Rams sign Tre'Davious White

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
I got it. You were showing that it's not going to be a thing and with that agreed with you. Rest was just to let reader and OPer know how they do and don't line up.

Also, it's good for everyone to know what Rams have been doing so they can know what positions Williams and White were signed to play. Always good for discussion.

Not meant as any kind of shot at you.
Also not trying to take a shot at you but I believe the Rams may be trying to find 5 talented DBs that have the versatility to play a number of positions depending on the situation. I wouldn’t put it past them to use White at CB or S depending on the situation. That make DeJuan very possible but only likely if they trade down a bit. R1.19 appears to be too rich for DeJuan despite his intensity and flexibility.

Tano

Legend
Well, I think I've shown that you don't always see what is actually happening on the field.

No - you did not but people are tired of this conversation so I won't go into why.

I will have to put you on ignore since you still have a habit of making snide comments that are very insulting.

Bye and good luck.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I really don’t see a CB early at all. Now that Durant isn’t expected to be “the guy”, I forsee him playing the slot at a high level like he did when Ramsey was still here.

And while I think DeJean was made for the “star” position, we’re not even sure that that position is going to exist in Shulas defense. That was more than just a standard nickel corner.
i mean, it's all percentages, really.

Is there any player or position that there's a zero chance the Rams take. I'd say no.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Also not trying to take a shot at you but I believe the Rams may be trying to find 5 talented DBs that have the versatility to play a number of positions depending on the situation.
Agree to a point.

I wouldn’t put it past them to use White at CB or S depending on the situation.
Can't see that. They are not going to put a guy who's neve played safety back there when they have guys who can do that.
Curl is versatile, S, NLB
Williams, CB, slot
Lake, S and Slot
Durant CB and slot
Yeast S and NLB
Ingle, S, CB, LB, slot --- all guesses on that one.
But there is only one BC on team, really, and they are not going to play him at safety.

That make DeJuan very possible but only likely if they trade down a bit. R1.19 appears to be too rich for DeJuan despite his intensity and flexibility.
That, I have no idea. I have no idea what Rams board looks like but I think a CB in first 3 rounds is likely.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
i mean, it's all percentages, really.

Is there any player or position that there's a zero chance the Rams take. I'd say no.
No. But I'd lay odds Philly trades up to get in front of the Rams because they NEED both edge (with Reddick and Sweat being told they could seek trades) or DT (because of Cox retiring). And they believe L.A. is going one of those two ways. Not that they really know but NFL teams know more about each other than NFL fans know about their own team. JMHO.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
No - you did not but people are tired of this conversation so I won't go into why.
Come on. You were just wrong and couldn't accept it. You had fact staring in your face but you would not admit it. You cannot just say things and not have them challenged. Evidence is usually appropriate when you say "Move White to safety" or Rams are bad at 3rd and whatever and then have you change move the goalposts over and over.

Even when you did your own research I had to correct it.

So, yeah. I showed you were just mad and frustrated, which is understandable, but you were making false statements and I proved them wrong about a million times.

It's not forthright to just ignore facts like you did all those times.
I will have to put you on ignore since you still have a habit of making snide comments that are very insulting.

Bye and good luck.
No problem, but when I see your stuff and it's wrong and I will respond. People are always welcome to challenge what I say. But they need to bring facts.

Everyone brings opinion, you me, all of us. But you didn't bring facts.

So good bye and good luck, yourself. I wish you well, but I'd suggest you subscribe to the all-22 and start seeing the fuller picture.

WestCoastRam

Legend
No. But I'd lay odds Philly trades up to get in front of the Rams because they NEED both edge (with Reddick and Sweat being told they could seek trades) or DT (because of Cox retiring). And they believe L.A. is going one of those two ways. Not that they really know but NFL teams know more about each other than NFL fans know about their own team. JMHO.
Interesting, thought Sweat renegotiated or something.

I could see someone trading up for Murphy, I think. Not sure I buy anyone trading up for Verse or Laiatu. But again, all percentages.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I’m unclear on the contract details. How much of it is guaranteed?
If White isn’t getting much guaranteed $$, then nothing changes as far as the CB draft strategy goes. White might be in a position at camp to have to prove he can still play.
An early CB pick would still be an option if that were the case.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never fails to impress how ROD knows better than McVay. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Rams announced the signing as a CB. But with Kamren it was announced as a DB not a Saftey.

Tano

Legend
Never fails to impress how ROD knows better than McVay. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Rams announced the signing as a CB. But with Kamren it was announced as a DB not a Saftey.
I am not saying I know better than McVay

I am saying that they are going to try him at CB and I have never seen a CB overcome an achilles injury.

They are almost always a death knell to a CB

Maybe the surgeries have gotten better the last few years but I have seen too many achilles injuries really reduce a players ability even at other positions. Any position that requires turning on a dime is probably not going to do well with that type of surgery.

And I am thinking maybe he can be a safety because I don't see him recovering enough to be a CB.

But I am probably wrong about his being good enough to be a safety but I still don't have a problem with a one year contract with this guy's ability because even if he isn't able to play well - his knowledge of the game will only benefit others.

Edit - And another thing - how many people on here thought Steve Avila would be a good move going to center (I will admit I was leaning both ways on that conversation) and um .... where is he playing now?

Sometimes couch coaches do know a little about football and can make observations that might actually be accurate.

Maybe not (maybe even probably not) in this case but who really knows until we see it completely play out.

Unless you are a certain someone on this board who knows everything.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I am saying that they are going to try him at CB and I have never seen a CB overcome an achilles injury.

Maybe the surgeries have gotten better the last few years but I have seen too many achilles injuries really reduce a players ability even at other positions. Any position that requires turning on a dime is probably not going to do well with that type of surgery.

And I am thinking maybe he can be a safety because I don't see him recovering enough to be a CB.

But I am probably wrong about his being good enough to be a safety but I still don't have a problem with a one year contract with this guy's ability because even if he isn't able to play well - his knowledge of the game will only benefit others.
I mean it's the same as we saw with Ramsey. What 5 years ago ROD was moving him to safety too because he was losing a step and wasn't as good at CB. This game never seems to end.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
You are right except for the part abut Curl. He was asked what he was going to play and among all the "you know what I'm sayings" he said he was going to play safety ... and paraphrasing "other things".

He going to be one of the starting safeties. Which one, we don't know. there are a couple of ways they can go. But when they want to go nickel --- he is going to stay at safety. If they want to go with dime personnel, he's capable of playing the money backer position Yeast played last year, Rapp before that and JJ III in 2020.

White will be the BC, Williams the FC -- if they play what they did last year (and probably all of White's career) and the nickel will be Lake when they want "big nickel" and Durant when they want 3 CBs in the nickel.

How does that change?

The draft ... Rams could very well draft a CB capable of starting or being the starting nickel. Or they could draft a safety to pair with Curl. Jordan Fuller was a rookie starter and was a late-round pick.

What if Mike Sainristil is there, maybe Rams trade up in 2nd round? He, IMO, would be capable of starting at nickel Day 1. or even Max Melton in the 3rd round ... I don't know how those guys will play in NFL ... but reports are they are good.

Rams could also draft someone who is better outside ... and could supplant White or Williams in camp. That is a longer shot

Taylor or Yeast could play the S next to Curl when Lake is the "nickel".

But I simply do not think they are going to sign White, a CB, and move him to safety. And sign a safety, a position of need, and play that guy at slot ... when he's been playing BS (base) and MLB (nickel) for two years.

Know what I'm sayin'?

Tano

Legend
I mean it's the same as we saw with Ramsey. What 5 years ago ROD was moving him to safety too because he was losing a step and wasn't as good at CB. This game never seems to end.
Ramsey didn't have an achilles injury. A bit different his situation.

I felt he was still playing extremely well but that Morris had him playing in a position that suited him extremely well for most of the game but also had a tendency to allow Ramsey to get burned when Ramsey guessed wrong.

I felt Morris should have played Ramsey in more of a man situation but that was just my preference. And again - what do I know - I am a couch coach who is probably more wrong than right.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Interesting Point.

I was trying to think of a Cornerback that came back from a torn Achilles but couldn't come-up with one.

Then I tried to think of a good CB that failed to come back from a torn Achilles. Again, couldn't think of one.

Then I got tired, and took a nap.

Seriously, I did not do a deep-dive but other than Jason Verrett (who had an assortment of serious injuries),
I can not think of CBs who have suffered torn Achilles. There must be some.

When you posted your comment, were you thinking of any specific cornerbacks?

PARAM

Hall of Fame

I don't keep up on achilles injuries unless it's someone big.....Aaron Rodgers, Terrell Suggs, etc.....or a Ram.....Akers, Noteboom. I've tried to research it and the names I see are JK Dobbins, Marlon Mack, Branden Oliver, Keanu Neal, James Robinson, Justice Hill, Tarik Cohen, Damontae Kazee, Will Dissly and in other sports Kobie Bryant, Kevin Durant. Safety Keanu Neal tore his in 2019 (14 GS in 2020). Safety Damontae Kazee tore his in 2020 (15 GS in 2021). Who are all these CBs who've torn achilles and 'almost always' suffered a "death knell"? I don't doubt it, I'm just asking.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ramsey didn't have an achilles injury. A bit different his situation.

I felt he was still playing extremely well but that Morris had him playing in a position that suited him extremely well for most of the game but also had a tendency to allow Ramsey to get burned when Ramsey guessed wrong.

I felt Morris should have played Ramsey in more of a man situation but that was just my preference. And again - what do I know - I am a couch coach who is probably more wrong than right.
So are we going to change him to a more FS type who has to ring more and cover more ground or turn him into a SS hitter type which he clearly isn't built for at around 190 lbs?

Tano

Legend
I don't keep up on achilles injuries unless it's someone big.....Aaron Rodgers, Terrell Suggs, etc.....or a Ram.....Akers, Noteboom. I've tried to research it and the names I see are JK Dobbins, Marlon Mack, Branden Oliver, Keanu Neal, James Robinson, Justice Hill, Tarik Cohen, Damontae Kazee, Will Dissly and in other sports Kobie Bryant, Kevin Durant. Safety Keanu Neal tore his in 2019 (14 GS in 2020). Safety Damontae Kazee tore his in 2020 (15 GS in 2021). Who are all these CBs who've torn achilles and 'almost always' suffered a "death knell"? I don't doubt it, I'm just asking.
The one that really pops in my head is the Ram CB who tore his achilles in 2017 (I think) and didn't come back.

And then there was Akers who had some good games as a RB after hurting his achilles but was done after one year. And even then I don't think he was the same type of RB for the majority of that year.

Both the RBs and CBs have to turn on a dime.

Tano

Legend
So are we going to change him to a more FS type who has to ring more and cover more ground or turn him into a SS hitter type which he clearly isn't built for at around 190 lbs?
I am hoping that Free Safety is a good position for him

Free safeties may have to cover a lot of ground but I believe they don't have to turn on a dime as often as a CB does.

But then again - wtf do I know.