Rams sign Tre'Davious White

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Time will tell… none of them look like stars to me but we will see. DeJean jumps off the screen. If we continue to play zone concepts then I hope we draft him (he is PFFs top rated CB for what it’s worth)

Who did Mitchell play against, remind me?
Oh please. Sure Dejean played against some better offenses but he played against some real stinkers too and there were long stretches of the season where he had nothing to do. It's a big knock on him in evals.

Mitchell has the measurables and ability and when tested against some of the best in college football at the Senior Bowl where CBs have a huge disadvantage playing against air and no sideline help in drills, dominated everyone he went against.

Mitchell is by far the better prospect. Dejean is still good. Just not in the same class.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Oh please. Sure Dejean played against some better offenses but he played against some real stinkers too and there were long stretches of the season where he had nothing to do. It's a big knock on him in evals.

Mitchell has the measurables and ability and when tested against some of the best in college football at the Senior Bowl where CBs have a huge disadvantage playing against air and no sideline help in drills, dominated everyone he went against.

Mitchell is by far the better prospect. Dejean is still good. Just not in the same class.
We have these debates every year. I will accept being wrong but how many times have you or others said something similar only for the high ranked player not to be the best NFL player. It’s a tough position and a lot tougher against better offenses and WRs. That’s a fact that you can count on. I doubt Mitchell will be available so it’s probably immaterial

WestCoastRam

Legend
We have these debates every year. I will accept being wrong but how many times have you or others said something similar only for the high ranked player not to be the best NFL player. It’s a tough position and a lot tougher against better offenses and WRs. That’s a fact that you can count on. I doubt Mitchell will be available so it’s probably immaterial
Yeah, I agree, don't think Mitchell will be avail.

I encourage you to go back through all my previous posts in previous years to see what I said about high ranked players. I was not wrong once. Ever. Well, except I though the tennis ball would make the roster for the Rams in 2013.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If Quinyon Mitchell is somehow available with #19 - which he almost certainly won't be - I'd take him over Newton or Latu. He's that good. He had one of the most miniscule passer-ratings against I've seen out of a cornerback, 37 career passes defensed (spanning two years as a starter), six career picks, two of which went for six. He's fast, he's instinctive, he's great in man, zone, press, whatever, he's a solid run-defender, he's basically everything you want out of a shutdown corner.

He's for real. On a team with Desjuan Johnson - whom I think is pretty good myself - and a lot of solid defenders, Mitchell stood out the most.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If Quinyon Mitchell is somehow available with #19 - which he almost certainly won't be - I'd take him over Newton or Latu. He's that good. He had one of the most miniscule passer-ratings against I've seen out of a cornerback, 37 career passes defensed (spanning two years as a starter), six career picks, two of which went for six. He's fast, he's instinctive, he's great in man, zone, press, whatever, he's a solid run-defender, he's basically everything you want out of a shutdown corner.

He's for real. On a team with Desjuan Johnson - whom I think is pretty good myself - and a lot of solid defenders, Mitchell stood out the most.
That's so tough, I think I might very well too but then you're probably splitting reps between him and White all year. I don't think he's got inside versatility does he? Does White?

Memento

Name
Jemma
That's so tough, I think I might very well too but then you're probably splitting reps between him and White all year. I don't think he's got inside versatility does he? Does White?

White and D-Will have inside versatility, as does Durant and THT. You don't put Mitchell out in the STAR position when you have Curl, Lake, and potentially White doing the same thing.

And there's no guarantee that White recovers enough to play at his All-Pro level. It's a gamble that the Rams made, and it's a gamble I'm fine with, but that's not going to stop them from taking two corners, particularly if they're sick of Kendrick and manage to get good value from trading him.

I love and respect D-Will, but he's already thirty-one. I've always respected Tre'Davious White's game, but he's had two major injuries and is one year away from turning thirty. I love the potential of both Durant and THT, but Durant has to redefine himself after a lackluster year (even though I firmly believe that last year was the aberration and that his ball-skills didn't suddenly disappear), and Hodges-Tomlinson needs to stop committing stupid penalties and just trust his coverage, which is good enough as it is. Kendrick...is Kendrick, and I've made no secret for my dislike of his game.

I still think they take two corners, one early, one late. You can't go in hoping for the best for any of our current group, much like edge, D-line, running back, and receiver.

WestCoastRam

Legend
White and D-Will have inside versatility, as does Durant and THT. You don't put Mitchell out in the STAR position when you have Curl, Lake, and potentially White doing the same thing.

And there's no guarantee that White recovers enough to play at his All-Pro level. It's a gamble that the Rams made, and it's a gamble I'm fine with, but that's not going to stop them from taking two corners, particularly if they're sick of Kendrick and manage to get good value from trading him.

I love and respect D-Will, but he's already thirty-one. I've always respected Tre'Davious White's game, but he's had two major injuries and is one year away from turning thirty. I love the potential of both Durant and THT, but Durant has to redefine himself after a lackluster year (even though I firmly believe that last year was the aberration and that his ball-skills didn't suddenly disappear), and Hodges-Tomlinson needs to stop committing stupid penalties and just trust his coverage, which is good enough as it is. Kendrick...is Kendrick, and I've made no secret for my dislike of his game.

I still think they take two corners, one early, one late. You can't go in hoping for the best for any of our current group, much like edge, D-line, running back, and receiver.
D-Will tried nickel for us and did quite poorly. I didn't believe White has played nickel at all. What gives you the impression he has that versatility.

Memento

Name
Jemma
D-Will tried nickel for us and did quite poorly. I don't know enough about White's game to say he's got inside versatility. Interesting.

He tried with Jacksonville as well, I believe. White definitely was used more on the outside, but given his injuries, may fit more as a safety or nickel. And then you have Durant and THT who definitely have inside game, potentially a drafted corner or two.

...And there's Kendrick, I guess.

WestCoastRam

Legend
He tried with Jacksonville as well, I believe. White definitely was used more on the outside, but given his injuries, may fit more as a safety or nickel. And then you have Durant and THT who definitely have inside game, potentially a drafted corner or two.

...And there's Kendrick, I guess.
Safety and nickel are very different skill sets from outside corner. I'd believe this was possible if there was evidence that he had those skill sets. Not that he was just injured. Maybe he can. I just don't see any evidence. At all.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Safety and nickel are very different skill sets from outside corner. I'd believe this was possible if there was evidence that he had those skill sets. Not that he was just injured. Maybe he can. I just don't see any evidence. At all.

I just think that White's injuries have sapped a lot of his speed. It would be mitigated with a move to inside or safety.

Again, it's a gamble, and it's one I'm not expecting to pay off. That's why I draft two corners instead of just one (and no, DeJean is not an option for me unless we trade way down, and if we're doing that, Rakestraw would be my first choice), and hope you hit on one of them.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
So…
White FS
Lake SS
Curl NB
DWill CB
TBD (Draft or Durant) CB
Rams don't have SS and FS
Curl does not play NB anymore

WHite was signed to replace Spoon at BC
Will will play FC
slot will be depending on game plan. Lake when they want 3 safeties, and maybe Durant or rookie when they want 3 CBs

When they are not in nickel I think Lake and Curl will be safeties ...
When they go to dime Curl might be the dime LBer, or maybe Yeast.

I think a CB is coming in draft, one of first 4 picks ...

dang

Legend
Rams don't have SS and FS
Curl does not play NB anymore

WHite was signed to replace Spoon at BC
Will will play FC
slot will be depending on game plan. Lake when they want 3 safeties, and maybe Durant or rookie when they want 3 CBs

When they are not in nickel I think Lake and Curl will be safeties ...
When they go to dime Curl might be the dime LBer, or maybe Yeast.

I think a CB is coming in draft, one of first 4 picks ...
I think you lost the intent of the original post which was the possibility of White playing safety. The response was merely an attempt to expand upon that scenario.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I think you lost the intent of the original post which was the possibility of White playing safety. The response was merely an attempt to expand upon that scenario.
I got it. You were showing that it's not going to be a thing and with that agreed with you. Rest was just to let reader and OPer know how they do and don't line up.

Also, it's good for everyone to know what Rams have been doing so they can know what positions Williams and White were signed to play. Always good for discussion.

Not meant as any kind of shot at you.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
FWIW, I think the top of this draft class at edge are all number 2 type edges. I don't think there's a dominate edge to be found. Now, I think Murphy and to a lesser extent Newton can be dominant DTs. I think grabbing one of them and another secondary edge type like Young is most likely our best bet in this draft. And that's the pass rush we'll need to live with next year.
The injury risk aside, what about Latu doesn't suggest type 1 edge? In college, he was about as productive and disruptive as any edge prospect in memory.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
D-Will tried nickel for us and did quite poorly. I didn't believe White has played nickel at all. What gives you the impression he has that versatility.
Lake played nickel very well. And Durant. Why wouldn't they just stick with those guys there?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not arguing. I don't remember what were their needs in the 2014 draft? They took LT, DT / S / RB / S / no 5th rd / CB, QB / OL, DB, DE, OL.

QB? They had Bradford. Unfortunately he was injured in preseason and missed the year.
OL? They had Jake Long at LT. Saffold at LG. Wells at C. The acquired Davin Joseph for RG and they had Barksdale at RT. They drafted GRob.
TE? They had Cook and Kendricks
WR? They had Britt, Bailey, Pettis, Quick and Tavon Austin. After Watkins, Evans and OBJ, who was left? Cooks went 20th. Matthews, Davante, ARob and Landry went in the 2nd. Six are still playing from that draft.
RB? They had Stacy, Richardson, Cunningham and Pead. They drafted Mason in the third (the 5th RB off the board) but that was a weak class.

The defense was decent.

They had Quinn, Chris Long and William Hayes who IIRC, played inside and DE.
Brockers and Langford inside. They drafted AD.
At linebacker they had Ogletree, JL and acquired Dunbar.
Corner was solid with Tru Jo, Jenkins and McGee. They drafted EJ Gaines.
Safeties were McLeod and McDonald. They drafted Joyner and Mo Alexander.

I don't remember what their specific needs were though. Looking back that seems like it was a weak draft anyway.
As the recall that year was all about finding a true #1 WR and the Oline, although some wanted Bradford replaced. Jake Long couldn't stay healthy and I believe they needed a guard.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Out of all the players on our CB roster Kendrick’s looks best suited to switch positions. He might be an excellent FS but sure is a liability at CB. That’s even if he can make the team in a much improved secondary
I think he makes the team. IIRC... he has done well in training camps so I wouldn't be surprised if he shows real well this summer either. He is an experienced, veteran NFL player now and if he can get his head on straight he could still be a very good corner. I do agree, however, that Mcvay will have him on a very short leash and this will be his last chance.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The injury risk aside, what about Latu doesn't suggest type 1 edge? In college, he was about as productive and disruptive as any edge prospect in memory.
Good question and to be fair I haven't really watched much of him, just like I haven't really read Mobey Dick. In the case of the former and later, I use a Cliff Notes. My cliff notes happen to be Nate Tice and Dane Brugler. And I've watched just a bit of his tape.

Arm length is gonna be an issue at the next level and I think you could see it against stiffer competition in college. It's not like UCLA was tusseling with the big boys a lot. I think he's gonna have a hard time getting a hand on good tackles. His speed and bend seem good but not elite and sounds like he may not be able to add strength to his frame to help out with the run and speed to power moves.

It sounds like he's maxed out athletically so I think he'll probably be a boom and bust run defender who will outwork some tackles for sacks with great technique and tenacity. Definitely some second effort success.

But he doesn't have the speed, athleticism, height, arm length, and prospect for growth athletically that would make him a top 10 talent or even top 15 talent in this draft.

Now if someone has watched a ton of him, happy to hear differently, or they think there's some untapped potential in him athletically that can be mined, sure. BTW, nothing wrong with being a 2nd tier rusher and hope if we grab him he'll be a high end one! I suspect there's better players for us to draft at 19 though. Of course, maybe I watch more tape and change my mind.

Bad year for edges. No Will Anderson, Bosa, Hutchinson (not really sure he's not a super high 2 himself), Josh Allen, Brian Burns to be found here.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Lake played nickel very well. And Durant. Why wouldn't they just stick with those guys there?
I don't have a prob with that unless Rams wanted DeJean for the reasons I detailed. This was about drafting Mitchell who as far as I know is only an outside corner.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
FWIW, I think there's still a scenario where we pick Dejean. He starts at outside corner, moves inside to Star. Lake has a more permanent spot at safety opposite Curl (though not sure Lake can handle safety full time?). White takes over outside CB and Dejean moves into STAR/nickel when we go 5 DBs. This gives White the runway to play at an accustomed level without too much on him as he recovers from injury.

I really don’t see a CB early at all. Now that Durant isn’t expected to be “the guy”, I forsee him playing the slot at a high level like he did when Ramsey was still here.

And while I think DeJean was made for the “star” position, we’re not even sure that that position is going to exist in Shulas defense. That was more than just a standard nickel corner.