Rams vs Saints

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Honestly, we feel like we've been through it," Whitworth said. "There's really not much adversity we haven't seen all year long. I think we kind of feel like we were born for this moment and this opportunity."

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
As long as he gets a Pick Six before that, I can live with it.

Sad thing is he won't. Let's be honest. How often is he pick sixing? Or even intercepting?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
As long as he gets a Pick Six before that, I can live with it.

I’ll tell you what... If Peters can get another pick six with the nut grab part deaux that dictates a win for us when it was needed most. I will eat louisiana cuisine all month...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sad thing is he won't. Let's be honest. How often is he pick sixing? Or even intercepting?
How often has Talib been there to allow him to freelance this year? Lets also be honest that we have formed our opinion of him mostly when he was alone out there, filling in for Talib.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’ll tell you what... If Peters can get another pick six with the nut grab part deaux that dictates a win for us when it was needed most. I will eat louisiana cuisine all month...
*buys fixins for crawdad feast for SteezyEndo...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/17/saints-rams-nfc-conference-championships-nfl-playoffs

Will the Rams’ Play-Action Game Be Enough to Stifle the Saints’ Defense?
By ANDY BENOIT

On Wednesday we discussed how the Rams combatting a high-powered Saints offense begins and ends with defending All-Pro receiver Michael Thomas. Expect Los Angeles to break tendency and travel Aqib Talib with Thomas, and expect a lot of the Rams’ usual zone coverage, where speedy linebackers Mark Barron and Cory Littleton can play run and chase. John Johnson is usually the safety who plays down near the linebackers, but this week you could see free safety Lamarcus Joyner, a former cornerback, drop down to provide additional speed for covering Alvin Kamara.

The tricky part is that the Saints will often put Kamara and Thomas near one another on the field, forcing some of these Rams pass defenders to win one-on-one. It’s crucial that defensive tackle Aaron Donald show why he’s worth that $87 million guaranteed—Donald must collapse Drew Brees’s pocket.

Even if the Rams can do ALL of these things (and that’s a big IF), the offense still must post at least 30 points to have a chance. Sean McVay early on will go heavy on his staple play-action game. Behind a well-schooled offensive line, and with QB Jared Goff’s anticipation throwing and WRs Robert Woods’s and Brandin Cooks’s attention to route-running detail, Los Angeles has the most proficient play-action game in football.

It stems almost entirely from zone run looks, with either three receivers flooding one area of the field as Goff rolls out (the Rams killed Dallas with this last week), or, as you’ll see more in this game, Woods and Cooks running in-breaking routes and crossing patterns 15-plus yards downfield.

The run fakes are a great way to exploit Saints linebackers Demario Davis and Alex Anzalone, two fast-hitting attackers who will be extra amped early in the game with the Superdome crowd noise egging them on.

Beat Davis and Anzalone on a few play-action throws and you soften that No. 2-ranked Saints run defense, which the Rams MUST do. Running backs Todd Gurley, who has dominant build-up speed, and C.J. Anderson, who offers more lateral agility and short-area burst, headline Los Angeles’s offense right now.

The Rams this season are 11–0 when they rush for at least 135 yards and 3–3 when they don’t. In this game, running is extra important as it can deflate that Superdome crowd and keep Brees & Co. on the sideline.

Chance of Los Angeles upsetting New Orleans: 49%. The Superdome crowd noise could complicate the no-huddle approach the Rams rely on for checking in and out of different plays and controlling the snap-to-snap tempo.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
I'm glad the game is in a dome. The crowd noise may have a small effect, but I think it will be insignificant (I hope). I'd be more worried if the Rams had to play in a place like Green Bay or Chicago with the weather predictions. It's supposed to be colder than a witch's titty in KC on Sunday.

RamWoodie

Legend
My main concern is the same as the Dallas game:

What is Wade Phillips gonna do to slow down the Saints???

The Ram defense cannot take a half to figure things out!!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My main concern is the same as the Dallas game:

What is Wade Phillips gonna do to slow down the Saints???

The Ram defense cannot take a half to figure things out!!!
On the other hand, what will the Saints do to stop their slow starts? They have been sluggish early in the last few games, which they can't afford to do against the Rams...

RamWoodie

Legend
On the other hand, what will the Saints do to stop their slow starts? They have been sluggish early in the last few games, which they can't afford to do against the Rams...
No doubt...but still...the Rams defense has too many times this season, needed a half or less to get going.

That's why I'm concerned. If the Saints are sluggish and the Ram D' is all over them...THE BETTER I LIKE IT!

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
I thought I was anxious last week, man I don't about you guys but I'm going crazy, why does the week have to be so long? And it's gonna be even worse if we go to the bowl, I'll have 2 weeks to analyze and agonize
THAT'S the beauty of it. Learn it. Love it. Live it. :D

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/19/nfl-rams-saints-nfc-title-game-bold-predictions/

4 bold predictions for Rams vs. Saints
By: Andrew Ortenberg

1. Aaron Donald will have multiple sacks
The last time these two teams met back in Week 9, Donald was held without a sack, but he came close a few times. He landed four hits on Drew Brees, which were the only quarterback hits the Rams’ pass rush had all game. Brees escaped Donald’s grasp narrowly, but won’t be as lucky this time around.

The Saints will throw everything they can at Donald to slow him down, but it won’t matter. He’ll get home and finish this time, and plant Brees into the ground at least twice. Pressure right up the middle is the only way to slow Brees down, and Donald will make sure to provide it in the biggest game of his career.

2. Drew Brees will throw an interception to Marcus Peters, and Jared Goff won’t have any turnovers
In the Week 9 game, Brees didn’t have a turnover, but Goff had a costly one. Goff threw an interception deep in Rams territory just before halftime that led to an easy Saints touchdown and was arguably the difference in the game. This time around, it’ll be Brees throwing the costly interception while Goff plays a clean game.

Goff was sloppy with the ball at times this season, including a three game stretch following the Rams’ bye where he threw six interceptions, but he greatly improved his ball security down the stretch. He’s now gone without an interception in three straight games, and appears to have fixed whatever was plaguing his decision making. Against this weak Saints secondary, he won’t make any crucial mistakes.

Brees, on the other hand, will have a more difficult matchup. Aqib Talib wasn’t playing the first time these teams met, and his presence will make life much more difficult for Brees and the Saints’ passing attack. After only throwing one interception in his first ten games this season, Brees has now thrown a pick in five of his last six starts. Not only will he throw one here, but it’ll be caught by Peters, who will get his revenge on Asshole Face.

3. C.J. Anderson will have yet another 100-plus-yard rushing game
Todd Gurley should be back to full strength and ready to take over more touches, but Anderson will deliver his fourth straight 100-plus-yard rushing performance. It’ll be a tough task against a stout Saints run defense, but the matchup is made a lot easier by the absence of Sheldon Rankins, New Orleans’ stud defensive tackle who tore his Achilles in their win over the Eagles.

Anderson has averaged over five yards per carry in every game he’s played as a Ram, and his remarkable efficiency will continue here even if he doesn’t play as much as he did last week. Anderson has played in plenty of huge games in his career thanks to his Super Bowl runs with the Broncos, so he won’t be phased by the big stage. Nothing can slow down Anderson right now, and he’ll keep things rolling here.

4. The Rams will win by double digits
The Rams won’t just become the first road team since the 2012 season to win a conference championship game, they’ll do it easily. Sean McVay and Wade Phillips will make the proper adjustments on both sides of the ball, and the Rams will come out ready to roll.

The Saints didn’t look very good against the Eagles, and very easily could’ve lost if not for a few balls bouncing their way. The Rams will get up early just like Philadelphia did, but they won’t blow the lead. Donald will get the pressure up the middle to throw Brees off his game, and Ndmaukong Suh and Dante Fowler Jr. will carry over their strong performances from the divisional round. They’ll shock everyone and win this game by multiple scores.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
First, we suffered constant major concerns throughout this season with franchised priced tagged $11.3 million High Safety Lamarcus Joyner. LJ has not impressed many this season. I have heartburn often... when watching him in coverage.

Then we finally discovered by week four :shocked:why KC jumped on the Rams offer of two draft selections (one was a 2018 2nd round pick) for the wonderful opportunity to:sadwalk: have a solid playing starting corner to play man coverage:shocking:. Talk about being ripped off:mad:. At best Snead traded for an average zone coverage starting corner who plays like a young rookie who starting his first NFL game each & every week. On top of that, he has a great passion :love:for seeing yellow laundry thrown in his direction. Peters did bring with him his mastery (y)in talking trash:blah: to anyone who will listen.

Rams even picked up Peters 5th year this upcoming season :fuelfire:to have the once again opportunity to enjoy more of the same, but this time Rams will get to pay Peters over $9 million for these services:palm:.

This Sunday, I know one thing for sure that HC Payton will purposely get his best offensive weapon (Thomas #13) lined up as much as possible on either Joyner or Peters or both:headexplosion:, most of the game:death:.

Snead has done a great job :bow:on most of his moves & decisions he's made the last few seasons, but this Peters issue needs to be addressed ASAP. This Sunday might put this in motion..... Peters needs to be held accountable.:huh:

I’m going out on a limb & disagree on Peters.I think he will have a good game this weekend.
He has not been very good , but with Talib out there he is a different player.His head is on straight going into the game & is highly motivated.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/19/nfl-rams-saints-nfc-title-game-bold-predictions/

4 bold predictions for Rams vs. Saints
By: Andrew Ortenberg

1. Aaron Donald will have multiple sacks
The last time these two teams met back in Week 9, Donald was held without a sack, but he came close a few times. He landed four hits on Drew Brees, which were the only quarterback hits the Rams’ pass rush had all game. Brees escaped Donald’s grasp narrowly, but won’t be as lucky this time around.

The Saints will throw everything they can at Donald to slow him down, but it won’t matter. He’ll get home and finish this time, and plant Brees into the ground at least twice. Pressure right up the middle is the only way to slow Brees down, and Donald will make sure to provide it in the biggest game of his career.

2. Drew Brees will throw an interception to Marcus Peters, and Jared Goff won’t have any turnovers
In the Week 9 game, Brees didn’t have a turnover, but Goff had a costly one. Goff threw an interception deep in Rams territory just before halftime that led to an easy Saints touchdown and was arguably the difference in the game. This time around, it’ll be Brees throwing the costly interception while Goff plays a clean game.

Goff was sloppy with the ball at times this season, including a three game stretch following the Rams’ bye where he threw six interceptions, but he greatly improved his ball security down the stretch. He’s now gone without an interception in three straight games, and appears to have fixed whatever was plaguing his decision making. Against this weak Saints secondary, he won’t make any crucial mistakes.

Brees, on the other hand, will have a more difficult matchup. Aqib Talib wasn’t playing the first time these teams met, and his presence will make life much more difficult for Brees and the Saints’ passing attack. After only throwing one interception in his first ten games this season, Brees has now thrown a pick in five of his last six starts. Not only will he throw one here, but it’ll be caught by Peters, who will get his revenge on Asshole Face.

3. C.J. Anderson will have yet another 100-plus-yard rushing game
Todd Gurley should be back to full strength and ready to take over more touches, but Anderson will deliver his fourth straight 100-plus-yard rushing performance. It’ll be a tough task against a stout Saints run defense, but the matchup is made a lot easier by the absence of Sheldon Rankins, New Orleans’ stud defensive tackle who tore his Achilles in their win over the Eagles.

Anderson has averaged over five yards per carry in every game he’s played as a Ram, and his remarkable efficiency will continue here even if he doesn’t play as much as he did last week. Anderson has played in plenty of huge games in his career thanks to his Super Bowl runs with the Broncos, so he won’t be phased by the big stage. Nothing can slow down Anderson right now, and he’ll keep things rolling here.

4. The Rams will win by double digits
The Rams won’t just become the first road team since the 2012 season to win a conference championship game, they’ll do it easily. Sean McVay and Wade Phillips will make the proper adjustments on both sides of the ball, and the Rams will come out ready to roll.

The Saints didn’t look very good against the Eagles, and very easily could’ve lost if not for a few balls bouncing their way. The Rams will get up early just like Philadelphia did, but they won’t blow the lead. Donald will get the pressure up the middle to throw Brees off his game, and Ndmaukong Suh and Dante Fowler Jr. will carry over their strong performances from the divisional round. They’ll shock everyone and win this game by multiple scores.

1. Matt Longacre was starting in the first game. There is a reason Dante Fowler was traded for. He has improved along with the D”Line since then. Peat hurting hand might cause a match up problem. I think Wade changes his game plan this week.

2. I’m also thinking Peters has a big game. He got flagged a few times on questionable calls.I think his mind set is excellent right now. That is usually never the case ? Showing some Maturity. — Goff vs Bree’s ? Hard call, I think Brees is still the man !!

3. CJ Anderson might be the deciding factor.The way The Rams ran the ball last week was very impressive.Then again NE looked good, and Ingram & Kamara are always tough ? My question is Gurley’s health ?? Hopefully the turf is some what forgiving.When healthy Gurley is flat awesome.Pure power football.

4. The Saints were impressive after being down by 14. Hard call to say The Rams win by double digits, but I’ll take a Rams victory how ever it comes about !!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ints-klein-on-rams-we-knew-wed-see-them-again

Saints' Klein on Rams: 'We knew we'd see them again'
  • By Herbie Teope
  • Around The NFL Writer

METAIRIE, La. -- Week 9's matchup between the New Orleans Saints and Los Angeles Rams provided an unofficial preview of Sunday's NFC Championship Game.

Various media members and even fans predicted the two teams would meet again for the right to play in Super Bowl LIII. And perhaps to no surprise, some Saints players apparently felt the same way after New Orleans took down the previously undefeated Rams, 45-35, at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

"You could kind of feel it -- that could be the NFC Championship Game if we both handled our business," running back Mark Ingram said. "So, we both handled our business and here we go again."

Linebacker A.J. Klein agreed.

"We kind of had the idea that we'd see them again," Klein said. "After that game being a shootout the way it was, we got a game up on them as far as the in-conference battle. I don't want to say I foresaw this matchup happening, but we knew we'd see them again at some point."

The Saints produced a 13-3 record in the regular season, won the NFC North and clinched the No. 1 seed in the postseason. The Rams also finished with a 13-3 record, won the NFC West and secured the No. 2 seed.

Quarterback Drew Brees compared the 2018 season to 2009, when the Saints won the Super Bowl. The Saints were then on a collision course with the Minnesota Vikings toward the NFC Championship Game, and Brees said he and his teammates were monitoring what was going on with the Vikingsthroughout the season.

This time around, Brees' occasional focus fell on Sunday's opponent.

"As we looked across the league and saw what the Rams were doing and the success that they were having," Brees said. "They're [a] phenomenal team and they had a great season.

"Obviously, we played them midseason and it was a hard-fought game on both sides of the ball. But I think we had a feeling then that obviously we aspired to be in this situation and we all had a feeling that they were going to be the team that we might face again. So, here we are."

Needless to say, the NFC has the best-case scenario for the playoffs featuring the two best conference teams, and the numbers don't lie.

The Rams' and Saints' offenses were two of the top units in the league the past season, with the Ramsranking second in points per game (32.9) and the Saints finishing third (31.5). The Saints and Ramswere also the only two teams in the league to score 30-plus passing touchdowns, 20-plus rushing touchdowns and produce a plus-140-point differential and plus-400-yard differential.

When it comes to opponents, both teams didn't take an easy route to the postseason. The Saints went 4-1, including the playoffs, against teams advancing beyond the regular season, while the Ramsposted a 5-3 mark. The three losses the Rams suffered came at the hands of the Saints, Philadelphia Eagles and Chicago Bears, while the Saints' loss came against the Dallas Cowboys.

Still, defensive end Alex Okafor said he personally didn't track every week what the Rams were doing on the West Coast, preferring to place most of his focus on his team and helping to control what they could.

But Okafor ultimately conceded he would peek every now and then to see how the race for the No. 1 seed was going, which the Saints clinched in Week 16.

The scenarios, of course, set the table for Sunday's game.

"We could kind of see from a distance that's what it was coming toward: us versus the Rams," Okafor said. "We were both in first place at the time, so it only made sense.

"And, honestly, I think that's what the people want, as well. It's going to be exciting on Sunday. I think everybody here is revved up about this game, and it's why you play it. It's going to be bright lights."

A desirable matchup featuring two elite teams under the glare of bright lights, indeed.

El caliente

Rookie
Name
Andrew
It’s wild, because like in 2009 the team the Saints are playing (for all intents and purposes) were better than us, but we won on a field goal.

I think it will play out the same way tomorrow. We might not be the better team, but Sean has done more with less.