Rams trade for Austin Corbett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I am all on board with your ideal on going after a starting center with our first selection on the 2nd day of the draft.

Obvious signing a LT @ the age of Whitworth is not a big gamble as long as Noteboom rehabbing of his reconstructed knee does not suffer any setbacks. The price tag of that AW signing is going to be the issue. I think it is unreal to think he is going to return to the Rams @ a reasonable cost.

The signing of a well past his prime LT or just one season might cost the Rams the chance of inking a Cory Littleton or a Dante Fowler to a long term contract. IMO that's not smart!

If OT Bobby Evans continues to improve then the thought of trading Havenstein to a team with a QB who is not an easy target in the pocket is probable but the draft selection would be a 3rd day selection not a second day.

I am going to wait & see what Blythe does the rest the season starting at center.

You may be speaking to someone else since you didn't quote, but because you followed up my post, I have to assume it may have been directed towards me.

First, no, ... I don't have us going after a starting Center with our first day 2 pick. I'm reserving my first pick (2'nd round) in the draft for a 5T DE/DT to replace Brockers.
The Rams have good competition set for 2020 at Center, even with Blythe leaving, ... but i'll add to that competition with a 3'rd or 4'th round Center/OG. I'd actually use an additional 3'rd round pick at OT prior should the BPA cards fall that way, someone who will one day back-up Noteboom following Whitworth's departure after the 2020 season. Because of the way Whitworth's contract was structured this season, his CAP was a staggering $16,659,168. If we re-sign him for one year, that CAP gets cut nearly in half, and that may make it feasible to re-sign Littleton. I've already forgotten about Fowler returning because of our own quality depth at the position. I think Whitworth just might be willing to take one last crack at the Super Bowl next year.
If you look at Havensein's age, previous body of work and his current contract, I believe a round 3 draft pick is very reasonable to expect as compensation. He's signed for 3 more years at under $8.mil per, that's a very good price going forward.

jmo.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Wow. This post is so optimistic I fear my head might explode.

Hey, I’d love for the Rams to save money and have room to sign their pricey FA’s on D. But prior to the Bears game, it seemed like everyone was assuming the whole OL would have to get blown up for 2020.

Two weeks ago, Blythe was considered an experiment that failed badly. Now he’s a viable starting OC?

Two weeks ago, Corbett was known as the guy that sorry-azz Browns fans considered their worst bust of the decade. Now he’s a competent LG?

Two weeks ago, Evans was considered a raw rookie that looked almost Demby-like in preseason. Now he’s so solid he could make Hav expendable?

Hey, I’m all for optimism... I just don’t know what the heck to expect anymore from this OL.

As a patterns guy, I don’t see any single pattern. Rather I see a data set that could resolve in two very polar outcomes.

I’ve already explored the super negative possibility. Mostly, I’m acknowledging that the super positive outcome is also possible which didn’t seem possible and couldn’t be known prior to the performance of this OL versus the Bears.

I think the outcome will be a bit of a mixed bag and I still have no idea if any of this will translate into wins, but this is maybe the first time this season that I see the potential for our OL situation to resolve positively.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My friend of a friend (Rams insider) said they think brewer is a diamond in the rough.

Really? If that's the case did they keep Demby over Brewer because Demby knew the offense better?

Heard it from a friend who
Heard it from another you been messin' around

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My friend of a friend (Rams insider) said they think brewer is a diamond in the rough.

Really? If that's the case did they keep Demby over Brewer because Demby knew the offense better?

Heard it from another you been messin' around

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ENCM70xr0&frags=pl%2Cwn

This friend of his is calling Brewer a piece of uncompressed carbon ? How dare he. o_O

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA3Royf9_zM&frags=pl%2Cwn

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
You mean like Edwards, Evans and Corbett have? They can't afford to keep losing games because of poor o-line play. Last week we all saw something that has been missing all year. Those young guys moved the LOS and opened gaps Gurley hasn't seen all year.

Injuries and bad play have forced their hand. It's clear from the draft they intended to completely remake the o-line next year. All I'm saying is that they can't wait. They need to play their best guys now, regardless. Their original plan has failed and the fans are going ape shit. Shelton can't play worse than Blythe.

I talk about moving Evans inside because that is where he actually belongs. Playing him outside IMO was an expedient move due to having to make a move. But Evans is built like an NFL OG while Edwards is built like an NFL OT. Edwards has a bigger play radius, making him more of a natural OT and his height makes it more difficult to gain leverage inside. I firmly believe Edwards was drafted to replace Havenstein in 2021 but Rob's poor play and injury has accelerated those plans. Also I believe that Evans was originally drafted to replace Saffold but they started Noteboom a second year player at LG to give him experience before replacing Whit at LT next year. BTW we have seen Noteboom play LT last year and he was completely solid. He's just not an OG which has a different skill set and a position he's never played.

If the Rams really do mean playing the best guys then in this case it's not Blythe and Havenstein. Blythe has not been solid at center like some would love to believe. Teams will target him as the obvious weak link like they did when he played RG. If he can't block at OG he won't suddenly improve at Center. During his pre-draft evaluations, scouts noted he seemed to have poor field vision and field awareness causing mental lapses. These very issues plague his play to this day. This guy was deemed a backup talent then and he's only validated that evaluation in his play. Playing him at center wiil play to his weaknesses and will exacerbate his problems, as a center must have good vision, field awareness and must be mentally sharp on every play.

The play of Corbett, Edwards and Evans showed their scouting of them was spot on. They need to have faith that it's the same with Shelton and they need to play him. If not IMO it's only a matter of time before Blythe blows a block and gets Goff hurt. It almost happened in the Steeler game with Blythe at Center.
Oldnotdead, my previous post may have sounded a bit grouchier than intended, sorry about that my man. I appreciate your scouting reports about our OL.

I’ll take your word for it on our OL guys THIS year. Agreed, Blythe and Hav both looked bad this year. Edwards has shown a lot of promise, and Evans a bit too (very small sample size though).

My main quibble was regarding your projections for NEXT year. Especially, frankly, Noteboom. I thought Boom looked rock solid last year, and I’ve been shocked that he played so poorly in 2019. Is it all because of the switch from LT to LG? Or was he not ready for prime time? I could see Boom as a great LT... or a total bust. Just a lot of uncertainty with Noteboom now.

Also... just from a media relations standpoint, I don’t think the Rams can entertain the possibility of opening 2020 with five guys on OL on their rookie contracts. That would mean they are making a big gamble on underpaying their OL... for the second year in a row.

We still have six more games to see what these young guys can do. But I’ll prepare to be surprised... totally amazing to me that some guys (Boom and Hav for example) can look rock solid one year and then subpar the next.

Go Ramos

Last edited: