Rams talking to Austin Blythe about remaining with team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
1. The real concern is that the entire line played poorly. The Chiefs scored on that team in the second half. Andy Reid made adjustments and they worked. The Rams didn’t.

2. Their needs to be more options and versatility. The Patriots Defensive line isn’t a juggernaut.

3. One other thing was our receivers are all too small. Against taller more physical dbs, they had trouble getting open.

4. It seemed like Bellicheat knew everything that was coming. It wasn’t until the third quarter that McVay started waiting to get set after the .15 second mark.

5. A young inexperienced coach got schooled. It wouldn’t surprise me at all, if Bill texting Sean after every game was just a ploy to make him overconfident. Bill was obviously studying the Rams all year.

6. McVay wasn’t prepared after the Eagles and Bears both took the run and big play away. He needed to have an answer going into this game.

fearsomefour

Legend
The bigger concern is McVay having no answer. Continually having the line abused all game shouldn’t happen. The Patriots blew up the ZBS, that was supposedly their Achilles heel.

So when that happens what do you do? Don’t run into it. He adjusted late. The pass blocking was bad because the Patriots are very good at disguising where pressure is coming from. They stunt a lot. They blitz a lot and disguise where it is coming from. Goff was confused.

Blythe isn’t elite,he was caught on his heels when the stunt kept going through his gap. Belichick or Scarnecchia saw something to exploit. Maybe they saw that Blythe isn’t quick enough or something.
Well if you were going to attack the Rams line Sullivan/Blythe would be the area.
Havenstein was bad as well. Gave up a lot of pressures.
It was a team (the offensive team) loss.

fearsomefour

Legend
P

Agree on Saffold. The Rams need to build there depth. Drafting 3 offensive lineman was a start. Is Allen a reach ?? Sullivan is signed for one more season. Noteboom is the LT of the future. At what point is cross training the key to get the best 5 on the field ??

My point is Noteboom might have replaced Blythe if these are not playoff games. It was obvious these last 2 games Blythe was a hazard to Goff getting hit & not even being able to get out of the pocket. He sort of got exposed.
It’s the offseason now. Yes by now all teams are thinking about the draft. Combine is this month ?? When does 2019 start ?? A month ??
Here is the problem with drafting three lineman....they also need to draft DL, LBs and DBs. Counting on a bunch sixth round picks every draft ain't gonna cut it long term.
Assuming they like Noteboom and Allen and the Rams end up with 5 picks in the first four rounds how many can go OL? One? Two at the tops?
Saffold has to be resigned.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I laugh at him being called physical. Though he is talented, he goes 2.5 seconds and then is off his man.....he has great feet, great intelligence, great body, but lacks the 'other'. He may work well as a LT, but I wonder about him as a guard all game long against 325 monsters. McVay knows....

Bs. Blythe — lmao . Go watch drills & see how big of a punch he has , & his power. No comparison. As a tackle you have to be able to be light on your feet & stop penetration from the outside or just keep the rush wide of the pocket. To each his own.

McVay knows that Noteboom is the best backup Lineman The Rams have. Kromer knows it as well. Will see what happens in the offseason.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here is the problem with drafting three lineman....they also need to draft DL, LBs and DBs. Counting on a bunch sixth round picks every draft ain't gonna cut it long term.
Assuming they like Noteboom and Allen and the Rams end up with 5 picks in the first four rounds how many can go OL? One? Two at the tops?
Saffold has to be resigned.

My point was drafting Offensive Lineman last season. These guys were rookies.You can only ask them to do so much. They all need to hit the weights.Skill set as well.
Noteboom got some great experience behind Whitworth. I think next year you can switch him into the starting lineup if he is the best guard in the team ?? Then play LT if needed ?
The Rams will have a new offensive lineman next season I believe who will start at guard or a least a new starter at guard .

RAMNATION

Rookie
Blythe was very bad tonight but otherwise had a strong season. I'm glad he's a Ram. The real mistake was letting Jamon Brown go. When Blythe was struggling, it would have been good to have some depth on the offensive line to give him a reprieve and, if he continued to struggle, sub him out. We had no such option because the front offense for some reason thought it would be good to get rid of our (quality) depth in the trenches. And we got lucky with injuries this year! What if the offensive line suffered some games lost to injury? That would have been even worse. Big, big mistake by the Rams front office, which overall had quite a strong season with their additions vs. subtractions. It made no sense at the time and made even less sense in hindsight.

EDIT - People are saying it was to do Brown a solid as he was sitting on the bench. Sorry. We're in the business of winning Super Bowls. Not looking out for Jamon Brown's interests as an individual. We not me. Brown is young and was a very capable lineman for us and his tape proved that. He would have landed on his feet regardless. Again, big mistake letting him go.[/QUOT
replacing Jamal Brown is Project number one

fearsomefour

Legend
My point was drafting Offensive Lineman last season. These guys were rookies.You can only ask them to do so much. They all need to hit the weights.Skill set as well.
Noteboom got some great experience behind Whitworth. I think next year you can switch him into the starting lineup if he is the best guard in the team ?? Then play LT if needed ?
The Rams will have a new offensive lineman next season I believe who will start at guard or a least a new starter at guard .
Gotcha. I misunderstood.
I would still draft a couple this year however.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
One bad game doesn't erase a season's worth of good play.
you're 100% correct. But sometimes players need to be subbed out and let the next guy step in for a game or two. Much like Gurley and CJ

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

5. A young inexperienced coach got schooled. It wouldn’t surprise me at all, if Bill texting Sean after every game was just a ploy to make him overconfident. Bill was obviously studying the Rams all year.

6. McVay wasn’t prepared after the Eagles and Bears both took the run and big play away. He needed to have an answer going into this game.

you're so correct. And it's something our HC should be doing in the offseason. Spending time studying teams that are always in the playoffs and learning how to beat them. Who's to say he doesn't? we got outcoached plain and simple and hopefully Mcvay learns from these games and studies the tape on teams that gave us a hard time because all those teams had the same gameplan and it really slowed us down.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
you're so correct. And it's something our HC should be doing in the offseason. Spending time studying teams that are always in the playoffs and learning how to beat them. Who's to say he doesn't? we got outcoached plain and simple and hopefully Mcvay learns from these games and studies the tape on teams that gave us a hard time because all those teams had the same gameplan and it really slowed us down.

They got pressure on Goff & it started by beating Austin Blythe. I don’t understand what happened using Gurley as a receiver out of the backfield. Hated seeing on the sideline so much.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Blythe was very bad tonight but otherwise had a strong season. I'm glad he's a Ram. The real mistake was letting Jamon Brown go. When Blythe was struggling, it would have been good to have some depth on the offensive line to give him a reprieve and, if he continued to struggle, sub him out. We had no such option because the front offense for some reason thought it would be good to get rid of our (quality) depth in the trenches. And we got lucky with injuries this year! What if the offensive line suffered some games lost to injury? That would have been even worse. Big, big mistake by the Rams front office, which overall had quite a strong season with their additions vs. subtractions. It made no sense at the time and made even less sense in hindsight.

EDIT - People are saying it was to do Brown a solid as he was sitting on the bench. Sorry. We're in the business of winning Super Bowls. Not looking out for Jamon Brown's interests as an individual. We not me. Brown is young and was a very capable lineman for us and his tape proved that. He would have landed on his feet regardless. Again, big mistake letting him go.

It was reported that Jamon Brown was the necessary sacrifice to provide the cap space required for the Fowler trade.

Looking like a good decision, don’t you think? Fowler has become a valuable starting edge player while JB was a backup who lost his job to Blythe.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Attachments

• 1572548920362.png
    1572548920362.png
    545.9 KB · Views: 124

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Def: Insanity. "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."

Albert Einstien

oldnotdead

Legend
All this points out is that last year's o-line had it's problems too when they played a strong opponent. It also points out that Blythe was a liability back then as well. Yet he's still starting?

This year's o-line is still in the process of coming together. Edwards stablized the LG position and Allen as expected is still a work in progress but he's getting there. The problem is on the right side. Blythe and Havenstein are nothing but speed bumps on the way to Goff or Gurley. They need to use their two good TE's by playing a double TE set more. With Cooks out this is a golden opportunity to change things up and play 12 personnel. Everett is turning into a decent blocking TE and Whit's age is showing so he could use some help as well.

No need for panic just make adjustments.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Blythe plays at a near all-pro bowl level

What in gods name are you smoking?? And pass that over here please... Seen a few people suggest this but Roger Saffold played at near pro-bowl level when fully healthy, and he used to dominate at times during games. I've never seen Blythe dominate physically EVER. You just hope he holds his own throughout the game. He played well during the regular season last year, but faded late. Go look at the Super Bowl film and tell me that's a near pro-bowl player.

I think we can do much better at RG and I hope Corbett wins that job coming out of the bye. I'm not against moving Blythe to center if Allen's play doesn't improve quickly, I think that would get our best talent on the field. But tough to groom Allen at C for an entire season, and then pull the plug on him after 8 games, but his play has been rough.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
I gotta believe a change at C/RG along with a plan on how to best utilize the talents of Matthews/Ebu/OBO/Reeder to compliment Littleton/Fowler at the LB/Edge tier.

dang

Legend
I gotta believe a change at C/RG along with a plan on how to best utilize the talents of Matthews/Ebu/OBO/Reeder to compliment Littleton/Fowler at the LB/Edge tier.
Add Kenny Young as well.