Rams sign veteran Safety Eric Weddle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
I think Joyner is a slot corner. And he's got enough fight in spite of his size to play in run support in a pinch too. He's certainly not a guy you want single high.

And Johnson is more comfortable in the box too, although he's young. Either way we are lacking that guy with the instincts and range to hurt teams/threaten INTs in the deep middle. It's a big need, so the guys I'm looking at aren't the box types.

Hey Merlin.. Yeah I remember this dialogue about Johnson III being a box saftey.. I'm not sure where it came from, my only guess is that because he was placed at SS.... I didn't look long but I couldn't find any scouting reports that categorized him as a box safety - the few I looked at all more complimented his FS/deep skills. This is also where he has made more plays for the Rams (down the field interceptions). He ended up playing SS because Joyner is not exactly a block shedding hybrid linebacker - I think Joyner, in reality isn't even 190 lbs.

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/20...pect-safety-john-johnson-los-angeles-chargers

https://ramsondemand.com/threads/round-3-pick-91-john-johnson-s.49366/

Last edited:

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
I have heard this name mentioned somewhere else here.... maybe in one of the Mock/offseason Posts. Not sure how people think he would be available. He will not become a UFA until 2021. He counts 6.3 Mil against the Broncos Cap this next season with 3.5-mil savings & a Dead money hit of 2.8-mil if they release him this off season. The Broncos have 35-Mil in Cap space so there is no need to cut him over Cap dollars. The Rams would have to trade for him. He was ranked near the bottom of Safety performance this past year by PFF.
I think they can get a better Safety in the middle rounds of the Draft.
He was cut.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021344/article/denver-broncos-release-safety-darian-stewart

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stewart is an interesting option. Remember.. he know's Wade's Defense. And if Wade is big on him I would think it's a possibility.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What about Tre Boston for around $3m/year?
Bring back Darian Stewart. Younger, probably cheaper and has played for Wade.
I have no real issue with Snead giving these Cap Casualties a look see but @ a one year prove it type deal & it needs to be a low-cost cap hit...if not I would move on.

Rams do need a well-blended safety starting in this Wade D. If I were mixing up a recipe for one I would 60% Deep High Free Safety ingredient, 30% In the Box Strong Safety ingredient & 10% Nickle Back ingredient. I also want some length & size to him. Rams have collected a large cadre of Dinky DB's.:huh:

Wade has two safeties who will enter their 4th seasons as Rams. Blake Countess (6th rd pick) is more deep safety than SS & has played 37 NFL gms with 4 starts. He is an RFA. Marqui Christian (5th round pick) has 39 NFL gms of experience. This past season he played a ton of Nickle ILB position along with being JJ III main reserve. MC is still under contract. So Wade stands to be in very good shape with experienced safety reserves.

Wade also has two other safeties who will enter their 2nd season as Rams. Two UDFA's FS Ramon Richards 5-11/190 lbs & Steven Parker 6-1 190 pounder who started both safety posts in college. Both of these young safeties are under Ram contracts. Plus we have starter JJ III. That's five safeties before free agency begins & the late April draft. (y)

Snead has done well finding good safeties in the draft to start early without having to use high draft selection on them. I would expect a safety late day two or early day 3 in this draft who will be our stater by mid season of his rookie year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hey Merlin.. Yeah I remember this dialogue about Johnson III being a box saftey.. I'm not sure where it came from, my only guess is that because he was placed at SS.... I didn't look long but I couldn't find any scouting reports that categorized him as a box safety - the few I looked at all more complimented his FS/deep skills. This is also where he has made more plays for the Rams (down the field interceptions). He ended up playing SS because Joyner is not exactly a block shedding hybrid linebacker - I think Joyner, in reality isn't even 190 lbs.

Once again Ellard... Johnson's a young safety. Wade likes to be unpredictable and have either guy capable/flexible, so we have to have another safety who can play single high. Johnson is far from a finished product and is stronger in the box role still, and saying that doesn't mean I'm hating on the kid or that I think we need two safeties.

Joyner was a tremendous disappointment and Wade had to account for his lack of instincts all season long. So what we need is one safety who brings some instincts in the deep middle and coverage. Not another guy whose strength is playing in the box. Pair him with JJ and we're going to have something going in the secondary.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I think Johnson could play FS and be that guy you put in the middle of the field; however, he’s so damn good at what he does that I would rather the Rams settle for a stop gap until they can draft someone who specializes in playing deep middle.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021582/article/exravens-safety-eric-weddle-set-to-visit-rams

Ex-Ravens safety Eric Weddle set to visit Rams
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: March 8, 2019 at 03:20 p.m.

Eric Weddle is on the move.

The former Baltimore Ravens safety is set to visit the Los Angeles Rams, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and Good Morning Football's Peter Schrager report.
Weddle has 11 offers and narrowed the list down to five teams, per Rapoport and Schrager.

The Rams are in the safety market with Lamarcus Joyner heading to free agency after playing 2018 under the franchise tag.

L.A. makes sense as a landing spot for the 34-year-old veteran Weddle, who remains one of the headiest safeties in the NFL despite his age. The Rams remain in win-now mode after reaching the Super Bowl and could lose several players on the defensive side of the ball this offseason.

With the glut of safeties set to enter the market, Weddle is fortunate to get a jump on the competition after his release from the Ravens this week. He could find a landing spot before the market opens on Wednesday.

Psycho_X

Legend
Yeah I’m not high on this. If he wants to come and compete for a vet minimum type of contract I guess that’d be fine. But not sure he’s got much left.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Id prefer earl Thomas but ill take weddle over joyner

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
NFLN is reporting Weddle is visiting the rams.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gipson over old man Weddle a thousand times over.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams always have too many "smurfs". Rams would do well to get bigger in the secondary. Joyner has regressed and Weddle brings experience and would fit with JJ3, Talib and Peters. Weddle still has game. An upgrade.