Rams trade for Austin Corbett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
As some of you guys remember, my nephew Austin Paulhus was a teammate of Corbett’s at Nevada. They were the only two Austin’s on the team, so they had a little bond.

I went to 2 games their senior year, and got to see Corbett play well. He was somewhat dominant at that level. And I saw him up close a little bit in some after game mixing with the players.

Reno is a small enough school that there is a bit less formal process and security than you might get at a big school. It’s kind of cool. Parents and family wait as the players file out, and can interact for a bit before they head into the locker room. I remember seeing Malik Reed, and thinking- damn! That dude looks huge.

The two Austin’s graduated together in ‘17 and were two of only five guys to display their skills at the teams Pro Day.

It was a ridiculous day. Three feet of snow on the field, and they carved out about a six foot wide path for the guys to run their ‘40s.

our Austin was a linebacker and did very well his senior year, making HM all-mountain west. (I was able to meet @RamFan503 and his lovely wife at a game against Air Force in which Austin recovered a fumble and has 23 tackles!)

He was really hoping a team would give him a shot, but it didn’t happen.

it was even exciting as it led up to pro day, as my brother in law told me that there were supposed to be Ram scouts at the pro-day! Could it be?! My nephew drafted by my Rams?
After all, there was a need. We needed inside linebackers and Austin was a tackling machine.

But my excitement was misplaced. Aaron Kromer and his Oline staff traveled in the snow to Reno to see the OTHER Austin.

Guys, I believe we would have drafted Corbett if he lasted to the third round. Kromer sees some potential here.
Cool story and info, thanks for posting.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The thing is - what the heck was the lady thinking.

It almost looks like she purposely ran the child into the pole.
I was just considering that to all fit into natural selection somehow - and not in the negative way that some may be considering :)

fearsomefour

Legend
As some of you guys remember, my nephew Austin Paulhus was a teammate of Corbett’s at Nevada. They were the only two Austin’s on the team, so they had a little bond.

I went to 2 games their senior year, and got to see Corbett play well. He was somewhat dominant at that level. And I saw him up close a little bit in some after game mixing with the players.

Reno is a small enough school that there is a bit less formal process and security than you might get at a big school. It’s kind of cool. Parents and family wait as the players file out, and can interact for a bit before they head into the locker room. I remember seeing Malik Reed, and thinking- damn! That dude looks huge.

The two Austin’s graduated together in ‘17 and were two of only five guys to display their skills at the teams Pro Day.

It was a ridiculous day. Three feet of snow on the field, and they carved out about a six foot wide path for the guys to run their ‘40s.

our Austin was a linebacker and did very well his senior year, making HM all-mountain west. (I was able to meet @RamFan503 and his lovely wife at a game against Air Force in which Austin recovered a fumble and has 23 tackles!)

He was really hoping a team would give him a shot, but it didn’t happen.

it was even exciting as it led up to pro day, as my brother in law told me that there were supposed to be Ram scouts at the pro-day! Could it be?! My nephew drafted by my Rams?
After all, there was a need. We needed inside linebackers and Austin was a tackling machine.

But my excitement was misplaced. Aaron Kromer and his Oline staff traveled in the snow to Reno to see the OTHER Austin.

Guys, I believe we would have drafted Corbett if he lasted to the third round. Kromer sees some potential here.
Very cool.

fearsomefour

Legend
I couldn't disagree more. His problem is lack of lateral quickness. He's a decent pass blocker when he can engage straight up. At OG his lack of lateral quickness wouldn't be as exposed. He'd be playing in the proverbial phone booth. Rob's forte has been his run blocking. He would be an asset at OG in that regard. Look at how many run plays were ruined because Noteboom in his inexperience was unsure of what block to make or late with his block leaving him out of position. IMO had Rob been LG those plays might have worked well.

Rob was put out at RT out of necessity, he was looked at to play OG and many evaluators pre-draft felt he was best inside. They are paying him $8.3M this year. and signed through 2022. Next year he will be making $7.8M and they can't release him until 2021 due to his dead cap charge. He got away with it last year because of the lower level of competition during the regular season. It's clear he can't continue to play at RT. Moving him inside is the best and perhaps only option.

In all fairness it's not like there weren't signs. It's why I've been saying all along he would likely be gone after 2020 and assumed Edwards was the heir apparent. Well they have to do something and moving him inside to LG makes the most sense.
I was talking about GRob.
Anyway, the only concern with Havenstein is playing with enough bend inside.
Nothing to really indicate he couldn’t other than his size.
Anyway, I was mistakenly talking about GRob I’m Cleveland....but....that would best case of Edwards develops to play RT and Hav can transition inside.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
The thing is - what the heck was the lady thinking.

It almost looks like she purposely ran the child into the pole.

Haha I know right? Does she not have any spacial awareness at all? "My son is holding my left hand and this pole is on my left. Should work out ok."

MachS

Hall of Fame
Just to show how absolutely dire it is that Corbett plays well immediately..check this out:

@evansilva
#Rams starting offensive line pass-blocking ratings per @PFF:

LT Andrew Whitworth 32nd/75 OTs
LG Jamil Demby 76th/77 OGs
C Brian Allen 31st/33 Cs
RG Austin Blythe 72nd/77 OGs
RT Rob Havenstein 74th/75 OTs

I mean that is flat out embarrassing. Wtf is Kromer doing honestly?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Wtf is Kromer doing honestly?
Working with a bunch of young mid round draft picks and an aging left tackle.

The only rookies I've ever seen that were ready to go out of the box were first and second round draft picks that were inserted between two veterans.

I know these guys are second year players and I was certainly hoping for more from Kromer personally as well.

Last edited:

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I dont think Corbett can do any worse than Demby or Boom these next couple games. Demby and Boom faced top ranked defensive fronts, Corbett will face terrible fronts until we meet the Steelers. And I dont even know if they're front is that good. Great time for him to learn the system.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
wLeEhww.gif
Haha I know right? Does she not have any spacial awareness at all? "My son is holding my left hand and this pole is on my left. Should work out ok."
:ROFLMAO:

Guys. It’s simple. This video is of Natalia Van der Schluten,
Member of the 2004 Austrian national team.

5FC39841-E147-424C-93C4-3DFA3F936D45.jpeg

Slalom is in her blood.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Really curious what the plan is here. Can AC play immediately? Don't get me wrong, glad we made some trades on the defense, but we truly need help on the OL, otherwise the season will be for nothing.

Wonder if we have any additional trades coming up...

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
We had to make this transition with the OLine sooner than later — we are paying the price now. Then you mix in injuries to Noteboom and it just makes things worse. I trust in Kromer.

But is there anyway we sign John Sullivan?? He’s available.......

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
We had to make this transition with the OLine sooner than later — we are paying the price now. Then you mix in injuries to Noteboom and it just makes things worse. I trust in Kromer.

Honestly, at this point, I'd love to have him back. He knows the offense too, which is an added bonus.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

They might have brought Corbett to compete with Brian Allen at Center...Corbett is bigger at 6'4 and might hold up better at the point of attack. Hoping to see Edwards at LG against the Falcons as my stomach can't take anymore of Jamil Demby.

Joe Noteboom was the one OL I did not want to lose and it's because of Brian Allen (friendly fire) the Rams lost him. Still believe need some tackle depth if the Rams can find one and with the addition of Corbett they might release Shelton or Corbett could play LG too.

fearsomefour

Legend

I got crucified for suggesting this during the preseason.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My thoughts here on what Kromer may be thinking here..........

2nd yr OL'er Austin Corbett is best suited to playing LG for him with Corbett's secondary post being center. Kromer has 2nd yr players Coleman Shelton & Jeremiah Kolone as his reserve centers.

Corbett will join the current starter @ LG first yr OL'er Jamil Demby & the probable future starting LT rookies David Edwards & Bobby Evans to compete on who will be the starting LG to strengthen this very weak OL. New arrival Corbett will give Kromer the option of keeping OT David Edwards as his game day swing OT reserve which is very important. This Keeps David Edwards tight under Andre Whitworth's tutoring & learning his future starting post in the NFL his main focus.

Corbett
has 14 NFL games of experience with one start. Demby has 6 NFL gms with one start. Edwards has 6 NFL games of experience with zero starts. Edwards did start 3 pre season gms @ LT & RT.

Kromer has a serious amount of inexperienced OL'ers in his unit. But even his three experienced OL'ers are not as effective as in 2017/2018. Kromer could still use an experienced effective starting RG in the worse way ......looks like Kromer/Dickerson will have to develop a starting RG from what he currently has signed.