Rams Signing Davin Joseph

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Now all we need to do is sign a vet LB that can play all three LB positions and I'll feel complete.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Funny, 2 months ago everyone was worried about the line...not we're not sure if guys will make the team.

lockdnram21

Legend
Joe Barksdale is turning into a solid RT, and if you have faith in Boudreau you've gotta assume that Barksdale is just gonna improve in 2014. He's our starting RT
Check out this scouting report that I think is spot on

i don't see all the love for JB. he was ok. I hope Joseph is great and starts at OG and Robinson is ready to play RT. Event Wagoner and JT said JB is overrated by some fans

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
i don't see all the love for JB. he was ok. I hope Joseph is great and starts at OG and Robinson is ready to play RT. Event Wagoner and JT said JB is overrated by some fans

He was more than OK. He was one of the best RTs in football last season. If you think Barksdale is just OK I suggest watching more RTs around the league.

His run blocking is just OK, but his pass blocking is among the best at his position.

Joe Barksdale gave up 4 sacks, 5 QB hits, and 18 QB hurries.

Compare that to the following:

Trent Williams (WAS): 8 sacks, 6 hits, 21 hurries
Joe Thomas (CLE) 2 sacks, 9 hits, 26 hurries
Jason Peters (PHI) 4 sacks, 3 hits, 28 hurries

How about some of the league's better right tackles?

Zach Strief (NOS): 3 sacks, 4 hits, 26 hurries
Phil Loadholt (MIN): 4 sacks, 5 hits, 27 hurries

Joe Barksdale had less snaps than these players but his pass defense numbers are right up there with the best. Worst case scenario, he'd be in the second tier of pass blockers.

What makes it even better? He doesn't take penalties! He tallied 1 penalty (false start) last season.

lockdnram21

Legend
He was more than OK. He was one of the best RTs in football last season. If you think Barksdale is just OK I suggest watching more RTs around the league.

His run blocking is just OK, but his pass blocking is among the best at his position.

just because he didn't give up a lot of sacks doesn't mean he was great.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

How do you grade offensive tackles then? I didn't say he was great, but he certainly was very good.

He was among the best in limiting sacks, QB hits, and hurries.

He took one penalty all of last season. One.

He was a solid run blocker.

If that doesn't make a player more than OK at RT, I'm not sure what you grade him on. Perhaps he should do tricks with animals at half time? Maybe lead a pep band while the defense is on the field?

lockdnram21

Legend
How do you grade offensive tackles then? I didn't say he was great, but he certainly was very good.

He was among the best in limiting sacks, QB hits, and hurries.

He took one penalty all of last season. One.

He was a solid run blocker.

If that doesn't make a player more than OK at RT, I'm not sure what you grade him on. Perhaps he should do tricks with animals at half time? Maybe lead a pep band while the defense is on the field?

Numbers don't tell the whole story. There wasn't more sacks because of Qb awareness

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Numbers don't tell the whole story. There wasn't more sacks because of Qb awareness

Yes, our QBs with their excellent awareness.

Also, if the QB is having to elude rushers with their 'awareness' that would still qualify as hurries and in some cases hits, which Barksdale was among the best at limiting.

Sorry bud, but Barksdale was very good for the Rams last season. Another season like that and he may be looking at a pretty solid payday come next offseason.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Someone probably already said this, but I didn't take the time to read through 6 pages. Joseph would have been a decent starter if we hadn't signed Rodger, now he provides great depth backing up both guard spots. No worse than Dahl, probably better at this point

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Someone probably already said this, but I didn't take the time to read through 6 pages. Joseph would have been a decent starter if we hadn't signed Rodger, now he provides great depth backing up both guard spots. No worse than Dahl, probably better at this point

Eh, if he's not better than he was last season then he certainly isn't better than Dahl. The Rams seem to agree that he will be better though, or else they would've signed Harvey. Here's to hoping another offseason removed from surgery gets him closer to the 2010 version of Davin Joseph.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Harvey Dahl vs Davin Joseph ? The fact that Joseph has played very well @ LEFT OG before the knee injury & can pass the Rams physical would be major reasons for me to say Snead & Fisher did very well.....also does not mean that later in the yr if OL'er Harvey Dahl who has never played the left side & is fully healthy he might return @ vet minimum.

The Rams had three OG's play OLG in 2013....Chris Williams, Shelley Smith & finally Brandon Washington...all that is here today is Washington ....not the best position to be in.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

Even though the Rams did not pass as much per game because of Bradford's injury you have to at least start the evaluation of tackles with pass blocking.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Let's not also forget what coach Bou has done with our lesser o-lineman over the past 2 years. He maxed out Barry Richardson, who didn't play as horrendous as many expected. He turned Wayne Hunter (Jason Smith trade) into a decent backup LT to Saffold, playing much better than Jets fans suggested he would. Turned two waiver wire pickups Williams and Smith into solid backups who were signed relatively early in FA. He turned another Raiders "bust" two years removed from being drafted into a swing OT in 2012 to eventually becoming a starting RT in 2013. And let's not forget the greatest aid of all, helping Rodger transition seamlessly from LT to RT to RG, and potentially becoming pro bowl talent at guard.

So I'm not ready to write the book on Joseph, coach Bou has proven far too often in just 2 years here that he can turn players around, help them reinvent themselves, and max their potential

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Harvey Dahl vs Davin Joseph ? The fact that Joseph has played very well @ LEFT OG before the knee injury & can pass the Rams physical would be major reasons for me to say Snead & Fisher did very well.....also does not mean that later in the yr if OL'er Harvey Dahl who has never played the left side & is fully healthy he might return @ vet minimum.

The Rams had three OG's play OLG in 2013....Chris Williams, Shelley Smith & finally Brandon Washington...all that is here today is Washington ....not the best position to be in.

Pretty sure he was a RG during his tenure in Tampa.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
When did he play LG? I'm pretty sure they plugged him in at RG his rookie season and he never moved. He doesn't fit the mold of the mobility that's typically looked for in LGs.

Very True... Joseph he is very limited these days in mobility ...I will find some tubes of him at OLG later on but I do know that he has played series @ OLG in the pro bowls too. Might recall last two seasons starters @ OLG Chris Williams & Robert Turner were not used much on the move either. Neither were any good hitting their targets on the move. One would think that will change with Greg Robinson playing OLG this year.

Last edited: