run I think we can all agree there, I also was not happy the way he treated Rapp being out of position because at times Ramsey is also out of position. They are paying him a ton of money and IMO, getting a good haul for him and using the draft choices wisely can help reload the Rams, similar to the Chiefs trading Hill.

Again, the key the value, if they trade him to the Raiders and get several picks then draft Joey Porter, Jr., out of Penn State, the Rams would be on their way to reloading IMHO.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
There's not one particular thing you can sell me on with trading Ramsey.

He's 28, still one of the if not best CB in football. He's got several great years left.

He brings a physical presence that we lack on this team, ESPECIALLY DB. After him, we have a bunch of smaller, finesse, 3/4/5/PS dudes. Soft players. Players that can't even remotely hold up to the physicality that we see on the NFC West. Teams that already roll us.

Unless you're trading him for several first rounders or a first and another superstar, and using the freed money to sign a stud FA CB. It's dumb as hell.

It's not as if we're deep at CB and S or have another good CB and S and he's expendable. IF they trade him, DBs are depleted with little resources to rebuild.

We can talk about the players that have "been in the organization for awhile" but the reality is, they did the same shit with OL, EDGE and up until Wagner, ILB. And it's backfired.

The Rams are worse without Ramsey, and not even remotely possible to replace his talent.

The whole thing smells or mismanagement and bullshit.

We don't have a Jalen Ramsey declining problem, we have a he's massively misused in a shitty scheme problem.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
If they trade Ramsey the biggest need/value that they’d should get in return instantly becomes a good corner. The hole that he would leave would be big enough to drive a bus through. I don’t think a team would trade a good young corner for a good old corner with a big contract. If they traded Ramsey it will create more problems and be the start of a rebuild. Kiss a Super Bowl run goodbye. The rest of the secondary isn’t good enough as a group. There are no highly rated safeties or corners to even produce half of Jalen’s production.
Don't worry, we can play deep with the rest of the group and wait for mistakes. We don't need an all time great DB on our roster to do that.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
 I would not mind seeing Jalen begin the transition to free safety, with occasional soot duty at edge|slot corner. That way he can continue to mentor all our young DBs. Some consideration for restructuring his contract wud be necessary, of course.
What do you think they have been doing with him. The Star position intermittently uses him in a Safety type role.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams are worse without Ramsey, and not even remotely possible to replace his talent.

The whole thing smells or mismanagement and bullshit.

We don't have a Jalen Ramsey declining problem, we have a he's massively misused in a shitty scheme problem.
I don't see it that way, but the Rams have to utilize the draft choices & cap accordingly similar to what the Chiefs did after trading Tyreek Hill. Many felt the trading Hill would be their death nail, but they regrouped signed some strong free agents, made some key selections and were able to reinvent themselves offensively.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I don't see it that way, but the Rams have to utilize the draft choices & cap accordingly similar to what the Chiefs did after trading Tyreek Hill. Many felt the trading Hill would be their death nail, but they regrouped signed some strong free agents, made some key selections and were able to reinvent themselves offensively.
The difference is I have far more confidence in Reid/Bienemeny (now gone) to make the right choice in drafting and coaching Hill replacement than I do in McSnead/Raheem. The drafting has been terrible lately.