Rams Signing Davin Joseph

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I really hate the idea of Saffold EVER playing tackle again. I would not choose Joseph at G over Barksdale at T

I agree with blackbart here forget that Saffold ever played OT. Saffold needs to remain @ RIGHT OG & take up where he left off in game 16 when he was jerked away from his OG post & inserted into the OLT position. The running attack ceased at that moment. Saffold gave his best performance yet to date as a pro at OG!

IF there was an issue with Jake Long health .....said IF here boys......I would go with Greg Robinson first. Yes Robinson would have a much easier time getting use to the NFL @ OLG but with he has the talent to overcome the trials & tribulations. Here is where I think the Rams ORG. was coming from......I am sure that GR having a veteran ex all pro even gimpy Joseph inserted @ OLG would provide tremendously assistance to settle GR down on the field of play. Can anyone not see that?

As the NFL season move on....& GR settles on in @ OLT making headway week by week of improvement & Jake Long gets healthy enough to perform well enough @ OLT then Boudreau has good options now ...Leave GR @ OLT & let him grow strong and entrench himself. Or move GR back to OLG and let Joesph rest his ailing knee on the sideline.

I sure have no issues letting Jake Long build up his health & strength by being the swing OT early in the season. Boudreau & the Rams are absent a swing OT @ this time & Jake could fill that vital role early if needed. If for what ever reason, GR or JB has to come out then JL can fill the vacancy.

Having Joseph here also lets Boudreau work Barrett Jones more @ center & not solely @ OG. Joseph has earn pro bowl trip @ both OLG & ORG positions so he is an instant top reserve swing OG and takes the early pressure off of Barrett Jones. If the 6-5 310 plus pound Jones is able to concentrate on the center position & is able to completely dislodge Wells & Barnes as the best option @ OC Boudreau may finally get a solid constant in the very center of this OL.

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I really hate the idea of Saffold EVER playing tackle again. I would not choose Joseph at G over Barksdale at T

Why? I know he got injured a few times at tackle, but he played very well. Besides, your RT tackle is normally your run blocking guy. I just think that would be the 5 best guys on the line. Plus, he asked if Joseph came into the season at pro bowl form. Obviously you don't put a pro bowler on the bench in favor of a average guy.

fearsomefour

Legend
Jrry, you're not allowed to say that name, Ojinnaka brings back painful memories.

I'm still not over it.
The quick progression of that LG position shows what can happen when there is a plan and focus....having a bunch of extra picks doesn't hurt either.
Ojinnaka to Williams to Robinson. A quick progression of improvement.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Why? I know he got injured a few times at tackle, but he played very well. Besides, your RT tackle is normally your run blocking guy. I just think that would be the 5 best guys on the line. Plus, he asked if Joseph came into the season at pro bowl form. Obviously you don't put a pro bowler on the bench in favor of a average guy.
Not just a few times and he really did not perform all that well when he stayed healthy. I would not weaken 2 spots on the O line with that move, shoulder and concussion last year in the few times he played LT. I am hoping for a healthy Long and when /if Long is out for some reason that someone other than Saffold is the replacement. At this point I would rather see Van Dyk get some time out there than Saffold.

FRO

Legend
What does this signing, if anything, say about Barrett Jones?

FRO

Legend
I don't think it says anything about Jones. But, of course, I believe that he's going to wind up being the team's starting center.
I hope so. He didn't look too great in preseason last year, most likely due to the injury. I hope he comes in strong looking like that dominate C from Alabama. I think he could be our C for quite some time. Has the mental makeup to be a very good one. Let's hope he is good to go physically.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Not just a few times and he really did not perform all that well when he stayed healthy. I would not weaken 2 spots on the O line with that move, shoulder and concussion last year in the few times he played LT. I am hoping for a healthy Long and when /if Long is out for some reason that someone other than Saffold is the replacement. At this point I would rather see Van Dyk get some time out there than Saffold.

Trust me, I don't wanna see Saffold anywhere else except RG but I think if Joseph was back to his pro bowl form, that would be the best 5 guys on the line. Unless Joseph can play RT well, then I switch them. I do think he will be a good back up though. But you're right, it all depends on Longs health, who was really good before his injury.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Joe Barksdale is turning into a solid RT, and if you have faith in Boudreau you've gotta assume that Barksdale is just gonna improve in 2014. He's our starting RT
Check out this scouting report that I think is spot on

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What does this signing, if anything, say about Barrett Jones?
If you had a few hours to read my short book post that just above ..... it would have answered your question Fro.:)

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

In just last season this is what Saffold had as far as injuries...started ORT first preseason game first series he separated his shoulder he basically missed the entire four game pre season. Regular season second game first series he injured his knee third grade MCL sprain Saffold never started @ ORT again where he shared a rotation with Barksdale who played better than Saffold. When Dahl injured his knee & ankle & Shelley Smith got blown up he started @ ORG. Game 17 he started @ OLT early 2nd quarter he was knock out of the game with a concussion. Saffolds last season with out several serious injures was his rookie season 2010.

Joe Barksdale is turning into a solid RT, and if you have faith in Boudreau you've gotta assume that Barksdale is just gonna improve in 2014. He's our starting RT

It's been a long time coming but JB is coming around. JB came as an early 2012 season 4th OT. As usual injuries took out first Saffold then Wayne Hunter & JB had his first start in London against the Pats he was ....Not Good! JB started one more game & then was never seen again in the 2012 season. In 2013 TC JB secured the reserve important swing OT position. JB became the starter @ ORT thruoughtout the pre season. He was sent back to reserves but returned to start the 2nd half of the 2nd regular season game. JB very quickly fought off a healthy RS in the rotation.

I've read the discussions by many here, that still considers RS the better ORT....IMO ...I just did not see it. RS looked unsure in the first pre season series & he was not good in the first reg. season game either...JB while not as strong or as talented as RS however JB is solid & (this is the most important thing) remains on the field @ OT ....something that RS has not done in 3 NFL seasons!

I expect JB to be a much better ORT this season than he was in 2013 ...that is a huge plus for this offense! A lot of this good report should be shared with Boudreau's hard work put into this WWC from the Raiders cut bait bucket. I would think that when we see JB this TC we will see a much bigger and defined JB than one year ago. The ORT post his solely his.

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Was hoping this happened before the draft, but what a great signing. If healthy Joseph is a stud.