Rams signing C.J. Anderson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I didn't get a chance to see the game, but from highlights he looks like a patient runner, as he approaches his gap/hole there's a slight hesitation, lifts his leg and goes. He reminds me of Marshawn Lynch in that aspect.

Cydekikk

UDFA
Can you imagine if we turned into a run-first, playaction team for the playoffs with these two horses?! Loved the signing then (especially what he did to the Patsies as a bronco), love the signing even more now!

Would definitely alleviate a lot of pressure off Goff and open up the passing game.
I agree... BUT it won’t mean much for our SB aspirations if our D keeps playing shitty once the postseason starts... Man, did I buy all the preseason hype...

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Well, he'll be 28 years old next year and will cost more than a HB on a rookie contract. I think Anderson still has a few productive years in him, but the Rams are going to want to cuts costs where they can. If John Kelly can handle pass pro duties next year, he's a cheaper back with a similar skill-set.

However, if it were me, I'd sign CJA if he could be had cheap (like 2 years $3 million). Malcolm Brown is a UFA, and if the worst case scenario happened next year (significant Gurley injury), CJA could be a 1000+ yard HB in this offense. That all said, I imagine CJA might want to see what he can get paid in FA if he continues to play well for us.
L
Well, he'll be 28 years old next year and will cost more than a HB on a rookie contract. I think Anderson still has a few productive years in him, but the Rams are going to want to cuts costs where they can. If John Kelly can handle pass pro duties next year, he's a cheaper back with a similar skill-set.

However, if it were me, I'd sign CJA if he could be had cheap (like 2 years $3 million). Malcolm Brown is a UFA, and if the worst case scenario happened next year (significant Gurley injury), CJA could be a 1000+ yard HB in this offense. That all said, I imagine CJA might want to see what he can get paid in FA if he continues to play well for us.

I think he'll surely test the water in FA if he performs even remotely like he did yesterday..This will be his last chance at a significant deal...

Cydekikk

UDFA
However, if it were me, I'd sign CJA if he could be had cheap (like 2 years $3 million).....
There is no way a RB of his caliber and tenure would go for such a paltry contract... He’likely feel insulted.

Last edited:

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
[QUOTE="jrry32, post: 1160534, member: 572”]
However, if it were me, I'd sign CJA if he could be had cheap (like 2 years $3 million).....
There is no way a RB of his caliber and tenure would go for such a paltry contract... He’likely feel insulted.[/QUOTE]
U guys are really bummin me out.
That 'kid' is a bowling ball.... wait.... a wrecking ball, lowering that shoulder like a good old smash-mouth football player. And a perfect fit for our ZBS. Him & Gurley would be a crazy good 1-2 punch in the mouth. At least we can keep him for the playoffs. One could hope though.... a full camp w/ him & TGII... a cadre of WR's with great hands & route running... our TE's rounding into form... gotta dream, eh?

Cydekikk

UDFA
.....At least we can keep him for the playoffs. One could hope though.... a full camp w/ him & TGII... a cadre of WR's with great hands & route running... our TE's rounding into form... gotta dream, eh?
Nothing wrong with that dream at all... Heck, I’ll share it right along with you... But it’s gonna definitely cost more than 3 mil over 2 years to make it happen from CJ’s perspective, I’m sure...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don’t want to take anything away from CJ... because he ran hard and made plays on his own. So full credit there.

But this speaks to the priority of an effective oline. Both the run and the pass benefit from it, as we all know.

Kudos to the oline for giving him space.

When the oline struggles; “Goff isn’t elite and Gurley must be hurt”

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don’t want to take anything away from CJ... because he ran hard and made plays on his own. So full credit there.

But this speaks to the priority of an effective oline. Both the run and the pass benefit from it, as we all know.

Kudos to the oline for giving him space.

Exactly

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

The two Tight End sets helped and sticking to the run and pounding the rock certainly did not make the Rams look soft especially with a back like Anderson. The Offensive Line seemed happy to be run blocking and now I want the Chicago Bears and to pound the ball right at them and give them a taste of physical football as I'm tired hearing the "soft" label of this football team.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The two Tight End sets helped and sticking to the run and pounding the rock certainly did not make the Rams look soft especially with a back like Anderson. The Offensive Line seemed happy to be run blocking and now I want the Chicago Bears and to pound the ball right at them and give them a taste of physical football as I'm tired hearing the "soft" label of this football team.
I would love to ground and pound the Bears into oblivion.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME

Let's destroy that narrative.

giphy.gif

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With this aging OL & the issues that center John Sullivan continues to have even up against the less than average interior DL of the Cards.....the two TE set is mandated from this point on. If CJ & TG pounding the ball hard & effective along with Higbee & Everett can reach the playoff healthy this OL a real chance to remain effective to help keep Goff upright & unmolested when he passes.

Rams have some size @ LT/RT/LG & the shorter smaller Blythe is clever & consistent to do a long run from this point. But if you ask our weakess link John Sullivan to pass block more than half the time Goff is in trouble. This also keeps this shallow depth defense off the field & fresh.

Bottom line for me here ............#1- is the release of WR/KR Cooper & the additions of RB CJ Anderson reduced the negative situation with the loss of RB Malcolm Brown. CJ sure appears to be able to improve & strengthen this offense that what Cooper would have it was a very good decision & a positive one.

#2-Morphing into a 12 personnel offensive line up for the greater part this past Sunday finally going with our top draft selection of the 2017 draft TE Gerald Everett as a starter with Tyler Higbee offsets the great loss of WR Cooper Kupp. Another change & good decision.

#3-The part-time change up & utilization of DL'er Ndamukong Suh on the wings of Wade's 3 & 4 man DL was very effective in getting our highest paid defensive player in better positions to make better plays. The continued lack of pass rush from our Edge Rushers will require help from Suh on the wings of this DL. Good wise decision by Wade.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But if you ask our weakess link John Sullivan to pass block more than half the time Goff is in trouble. This also keeps this shallow depth defense off the field & fresh.

Sully has had issues this year pass blocking against physical defensive lines, but he does an excellent job with his line calls and knows the offense really well, which is key. He had a bad snap yesterday, that led to a negative play or throw away, but had some crushing run blocks. The future at Center is most likely Brian Allen, with Blythe staying at RG next season, but I concur, the 12 Personnel aids the OL and Sully just needs to hold up better when asked to pass block.

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-cardinals-sidebar-20181223-story.html

Rams' C.J. Anderson shuts up doubters, and not for the first time
By KEVIN BAXTER

ECHT3MTWZBAINOYCVLBV2XAYVY.jpg

Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times

If C.J. Anderson had any question about where he fit in a Rams offense he joined just five days ago, it was answered on the first play Sunday when quarterback Jared Goff spun around and handed him the ball.

If the Rams had any doubts about Anderson’s fitness and ability at the end of a year in which he’s been released three times, they were erased on that same play, with Anderson cradling the ball against his belly and dashing six yards up the middle.

By the end of the afternoon, Anderson had carried the ball 20 times for a 167 yards and a touchdown. And that left one big question unanswered: How were the Rams able to scoop up a game-changing running back for less than $100,000 with less than two weeks left before the playoffs?

It might not matter once Pro Bowl running back Todd Gurley returns from the left knee injury that kept him out Sunday, but when the Rams needed a lift, Anderson picked them up and carried them to a 31-9 rout of the Arizona Cardinals.

“It was a game we needed,” defensive tackle Aaron Donald said. “We’re back on track.”

And it was Anderson, a six-year veteran and former Pro Bowl pick, who got them there. The 167 rushing yards were one short of his career high and 63 more than he gained in nine games with Carolina this season.

“I knew I had an opportunity to play. And you knew you had to be ready no matter what,” said Anderson, who arrived at the Rams’ practice facility at 5:30 each morning last week in an effort to learn the playbook.

“You could tell from Day 1 that he’s a vet, a pro and guy that you can lean on,” tackle Andrew Whitworth said. “His work ethic and the attitude he put in this week made us all feel really confident that we could go out there and have a big day.”

But neither Anderson nor the Rams knew how much he would play until about two hours before kickoff. Gurley appeared ready to go after stretching and going through some agility drills at full speed, but then he huddled with trainers and the coaching staff and a decision was made to hold him out.

“We were expecting him to play today,” Rams coach Sean McVay said of Gurley. “But sometimes we have to make those decisions. It was totally based on the pregame workout.”

And with second-year pro Justin Davis dealing with a shoulder injury, the Rams gave the ball to Anderson.

“We felt like he was going to do something like that,” McVay said. “Clearly he delivered in a big way. I think we were all pleased with it. Certainly I don’t think anyone was shocked by it, though.”

This isn’t the first time Anderson has had to win over doubters. In fact, his whole NFL career has been built on that.

He was overlooked in the 2013 draft, eventually signing with Denver as a free agent. Over the next five seasons he put up better numbers than 20 of the 24 running backs who were drafted, rushing for 3,051 yards and 20 touchdowns, making the Pro Bowl, winning a Super Bowl and signing a four-year, $18-million contract.

That ultimately proved too expensive for the rebuilding Broncos, who cut Anderson last spring to save $4.5 million toward the salary cap.

Carolina signed him two weeks later, only to waive him last month after deciding to center the running back duties around Christian McCaffrey. Then Oakland signed Anderson, but he stayed just six days after a rash of injuries to the offensive line left the team without a roster spot.

So when the Rams called last week, Anderson was ready to prove himself again.

“I’ve always had the chip. I’ve never stopped playing with the chip,” he said. “Every team had a circumstance [for] releasing me. So it’s timing. Opportunity is another [thing]. This actually worked out with perfect timing and I get my opportunity. “

For a brief moment Sunday, Anderson wondered if he had blown that chance. After carrying twice for 12 yards on the Rams’ first series, he blew a blocking assignment that resulted in a strip sack, a turnover Arizona converted into a field goal and an early lead.

“I’m kind of upset about that,” he said. “I gave up a sack. It’s probably the first of my career.”

He got better as the game wore on, though, rushing for 61 yards and a touchdown in the second quarter and breaking off a 46-yard run — two yards shy of his career best — on his only attempt in the final period. On his final carry of the day, he toted the game ball to the team bus.

“The big boys played great up front. Obviously I get nothing going if it wasn’t for them,” said Anderson, whose 20 rushes Sunday are the most he’s had in a game in more than a year. “Even though you might be working out, it’s hard to get in football shape. No one’s chasing you. That was my first live [game] getting chased by people.”

How long Anderson will keep getting chased by people while wearing a Rams uniform likely depends on Gurley. But he did more than enough Sunday to prove he deserves another chance.

“It’s a one-play league. You’ve got to be the ultimate pro,” he said. “It felt good. I never gave up on myself. I never gave up on my ability and what I can do.”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Saw that and loved it! Like others I’d love to sign him but he’s going to play himself into a contract next year. Whoever loses out on the Bell sweepstakes will get him and be happy for it. I’d like to see him next to sam Darnold in NY. Good vet along side a young QB then they can draft to add other weapons and oline.

OskiEsq

UDFA
As a Cal alum, I've always been a fan of Anderson. His running style reminds me of Marshawn Lynch, but that's no surprise since they had the same RB coach at Cal (Ron Gould). For whatever reason, Anderson was always overlooked -- even at Cal. After his junior year, I thought he'd be the starter as a senior -- but he was passed up for Isi Sofele (a much smaller, "finesse" type of running back, who had speed, but was not a bruiser like Anderson). Some on the Cal board speculated that this was due to Anderson not being about to pick the blitz or understanding Tedford's complex offense. Who knows. I don't think anyone really understood why he was the backup. In any event, I'm glad he's proven time and time again that he's a worthy back. Glad to have him in our offense and that we have a Cal backfield. :) Go (Golden) Bears! Go Rams!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sully has had issues this year pass blocking against physical defensive lines, but he does an excellent job with his line calls and knows the offense really well, which is key. He had a bad snap yesterday, that led to a negative play or throw away, but had some crushing run blocks. The future at Center is most likely Brian Allen, with Blythe staying at RG next season, but I concur, the 12 Personnel aids the OL and Sully just needs to hold up better when asked to pass block.
I do not see any changes forth coming in this OL the remainder of this season unless an injury happens, Sullivan will have to hold up at this point & he will need McVay's help!

McVay needs to order himself to go ultra HD run offense with the use of the run in McVay's offense. Get the recievers (Cooks/ Natson/ Woods & Everett) their required touches with the ball on the jet sweep runs. Utilizing RB's CJ & Kelly mixed in with Gurley in HD power runs. Stay with it & the OL will get stronger as the game wears on.

Not sure what type of condition the Rams 2019 OL will be in by training camp but the 34 yr old John Sullivan has a cap hit of $4.25 million. I think that the Rams have been planning for JS retirement after this season.Rams could move to save the $3.25 mil & just go with cap saving lower cost candidates.

You mention OC Brian Allen he is one stout short (6-1) strong fire hydrant OL who does not lack power & holds his ground very well. I am sure that when he was drafted this yr that he was hand picked by Kromer to be the 2019 starter @ center. In addition Kromer is not short on centers.
https://texanswire.usatoday.com/201...ect-of-the-day-michigan-state-ol-brian-allen/
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brian-allen?id=32462018-0002-5598-26c7-46be083be116

Besides Brian Allen, Kromer has OC/OG Austin Blyhte who has started since the 2018 season began. Blythe is signed for the 2019 season for only $ 700K & will be in his 4th season. Kroners' also has two other stashed away centers in Aaron Neary & JJ Dielman. Neary has been here for 2 seasons now & has even hung on thru one very bad press event involving DUI accident. It indicates to me the Rams like what they have in him & see that he has a future here as a possible reserve center.

JJ Dielman who is a late arrival & a perfect fit for the type of scheme Kromer runs. He has been on 5 different NFL teams since being drafted in the 5th rd. Dielman has been signed to the Rams PS for most of the season.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2687981-nfl-draft-400-ranking-the-drafts-top-centers#slide3
J.J. Dielman has the strength and quickness to play in the NFL. He's naturally quick and has the hip and knee bend to climb to the second level and take on linebackers. Dielman is ideal for a zone scheme with excellent agility and overall athleticism. He can get out of his stance, open his hips and go laterally down the line. His ability to play on pulls, traps and the screen game will surprise. With light feet and quick hips, Dielman will be able to handle speedy rushers in the NFL. He can recover and adjust to pick up A-gap blitzers.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/j.j.-dielman?id=2557993

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
With Brown most likely testing the FA market, it might make sense to see if CJ can be tempted to sign a team friendly contract before the season ends. CJ and TG would make a nice lil one two punch....similar to Ingram and Kamara.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/12/24/18154549/the-winners-and-losers-of-nfl-week-16

By Rodger Sherman

That C.J. Anderson was the guy who stepped in for Gurley is pretty ridiculous. Anderson, who just three seasons ago helped the Broncos to a Super Bowl win, was on the NFL’s scrap heap. He started the year on the Panthers, but quickly became irrelevant behind Christian McCaffrey, managing just 104 yards in nine games.

He was cut in November and signed with the Raiders, but didn’t make it onto the field for Oakland. He only signed with the Rams five days ago as it became more apparent Gurley might miss time. He instantly leapfrogged several younger running backs like John Kelly and Justin Davis, and less than a week after signing with Los Angeles, he was their star:

View: https://twitter.com/DefPenSports/status/1076957946062520321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1076957946062520321&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2018%2F12%2F24%2F18154549%2Fthe-winners-and-losers-of-nfl-week-16

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1076964460915417088?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1076964460915417088&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2018%2F12%2F24%2F18154549%2Fthe-winners-and-losers-of-nfl-week-16

It’s not fair to say that Anderson simply filled in for Gurley—he actually outperformed him. Anderson’s 167 yards would be the second-best performance of Gurley’s season.

There’s been a lot of discussion over the past few seasons about how important running backs are in an era dominated by high-powered passing attacks. Gurley’s consistent success for one of the league’s best teams was one of the strongest arguments that a top-notch back could still be a meaningful factor on an elite-level team.

But Sunday, Gurley sat—and a total rando stepped in and did as well, if not better than Gurley. It made it seem as if Sean McVay’s scheme is more pivotal to Gurley’s success than Gurley’s incredible talents. It’s telling that the absence of the best running back in the game had a bigger impact on fantasy football than actual football.