Rams trade for Austin Corbett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
So I'm seeing Rumors that we are trying to get Trent Williams....

interesting

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Browns should trade for Williams. When you invest in a #1 in a QB you should do everything in your power to help him succeed. A mistake the Rams made with Bradford but luckily did not with Goff under McVay.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Browns didn’t even want him so can’t say I’ll get too hyped over this until I see results.
Dude, it's the Browns and they're starting Greg Robinson at LT....
wLeEhww.gif

fearsomefour

Legend
I dunno. Rob is strong and was one of the best run blocking ROTs in the NFL. He always had trouble with speed and I also think that the way defenses are scheming our OL has our entire OL kinda lost and they'll recover once they are given some schematic answers. Same with Allen. There are times he's got to pick up a guy who's swimming from the B gap and with the LG pulling, he's in a no win situation.

Again, that's scheme. Not saying guys are playing well, but it's a witches brew of issues, not just the guys playing badly.
I agree about the multiple causes.
I got lost in the thread.
I was talking about Robinson the Browns and our ex LT. Was reading about the Browns G we acquired and my tired brain did some gymnastics are somehow decided the “Rob” was G Rob.....not sure why.
Anyway......
Havenstein moving inside would help with having to deal with pure speed rushers outside. Not sure he can play with enough bend to keep leverage. You don’t often see G or C with height for this reason.
Maybe he could, don’t know.

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
He was a bust in Cleveland according to the local media. Here's hoping McVay can persuade him to play to his fullest potential. He still is a great coach and I'm convinced he can.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would the browns give up so quickly on a high pick when their OL really isn't all that?
Could be as simple as scheme fit. Was he a fit for their scheme when he was drafted and not with Kitchens offense now? Keep in mind he wasn't OC to start last year. It also could be that they wanted him for a tackle gave him all the reps there and moved him in or vice versa. It's hard to tell, some Browns fans say he was decent and some say he's terrible. We've had players get the same reviews from us and turn out good elsewhere then we've had guys like TruJo that everybody was pissed we let walk and he's a hot mess now.

oldnotdead

Legend
The weakness Rob has at T would get him totally destroyed at G.

I couldn't disagree more. His problem is lack of lateral quickness. He's a decent pass blocker when he can engage straight up. At OG his lack of lateral quickness wouldn't be as exposed. He'd be playing in the proverbial phone booth. Rob's forte has been his run blocking. He would be an asset at OG in that regard. Look at how many run plays were ruined because Noteboom in his inexperience was unsure of what block to make or late with his block leaving him out of position. IMO had Rob been LG those plays might have worked well.

Rob was put out at RT out of necessity, he was looked at to play OG and many evaluators pre-draft felt he was best inside. They are paying him $8.3M this year. and signed through 2022. Next year he will be making $7.8M and they can't release him until 2021 due to his dead cap charge. He got away with it last year because of the lower level of competition during the regular season. It's clear he can't continue to play at RT. Moving him inside is the best and perhaps only option.

In all fairness it's not like there weren't signs. It's why I've been saying all along he would likely be gone after 2020 and assumed Edwards was the heir apparent. Well they have to do something and moving him inside to LG makes the most sense.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The guy has been nothing but a bust in Cleveland.

Maybe he will provide us with some more dependable depth in the future. Maybe. But that's about it.

If you've watched this guy play in the pros, you know not to get your hopes up.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The guy has been nothing but a bust in Cleveland.

Maybe he will provide us with some more dependable depth in the future. Maybe. But that's about it.

If you've watched this guy play in the pros, you know not to get your hopes up.

He was a disappointment in Cleveland because he was played at left tackle instead of at guard. The system didn't fit either; Cleveland runs a power-blocking scheme when Corbett fits a zone-blocking scheme.

Corbett won't be the first player to benefit from a change in scenery and a system that fits him.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
At best they get a low 3 for him in 2021 if they don't do anything and he reports by the last day, I think it's the Monday of Week 11 so he gets credit for this season.

I think they're trying to wrangle a two or multiple picks and I think Cleveland and the Rams are ramping up slowly.

Could be wrong, could only be Cleveland and they are gonna make Trent wait in a spiteful move to prevent him from earning two game checks... Seems like what Snyder and by extension the Washington FO would do... what a dumpster fire...

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Austin Corbett NFL Draft 2018: Scouting Report for Cleveland Browns' Pick
MATT MILLERAPRIL 27, 20180

Nevada offensive lineman Austin Corbett (73) during the second half of the Arizona Bowl NCAA college football game against Colorado State, Tuesday, Dec. 29, 2015, in Tucson, Ariz. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri)

Rick Scuteri/Associated Press
POSITIVES
—Three-year starter at left tackle but played both center and guard at the Senior Bowl.
—Scouts raved about his football IQ and awareness. Considered NFLready.
—Overall good athlete with the right build (6'4", 306 lbs) to play anywhere from left guard to right tackle in the NFL.
—Lateral agility is great, and he plays with the burst and body control to be exceptional as a pulling guard.
—One scout called him a finesse player, but the tape shows a finisher with a mean mentality in the run game.
—Can lock on and drive linebackers in the run.
—Experience at left tackle gave him a developed kick-slide and mirror.

NEGATIVES
—Arm length is average for a tackle prospect (33 ⅛").
—Bench-press numbers at the combine (19 reps) were well-below the NFL threshold.
—Surrenders his chest to long-armed defenders.
—Can be set up by double moves and will get caught off balance in his set.

OVERALL
Every team likes Austin Corbett's versatility and experience. The key to his draft slot will be how franchises view his shorter arms and lack of strength. He still projects as an early starter, but more so as a left guard than a tackle.

GRADE: 6.95 (Round 2)
PRO PLAYER COMPARISON: Joel Bitonio, Cleveland Browns

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769355-austin-corbett-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report-for-cleveland-browns-pick

He was a T in college but projected as a G in the pros.
Quick feet and athletic. Good for a zone scheme.
Do you know if he played C with the Browns?
Could be as simple as scheme fit. Was he a fit for their scheme when he was drafted and not with Kitchens offense now? Keep in mind he wasn't OC to start last year. It also could be that they wanted him for a tackle gave him all the reps there and moved him in or vice versa. It's hard to tell, some Browns fans say he was decent and some say he's terrible. We've had players get the same reviews from us and turn out good elsewhere then we've had guys like TruJo that everybody was pissed we let walk and he's a hot mess now.

As some of you guys remember, my nephew Austin Paulhus was a teammate of Corbett’s at Nevada. They were the only two Austin’s on the team, so they had a little bond.

I went to 2 games their senior year, and got to see Corbett play well. He was somewhat dominant at that level. And I saw him up close a little bit in some after game mixing with the players.

Reno is a small enough school that there is a bit less formal process and security than you might get at a big school. It’s kind of cool. Parents and family wait as the players file out, and can interact for a bit before they head into the locker room. I remember seeing Malik Reed, and thinking- damn! That dude looks huge.

The two Austin’s graduated together in ‘17 and were two of only five guys to display their skills at the teams Pro Day.

It was a ridiculous day. Three feet of snow on the field, and they carved out about a six foot wide path for the guys to run their ‘40s.

our Austin was a linebacker and did very well his senior year, making HM all-mountain west. (I was able to meet @RamFan503 and his lovely wife at a game against Air Force in which Austin recovered a fumble and has 23 tackles!)

He was really hoping a team would give him a shot, but it didn’t happen.

it was even exciting as it led up to pro day, as my brother in law told me that there were supposed to be Ram scouts at the pro-day! Could it be?! My nephew drafted by my Rams?
After all, there was a need. We needed inside linebackers and Austin was a tackling machine.

But my excitement was misplaced. Aaron Kromer and his Oline staff traveled in the snow to Reno to see the OTHER Austin.

Guys, I believe we would have drafted Corbett if he lasted to the third round. Kromer sees some potential here.