Rams Signing Davin Joseph

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
I'm a little suprised, especially givin the general awareness of this group of football fanatics here, why no one has asked a key question.

If this guy is such a great find, why is he still available?

I wouldnt pencil him in as a starter just yet. Lets make sure he's healthy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm a little suprised, especially givin the general awareness of this group of football fanatics here, why no one has asked a key question.

Tore his patellar tendon in the 2012 Preseason and didn't look anything like the player he was in 2013. Was a top 5-10 OG prior to the injury.

I think most recognize odds are that he'll never be the same. But there's also the possibility that as he distances himself from the injury, he regains some of his previous ability.

…..

Legend
We have to assume he's had physicals from multiple teams, givin his credientials.

But there is still the possibility that it could all go really well.....so lets hope for that.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Here is a post from a Bucs forum when I asked about Joseph. Take it for what it's worth:
Davin was one of my favorites while he was here in Tampa. Your getting a really good guy. He is a class act and is the type of guy you would wznt in your locker room. Also q great guy in the community.

Unfortunately thats about it. Injuries have really derailed hus career and its a shame because he was a stud at the beginning of his career. On the field he has his moments but with each passing season those moments are beconing fewer and fewer. His game tape was awful this past season.

I read the same post, FRO. Teams have been looking at his 2013 tape since March, and nobody has seriously pursued him...

Sorry to be a downer in this sea of positivity - I hope he returns to his 2011 Pro Bowl version, too. He's obviously a great teammate and deserves a return to success, and Coach B is just the guy to make it happen.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Has anyone really penciled him in as a starter?

Memphis Ram

Legend
I read the same post, FRO. Teams have been looking at his 2013 tape since March, and nobody has seriously pursued him...

Sorry to be a downer in this sea of positivity - I hope he returns to his 2011 Pro Bowl version, too. He's obviously a great teammate and deserves a return to success, and Coach B is just the guy to make it happen.

The Patriots and the Cowboys seriously pursued him from what I understand.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry

My guess is he had an expectation to what his value is and tried to see what team's would meet his demands, but after waiting and seeing no one wants to take the chance on somebody with an injury history, he accepted his best offer which was probably us.

…..

Legend
My guess is he had an expectation to what his value is and tried to see what team's would meet his demands, but after waiting and seeing no one wants to take the chance on somebody with an injury history, he accepted his best offer which was probably us.

Sounds very reasonable!

SierraRam

Recreational User
The Patriots and the Cowboys seriously pursued him from what I understand.

I've been sifting thru articles since the announcement, but didn't see any interest from other teams...

But if you say so Memphis, I believe it. That's good news - I hope he make a full recovery and contributes. One thing that stands out about DJ: he's a class act!

Wonderboy

Rookie
Everybody is jumping to depth in case of injury which is where my mind went at first as well. But another thing that can't be overlooked with a guy like this coming off the bench is what the increased competition will do for the starters. Do perform and your ass is sitting down!!! Love our depth on the O-Line. This is a GSOT-esque line! Go Rams!

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Love the aggression shown by the F.O to shore up the O.L but it would have been nice to get him without owing any compensation to TB (if we do).
Makes me wonder how are draft would have went had we lost Saffold to Oakland like we were so close to doing. We obviously would have taken a different route, maybe even 2 of the first 3 picks would have been O.L.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It would appear that Joseph is the best of the rest of the unsigned OL'ers still on the market. Rams needed a veteran OG to get into the mix. I am sure he will assist the other interior OL's with many things. Not so sure about his knee being able to let him produce much of his former self. If he is the same OG he was in 2013 season I would prefer he not see the field as a starter.

I am very happy with this signing. Here some other related articles on him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331939/article/davin-joseph-released-by-tampa-bay-buccaneers

The former first-round draft pick had a disastrous season coming off knee surgery that caused him to miss the entire 2012 campaign. Pro Football Focus ranked him 80th among 81 qualifying guards in 2013.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3614/davin-joseph

FOX Sports' Alex Marvez reports the Rams are "set to sign" free agent OG Davin Joseph.

The Rams were linked to Joseph at the start of free agency, but ended up waiting over two months for his price to come down. Going on 31, Joseph would presumably be signed to start, meaning either No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson or Rodger Saffold would be kicked out to tackle. May 27 - 4:32 PM

Last edited:

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
It would appear that Joseph is the best of the rest of the unsigned OL'ers still on the market. Rams needed a veteran OG to get into the mix. I am sure he will assist the other interior OL's with many things.

I am very happy with this signing. Here some other related articles on him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331939/article/davin-joseph-released-by-tampa-bay-buccaneers

The former first-round draft pick had a disastrous season coming off knee surgery that caused him to miss the entire 2012 campaign. Pro Football Focus ranked him 80th among 81 qualifying guards in 2013.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3614/davin-joseph

FOX Sports' Alex Marvez reports the Rams are "set to sign" free agent OG Davin Joseph.

The Rams were linked to Joseph at the start of free agency, but ended up waiting over two months for his price to come down. Going on 31, Joseph would presumably be signed to start, meaning either No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson or Rodger Saffold would be kicked out to tackle. May 27 - 4:32 PM
Sounds like a perfect candidate for Coach Bou!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Joseph would presumably be signed to start, meaning either No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson or Rodger Saffold would be kicked out to tackle. May 27 - 4:32 PM

Barring injury to Barks, Saffold and Robinson, and Long starting game 1, I do not see this happening one bit, and would stake $100,00 ROD bucks on it.

You do not sign a 31 year old who still isn't back(maybe) to form after a very bad knee injury and had a horrible year and who many teams were not interested in to come in and start over younger players who have proven themselves.

Joseph is good depth, and nothing more. I hope he doesnt see the field, because then that means our line is healthy and good. Having Joseph does make me feel better in case of an injury, that is all.

Last edited: